MiceAge Rumor: Disney Jr. Closing In April '17 - Marvel Plans???

truecoat

I do have to wonder if it's ever going to change.

That building and its story are very very weird. Adding 1940s Cap (it is the 40s?) right next to Mission Breakout isn't going to solve anything. To back that type of thing up, they'd have to make a conscious effort with attractions and architecture to match. I doubt that a fortress turned power plant is ever going to jive with the area. Unlike some others I don't find it truly offensive (I actually think it's one of the oddest most interesting buildings I've ever seen. Pretty cool). I do understand it is seemingly out of place though.

Although the original Cap movie was in the 40's they followed through with the story line to bring him into modern times. My guess is it will be an attraction in present day.

GrizzlyAdams

Eisner was terrible and Co-President during the Disney renaissance. Once Wells died and Eisner took full reign it all went to decline into ruin. Comparing him to Iger is not fair and not accurate.

Earl Sweatpants

Iger was good for the company...but he never seems to "get it", imho...he never LOVED the company. He got us a bunch of new nerd toys to play with, and gave exactly that to us.

He is Eisner 2.0, frankly, and retiring before he gets desperate and has to make his flower drop juice, as Eisner did.

What I mean by that is partially tenure. Eisner revitalized the whole company, and spent his political and creative (limited, but important) wealth on what we know as the 90s...then he entered a slump phase, and Disney is entering that now again.

And, Iger, who saw it through another up cycle...is jumping ship.

Make sense?
It makes total sense.

In pure terms of dollars and cents, Iger has done wonders for Disney (yes, I'll admit it). BUT, he has done it at the expense of keeping Disney as a true leader in creativity. Bob Iger is not a creative person. He just isn't. I'm convinced he only knows money. And in his mind, money can just go out and BUY creativity. Without Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel, Disney is in the dumps. Disney has had only a small handful of actual successes since his tenure (and frankly, I blame the Pixar acquisition for successes like Frozen and Zootopia).

Follow my crude analogy here, but if Disney was a body, and Iger was charged with making it look muscular, rather than hit the gym and work hard, Iger has chosen to quickly inject the body with Star Wars Steroids, Pixar Pills, and Marvel Muscles.

At the end of the day, if it doesn't make Disney a boat-load of cash, its not worth pursuing. Synergy Synergy Synergy!

Curious Constance

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but I truly believe the entire Disney company has experienced another golden age under Bob Iger. Nobody's perfect and of course there are always things to complain about but if you think back to where the company was when he took over from Michael Eisner... the movies, the parks, the tv networks were all in decline Bob Iger revitalized each of those and made them more financially successful and popular than ever. We can complain about the implementations Marvel of Star Wars in the parks but at least they're expanding the parks and not just closing attractions and letting unessential theming rot and disappear.

I'm completely serious, and you're my new favorite person!

D

Deleted member 107043

BUT, he has done it at the expense of keeping Disney as a true leader in creativity.

It could be argued that Disney hasn't been a creatively driven company since Walt passed away. When the company was in the toilet Eisner stepped in and switched the business to a brand/content driven model, and it worked (more or less). Iger has essentially fine-tuned that strategy taking the organization into places I don't think anyone would have ever thought possible (LucasFilm, Marvel, etc). I hate some of the impacts some of this has had on DL, but the public seems to love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It could be argued that Disney hasn't been a creatively driven company since Walt passed away. When the company was in the toilet and Eisner stepped in and switched the business to a brand/content driven model, and it worked (more or less). Iger has essentially fine-tuned that strategy taking the organization into places I don't think anyone would have ever thought possible (LucasFilm, Marvel, etc). I hate some of the impacts some of this has had on DL, but the public seems to love it.
The later Eisner, I would agree. But, 80s Eisner seemed to really love leading the company and, thanks to Roy, brought it back to glory, and even improved it in many ways. Even messes like DCA were, in the long run, a solid investment. Latter Eisner, under pressure from investers after that whole mess...changed.

Earl Sweatpants

It could be argued that Disney hasn't been a creatively driven company since Walt passed away. When the company was in the toilet and Eisner stepped in and switched the business to a brand/content driven model, and it worked (more or less). Iger has essentially fine-tuned that strategy taking the organization into places I don't think anyone would have ever thought possible (LucasFilm, Marvel, etc). I hate some of the impacts some of this has had on DL, but the public seems to love it.
Well, to be as sincere as I can...a large majority of the general public isn't that bright and doesn't really care one way or the other (which makes it even easier for corporate to just see as walking wallets).

Let's not forget though that under the Eisner/Wells administration, they were able to have a new renaissance of Disney animation all on their own. Pixar was only a distribution deal. Granted the post-Wells Eisner didn't do a lot of stuff well, but I think on principle he believed in Disney's own ability to be successful as opposed to Iger's "if you can't beat em, buy em out" mentality.

TP2000

Original Poster
Mice Chat never missed a beat, but they have been punished for reporting on the drama along the way. Star Wars was a real bumpy road. One of the rare times where it was bumpy because it wasn't good enough though instead of constant cuts.

I've been reading Al Lutz and his Miceage Updates, on one IP address or another, since the late 1990's. I followed his reporting on the Star Wars In Disneyland saga particularly closely during the 2007-2014 timeframe. That's exactly how I surmise the Miceage coverage of this complex and changing issue played out as well.

But for someone who just clued in on the topic in 2009 or 2012 or 2015, I could see how they would blame Miceage for reporting incorrectly on this evolving story.

Walt Disney would have been crucified online if the Internet existed 60 years ago. Can you imagine the blogger kids in their basement calling Walt a loser for abandoning his Edison Square concept in 1959 in favor of the Carousel of Progress by 1964?

And whatever happened to the Museum of the Weird?!? Walt is such a bald-faced liar!

yookeroo

It makes total sense.

In pure terms of dollars and cents, Iger has done wonders for Disney (yes, I'll admit it). BUT, he has done it at the expense of keeping Disney as a true leader in creativity. Bob Iger is not a creative person. He just isn't. I'm convinced he only knows money. And in his mind, money can just go out and BUY creativity. Without Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel, Disney is in the dumps. Disney has had only a small handful of actual successes since his tenure (and frankly, I blame the Pixar acquisition for successes like Frozen and Zootopia).

Unusual use of the word "blame".

Why should Iger be creative? Acquiring creative companies sure seems like a good thing that he should get credit for, I don't see this as a bad thing.

mickEblu

Unusual use of the word "blame".

Why should Iger be creative? Acquiring creative companies sure seems like a good thing that he should get credit for, I don't see this as a bad thing.

I agree he should definitely get credit for that. But just give us some balance at the parks like lets see an Aladdin E ticket or Mary Poppins ride (reboot coming soon) with the Star Wars and Marvel lands, TL Takeovers and Marvel overlays.

I get it. Marvel and Lucasfilm have recently been acquired and will get the majority of the attention for the foreseeable future but it's hard for me to see any substantial additions coming to Anaheim in the next couple decades that aren't Marvel or Star Wars related. Which makes what the heck they re going to do with TL even more of a head scratcher. We know it won't be original IP stuff or maybe it will. Maybe it's how they balance everything out. Or most likely they re not concerned with it at all. Maybe just a cleanup, facade redos and a new ride at at the COP building.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I agree he should definitely get credit for that. But just give us some balance at the parks like lets see an Aladdin E ticket or Mary Poppins ride (reboot coming soon) with the Star Wars and Marvel lands, TL Takeovers and Marvel overlays.

Don't you think the classics have had their fair share of representation in the parks up to now? Do we really need another ride, E ticket or otherwise, based on storybook characters?

mickEblu

Don't you think the classics have had their fair share of representation in the parks up to now? Do we really need another ride, E ticket or otherwise, based on storybook characters?

No, I think their are a few more that should have some representation and could make for quality attractions. Am I the only one that sees the potential for a suspended Aladdin e ticket? Thrilling escape from the cave of wonders? What they could do with a scene for "a whole new world" in 2017 if they put some budget behind it. A marriage between the scenes from the movie and that ride system (upgraded of course) is a slam dunk.

mickEblu

It could be argued that Disney hasn't been a creatively driven company since Walt passed away. When the company was in the toilet Eisner stepped in and switched the business to a brand/content driven model, and it worked (more or less). Iger has essentially fine-tuned that strategy taking the organization into places I don't think anyone would have ever thought possible (LucasFilm, Marvel, etc). I hate some of the impacts some of this has had on DL, but the public seems to love it.

I'm curious, which impacts do you hate ?

GiveMeTheMusic

I have two objections to the Iger reign. One, he has let Walt Disney World nearly destroy itself. It is in such horrific shape. Yeah, they're building Pandora, Toy Story and Star Wars, and maybe one day those things will actually open. But by 2020, when all that's finished, he'll have been looking down the barrel of 15 years of complete and utter neglect. I do not give him credit for investing in MM+. There's zero reason why MM+ couldn't have accompanied physical infrastructure changes that resort desperately needs. Could you imagine Walt's reaction to seeing everyone on property using effing buses to get around? Buses. He would lose his damn mind. MK is the worst castle park in the world, hands down. Fantasyland is a joke. Capacity is at the same level as 1994 only now, ten more million people a year come through. Iger has let WDW fall apart on his watch, and yes, I blame him entirely.

My second objection to Iger is that he does not view themed entertainment as its own storytelling medium. He views it solely as a platform to synergize film and TV properties. It certainly can and should do that, but he does not value theme parks on their own merits. He doesn't seem to be particularly interested in them at all. You can say a lot about Eisner, and I'd agree with most of it, but Eisner loved the parks as a medium, on their own terms. He still visits them.

I just came up with a third one. Disney is a toxic organization, in every way. Politics, petty in-fighting, terrible management - and it's from the top right on down. I could tell you stories about the Team Disney Burbank building that would curdle the almond milk in your non-dairy smoothie. Same for every other leg of the company. Iger did nothing to stop the toxic culture Eisner implemented - in fact, he fostered it. It drives people who truly care and want to make a creative difference out of the company, while rewarding the worst people who don't care about Disney at all and are just there because it's a job.

BrianLo

There's still a Frozen E-ticket and a Mickey ride that are coming along and/or percolating. Fantasy Faire and Mermaid really aren't that far removed either. I realize the immediate things we are seeing are Star Wars and Marvel, but both are currently unbalanced and underrepresented compared to the princesses.

In terms of "major" additions credited to Iger's tenure - we'll see two Star Wars E-tickets, a Marvel E-ticket and E-ticket overlay, a Princess E-ticket (Frozen) and C-ticket (Mermaid), a Pixar E-ticket (RSR), D-ticket (TSMM) + two minor attractions and a Mickey & friends E-ticket.

The only thing not balanced is new creations, but the IP is actually pretty balanced.

Californian Elitist

I just came up with a third one. Disney is a toxic organization, in every way. Politics, petty in-fighting, terrible management - and it's from the top right on down. I could tell you stories about the Team Disney Burbank building that would curdle the almond milk in your non-dairy smoothie. Same for every other leg of the company. Iger did nothing to stop the toxic culture Eisner implemented - in fact, he fostered it. It drives people who truly care and want to make a creative difference out of the company, while rewarding the worst people who don't care about Disney at all and are just there because it's a job.

I agree with your entire post, but this last paragraph is so damn true, at least for me. Management is indeed horrible. And yep, I love the company Walt Disney created and always wanted to work for it, but after working for the Mouse, I'd say I'd never work for them again. I remember when I left Disneyland, friends kept asking me to come back, but I've vowed to never return. To be honest it kind of ruined my outlook on the company, as it currently stands.

Multiple people in my family have worked for Disney at some point in some form and the majority of us feel the same. My uncle warned me, but I had to see for myself. Glad I had my experience with the company before graduating from college, as I would have definitely pursued an executive position with them post graduation. Would have been a waste of time.

BrianLo

One, he has let Walt Disney World nearly destroy itself. It is in such horrific shape.

This. Iger is a terrible creative, but he deserves credit for making smart acquisitions and not meddling with the people who are creatives. Eisner's flaw was that he cared and wanted to be involved in the creative process, but he wasn't totally great as being said creative. He meddled too much and eventually chased the people who mattered outside of the company.

Whether they be the Pixar story collective, Kevin, Kathleen etc. Iger lets them do their thing and those people have had a very positive trickle down effect. The worry is if a creative CEO comes on board, they may feel the need to meddle in the studios, which are currently actually working. Nearly every film division is on a positive trajectory - even if live action dips back into the well a little too often, it says a lot that despite Pixar having a very, very well reviewed sequel out this year, two original WDAS creations are up for the oscar.

The international parks continue to bumble along, but unlike 2005 there is generally a good deal of hope between Hong Kong, Paris and certainly Shanghai.

Disneyland is having a major renaissance and DCA has actually become a wonderful park, despite the many misgivings of the infusion of non-princess IP creep. Which is great for the general health of the parks, but not so much for the 90's addicted millennial narrow vision of the parks.

But WDW is just a freaking disaster. Eisner really deserves all credit for creating WDW as a true theme park center of the universe - and also sending it on its downhill spiral. Iger has done absolutely nothing to course correct. Unlike nearly every division where there are at least some "creatives" who get it. WDW from top to bottom has been infected with useless suits. From Iger, to Staggs, to Rasulo to TDO overall. There is no one there to save it.

I kind of like Chapek though. Maybe he doesn't have the greatest creative vision, but he seems to be one of the few people with some authority who finally sees what a complete utter disaster TDO/WDW is. If the new CEO is able to see the same thing, perhaps WDW can stop circling the drain.

mickEblu

There's still a Frozen E-ticket and a Mickey ride that are coming along and/or percolating. Fantasy Faire and Mermaid really aren't that far removed either. I realize the immediate things we are seeing are Star Wars and Marvel, but both are currently unbalanced and underrepresented compared to the princesses.

In terms of "major" additions credited to Iger's tenure - we'll see two Star Wars E-tickets, a Marvel E-ticket and E-ticket overlay, a Princess E-ticket (Frozen) and C-ticket (Mermaid), a Pixar E-ticket (RSR), D-ticket (TSMM) + two minor attractions and a Mickey & friends E-ticket.

The only thing not balanced is new creations, but the IP is actually pretty balanced.

Fair enough. Especially if Frozen and Mickey are Es. Do we know how much of a done deal the Mickey ride is at this point?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom