Trip Report Mexican guy Freezes in Alaska (aka Disney Wonder Alaska trip)

disneywonderintro.jpg

Hello Guys!

I have been reminded constantly (lol) to post my trip report. I was of course.. busy.
Not much time to think other than work.
cantthinkanymoreimages.jpg

Thanks god, today (rainy day in my hometown) and after exactly 1 month since my Alaska trip.
Finally have some time to post something!!.

Anyway..

ROLLCALL!:

"Victims": My mother(64) and Yours Truly (31).
Place: Disney Wonder (Verandah room, AFT-Starboard area )
Total Days: 10 (7 Cruise + 3 in Vancouver)
Hometown: Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico (The Wonder visits us during its Panama Cruise itinerary)

Departure:
It was a gloriously (and hot) day at Gustavo Diaz Ordaz PVR International airport.
After waiting patiently for 6 months.. The departure day was finally here!
We booked via WestJet to Vancouver (route PVR-Calgary-Vancouver). It was pretty balanced in price and time. As We did not want to touch the United States for 5 hours just to change of planes (lol)

DSC_0008.JPG

Our plane!

Boarding with Wesjet was kinda slow, the plane was definitively packed.
Also, the layout of these 737 planes is interesting. If you see the above photo. There are 2 sections with missing windows, these are the "undesirable" and "cheaper" seats.
Despite my research I did not know this, I was right behind the first missing area, so we had a window next to me, but not a bit infront like in other planes. (My mother could not see much of the trip lol)

Here is a video of the take off:

As you see, we unfortunately got 2 babies nearby in the plane, one infront and one behind us. And the one behind us... cried ALL THE FLIGHT.
The worst? One of the babies followed us from Calgary to Vancouver as well. Good thing she didn't cry much in the last part of the trip... Still annoying.

Definitively not a small trip in any way for me. Probably the longest in distance since my trip to Orlando via Houston.
map.jpg

I was actually surprised on how big the Nevada desert was. Canyons and red sands for hours!

After 5 hours of flight, we finally approached Calgary.

Interestingly... the plane was always flying WAY SLOWER in the United States air space (400-450mph vs 490-510mph on Mexico and Canada)

Customs was sort of slow, but way faster than other places I've seen (like Houston International), I Of course have one of these "safe traveler" cards that lets me get pretty fast in Houston.
Also, I was surprised that the customs officer at Calgary spoke in a bit of Spanish. So we had no problem explaining our trip.
We got our stamps and good to go!

Finding the new plane wasn't that hard, unfortunately it was a lot of walk.
It was the LAST gate in the terminal. almost completely opposite from where we disembarked lol.

map2.jpg

Then we finally arrived to Vancouver!

Since it was almost empty due of being one of the last flights... We decided to take the METRO.
I honestly had a lot of trouble figuring out how to buy the tickets there. They really have no much explanation other than colors and areas.
Finally a gentlemen explained how to use them (cue my broken english) and when we were inside.. We were surprised that they didn't check if you had purchased or not??
What a difference in culture and education! ( In Mexico there is always a guard in every entrance of the Metro, to ensure you pay and use your ticket)

Anyway, when we were waiting for the Metro, we found a pair of Mexicans who were travelling too. They kindly told us which metro train to take and which one. We were lucky as the next one went exactly where we needed to go ( Canada Place).

So once arrived, we had to walk a total of 2 blocks to get to our hotel: THE PAN PACIFIC HOTEL

It was.. of course.. VERY LATE. We were exhausted for the long trip and carrying (specially me) the bags.

And first problem of the day!!!

After checking in and getting our stuff. We go to our room and we found that.. The hotel was OVERSOLD and that the room that I had reserved and prepaid 8 months ago. Was occupied by some clients who stayed more than they should have.
So they gave us the only free room left. A single king.
I had to order a rollaway bed and complained about that. I was really ed.. 8 months in advance and they still didn't get the room I wanted?? unbelievable.

The worst part is that the guy lied, claiming it was my reservation company that incorrectly reserved the king instead of the doubles.
On the next day when asking for the switch very early.. We seen another group who had the same issue as us, except they were 3 persons and they had to share a single king.
(later when I complained in tripadvisor, the administrator knowledged that the hotel was at 100% capacity and some guests decided to stay longer than they had reserved)

View of our Hotel Room (floor 14 HARBOUR VIEW)

DSC_0013.JPG

Anyway.. they insisted in the next day they could compensate of that and gave us the correct room.

They even moved our stuff(bags) while we were out in Victoria.. but that's for the next part of our trip...

(Continuing in next post..)

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Original Poster
Day 1 in Vancouver:
Ms Zuiderdam Docks at Canada place, Victoria, Butchart Gardens and Vancouver Island.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

While my mother was busy changing and showering, I noticed these group of guys training.

Also the MS Zuiderdam docking.

DSC_0027.JPG

One we got ready, we went to get some breakfast in the restaurants on the area of the convention center. right next to the cruise terminal.
Not so bad, but pretty expensive. A normal trend in Vancouver. (everything seems to be above 10 USD)
75949_791225587585158_4677447710309117510_n.jpg

We were delighted to see the "Ms Zuiderdam" docket at Canada Place's terminal.

Funny thing that it looked pretty empty, not so much people came down after it started unloading.
(In contrast of the Disney Wonder, which clearly did show crapload of people)

Anyway, we went back to ask for tickets and things we could do.. specifically visiting VANCOUVER ISLAND for the city of Victoria. (My mother had visited there with my late father ... like.. 20 years ago)

The Lady there was very efficient and I instantly noticed her key cross. I asked about them and yes, she confirmed she was a member of the "Concierge Association of the Crossed Keys" a la "The Grand Budapest Hotel". She even had a photo about one of their meetings. Very funny.

Anyway, we got horrified that we were only 10 minutes away from the last tour group leaving to Victoria. She made a few calls and ensured we were waited for.. no less than 2 minutes after.. The taxi was already waiting for us, delivered us to the Bus terminal and we were on our way to Vancouver Island.

The trip to the ferry terminal was a BOREFEST.

Tthe driver was a kinda old guy on his 50's with the MOST BORING HISTORY CLASS TEACHER VOICE YOU CAN IMAGINE. He took like 20 seconds too long to deliver the punchlines of his jokes. Awful lol!
By the time we were reaching the terminal. We were ALL falling asleep.
We of course woke up by the excitement of those giant ferry ships from BC Ferries.

We also witnessed an accident in the expensive area of Vancouver, Some car ran over 2 cyclists.. we were there as other drivers Helped one cyclist to move away from the scene while the other was.. badly hurt.
By the time we cleared the accident area, we had already seen how they loaded the poor dude in.

Then we witnessed something that here in Mexico are not used to. The big rivers filled with logs and tree trunks. The industry of Tree cutting!

Anyway, after 30 minutes or so of travelling and enduring boring jokes:

We arrived to the terminal. we waited around 20 minutes until the new ship unloaded the cars and buses arriving from Vancouver Island.

DSC_0054.JPG

First part was kinda boring, but once we got near the Islands surrounding the Vancouver Island area. It was gorgeous, a lot of parts to see and take photos. Also busy waterway! lots of ferries back and fort.

Interesting that it was overcast and with little clouds, but then the clouds got more chubbified and randomly started to rain.
Now.. the climate was good. The problem was the wind. The bursts of wind hurt like daggers and from a hot day to pretty cold... I was already covered with a Light Jacket.

DSC_0065.JPG

Unfortunately, I could not use my anti rain protection apparatus for my camera. Too windy.
So we decided to get lunch inside the ship (which was REALLY BIG.. never seen a ferry ship that big!)
It had 7 Decks I think.. 3 , 4 and 5 were for buses and cars, 6 was the restaurant and shopping area and deck 7 was for all the people who wanted to sit down and wait.

We undocked approximately 1 hour and so after.. and we immediately begin moving towards Butchart Gardens.

Our driver was again saying super boring stuff (nothing really tourist in most of the way, mostly explanations of why someone lives "there" and who owns "that")

So after another 30 mins or more of driving, we finally hit the BUTCHART GARDENS.

At this moment.. the weather was going between bad to fair. Clouds constantly raining hard for a few minutes then nothing then more rain and so on..

DSC_0101.JPG

They even had free umbrellas for the visitors.
We exchanged our tickets (they were included in the tour price) and entered. The place is absolutely gorgeous. We still had to hurry as they only gave us 2 hours to visit all the park.

For those who loves Nature, trees and specifically flowers.. Butchart Gardens is your PARADISE.

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

We just followed the recommended trail path and we stopped constantly to take photos. There is so much to see!

ESQJhKO.jpg

DSC_0116.JPG

Welp, Reached the limit of Attached files!

No biggie!

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Original Poster
aQ0xPmT.jpg

Look at those flowers!

5La3jm9.jpg

gxKqmCy.jpg

Find the Bumblebee!
sZCDZsi.jpg

qY5cOKK.jpg

v8An3sP.jpg

How about a closeup?
3EmGNQb.jpg

Fun part is how the park is divided in "Sections".
Walking past a division of each section and you enter a forest like area!

y9WFaJh.jpg

With Moss covered sculptures.
E7ug22z.jpg

YWIk2Ko.jpg

You walk a bit further thought the same path.. and you end right in the start of this gorgeous garden!

8VbrZn1.jpg

G5LiTlo.jpg

Every corner, flowers flowers!
tMrBGx3.jpg

It started to rain again as we left the covered area. No biggie, we had our branded Umbrellas!

uXAEJJ6.jpg

less than 1 minute.. and it stopped raining with sun.. WEIRD WEATHER!
eyVLpw9.jpg

VkC70Da.jpg

pTYzgwP.jpg

I dont know if they added Mutagen (joke related to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) to the plants.. because they were all gorgeous, filled with flowers with gorgeous bright colors!

How about Sum panoramas?
SRF29eI.jpg

PbLGWRB.jpg

IXLGM7e.jpg

And that is for today, will continue uploading tomorrow!

Also, wishing this area had no image limit. Having a hard limit of a total of 20 images is not fun.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Original Poster
We continued our path around the gorgeous plant life, going up and down in the passage.
Pretty sure we missed some pathways but we were in a hurry to see as much we could in the little time we had.

Water areas at Butchart's Gardens
DSC_0182.jpg

Mini composite-Panorama!
aN0r88J.jpg

The farthest part of the Park, big pond with a fountain.
This spot was pretty popular for group photos as you see.
VxPhnce.jpg

Giant Trunks, some trees were supposedly older than 100 years old.
DSC_0198.jpg

The Variety of plantlife was really awesome to see.
Heres me with my umbrella. Notice the clean sky and sun? dont get too happy.. it was raining merely 10 seconds earlier!
DSC_0200.jpg

Main flower area seen from another angle.

look at those purple trees!
DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

And in the other side. More figures covered in moss (right in the middle of the pic, behind the dark tree)

DSC_0209.jpg

Love the tone of these purple trees!
DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0217 (2).jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

These thingies move with the wind, doing very cool effects as they move.
I took the photo in time as they synced. (they were 2 different rotating systems, they had blades like spoons)
v2OW2M6.jpg

Then we have these monstruous Flowers.
They were as big as Basketball balls!!
Db203BA.jpg

WwswxLz.jpg

More on the next post...

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Original Poster
The next area was the rose Garden, I only took photos with my mother on them so let's jump ahead to the Japanese Garden.

Id say I really love the feel of the Japanese Garden.

PjvmRfI.jpg

All trees filled with dense moss and mini rivers everywhere.

We were walking pretty fast now, we were running out of time. Still I had time to the quick photo.
Note that it started to rain again!.

So I had a hard time focusing the camera, carrying my camera bag and hold the umbrella lol.
DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg
Note the Water drops "shadow" near the lens of the camera.

DSC_0268.jpg

Ponds, some had the classic Japanese Fish (koi?)

DSC_0271.jpg
Other had these classic bamboo fountains (Swing back and fort)

DSC_0272.jpg
Of course, more flowers!

DSC_0274.jpg
Great variety of trees and Bushes.

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

We left the Japanese Garden and entered an italian and german like garden.

V2NS50I.jpg

lM7JYG8.jpg

g69iyCU.jpg

3o1bJtr.jpg

A8oayIH.jpg

Pnn3IKt.jpg

Then to the "Ring" area.

vEfKRpi.jpg

d1Zjwk4.jpg

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Original Poster
We had a few minutes left, so my mother decided to hunt for some souvenirs.
They sold from seeds to classic cheap stuff in the store.
I really wanted to try one of these German hotdogs as well (they had a restaurant a few quick food stands).
But the vendor went backstage as I got close (what a shame!).

Then we had to say good bye to Butchart Gardens.
Gorgeous place, but we really wished we could have more than 2 hours.

We boarded the bus as it started to rain again, we left the brand umbrellas in convenient bags in the parking lot... and started to suffer another insane borefest of 1 hour and half as we went to the city of Victoria.

DlJVpiu.gif

The bus driver then gave us a very condensed "tour". From the Chinatown zone, the story of it, the hotel Empress and many other areas.
The bad was.. when the bus driver (clearly had a secondary job than tour driver) started to suggest hotels and restaurants left and right. He knew all the PRICES OF ALMOST ALL THE PRODUCTS!! ridiculous!
We wanted to see tour of the important areas! and this guy was focusing more on marketing!

Anyway, the bus parked 1 block away, behind the EMPRESS HOTEL. And we decided to walk around to the hotel, and then to the big garden of the Victoria statue park zone.

The first, was of course... The Empress Hotel.

First, there is a really nice garden with flowers on the side of the Empress Hotel (between its parking area)
DSC_0316.jpg

My mother posing with the flowers!

Then we took a few pictures of the front.
DSC_0320.jpg

The hotel is definitively impressive on the façade. also, look at that deep purple tree!

Then we walked a block to get to the main park. Where the statue of Victoria is.
DSC_0324.jpg

And of course, the statue of Victoria herself!
DSC_0326.jpg

have a composite panorama!

25MYhR5.jpg

After that, we went to go to find something to eat. We walked a lot and man.. I am still ed at how many DELIS and starbucks clones the Vancouver and Victoria cities have. They are everywhere!!!.
Its like a town that favours hipsters way too much.

Anyway, after trying to find something good.. We ended selecting an italian restaurant. We were in a hurry then as we only had 40 minutes left... and there was a big line to enter said restaurant.
Since we were only 2, we got seated fairly quickly (thank god!) and we ordered simple salads and basic stuff.. We ate fast and we managed to get to the Bus but with no trouble.

Then again, we started the boooring trip with the same bus driver. Back to the BC Ferries terminal.
We had to wait like 1 hour and half in the terminal because the Ferry had engine problems.
Once it was fixed we boarded to return to Vancouver.
The trip was no issue, except for the bus driver who now started to advertise where to get condos or timeshares.. so tourists can rent and/or buy to visit Vancouver often (really???)

We got finally back to the hotel lobby to get our cards with new keys for the new room.
The new room was in the same floor 6 doors away. Finally with doubles and wider view to the harbour.
So we got to sleep quickly after changing. We had to sleep early because the next day... friend of my mother (who lives in Vancouver) invited us for a tour of West Vancouver and Downtown Vancouver (including Gas Town).

Day 2 Vancouver

We decided to be cheap this time and go to the fast food area, It was not far, just go downstairs to the big convention center doors and there is a second row of stairs with a long hallway.
This leads to the food court that is across-down the street. This saves time trying to cross the street from above.

The food court as nice stairs right outside, and a small waterfall with water fountain.
20140831_092245.jpg

Most restaurants were of course.. closed and only 3 of breakfasts were open (including subway).
I decided to go for a tuna subway sammich and my mother went to this Greek deli/breakfast whose owner spoke spanish (what a surprise!)

Once we were done, we returned to our room to wait for my Mother's friend.

That didnt took long, We hugged, meet, greeted..etc..etc.. and went our way.
Funnily as soon she was approaching the hotel, It started to rain.. HARD.
Thanks god the PanPacific as a protected area for load and unload right infront of the hotel. So we had no trouble getting in the car.

First quick stop was the Torch of the older 2010 Olympic Winter games.
DSC_0365.JPG
It was raining hard!
Anyway I managed to get a decent shot. I also didn't noticed the Lego orca until I reviewed the picture!

Then we went our way using small roads towards the Lion's Gate bridge.
DSC_0366.JPG

The entire Vancouver area was under heavy rain that day.
DSC_0367.JPG

until... we crossed the bridge LOL.
as soon we crossed the bridge, the whole place started to clear and rain stopped as well.

We went to a local beach that is famous for its big Logs that wash ashore.
All these logs are pushed by the currents after they were lost either by falling from the logging ships/boats or from the reservoirs.

DSC_0375.JPG
This area also gave a beautiful view of the Bridge and the outer area of the Stanley Park.

Note that it was not raining anymore!
DSC_0380.JPG

This bird was eyeing me. I'm surprised on how big the wildlife is in Vancouver. Similar birds in my hometown are like.. 1/3 their size.

Same with the crows, our crows are tiny compared to the monsters you see in Vancouver!.

Anyway, This part of the trip got kinda boring, because my mother decided to go to church in a local catholic church for mass, meet the local catholics and also to request some donations for those in dire need in Mexico.

So, While my mother was in church, I decided to go take some photos of the area. The beach was pretty close from the church, just 4 blocks.
Also surprising how nice the people are. They stop to let you pass all the time.

I felt like Gandalf "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"
GBSw0GF.gif

Some photos of the roads and the Beach.
ckVay6u.jpg

Which was actually pretty nice walk. No rain, perfect climate, little wind and lots of green!

sQz0hQs.jpg

Some crappy composite panorama of the beach area.
Lots of people doing exercise and some adorable dogs running along too!
002B24s.jpg

This fellow was constantly eyeing me.

After 30 mins or so. decided to go back, and found that some "faithful" had hit the car of my mother's friend. Not amused.
The worse is that once they noticed I was taking photos, they were thinking I was a undercover cop and tried to make excuses. I told him I was a tourist and that was my mother's friend's car.
Then they claimed that it was My mother's friend who hit her.. YEAAAH RIIIIIGHT.
Anyway.. took photo of the damage and the car for posterity.
3KB1zFG.jpg

And since they are also Mexicans and go to the same church as my mother's friend.
Wont be very hard to find and make them pay for the damage (the defence of the car was damaged and paint ruined)

Then after they left (in a hurry) my mother and her friend finally got out and I explained the whole ordeal.
She was not amused.

I then was presented my mother's friends's son. And we went to have a walk to the other beach area (and restaurant zone) nearby while my mother was talking to the other churchgoers about the funds and donations.

It was a pleasant walk I must say, despite the difficulty in speaking spanish of the fellow guy (same as my difficulty speaking english lol)
SlwC1wv.jpg

Composite panorama of the pier

It also had a nice restaurant and many coffees.
LQRztH6.jpg

The famous earth ball, that is constantly moving and is soaked in water.

It was now hot temp wise (Id say in the 20'sCelsious ) and the clouds mostly cleared.

MmjbsxM.jpg

After walking a bit more and sitting near a restaurant so the guy could get some free wifi.
I noticed this weird plan... I wonder if anyone can identify it. It was pale white, like a mushroom infested flower plant.
I had never seen these before in my whole life.
1fsAeUs.jpg

The ghostly plant

After finally returning to the church area and getting pick up.
My mother's friend insisted in trying to go to a famous restaurant with a very wide view of the whole Vancouver area.
It unfortunately was closed, but they did let me take photos from their viewing area.
The entire vancouver zone was cleared almost completely from clouds... wow!
Unfortunately, there was some fog-smog that didnt look very well in photos.

kQDksU5.jpg

View from the top of the viewing restaurant.

There were a LOT of ships docked in the river and the outer bay.
Kmqz6BQ.jpg

Then we decided to find somewhere to eat, not so expensive and tasty.
So we decided to check a local area with lots of small little restaurants. We decided for Indian food.

We surprisingly found that there was a small marketplace for local products and we walked around. We found a lot of nice products!.
Some of them were produced by immigrants from all over the world.
Like bread from Ukraine and France, Chocolates from Switzerland and Germany.
Coffee from Colombia..etc..
I instantly got attracted to a bakery stand that had some gorgeous looking Brownies.. NO CONTEST! I bought 2!
They were DELICIOUS!
Funnily, the stand next door.. there were some Mexicans living in vancouver for a decade or so.. selling imported mole poblano, marmalades, jams and spicy salsas.
We talked a bit and then we went in to the Indian buffete.
The buffete honestly was so so.. the service was baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. The food was good, but they took quite a bit to refill the food that was consumed.

After paying. My mother's friend decided to purchase organic fruits..etc.. My mother bought an apple too just in case she couldn't find anything to eat late night near Canada Place.
I had my delicious brownie already.

So.. the next stop.. was Stanley Park!

Other than a small tour via car around Stanley park, stories and tales of storms and the island itself.. we stopped to take photos of the Totems. a Must do!

uyRW1tQ.jpg

Totems at Stanley Park

7UsvXMK.jpg

Coal Harbour and Canada Place from Stanley Park.

Then we moved into vancouver's old downtown to see the Gastown area.

The Gastown area was definitively PACKED with people. full of tourists! we unfortunately could find any place to park near the Gassy Jack to take a photo of it. But we were very lucky to find some space very close to the Steam clock.

oRt4f9b.jpg

The famous steam clock

Then we used the fact that theres a ton of stores to buy some Vancouver souvenirs. Because after our cruise, we had to move to a hotel very close to the airport.

I bought a very nice moose brass temp mercury sensor and some keychains.
My mother bought a Canada clock.

Then it was time to return, as I supposedly was to meet a co-worker and friend in my hotel. So he could deliver my new MICROSOFT SURFACE PRO 3 tablet/laptop to me, and go to visit the newer downtown to eat something.

So we went to the hotel to wait. I used the time to take some photos of the bay.. then of the sunset as I waited patiently to get a SMS.

So.. Waited..
RYdNjFk.jpg

And waited...
xv2UNWX.jpg

AND WAITED...
Ix6uvh4.jpg

Thats where I got very very disappointed in my friend and coworker.
I waited like 4-5 hours until he finally messaged me and he just told me "We just finished, I'm going to my home".

Seriously? We had planned this meet up 5 months in advance! reminded him every month!!.

I was definitely not amused and got very cranky. Crankyness added because I did not take my classic power-nap to wait for his SMS or Call.
If I knew he could take this long, I could have gotten a nap and feel better.

THEN 1 hour after the first message. He finally said "I'm at home, going your way".
And waited.. and waited.. 45 minutes more and he was telling me that there was trouble in the metro and was going to take longer..

When I finally seen him, It was like 10 AND HALF PM IN THE NIGHT. almost everything was closed except bars.

To resume, he was 6 hours( pretty sure it was way more ) late. 6 or more hours... of what we had agreed months ago.
KnkJkpk.gif

He gave me my new equipment ( tablet ), went upstairs to put it safe in the room. Then we headed downtown using the metro.

Every restaurant I wanted to try(and planned) was closed... (Deluxe Burgers, Chinese food)
Even the extensive list of recommendations from my boss (who visits Vancouver constantly and who is... guess who.. the mother of my coworker) were all closed.
Not even Delis were open!! and I sure as hell didn't wanted a milkshake.

After walking A LOT trying to find where to eat, we finally found a pizza joint that was minutes away from closing, We entered and ate some pizza, It was good but nothing spectacular. Very disappointed afternoon.
Only good part was: our attempts to chat in either broken Spanish (his) or broken English (mine). It was funny to see.

Also I unfortunately couldn't even buy the case protection thingie I needed for my new surface pro 3.

So.. almost at midnight, we finally returned back to the Pan Pacific hotel ( in a taxi because everything was closed.)
He apologized for all the messup and we went our ways.

I was exhausted and still annoyed. So I just showered and went to bed.

But I had light ahead.. Tomorrow the Wonder was arriving, and It was finally Cruise time!

*edit* I forgot to say that my coworker also lost my DCL luggage tags that I explicitly told to keep safe (another facepalm inducing thing).

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Original Poster
So, before I went to bed, I set my tripod and camera ready.. just in case I had luck in filming the approaching ships. And it paid off.

After a good but short rest. (I was too excited to sleep much..) I woke up by pure luck.. went to bathroom, then seen the window..
AND THEN I SEE the Disney Wonder (followed by the Norwegian Sun) crossing the Lion's Gate in route to dock at Canada Place!

What a wonderful feel! (pun intended)

DSC_0537.jpg

DSC_0540.jpg

The Wonder mid 220° Turn maneouver to Dock at Canada Place

DSC_0562.jpg

The Wonder finally docked at Canada Place.

After taking a few photos, we still had time to roam around before we had to go in.
So we went to take some breakfast and prepare everything for boarding!.

c0eK9sM.jpg

Canada Place:
UufKZZd.jpg

Also, since we never had boarded a cruise in our whole life, we went to the Canada Place terminal to ask questions, They were busy during the disembark and loading of the prior group.
My english was terrible that day and could hardly communicate(too much noise in the terminal too). finally got some paper and pen and wrote everything and they told us what to do.

Also, the concierge on the Pan Pacific again saved my butt and gave us some of the DCL Tags we needed (Mickey), We filled our information and we delivered the bags to Pan Pacific's crew area.

Now that we finally had the information we needed. We went our way upstairs to wait until the boarding hours.

Then it was finally time!
at 11:00 we had to clear the room, pack all our things, check out from the hotel, pay the internet I had used and then we used the elevators down to the terminal.

The terminal was finally empty and everything was very very easy to follow.
Just leave bags in the baggage area in the hotel, and let the DCL staff guide you.
Note that the Norwegian Sun was also boarding at same time.

Once you clear the first security area and Customs (because you go into US territorial waters and land in alaska) you head to another area, where the crowds were split into two. Left for Disney and right for Norwegian.
We then got asked to one of the small booths to get our photo taken, our information confirmed and our Key to the World cards assigned to us.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

After dealing with the whole process, we could sit down in a waiting area while Mickey (rotating with Minnie) were for photos.
It was cute to see Minnie interact with Mickey when they had to switch!!.

We, of course.. took our photos with Mickey and then with Minnie.

Heres a quick pan video of the waiting area, the M&G , the registration area and the entrance.

Some interesting thing was.. there were Homeland security crew with dogs (k9s) going between lines, smelling every visitor.. Probably for drug smuggling and maybe explosives.
They did a few rows.
Kids of course, loved the dogs. They were adorable!

Then after a short wait, they started to call each number, we had a high number (7). but they called each number pretty fast.
The fun part was the guy who called for each number, did the classic "Boxing ring girl movement with round number in hands".
4IoJdFo.jpg

In less than 15 mins, our number (7) was called, only us and other couple had the number 7... so.. we were boarding the Wonder!.

Of course, they need to take another photo while the line slowly clears. Then the classic "use disinfectant on your hands before proceeding" station, full of disinfectant foams.

Once we had our hands clean.. We started to walk in the small bridge into the wonder!
WOO HOO!

After boarding, we remembered that our stateroom would not be ready yet. So we decided to go to Parrot's Cay to get something until it was time.
So . We went there and ate some quick stuff. The Buffet was kinda simple. Mother preferred the pastries. They were really good!

Then we went to the upper deck to know where to go after the muster drill and took a few photos.
DSC_0018 (3).jpg

DSC_0021 (3).jpg

The glorious Disney Cruise Line funnels.

After wasting some time, we decided to go to our stateroom and we were introduced to our Stateroom Host.

Our stateroom was ready and only 1 bag was there. No biggie as they said the bags would be delivered slowly through the day.

DSC_0015 (3).jpg
DSC_0016 (3).jpg
DSC_0017 (3).jpg

Lot of space!

We decided to check out the room and place and relax a bit before going out.
After a half hour (and doing our duties in the bathroom) and reading/watching the "Muster call" evacuation drill instructions in our stateroom.
I also suggested my mother our "angle of attack" to get good spots on the Sailing party area thanks to @Disneyfalcon 's suggestions.

So we planned our way ( I would rush to get the spots) and my mother would wait to use the elevators.

Then, We waited until the alarm started and we went to our evacuation zone.
It was a bit confusing, because all the ship had the correct numbers on Deck 4... But then it turns out our area ("S") was not in the usual route, it was inside the ANIMATOR's PALATE area, farthest zone in the back of the ship.
We did show our Key to the world cards, they added our info in their little computer and we were told to sit and wait.
My god, people are Lazy! some took almost 30 minutes to arrive at the muster call!
Even people with disabilities were first!
The alarm went a few times to remind them to get their to the evacuation points.
Once the Captain and the Cruise Director talked and explained things, we're free to go!

I ran like I had coal in my butt and used the stairs (other men had the same idea as me) and we quickly got on top, we got very nice spots to see the Sail Away party.

A few minutes later, the place started to pack and they closed down the pool area for the party (very smart to have that moving floor). All the people gathered for the Party.

This will continue in the next page, as this one is getting very heavy by the video links and tons of photos!

CONTINUED HERE

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Original Poster
I love the flight maps! Can't wait to hear about your day in Victoria. Did you take any pictures of your hotel room? (the right room and the wrong room?)
unfortunately, I did not.
Honestly.. we arrived very late and we were very tired. We pretty much threw our stuff on the corners as soon we got inside... and only mustered enough energy to go downstairs to complain about the wrong room.

Same when we arrived from Victoria.

I think I DID take one photo at least, but was defocused and I ended deleting it.

Can't wait to hear about your trip! I've never done a Disney cruise, and I'm hoping my first one will be to Alaska.
Better hurry up lol, if the trend continues (global warming). The Glaciers will recede too much.
They did show us some photos of the Sawyer (tracy's arm) Glacier and Mendenhall from 10 years ago and of this year.
Both receded like 400-600 meters in if I remember correctly . (around 1/3 Mile or more)
I wonder how long until they're completely gone or out of range for Cruise ships (in the case of Sawyer's glacier).

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Cesar, I like all your pictures so far, but I really love the gorgeous flower pictures! You have a good eye for composition. Can't wait to follow along with more of your trip report in the next few days, or whenever you get a chance to add more. :)

As for the overbooking of your hotel, my guess is that probably happens more often than you think, and there was no excuse for them to not hold the room (that you had already reserved months in advance and prepaid). I'm glad they got another room for you, but it was certainly not the room you requested.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Great report so far! Sorry about the room trouble, I wonder how do people just decide to overstay their booking and the hotel doesn't ask them to leave? Especially if rooms are pre-paid!

I loved, loved, loved your pictures from Butchart Gardens. Victoria Gardens in the Canada pavilion at Epcot is probably my favorite spot in all of WDW, and I've always wanted to see the original garden that inspired it.

Since I just got back from cruising on the Disney Dream, I'm looking forward to seeing your trip on the Wonder. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom