MEW's Dream Disney Resort - The Final Chapter - Winner of a Lemon Tree Award, Sponsored by Applebees

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
In addition, I absolutely adore your concept for an Into the Woods-based production. However, I have an idea: instead of it being an ampitheater, why not seat the audience on wooden benches that are very close to the stage area, thus immersing them in the story?

That's the idea! In the final overview of the park, I'll better describe the seating in the theater. I can't guarantee that all of the seats will be all-too close to the stage, but I'm hoping for the final product to look something like this:

greek-theater-4.jpg

Albeit, there will be wooden seats in the Greek format and more trees surrounding the theater.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Continuing on with Wonderland and a never-built Disney classic: Beastly Kingdom.

Just a reminder, these are the sub-areas of Fantasyland and the sources they represent:

1. Castle Town: Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, The Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins, Frozen, Beauty & the Beast, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Sword in the Stone, Hunchback of Notre-Dame, Hercules, Tangled (latter three represented through live entertainment)
2. Enchanted Forest: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Into the Woods, Tangled, Several Films (Storybook Land Canal Boats)
3. Wonderland: Alice in Wonderland (1951)
4. Beastly Kingdom: Mythology
5. Halloween Town & Christmas Town: Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
6. Small World Plaza: It's a Small World

I may or may not be adding another sub-area, so we'll see.

alice-wonderland-tokyo-disneyland-new-fantasyland-620x419.png

The next and smallest sub-area of Fantasyland is none other than Wonderland, based not upon Tim Burton's "Underland" but upon Lewis Carroll and Walt Disney's own Wonderland, as seen in the 1951 film, Alice in Wonderland. The realistic trees and foliage give way to multi-colored topiaries, giant leaves, and bonsai tree-like growths of varying colors and sizes, with finger-shaped signs pointing in all directions, whether they be up, down, side-to-side, below, above, etc. Almost immediately, the grinning face of the Cheshire Cat points toward a clearing in this misshapen forest, joined by an adjacent Cheshire Cat on its hind legs pointing towards the curiosities and oddities of his homeland with a crooked signpost. A third Cheshire Cat (all three are the same cat; bizarre, right?) peers out from an overhead treetop, although this time it's only his grinning teeth and yellow eyes, with his beady pupils spinning in all directions. The eerie voice of the ghostly feline rings out among the quirky music coming from the not-so-distant sub-area.

"Oh, by the way. If you'd really like to know, he went that way... The White Rabbit. However, if I were looking for a White Rabbit, I'd ask the Mad Hatter. Or, there's the March Hare in that direction. Of course, he's mad, too. Most everyone's mad here. Hahahahaha! You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself..."

cheshireCatDisAug2010.jpg

4306279217_10ba35c715_z.jpg

We've just "fallen down" the Rabbit Hole and into the curious world of Wonderland, leaving the general sanity and order of the Enchanted Forest far behind us...

Stepping into the aforementioned clearing, we are immersed into a realm of pure imagination, where Alice, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, Tweedledee, Tweedledum, the Cheshire Cat, the Walrus, the White Rabbit, and the Queen of Hearts all meander about in full meet-n-greet mode, causing a whole lot of general mischief and mayhem amid the truly peculiar setting. Most notably, the quaint cottage of the White Rabbit is our first stop, home of The Mad Hatter. No, not the Mad Hatter, but instead a wide array of Disney-themed hats and clothing, including the ever-popular Mickey Mouse ears. Like the Main Street Department Store back in Eliasburg, we are allowed to have our names embroidered on any hat, but for a small fee, of course. An interior mirror in the shop for trying on hats often provides quite a jump scare when the Cheshire Cat mysteriously appears on the other side of the looking glass, bouncing his head around before quietly disappearing into oblivion.
The Walrus & the Carpenter, a seafood restaurant sits on a sandy cliff top near the Mad Hatter, held within a makeshift shack composed of old ship parts, fallen masts, and scraps of wood and metal, as built by the Carpenter himself. Grimly enough, oysters are indeed on the menu... The sands of the surrounding area quickly and seamlessly subdue into the desert sands of the neighboring Badlands, right near the entrance of the Outback River Run...but as we've already explored this land, we continue on with the rest of Wonderland.

Although the Tim Burton film is mostly disregarded in this sub-area, The Jabberwocky, named for the dragon-like villain of the Tim Burton film, is actually a bookstore filled with a wide variety of literature, with an emphasis on poetry, a la "The Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. As the Jabberwocky was a character cut from the 1951 film, the various deleted designs for the character are used in the shop's logo and design, as seen in these two examples here. The Tim Burton Jabberwocky is also featured, albeit in a hidden corner of the store...right above the section dedicated to the horror genre, perhaps a tribute to the Jabberwocky's voice, the late Christopher Lee.

hqdefault.jpg

Just down the road from the little shops and eateries, the whacky music and uptempo beats of "A Very Merry Unbirthday" beckon us toward a Disneyland staple, the
Mad Tea Party, more commonly referred to by many a Disneyland visitor as the "Teacups."

Tea%20Cups%2015a.jpg

Shielded from the elements by an overhead glass canopy with an intricate design, we hop aboard a teacup for a mad spin around a massive, twirling teapot inhabited by the eternally-tipsy Dormouse. Paper lanterns and stringed-lights illuminate the "dance floor" as night falls upon Wonderland, creating a magical, yet eerie glow. As with other versions of the flat-ride, we are able to control the speed and "spin" of each teacup via a wheel in the center of the "brew." For guests of a younger age, this attraction is a must-see, similar to a certain flying elephant in a different area of the park, but for guests our age who get dizzy easily...well, we'll pass. The Mad Tea Party might be the most popular attraction in Wonderland, but it's certainly not the most immersive...

IMG_2291.JPG

The twisted spires and curves of the Queen's Castle protrude above a winding series of hedges and treetops, these same hedges and treetops composing the never-ending mysteries and magic of Alice's Curious Labyrinth. Inspired by the Disneyland Paris attraction of the same name, Alice's Curious Labyrinth whisks us into the confusion and mystery of Wonderland like never before through a winding maze of fiberglass figures, special effects, and a world trapped in a general sense of nonsense. Stops along the way include a trip to the Queen's Castle (providing stunning views of the rest of Fantasyland), a "painting session" with the whacky card soldiers, a visit with singing flowers on a "golden afternoon," and a chance encounter with the hookah-smoking Caterpillar. Other immersive features involve the talking doorknob, a mirror maze allowing one to feel as if they are shrinking or growing, and a very merry unbirthday party hosted by the Mad Hatter and March Hare themselves.

Every Halloween, Alice's Curious Labyrinth becomes the Minotaur Labyrinth, strange as it seems. Based on the old Greek myth surrounding Theseus, we are transported to Ancient Greece where beasts such as the Minotaur still reside, especially when given the domain of an endless labyrinth to stalk their prey within. Rather than finding ourselves surrounded by cheerful fiberglass figures of the Dodo and the Cheshire Cat, we are pursued by the bull-headed beast of ancient mythology in a foggy, dark labyrinth of Guillermo del Toro proportions, ending in a beastly encounter that won't soon be forgotten...

Alice's Curious Labyrinth serves as a transition point between Wonderland, the Enchanted Forest, and the next major sub-area of Fantasyland, the distinctly mythological Beastly Kingdom...

beastlykingdom1.jpg

a_ak_rock_dino_a.jpg

A crystal-clear stream trickles beneath an arched footbridge, churned by a thundering waterfall pouring from a nearby rock formation in the shape of a fire-breathing dragon. The waters beneath the bridge are inhabited by none other than the Troll from The Three Billy Goats Gruff, making this footbridge effectively a "troll bridge." This wart-faced troll might have a grim sense of humor and big appetite for park guests, but don't be alarmed, he's just as goofy and ugly-looking as the trolls once found in Epcot's Maelstrom.

The twisted forests and colors of Wonderland continue into Beastly Kingdom with a more "realistic" tone, welcoming us to the world of mythological beasts and animals, a fairy tale come true for RPG nerds everywhere. On the horizon, an ancient castle stands tall above the kingdom, perhaps inhabited by the darker creatures of mythology. On the adjacent horizon, a luscious mountaintop casts a welcoming shadow on the kingdom below, perhaps inhabited by the kinder creatures of mythology.

Jack's is the first stop in the little village, the home of Jack the Giant-Killer. A massive beanstalk (seen from as far as Castle Town) sits right in the center of the young lad's home, ripping through the ceiling and climbing high towards the sky. Jack's focuses on fantasy-themed gifts not just of Disney-based origin, but also that of Grimm's Fairy Tales and Mother Goose. Down the road, The Three Bears is a rather bit of an odd shop, being the home of the Three Bears that once encountered a certain young lady by the name of Goldilocks. The Three Bears sells items unique to the shop, as these items consist of linens, blankets, comforters, curtains, bedsets, you name it. Mr. McGregor's, named and operated by the farmer of Peter Rabbit fame, is a roadside stand selling fresh fruits and veggies straight from the farmer's garden. The Sheepskin Inn, exclusively sells snack foods and meat-based products from an exterior window, clearly named for the Big Bad Wolf and his silliest of disguises seen in the Academy Award-winning short, The Three Little Pigs.

A short walk from the village and deeper into the whimsical forest is
Pixie Hollow, home of Tinkerbell and her fairy friends, neighbored closely by Storyteller's Rock, where seasoned storytellers gather to tell tales of bold heroes and dastardly villains, often times involving said heroes and villains making in-person appearances. The mysterious trails and caverns of Unicorn Cove allow exploration and adventure amid the fantasy setting, with luscious waterfalls, glistening caverns, and an enchanted meadow for rest and relaxation, not to mention an encounter with an actual unicorn whom resides within the cove. A trail near Unicorn Cove leads us beneath the railroad tracks and into the Riley's Head sub-area of Pixar Place just beyond the park's berm, a reference to Riley's own love of unicorns. But for now, we'll continue on with Beastly Kingdom.

unicorn-maze.jpg

Back in "town," we pay a visit to Mythica Manor, the finest estate in the entirety of Fantasyland, next to Snow White Castle, of course. Inside this Renaissance-inspired home, we find a museum-like tribute to the various fairy tales and folklore from around the world, many in which inspired the likes of the films represented in Fantasyland. Real-life cryptozoology is also featured within the museum, exhibits showcasing the likes of the Yowie, Loch Ness Monster and Yeti on prominent display. King Arthur's Tournament is held within a large tent-covered arena nearby, featuring an actual jousting tournament a la Medieval Times in Buena Park, California. In this live stunt spectacular we are treated to actual knights jousting and competing in sword combat for the approval of King Arthur himself, the grown-up Wart from The Sword in the Stone. King Arthur of a more Monty Python flare makes a later appearance in Hollywoodland, but more on that later... Grendel's Mother, the villainess of the classic tale, Beowulf appears in a lake behind King Arthur's Tournament, but is rather heard than seen, providing humorous interactions with those who toss a coin within her waters.

A three-way fork in the road on the outskirts of this "fairy tale village" leads one path directly to Storybook Land (appropriate considering what shops are in Beastly Kingdom), another directly to Wonderland, and another on a less convenient route toward a certain town under the shadow of a curled-hill...a trail separate from the others leads to an ancient castle perched high above the treetops, appearing to be battered and worn from an ancient battle centuries ago...

beastlycastle3.jpg

A clearing in the forest brings us to the threshold of this ancient stronghold, immediately surrounding us with a Stonehenge-like arena seeming to have been built as a tribute to some great spirit. In the center of it all rests the skeletal remains of a mighty dragon, and not of the Maleficent variety. This giant fossil was at one time a true medieval dragon, the ones in which haunted the dreams and visions of the European countryside in the Dark Ages. Suddenly, a massive fireball spews from the twisted-facade of the castle, closely followed by a pair of reptilian eyes peering outward before disappearing into the shadows. From within, we hear screams of absolute delight and terror. We have stumbled upon the remains of the Dragon's Keep.

Venturing deep inside the castle, we find that at one time a Royal Family of unknown origin resided over the surrounding land, ruling with a cheerful, loving hand. Scorch-marks and the skeletal remains of many a charred-knight imply that long ago, a dragon had indeed attacked the castle and all those within it, perhaps even taking over the estate. Our suspicions are confirmed when we come face-to-face with a band of giant vampire bats whom have been gifted with the ability of speech. These bats are a band of thieves known as the Dracula Six, and according to local legend, the dragon that now resides within this castle has a sea of treasure underneath his belly that he's not willing to share anytime soon...unless it's stolen...

Boarding a bat-winged roller coaster train suspended from the ceiling, we embark deep within the castle to rob the sleeping dragon of his priceless gems, only to unintentionally awaken the beast and undergo a thrilling, chilling roller coaster ride through the remains of this charred castle past restless spirits, booby traps, and of course, the dragon overlord himself. Unlike the Glacier Peak Runaway Mine Train, this is a truly intense roller coaster with loops, sudden speed boosts, and corkscrews.

tumblr_mehk5udeH91r8ldbjo1_1280.jpg

As the Dragon's Keep has an in-ride photo opportunity, it seems only fitting that a gift shop is located just near the exit, Dragon's Keep Portrait Studio, a medieval-themed photo supplier and Dragon's Keep-themed gift shop nestled in the former dungeon of the once-grand castle...

In our next update, we'll finish off the last portion of Beastly Kingdom and move onto Halloween Town and Christmas Town.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'll definitely look into the score for purposes of orchestrations and underscores, but themes and songs from Disney films and attractions will be used throughout the show for the big scenes and production numbers. The show is the story of Sarah, a little girl who is kidnapped by Captain Hook and escapes with the help of Genie. She then goes on an epic journey through the world of imagination, ending in a battle with Maleficent and respectively an appearance or two by Mickey Mouse.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
We'll see haha. I have a synopsis down for the show itself but I haven't started writing the script just yet, so I'll take it into consideration for sure. I know that the Animazement Trio will have something to do with the show, as for what, I'm not sure.

Today, we'll continue on with Beastly Kingdom and dive right into Small World Plaza...my apologies for the big gap between the two updates... Once I've completed Fantasyland, we'll be diving right into Pixar Place, so keep an eye out for that later on this week as well. As mentioned before, my posts will be somewhat irregular as a lot is going on behind-the-scenes in my real-life, haha. But never fear, this project will be completed! As long as there is imagination left in my brain, that is.

Also, a quick reminder that at the end of this project, I will be doing one final draft of everything altogether, so as usual, things may or may not be subject to change. As I type this, new ideas continue to pop into my head (such as pulling Carl's House from Adventureland; although I have yet to make this decision).

The-Pastoral-Symphony-fantasia-35768884-400-308.jpg

The forests of medieval Europe naturally transition into rolling green hills, trickling streams, and endless, patchwork fields of multi-colored flowers and temperate trees bathed in the colors of autumn. The remainder of Beastly Kingdom represents that of Ancient Greece, land of heroes and monsters, gods and goddesses, adventure and magic, a natural fit in the realm of mythical beasts. It seems only appropriate that Mount Olympus serves as the focal point of this ancient realm, the hilltop homestead of Zeus, Hera, Hermes, Bacchus, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Apollo, and...well, you know the rest. Grecian temples and homes line the surrounding plains, a bit odd, considering one of the first locations we see is a giant bronze head representing what appears to be that of a Grecian soldier...

tumblr_inline_mq07x5CFVc1qz7xjd.jpg

This is respectively the humble abode of Philoctetes, the short and stubby trainer of the one and only Hercules, not to mention several other legendary warriors throughout Grecian history. Although humans are far-too-short to step inside the giant head, Phil, Hercules, and Megara alike all make meet-n-greet appearances just outside among several other fountains and statues typical of Grecian ruins. Phil's Hero Training, the ultimate training session for any would-be hero is held just outside Phil's house. Here, trainees of a young age are given first-hand tips from both Phil and Hercules, as well as some hands-on "swordplay." The unexpected arrival of Hades and several of his Underworld creatures turns the training session into an actual free-for-all where we find our young heroes more victorious than Achilles's heel...sorry, too soon?

Proceeding further into Greece, we find a small farming community living under the shadow of Mount Olympus, the town itself centered around a flower-entangled wishing well. The Hercules Store (as seen in "Hercules"), sells all the wares of any Hercules fan, including the ever-iconic Hercules action figure with "chest-bulging" action and better yet, the infamous "Air-Herc" sandals legitimately being sold for the first time ever, and yes, they are very comfortable. It's only fair that these comfortable sandals are advertised in a giant mosaic of Hercules on the outside of the building.
Κήπος του Βάκχου, which translates to "Garden of Bacchus," is an authentic Mediterranean and Greek restaurant held within a fanciful Greek temple, all centered around a giddy fountain of Bacchus atop his drunken unicorn, as seen in Fantasia. Fine wines, gyros, and kebabs are all on the menu, and oddly enough, the purple liquid pouring out of the Bacchus fountain is actually wine...just kidding, it's water with purple dye in it. An outside window for the restaurant sells items that require less preparation, mostly the truly delicious "Herculade," served in the appropriate glassware. Think of this as Beastly Kingdom's own version of butterbeer, but really sweet and really fruity. The Temple of Zeus, while not an official place of worship sits as a gift shop selling authentic and less-cartoony items from Greece, such as statuettes, paintings, miniature mosaics, etc. Of course the giant statue of Zeus inside the shop occasionally comes to life to say a few words before warping back into a quiet statue.

Hercules-store.jpg

images

tumblr_mo1r4mv9071r0ix14o6_500.png

Η παραγωγή του κρασιού ("The Making of Wine") is connected to the Garden of Bacchus, showing us how authentic wine is made in the past, present, and possibly even in the future. While not a true "beastly" attraction, the Making of Wine features wine tasting (at a cost), wine-flavored ice cream, wine-flavored candy, and wine-flavored...well, I'm gonna stop whining about it and just let you put the rest together for yourself. Amphitryon & Alcmene's, the cozy home of Hercules's adoptive parents sells pottery and interior home decor with a Grecian flare, including "fun" decor like the vase or v-ah-se with the baffled likeliness of everyone's favorite hero.

Bacchus isn't the only one with a garden in this part of the country. In fact, the other garden in town is visited via a slow boat ride through a magical, moonlit, romantic paradise. Pain and Panic, the dim-witted employees of Hades have their own dark ride, believe it or not, and boy is it a doozy. Pain and Panic's Tunnel of Love. Yep. This is a thing.

Boarding a Swan-shaped boat, we slowly set sail through a curtain of vines (crafted to resemble a heart) and calmly drift through the quaint scenery and magic of the garden where Megara once sang that famous song, "I Won't Say I'm in Love." Despite the romantic music and perfect atmosphere to steal a kiss from that special someone, Pain and Panic show up to crash the party, providing witty banter and mood-killing gags. According to Pain, it is their goal to keep anyone from experiencing the tunnel of love's magic, as Disneyland is a "family theme park," not Las Vegas. What ensues next is a wacky and tacky adventure straight from Timon and Pumbaa's Virtual Safaris (anyone remember those?), only this time, Pain and Panic are in charge. With tacky cutouts of monsters, purposely-awful special effects, and a musical number or two, Megara's Tunnel of Love is the perfect dark ride for any fan of slapstick comedy and cheap magic tricks.

The real attraction in this part of Beastly Kingdom is found in the form of Hercules: Zero to Hero, an E-Ticket thrill ride through the world of Hercules. Rather than being a sequel, prequel, or recap of the movie, we join Hercules on an adventure not seen in the film, an adventure that feels a little similar to Tokyo's Journey to the Center of the Earth. Hopping aboard a Greek chariot, a la Ben-Hur, we journey off towards Olympus to embark on a tour of paradise led by Hermes. Suddenly, Hades decides that he cannot wait any longer for the planets to align, so he unleashes a slew of foul beasts (some not even seen in the film) upon Olympus to take the throne that is "rightfully his." The unexpected arrival of Hercules and Pegasus leads us to join the demigod in battle, with plenty of sight gags, too-close-for-comfort-encounters, a trip through the multiple gullets of the Hydra, and a climactic drop down Mount Olympus itself with a post-finale celebration led by the soulful Muses and some rather musical spectators.

latest

Having completed our tour of Beastly Kingdom, we meander back to the Enchanted Forest where
we come upon the realization that Fantasyland is nowhere close to having been fully-explored yet. So much so that we still have three sub-areas left: Small World Plaza, Halloween Town, and Christmas Town, not to mention the parade route...

In a manner similar to the original Disneyland, the central parade route begins in Fantasyland and makes its way down a "Main Street" before quietly tucking away backstage in a corner of Town Square. In the case of Disneyland Australia, the parade garage is located beyond the park's northwestern berm directly behind the westernmost berm of Pixar Place and northernmost berm of Fantasyland. The route itself starts in between the sub-areas of Halloween Town and Christmas Town, then proceeds to make its way in between Small World Plaza and the Enchanted Forest, past the western wing of Snow White Castle, across a cement bridge over Fantasy Lagoon, through the western side of the Hub, down Main Street, around Town Square, and out through a backstage entrance near Oswald's Gas in the northeastern portion of the Hub. As expected, the floats rest in a backstage area in between the Jungle River Cruise and Town Square. Since many of the floats are rather tall, the ground in this backstage area is lowered down a few pegs, carefully hiding the floats from the jungle sightlines as they enter a secondary parade garage which is also hidden from sight via lower ground and tall palm trees.

Since Small World Plaza is just a short distance away to the western side of the Enchanted Forest, we decide to pay the children of the world a quick visit before journeying into the dark imagination of a Mr. Tim Burton.

hkdl-att-its-a-small-world-hero-01.jpg

The golden spires and fanciful shapes of a magnificent palace protrude high above the treetops of the Enchanted Forest, setting the scene for Small World Plaza, the "happiest" sub-area thus far. Buildings and structural formations of an odd variety, almost "Mary Blair" in style, line the pristine pathways and pastel-colored plaza. Topiaries in the shape of animals from around the world fill the colorful gardens and planters, while quirky instrumentals of that ever-famous tune, "It's a Small World" constantly fill the air, each time portrayed in a different form of instrumental from a different culture. As Olympus and Dragon's Keep were to Beastly Kingdom, Small World Palace is the appropriate focal point of Small World Plaza, a glistening, abstract castle representing various symbols from around the world, from the Eiffel Tower to the Golden Gate Bridge. In the center of it all is the smiling face of a googly-eyed clock tower that rings off every fifteen minutes with a parade of "dancing" dolls representing a different country of the world. Inside this magnificent palace is the "happiest cruise that ever sailed," the 1964-1965 World's Fair classic, It's a Small World.

untitled-disney4.jpg

Boarding a brightly-painted boat, we set sail across the entire globe and visit the various countries and continents where children in cultural garbs and settings perform the titular song in their respective language. Better yet, the entirety of the cruise appears to be composed of toys and materials accessible to children, making this appear to be a trip of the world as seen through the eyes of a child. Along the way, various Disney characters portrayed in the style of Mary Blair (the key Imagineer behind the original attraction) appear throughout the attraction, hidden within their respective countries of origin. No trip around the world is complete without a trip through Small World Imports, a Mary Blair-esque toy store that specializes in dolls, appropriate considering that It's a Small World itself is filled with dolls.

Unlike other versions of the famous "Small World" facade, the colors of Disneyland Australia's facade are that of a "cool" tone, meaning that rather than having a structure painted with pastels and whites, we find a palace colored with hues of green, blue, and purple, the face of the clock itself being a cool shade of lavender. Every Christmas, the glistening spires begin to glisten even more with the seasonal addition of It's a Small World Holiday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzMYP1Bg2tM

As mid-November rolls around, the children of the world begin to sing the songs of the season and celebrate their respective holidays, all within a heavily-lit and decorated Small World Palace. Thousands of multicolored Christmas lights create a beacon of holiday cheer, not to mention peace on earth and goodwill towards men, the message of the ride not just during the holidays, but all year-round. It's only fair that the lights of It's a Small World Holiday blend in with the not-too-distant realm of Christmas Town, the next stop on our list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9vtMAB09FA

tnbc-01.jpg

More to come! Almost done with Fantasyland!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I didn't mention this in the above post, but It's a Small World, being located in the western portion of Fantasyland and on the other side of the parade route is in somewhat of a strange position as an entire land is just behind it. Clearly, Small World has a massive show building that is normally found pressed up against the railroad tracks or beyond the berm. Since neither of these are present near my Small World's show building, my show building is located within the park and finds itself pressed up against the backstage show building of another attraction which we will explore at another time. Buildings and trees will naturally keep the building hidden from sight.

Now, Christmas Town and Halloween Town.

At the end of this update you'll be wondering where Dumbo is. Don't worry, he's in the park, but NOT in Fantasyland. As to where, you'll just have to wait and see.

screenshot_53.jpg

"Jack didn't know it, but he'd fallen down in the middle of a place called Christmas Town! Immersed in the light, Jack was no longer haunted. He had finally found the feeling he wanted." - Tim Burton, "The Nightmare Before Christmas"

Our travels through Fantasyland take us to a circular clump of snow-capped mountains just north of the Enchanted Forest, an odd sight amid the arid Australian sun. As night falls upon the kingdom, these mountains are washed aglow in a multitude of festive lights, a bit strange considering that these festive lights are lit not just during December, but all year-round. Cheerful holiday tunes intertwined with sleighbells and other quirky instruments ring out, a seamless transition between the music of It's a Small World and our next sub-area: Christmas Town, where it is quite literally Christmas every day, the fantasy of a many a child. With a song in our hearts and a sense of holiday cheer in our spirits, we venture toward the frosty residence of Santa Claus himself.

If you thought that Frosty's Cabinet in Eliasburg was festive, you haven't seen anything yet. Christmas Town resembles that of a village from the pages of a Dr. Seuss book, a la Whoville or Solla Sollew, where straight lines and solid architecture are nonexistent. Each and every building finds itself covered in snow, Christmas lights, candles, garland, and festive decor, no ifs, ands, or buts around it. Passing beneath a candy cane-striped archway that appropriately reads "Christmas Town," as seen by Jack Skellington on his fateful visit so long ago, we are immersed into the reels of an old Rankin Bass holiday special, where cast members dressed as elves, cheerful snowmen, and ice sculptures of penguins and polar bears alike create a sense of full immersion into this holiday world.

Christmas Town holds the distinction of being one of two areas in the park (the other being Halloween Town) with background music composed specifically by Danny Elfman, famed composer behind The Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman, Edward Scissorhands and several other Tim Burton classics. All of the instrumentals consist of new "holiday standards" done in the typical Elfman-style that creates an omnipresent sense of mischief and mayhem, some being takes on classic Christmas carols, others being taken directly from films of his involvement, a la "Ice Dance" from Edward Scissorhands.

In the center of town rests a cartoonish Christmas Tree bewitched with the luscious smell of fresh pine, several stories in height and visible from nearly every point of town. Town Hall, directly behind the tree boasts a massive "Countdown to Christmas" clock that actually functions as an advent calendar. Every month on the 25th, a new window opens to reveal a new detail; for instance, on January 25th, a penguin pops out of a small window holding a fruitcake, then stays there until the windows all close again on December 26th.

Despite the fact that Fantasyland already has its own carrousel, another carrousel makes its home in Christmas Town, this carrousel being that of Santa's Carrousel, a candy cane-striped carrousel filled with creatures reminiscent of life in the Arctic regions of the world; polar bears, reindeer, penguins, seals, belugas, walruses, you name it, each and every creature portrayed in the art-style of a Mr. Tim Burton. An old-fashioned circus organ plays Christmas carols and Danny Elfman melodies whilst the "holiday creatures" spin about in rather rapid circles. To differentiate from the standard Fantasia Carrousel, Santa's Carrousel has a special mechanism in its core that allows the ride vehicles to spin at different speeds and angles, much like a toy "top." Another family thrill ride is found in the form of the Christmas Town Express, a roller coaster ride through the land of holiday cheer.

A train station on the border of town and the parade route takes us to Fruitcake Junction, home of the aforementioned attraction. Jumping aboard the same train seen in the "What's This" segment of The Nightmare Before Christmas, we embark on a family-friendly roller coaster ride through the mountains and tunnels of Christmas Town, deep into the Candy Cane Forest, around and about Mt. Marshmallow, past the Gingerbread House, down the slippery slopes of Hot Cocoa Falls, and an icy finale in Blizzard Basin.

tumblr_m27guoNbki1r1qwczo1_500.png

Heading back into town, we explore Elves' Workshop, the biggest and best toy store in the entire resort, even more so than Tom's Toyland in Eliasburg and Geppetto's Toy Shop in Castle Town. Bizarre gadgets and gizmos throughout the workshop can be seen "producing" the toys being stocked on the shelves while animatronic elves are seen hard at work, often becoming involved in humorous situations and sight gags. The Reindeer Stable next door is the home of a petting zoo dedicated to actual reindeer, also cared for and tended to by zookeepers trained at the Australia Zoo, a la the crocodiles found in the Badlands. However, these live reindeer are actually reindeer-in-training... Each of Santa's eight not-so-tiny reindeer make meet-n-greet appearances instead; Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen, they're all here...including Pluto wearing fake reindeer antlers and a Rudolph nose... Where's the real Rudolph you may ask? Well, unfortunately, he can't come out to play until he brings up his social study grade. Yep. His grade went down in history...

reindeer_michael.jpg

tumblr_nzasaqHKDx1t0xyebo1_500.jpg

cd4b3cbfedeee20c94c296ec8bbec07b.jpg

The-Nightmare-Before-Christmas-1993-Jack-in-Christmas-town.jpg

Mrs. Claus' Candy Kitchen billows the scent of melted sugar and vanilla, beckoning us towards its open windows and doors. Mrs. Claus herself has opened the doors of her world renowned candy kitchen, selling fresh holiday treats and baked goods year-round, meaning that Jack Skellington was truly dead-on when he stated that "the smell of cakes and pies are absolutely everywhere." Masterclaus Theatre, a play on Masterpiece Theatre, makes its home in Christmas Town, where two shows rotate according to the season. From to mid-January to October 31st, we are treated to Jack Skellington's Award Scaremony, a truly peculiar bit of entertainment loosely inspired by the work of @monkey92514 long, long ago.

In this unique production, Jack Skellington has taken over the Masterclaus Theatre to host his annual Award Scaremony, a celebration of all the creepy creeps with eerie eyes and things that go bump in the night. Awards are given out not just to residents of Halloween Town, but also to his favorite Disney villains, including the Evil Queen, Cruella de Vil, the Sanderson Sisters, Oogie Boogie, Dr. Facilier, Jafar, and Captain Hook. When the party is unintentionally thrown into chaos by a clearly offended Maleficent, things get out of Jack's boney hands, leaving Santa Claus to interrupt the party and wait for it...give the Disney villains rather humorous Christmas gifts that he had been keeping from them on the account of them being on the naughty list. This show is a stark contrast to the show held f
rom early-November to early-January. Another new show entitled Mickey's Letter to Santa is held in this winter time slot, being a Santa-meets-Mickey-themed Christmas special for all ages to enjoy with rousing musical numbers and dance numbers involving Mickey and the gang. One number in particular, a personal favorite of mine, features tap-dancing elephants as well as a tap-dancing Goofy!

The Polar Bear Bar acts not as a bar serving alcohol but as a bar serving sweets and exotic sodas, not to mention a holiday staple: eggnog. The eggnog here is so good that it gives an origin stories as to why polar bears have white fur. According to local legend, as displayed through framed artwork hung around the bar, the owners, also known as the Polar Bear Bros. were a couple of a grizzlies on a fishing expedition in the North Pole. When one brother unintentionally discovered eggnog, they both began to drink it...again...and again...and again...until they had drank so much eggnog that their once brown fur turned into an eggy shade of white, thus explaining why all polar bears today are white-furred, not brown or black or green or blue or yellow or red. Another thrill ride calls Christmas Town home - the 10th Annual Christmas Town Bobsled Run.

The 10th Annual Christmas Town Bobsled Run is an off-road-type attraction built in the spirit of the great Matterhorn Bobsleds found only in Disneyland, California. As it turns out, Santa is famous for hosting an annual bobsled race where all the holiday mascots gather together and race through the Arctic wilderness surrounding Christmas Town. That's right, they're all here: the Easter Bunny, Jack Skellington, Cupid, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, Father Time, Baby New Year, Uncle Sam, the Thanksgiving Turkey, a Boxer, and Patrick the Leprechaun, each and every icon appearing in the Tim Burton-style. As an honorary "holiday king or queen," we are invited to participate in the race, boarding our own bobsled and joining the mad dash through the Arctic wilderness. But, as one can imagine, Oogie Boogie is a bit offended for not being invited to the race posthumously, so he's going to crash the party in the best way he can; with bugs and grubs. Will we save the day and send the bogeyman back to his grave? Of course we will, it's a Disney theme park attraction!

latest

As Christmas Town isn't particularly large, the final attraction in the sub-area before we reach the railroad tracks and the main entrance to Pixar Place is none other than a trip to Santa's House where the big cheese himself hosts a year-round meet-n-greet...and by big cheese, I mean Santa Claus, not Mickey. Although Mickey hosts meet-n-greets year-round elsewhere in the park.

Sandy-Claws-nightmare-before-christmas-226907_500_306.jpg

Although the Santa Claus we meet clearly doesn't resemble the stop motion puppet of Santa seen above, the interior of his meet-n-greet is an almost exact replication of Santa's house as seen in Nightmare, right down to the curved grandfather clock and framed portraits of penguins and polar bears. Mrs. Claus also makes meet-n-greet appearances here, often bringing free treats from her candy kitchen as an added bonus... Photographs with Mr. or Mrs. Claus are available for purchase at Comfort & Joy, the park's second year-round Christmas shop that doubly delves in the sale of photographs taken throughout the park.

It's only fair that during the holiday season, Christmas Town is the busiest and most visited land, judging by the fact that Santa is here, as well as specific Christmas-themed entertainment. Despite this, the other lands also get in on the Christmas spirit, as the aforementioned Eliasburg does, Adventureland does, Frontierland does, Hollywoodland does, and so on so forth. The next sub-area also gets in on the Christmas fun...

Leaving the world of Christmas behind, we cross the parade route and head towards what is by far the darkest and creepiest area of Fantasyland thus far...up next is our final sub-area: Halloween Town...

"Now you've probably wondered where holidays come from. If you haven't, I'd say it's time you begun..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpvdAJYvofI

20071110170917!CABINET_DES_DR_CALIGARI_01.jpg

le1e.jpg

latest

Architecture presented in the shape of monsters and creeps line the black-cobblestone streets of the distinctly German Expressionist-Halloween Town. Creepy instrumentals fill the air, creating an eternal sense of dread and intrigue. Rather than finding a Christmas Tree in the center of town, we find a twisted well filled with glowing-green water, a choking monster of some kind "vomiting" more green water into the well. All of the sights familiar to us from the film are here; Dr. Finklestein's Lab, Jack's House, Town Hall, they're all here, some accessible, others not. Jack-o-lanterns rest everywhere, eerily glowing as night falls upon the land. The Zombie Band plays at random times throughout the day and night, the first "in-the-flesh" theme park appearance of Jimmy, Jim, and James, the infamous ragtag band of undead creatures notable for the line, "Nice work, bone daddy." Unlike other in-park musicians, the Zombie Band is composed strictly of audio animatronic figures being rolled around on a cart, secretly controlled by a hidden operator.

Town Hall hosts an exhibition of...well...I'm not sure how to best describe what's inside...the Halloween Town Zoo is strangely held within Town Hall, a walk-through collection of perhaps some of the most bizarre and unnatural monsters ever created by mankind. Many of the evil toys seen in Nightmare are kept here in cages and aquariums, as are many of the failed reanimated creatures from the 2012 film Frankenweenie as well as other creations of Tim Burton's mind (Oyster Boy! Is that you?). Witch's Brew, a prank and "potion" shop sits next door, also selling Burton-esque magic wands and broomsticks. The eternally-glowing cauldron inside often allows a cameo appearance or two from Undersea Gal, Halloween Town's own "Creature from the Black Lagoon."

the_monster_pets_by_montey4-d7yb5aw.jpg

mickey_0.png

The Halloween Town Zoo remains open as apart of the park's Halloween festivities, similar to the Snow White Castle Mystery Tour.

Jack's House is open to visitors not just as a tour of his humble abode but also as a year-round meet-n-greet for both Jack and Sally, Jack's outfit going so far as to change depending on the time of the year, as in once November rolls around, he's decked out in his Sandy Claws suit. Dr. Finklestein's Lab is yet another walk-through exhibit, this time through the eerie laboratory of the mad doctor himself. In a manner similar to Innoventions, fictitious inventions of a horror-based inspiration are proudly on display Deadly Nightshade, Halloween Town's premiere eating establishment features an emphasis on stews and soups, but don't worry...deadly nightshade isn't actually involved...but frog's breath might be...

The Dark Lagoon Leeches Gift & Carrion Shop is a bit of an odd title for a shop selling all Nightmare Before Christmas and Haunted Mansion merchandise imaginable. Where does the carrion come into play? Well, the carnivorous leeches that run the shop also like selling carrion...as in the skeletal remains of animals and Halloween Town citizens that unintentionally fell into the lagoon...don't worry, they aren't actually for sale...no good leech leaves a meal unfinished... The Halloween Hideaway, a year-round Halloween store that sells costumes, masks, miniature villages, ceramics, ornaments, and other decor typical of the October season sits within the manor home of the two-faced Mayor. The Mayor can be heard in his office, answering phones and getting into two-sided arguments with...himself?

Villain's Vale, a dark and seedy part of town is the meet-n-greet location for many a Disney villain, from Maleficent to Hades, to Frollo to the Big Bad Wolf. Rare villains not normally seen in the stateside theme parks are also found here, such as Oogie Boogie, Prince John, the Sheriff of Nottingham, Yzma, and even Bowler Hat Guy.

7763450260_7fcd4a342c.jpg

Every holiday season, Halloween Town is given the Haunted Mansion Holiday treatment, where skull-laced autumn garland and dead wreaths pop up all over town, most notably revolving around the addition of the "Countdown to Christmas" clock to the front side of Town Hall. None of the attractions receive Christmas makeovers, but it's the little details like this that make Disneyland Australia worthwhile.

Other buildings in the shape of monsters and creeps are accessible and explorable (think Toontown), but the majority of the attractions are found just on t
he outskirts of town where we find a Gothic graveyard and pumpkin patch surrounding the base of Spiral Hill, an icon in its own right.

large.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNzbMs0-ACw

Exploring this mysterious graveyard, we are treated to many elements and features similar to Florida's Haunted Mansion queue, only revitalized in a Tim Burton-style which, to be fair, those elements already were in that style... A large crypt topped by a statuette of some snarling beast opens up and leads underground and down a long, cavernous path...seriously...where does this long path take us, you ask? Well, Hollywoodland to the far south of Fantasyland may or may not have a graveyard outside a certain haunted mansion...I can neither confirm nor deny that another crypt connects to the aforementioned crypt, not-so-secretly creating a secret passage between the two realms.

Lock, Shock, and Barrel's Treehouse looms on the horizon, although unaccessible for the time being. Photo opportunities present themselves atop Spiral Hill and throughout the pumpkin patch. But the real attraction is found in Jack's Midnight Ride, the first-ever dark ride specifically themed to Nightmare.

ThemedRideConceptsPopUp_5.jpg

MapsNightmarePopUp_1.jpg

ThemedRideConceptsPopUp_7.jpg

Not-too-far from Spiral Hill, we come upon the same forest of dead trees encountered by Jack in the film, almost immediately coming upon a collection of trees with holiday-icon doors embedded into their trunks. While many of the doors appear locked, the door to Halloween Town is wide-open, allowing us to step inside and board a recreation of Jack's coffin sleigh.

Inside, we whisk through the colorfully bleak worlds from the film, where we watch Jack discover Christmas, takeover Christmas, and ultimately realize that Halloween is where he truly belongs, but not before realizing his love for Sally and defeating Oogie Boogie all in the process. All of the musical numbers and familiar characters are there, as is a snowy finale in a a now-miniature recreation of Spiral Hill and the graveyard.

Returning to Christmas Town, we decide to head a short distance north towards the tracks of the Disneyland Australia Railroad, immediately attracted by a large path leading beneath the tracks and past a recreation of Luxo Jr. hidden among the foliage. Could this be the path to Pixar Place? Yes, it could! Get ready, folks, we haven't seen nothin' yet.

Up next, we'll be moving on to Pixar Place! I'm just going to save complete lists of everything in each land until I do the final draft from now on.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Yes, there will be! I was going to surprise you all and do one or two overviews before Pixar Place, but I might as well announce that overviews for Snow White's Scary Adventures and the 10th Annual Christmas Town Bobsled Run will come first, and possibly a script for Jack Skellington's Award Scaremony.

Roxas, I wouldn't say that about Haunted Mansion Holiday just yet...just because Nightmare has its own area doesn't mean that the Haunted Mansion won't be celebrating the Christmas season...more on that later...

Keep an eye out for the overviews within the next couple of days. :)

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
No, Sarah is kidnapped by Captain Hook and his pirates via the flying Jolly Roger. On board she is stored with Hook's treasure where she finds a Magic Lamp among other things. After rubbing it, Genie comes out and with her three wishes, she explores the world of imagination and magic. Her third and final wish is of course freeing Genie. The whole thing ends up being a dream anyways lol.

Would you guys like me to just do a script for Magic of Dreams instead of the ride overviews? I feel like it has a little following going for it haha.

DisneyManOne

No, Sarah is kidnapped by Captain Hook and his pirates via the flying Jolly Roger. On board she is stored with Hook's treasure where she finds a Magic Lamp among other things. After rubbing it, Genie comes out and with her three wishes, she explores the world of imagination and magic. Her third and final wish is of course freeing Genie. The whole thing ends up being a dream anyways lol.

Would you guys like me to just do a script for Magic of Dreams instead of the ride overviews? I feel like it has a little following going for it haha.

I'd prefer if you save it for the very last post in your detailed walk-through, much like how this show would serve to conclude a day at the park.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm gonna go with Disney Man One's idea, it makes the most logistic sense. So, in the meantime, stay tuned for...

1. Snow White's Scary Adventures
2. It's a Small World
3. 10th Annual Christmas Town Bobsled Run
4. Jack Skellington's Award Scaremony

In no particular order will these attraction overviews/scripts be presented. Stay tuned for more details.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
After much work and thought, here is my park's scary rendition of the classic, Snow White's Scary Adventures. I believe that the superior versions of said attraction (my favorite Fantasyland dark ride) is the current version found in Tokyo Disneyland and the 1971-1994 version that once resided in Florida's Magic Kingdom, so it's only natural that DLA's version is a solid mix of my two favorite versions, as well as original material from my own imagination. Don't worry, no one gets crushed by a giant gemstone in this version...

Also, just gonna leave this here...

http://www./2016/04/beauty-and-the-...tractions-coming-to-tokyo-disneyland-in-2020/

Snow White's Scary Adventures

Whilst much of Castle Town appears to be designed with the intention of resembling a storybook village somewhere in old Bavaria, the facade of Snow White's notably "Scary Adventures" is built with the clear intention of mixing a sense of enchantment with an aura of foreboding, the strongest way possible to convey a universal message of the building's contents being "scary." Like the versions found in Disneyland, California and Disneyland Paris, Snow White's Scary Adventures is held within the stone walls of a Gothic-Bavarian manor surrounded by luscious vegetation in a state of decay... An ominous window graces the front of a lone, half-timbered tower, its mysterious contents concealed by a blood-red curtain... Ornamental ravens perched atop stone skulls appear to "hold" the tower in place... Stone skeletons line the front of the old manor home, each holding a different sconce with their skull bearing a different facial expression of agony or fear... Every few seconds, the curtains of the tower's window part to reveal not the Evil Queen, but instead a rather sheepish Dopey, who gives a little wave towards the cobblestone streets below before disappearing back into the shadows. Intrigued, we press forward past this ominous warning sign: "Beware! The Wicked Witch! This attraction contains scenes in which the witch appears. Small children may be frightened." An image of the Wicked Witch clutching a poisoned-apple appears atop the sign, her eerie eyes gazing into our nervous souls.

victory-1.jpg

Entering through a small opening in the base of the tower, ambient sound effects reminiscent of a dungeon (rattling chains, screeching rats, etc.) echo from wall-to-wall, leading us toward the Secret Chamber, a first-hand glimpse of the Evil Queen's laboratory. A window blocked with iron bars peers down into a dusty lab below where a stone dragon clutches an opened-spellbook near a bubbling cauldron. Naturally, the pages of the book are opened to the Curse of Sleeping Death.

"One Taste of the Poison Apple
and the Victim's Eyes
Will Close Forever
in the Sleeping Death."

Suddenly, thunder and lightning crash, illuminating the silhouette of the Evil Queen (pre-old hag) in a stairwell beyond the spellbook. "Soon, I'll be fairest in the land! Hahahahaha!" An unseen raven caws; we move forward.

As if from nowhere, the eerie ambience of the Secret Chamber gives way to the majestic sight of Snow White's own Enchanted Forest represented through a magnificent three-dimensional diorama composed mostly of flats, murals, and forced perspective scenery, a near-direct lift of the Magic Kingdom's 1971-1994 attraction load area (designed by the great Claude Coats). An unseen Snow White can be heard perpetually singing "I'm Wishing" from within the well in a slightly distorted, echoey rendition, creating a false sense of security while establishing that the adventures ahead may be unsettling. To our left, we see the courtyard of the Evil Queen's castle, complete with Snow's flower-entangled wishing well, as well as the dispatch point for our journey. In the center, a forested hillside provides our first glimpse of the relatively distant Dwarfs' cottage bathed in a pool of blue light breaking through the overhead trees. Finally, to our right, just past a luscious waterfall, we see the opened pages of a massive storybook reading "Happily Ever After," the only difference from the Magic Kingdom load area.

snow_white_queue.jpg

Before we know it, we have hopped aboard a two-row, four-seater wooden mine car named for one of the seven Dwarfs, each embroidered not just with a name (e.g. Grumpy) but also with intricate little carvings of cute woodland creatures and flowers, a stark contrast to the adventures ahead. After a quick safety spiel from a rather regal female voice (is that you, Evil Queen?), our mine car quickly pulls away from the load area, heading immediately for the castle's courtyard, circling around the wishing well and heading towards the Dwarfs' cottage. But sadly, our car quickly pulls away from the cottage, instead turning towards the intimidating gates of the Queen's castle. From an overhead window, the Evil Queen parts the curtains as Dopey did with the facade, making direct red-eyed eye contact with us before drawing the curtains shut. The doors beneath slowly open, beckoning us into the darkness...uh-oh.

Suspenseful music fills the air as we enter the dark confines of the castle, rattling chains, moaning ghosts, and screeching bats all apart of the unsettling atmosphere. The Queen's voice rings out... "Mirror, mirror, on the wall..." Griffin-like statues embedded into the walls clutch dimly-lit sconces, their stone expressions gazing into our eyes. Directly ahead of us, an opened-doorway beckons for us to flee, a sign reading "Dwarfs' Diamond Mine" just on the other side. But before we can escape, a heavy portcullis falls down with a crash in front of it, giving our car no choice but to veer right toward the glimmering face of the Magic Mirror. "Alas, Snow White is the fairest of them all." Our car veers right once more as the unseen Queen shouts "No!" Just ahead is the Queen's throne room where we find the Queen facing a second mirror with her back turned to us and her arms outstretched. Nearby, her faithful raven sits perched atop her lavish throne, seeming to be stuck in a state of perpetual shock. Just as our car reaches the Queen, she pivots around with a strike of lightning that illuminates the entire room, revealing the bulgy eyes and boney fingers of the aforementioned Wicked Witch. "I am the fairest of them all! Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee!" Our car hastily turns sharply away from the Witch, but unfortunately goes straight into the innermost dungeons and catacombs of the forsaken fortress via the second of the dark ride's many "crash doors."

Skeletal prisoners of the Evil Queen appear chained to the walls, floors, and ceilings, two going so far as to be crushed by a fallen portcullis. One of the two reaches out for a too-distant pale of water, the other reaching out towards us! One skeleton in particular, chained to the wall by the throat even reanimates for our safety, begging us to "Go baaaaaack... Go baaaaack..." Green eyes peer out from the shadows, whilst spiders of unusual colors lower from the cobweb-covered ceiling. Black lights create an unnatural, unreal sensation of disenchantment as we enter the laboratory of the Evil Queen... The old hag stands behind a cauldron filled with a bubbling, green liquid. Bubbling test tubes and pots, scattered spellbooks, and a multitude of lit candles surround the Witch as she dips an apple into the cauldron, reading from the opened pages of her spellbook. She pulls the apple out to reveal that the fruit has turned into a green skull, an image taken straight from the film. The Queen's raven joins her once more, menacingly cawing from atop a bookshelf filled with lab equipment straight ahead. As she pulls out the apple, the Witch turns to face us. "Apple, dearie?" Approaching the bookshelf, it begins to shift forward as if about to fall! But luckily for us, our car immediately turns right and breaks out of the castle, the sound of shattering glass and crumbling wood not-so-far behind us.

A grey nightsky festers and swirls above us like a hurricane as we exit the castle, racing past several turrets and across a rickety footbridge running above a trickling stream. An archway leading to the sewers beneath the castle appears just to our left, but no sooner have we noticed this architectural achievement does the Wicked Witch dart out towards us on a small boat, clutching a basket of poisoned apples in one hand and an oar in the other. "Just one bite! Hee hee hee hee!" Our car steers us clear of her wrath once more, but sends us towards a couple of logs resembling some hungry alligators that open their jaws and give actual alligator groans. A third "alligator" launches out from behind a nearby tree, ready for munching on an early luncheon. The trees of the forest grow progressively "deader" and "deader," turning our attention towards the Huntsman. "Please! Run! The Queen is after you! Go! Go!" Thunder and lightning crash, illuminating the first in-ride appearance of Snow White, just as equally terrified as we are. This first appearance from Snow kicks off our trip through a haunted forest filled with fluttering bats, blinking eyes (taken from the Haunted Mansion's wallpaper), and dead oak trees...dead oak trees with "claws" and "faces" that slowly move their claw-like branches towards us. The suspenseful music fades out in favor of eerie sound effects; moaning ghosts, screeching bats, howling wolves. Passing one final tree, we finally come upon our first friendly sight since the load area: the Dwarfs' cottage, warmly lit from within. Naturally, our car bursts inside a set of crash doors to enter, but not before the Witch swoops down from a nearby tree, apple in hand. "Fresh apple! Tasty apple! Hee hee hee hee!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB_74i-aHRk

Finally, something happy. Cutesy woodland creatures peer into the hand-carved and self-decorated cottage of the Dwarfs. From in the other room, we hear the sound of "A Silly Song," and entering the other room we find that the Dwarfs and Snow White are having a little dance party amid their scary adventures. Snow White dances on the floor with a very "tall" Dopey wearing a trenchcoat, whilst Grumpy plunks away at the keys of a miniature organ and the other Dwarfs generally jam out on little instruments. From atop the adjacent staircase, even more woodland critters watch the party, gleefully clapping along and or just smiling, frozen in place. The window below the staircase provides a slight hint of the ominous...the silhouette of a certain old hag... Unfortunately, this moment of happiness doesn't last as we quietly leave the party and head back into the woods, only to be greeted by the Wicked Witch and her all-seeing raven standing just outside the cottage window, cackling wildly as we meet her. We loop around a tree, face a mural of the now-distant Queen's castle, then turn right towards the entrance of the "Dwarfs' Diamond Mine. We enter the mine through yet another set of crash doors...the Witch stands above the diamond mine with an apple at hand, "Enjoying your ride? Hee hee hee hee hee!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI0x0KYChq4

Immediately, we find ourselves re-immersed into a scene of happiness and fairy tale whimsy, meeting the Dwarfs once again amid the horrors of the outside world. The Dwarfs sing a rousing rendition of "We Dig-Dig-Dig" as they tirelessly work at the walls of their glistening diamond mine. Dopey, with eyes multiplied by a pair of giant diamonds covering either socket, sits within a jewel-filled cart pulled by a deer; Sneezy and a raccoon attempt to hold up a pile of buckets filled with jewels, Sneezy himself just about ready to sneeze and drop everything; Sleepy sleeps atop a jewel-filled mine car with a skunk on top of him, its tail brushing his nose; adjacent to Sleepy, Happy and Bashful pick away at the walls, while nearby Doc surveys a collection of rather pricey-looking diamonds; finally, we see Grumpy who stands near an open shaft, clutching an unlit keg of blasting powder which might be a little too heavy for him to carry as a couple of squirrels attempt to give him leg support. Once again, our car leaves the happy behind in favor of the scary; we exit through an open shaft and head back towards the Dwarfs' cottage where the Wicked Witch stands near the opened front-door, Snow White inside the door, about to take a bite from the apple. "That's right, dearie, just one bite, and all of your dreams will come true." Looping around the cottage, thunder and lightning strike. "Now I'm the fairest in the land!" The Witch pops-up from a clearing in the forest, looking a bit overwhelmed with her sin. A pair of mean-eyed vultures from an overhead branch follow our movement as we reenter the Dwarfs' Diamond Mine...this time on less musical circumstances...

Our car passes through an open shaft and into a room filled with countless kegs of blasting powder, a la Pirates of the Caribbean's finale. Suddenly, the music halts, the Witch popping out from behind a lit-barrel, clutching a match. "Surprised?! Hee hee hee hee hee!" Our car zooms into the next shaft, passing a seemingly endless mineshaft to our left, before almost getting slammed by a runaway mine cart filled with jewels. The Witch's laugh rings out behind us. Ahead, a large door reads "KEEP OUT" having been locked and chained-shut many times. Despite this, we enter.

Inside, we find ourselves inside the gem room, a massive chamber filled with gems from floor-to-ceiling, as well as a door labeled "Vault" just straight ahead. All seven of the Dwarfs appear to our left, climbing a staircase in "action poses." "What's she doing in here?!" Happy asks. "She better get out quick!" Grumpy adds. "C'mon, men! Let's get her!" Doc bravely shouts, clutching a lantern. It appears as if the little men are climbing towards a giant green gem perched above the entrance to the vault. Without warning, the Witch prods her head out from behind the gem, attempting to lodge into our heads with a walking stick. "Goodbye, dearies! Hee hee hee hee!" The gem begins to rock forward, but suddenly changes direction, leaning back towards the Witch. The doors to the vault open and the sounds of a massive explosion are heard, accompanied by starbursts reading "BOOM," flashing strobes, and the silhouette of the Witch falling backwards with the giant gem as she unleashes a bloodcurdling scream, shortly followed by the aforementioned pair of vultures flocking down towards the fallen... Our car enters one second-to-last set of crash doors...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96vvSvdl5BU

A moving instrumental of "Some Day My Prince Will Come" fills the air as we enter a colorful clearing the enchanted forest. Snow, having been placed in a glass coffin to preserve her beauty, lays out before us, Prince Ferdinand leaning over her, ready for true love's first kiss. As the two animatronics kiss, Snow's eyes open, much to the joy and pleasure of the surrounding woodland creatures. Turning sharply to the right we face an overhead bridge where Snow and Ferdinand ride away on horseback, turning to wave to the very bald dwarfs standing in a nearby planter, red "smooch-marks" on their foreheads. As a humorous farewell, Dopey appears on the back of Ferdinand's horse, sheepishly bidding us farewell with a little wave. Crashing through one last set of doors beneath the bridge, the wicked cackle of the Witch rings out as we pull back into the load area and depart our car for other adventures in Fantasyland...hopefully less scary ones.

Ride Duration: 3:10 Minutes

Thoughts? Small World is definitely next.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom