MEW's Dream Disney Resort - The Final Chapter - Winner of a Lemon Tree Award, Sponsored by Applebees

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Fantasyland is FINALLY complete, Adventureland is next. I just want to make sure that the final draft is the best it can be before being posted, so I've been really going over things not once, but twice...or three times...or four. Okay, I'm OCD with this project, which is okay considering I'm OCD in real-life.

I watched "Ignite," Roxas. I liked it, but it's just the same as any other fireworks show that Disney does nowadays. I did thoroughly enjoy the Star Wars portion, however. My show will definitely have a story or unifying thematic element in the least to make sense of all these different worlds and musical numbers being connected.

Also, just a quick update on the Haunted Mansion. I've seen an early sketch of the facade by Basketbuddy...holy cow, it is going to look AMAZING. Like, seriously, this thing wasn't even complete and I got chills just from looking at it. This is going to be a work of art and I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure you'll all be thrilled when you see the finished product this summer.

And now... Question time! In regards to the Haunted Mansion, which scene would you prefer before the graveyard?

A) The Attic: Traditional attic scene with pop-up ghosts, beating heart bride, Hatbox Ghost, and the forlorn bride.

B) Clockwork Room: A trip through the Mansion's clock tower with giant gears, cogs, fluttering vampire bats, and the ghost of Master Gracey and his bride.

C) The Playroom: A dark room filled with creepy toys (realistic, not Burton-esque) like baby dolls, harlequin jack-in-the-boxes, marionettes, ventriloquist dummies, and creepily enough, ghost children.

D) A Combination of C and B like the Clockwork Room in Luigi's Mansion. Admittedly, the scariest room in the game with toy soldiers, dolls, cuckoo clocks, and marionettes. Likewise, it'd be the scariest room in the house.

E) Prop Room: Fitting in with the theme of haunted Hollywood, this would be an attic filled with old props and set pieces from former films and theatrical productions. I think we can all agree that this would just be creepy in general seeing cobweb-laced remnants of a faded star's past.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Fantasyland is FINALLY complete, Adventureland is next. I just want to make sure that the final draft is the best it can be before being posted, so I've been really going over things not once, but twice...or three times...or four. Okay, I'm OCD with this project, which is okay considering I'm OCD in real-life.

I watched "Ignite," Roxas. I liked it, but it's just the same as any other fireworks show that Disney does nowadays. I did thoroughly enjoy the Star Wars portion, however. My show will definitely have a story or unifying thematic element in the least to make sense of all these different worlds and musical numbers being connected.

Also, just a quick update on the Haunted Mansion. I've seen an early sketch of the facade by Basketbuddy...holy cow, it is going to look AMAZING. Like, seriously, this thing wasn't even complete and I got chills just from looking at it. This is going to be a work of art and I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure you'll all be thrilled when you see the finished product this summer.

And now... Question time! In regards to the Haunted Mansion, which scene would you prefer before the graveyard?

A) The Attic: Traditional attic scene with pop-up ghosts, beating heart bride, Hatbox Ghost, and the forlorn bride.

B) Clockwork Room: A trip through the Mansion's clock tower with giant gears, cogs, fluttering vampire bats, and the ghost of Master Gracey and his bride.

C) The Playroom: A dark room filled with creepy toys (realistic, not Burton-esque) like baby dolls, harlequin jack-in-the-boxes, marionettes, ventriloquist dummies, and creepily enough, ghost children.

D) A Combination of C and B like the Clockwork Room in Luigi's Mansion. Admittedly, the scariest room in the game with toy soldiers, dolls, cuckoo clocks, and marionettes. Likewise, it'd be the scariest room in the house.

E) Prop Room: Fitting in with the theme of haunted Hollywood, this would be an attic filled with old props and set pieces from former films and theatrical productions. I think we can all agree that this would just be creepy in general seeing cobweb-laced remnants of a faded star's past.

I think D would be the best.

orlando678-

I can't choose between D and E

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
So, D and E are the popular vote... Well, were I to relocate Hatty to a different part of the Mansion, I'd simply plop him into the graveyard in an appropriate location. I'm toying with the possibility of making my Mansion into a trackless dark ride rather than an omnimover, but I'm hesitant to the idea. At the same time, I'm not. Combing Mystic Manor with the traditional Haunted Mansion could have some potentially outstanding results. We'll see where my stance is when I get to Hollywoodland in the final draft.

I do know that this will be the instrumental used in the swinging wake:

It only seems fitting given the swing dance vibe it has and the land's 1940s Hollywood theme. Better yet, if I make this into a Mystic Manor-type ride, I'm considering having Danny Elfman come in (yes, I know this isn't real, lol) and do an original score for the attraction based on a combination of "Grim, Grinning Ghosts" and the more dramatic elements from the score of Sunset Boulevard.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I've decided to keep the Haunted Mansion as a classic omnimover experience, which, in hindsight is me being selfish, mostly because I want to keep my favorite ride as close to my favorite as possible, if that makes any sense.

The final draft is going well, I'm currently working on the recently renamed Pirate's Cove (formerly "Uncharted Lagoon") portion of Adventureland. Ironically, I've reverted the Forgotten Kingdom back to Paradise Springs, the original name of the original Adventureland in my original Dream Disney Resort that I started (but never finished) years and years ago. For those of you unfamiliar to the concept, Paradise Springs is a rundown settlement located on a desert island somewhere in the South Pacific. Like the Swiss Family Robinson, the island is inhabited by exotic animals from all over the world, courtesy of a prehistoric land bridge that has since sunk into the ocean. Unlike the Swiss Family Robinson, the island is also inhabited by ancient ruins and remnants of a forgotten kingdom. In this version of the dream resort, the lost civilization in question worshipped the Four Winds, hence the Temple of the Four Winds' presence.

The shooting gallery I had instated in Frontierland will be removed, due in part to an interactive shooter dark ride being planned for the land. Said dark ride will be themed to Woody's Roundup, even being in black-and-white inside the rotting timbers of an old puppet theater in Buzzard Rock County. I'm sure this idea has been done before on WDWMagic, but I can't recall seeing it anywhere, lol. If it has been, I apologize, just know I'm not stealing your idea. An authentic shooting gallery will make its home in Adventureland, though, as well as Discovery Bay.

Rogue's Gallery (classic POTC) will be a traditional boat ride with waterfall drops. Battle for the Sunken Treasure (working title) on the other hand, will not. As to not be redundant with Rogue's Gallery, Sunken Treasure is now a trackless dark ride similar to Mystic Manor. In fact, a plethora of new scenes and effects can be incorporated thanks to this new ride system.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Behold, something new!

Upon exiting Rogue's Gallery, guests will be given the opportunity to redirect into Pieces of Eight, a pirate-y gift shop, or better yet, the Hall of Infamy, a small wax museum dedicated to the world's finest rascals, scoundrels, villains and knaves. Pirates, both fictional and otherwise, will be on display in full wax recreations, many based on actual Marc Davis designs or historically-accurate paintings. Featured pirates include Captain Kidd, Calico Jack, the real Blackbeard, J.M. Barrie's Captain Hook (not the Disney one), Long John Silver, Anne Bonny and Marie Read, and more.

Now it's time for a poll!

A) Rogue's Gallery featuring vignettes with real-life pirates caught in action. Notably, Rogue's Gallery does not feature the skeletons seen in the original POTC (said skeletons have been relocated to a walk-thru attraction on Adventure Isle), so there is room for expansion in the updated take on POTC. These real-life pirates, regardless of their historical era would be referred to in the script by name.

B) Rogue's Gallery featuring vignettes with the pirates of myth and literature caught in action, aside from the typical Marc Davis pirates. Pirates such as Captain Hook (the non-Disney version), Mr. Smee, Long John Silver, Captain Flint, and others are all featured in various roles, even described in-ride as those particular characters. For instance, the pirates dunking the magistrate in the well would be Hook as the interrogator and Smee as the jolly flutist. The dialogue would go as such:

Hook: Pipe the lubber aloft, matey! Speak up ya bilge rat - where be the treasure?
Wife: Do not tell him, Carlos! No! No! No! No! No! (shots fired, she screams)
Watchman: Scuttle the old cockroach!
Mayor: No! No! Por favor! No! No! No! (laughter)
Watchman: Shall we give 'em another chance, Cap'n Hook?
Hook: Aye! Pipe him up again, matey.
Wife: Be brave, Carlos! Don't listen to him. (shots fired, laughter follows)
Hook: By gum he'll talk! Or do you fancy a dance with this here hook, or Davy Jones? Be that clear, senor?
Wife: Don't tell him, Carlos! Don't be chicken! (shots fired)
Hook: Blast her, mates! (shots fired again, she screams)
Carlos: I am no chicken! I will not talk! I will not talk!

Not that exactly, but something similar.

C) Both A & B. Rogue's Gallery would then be a decided mix of fiction and nonfiction alongside the legendary artistry of Marc Davis, Claude Coats and Xavier Atencio.

D) Neither, keep it classic all the way. Why would you even suggest such a dumb idea, MEW?

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Behold, something new!

Upon exiting Rogue's Gallery, guests will be given the opportunity to redirect into Pieces of Eight, a pirate-y gift shop, or better yet, the Hall of Infamy, a small wax museum dedicated to the world's finest rascals, scoundrels, villains and knaves. Pirates, both fictional and otherwise, will be on display in full wax recreations, many based on actual Marc Davis designs or historically-accurate paintings. Featured pirates include Captain Kidd, Calico Jack, the real Blackbeard, J.M. Barrie's Captain Hook (not the Disney one), Long John Silver, Anne Bonny and Marie Read, and more.

Now it's time for a poll!

A) Rogue's Gallery featuring vignettes with real-life pirates caught in action. Notably, Rogue's Gallery does not feature the skeletons seen in the original POTC (said skeletons have been relocated to a walk-thru attraction on Adventure Isle), so there is room for expansion in the updated take on POTC. These real-life pirates, regardless of their historical era would be referred to in the script by name.

B) Rogue's Gallery featuring vignettes with the pirates of myth and literature caught in action, aside from the typical Marc Davis pirates. Pirates such as Captain Hook (the non-Disney version), Mr. Smee, Long John Silver, Captain Flint, and others are all featured in various roles, even described in-ride as those particular characters. For instance, the pirates dunking the magistrate in the well would be Hook as the interrogator and Smee as the jolly flutist. The dialogue would go as such:

Hook: Pipe the lubber aloft, matey! Speak up ya bilge rat - where be the treasure?
Wife: Do not tell him, Carlos! No! No! No! No! No! (shots fired, she screams)
Watchman: Scuttle the old cockroach!
Mayor: No! No! Por favor! No! No! No! (laughter)
Watchman: Shall we give 'em another chance, Cap'n Hook?
Hook: Aye! Pipe him up again, matey.
Wife: Be brave, Carlos! Don't listen to him. (shots fired, laughter follows)
Hook: By gum he'll talk! Or do you fancy a dance with this here hook, or Davy Jones? Be that clear, senor?
Wife: Don't tell him, Carlos! Don't be chicken! (shots fired)
Hook: Blast her, mates! (shots fired again, she screams)
Carlos: I am no chicken! I will not talk! I will not talk!

Not that exactly, but something similar.

C) Both A & B. Rogue's Gallery would then be a decided mix of fiction and nonfiction alongside the legendary artistry of Marc Davis, Claude Coats and Xavier Atencio.

D) Neither, keep it classic all the way. Why would you even suggest such a dumb idea, MEW?

I'd pick D. :p

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Okay, D it is! Haha. It really was a dumb idea, but it struck my fancy for a hot second. The Hall of Infamy will be present near the attraction's exit, though, so that will cover history and fiction's most infamous fiends.

It's called Rogue's Gallery because, in terms of realistic thinking, people would approach an attraction called Pirates of the Caribbean (or with POTC in the title) and nowadays would expect to see Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, Barbossa, etc. Unfortunately, one of the reasons (other than being a cash and merch grab) to put movie characters in the original ride(s) was due to guests questioning where Jack was, and where Barbossa was, and so on. Calling it Rogue's Gallery will distinguish it as its own animal, and not something relating to the films. True, the Gallery part doesn't make it seem like an exciting boat ride, but the alternatives don't roll off the tongue...

POTC: Battle for the Sunken Treasure on the other hand is all about the movies, so that will appease the appetite of many an average guest. It has POTC in the title to associate itself with a film franchise that is now known all over the world. True, it is beginning to show its age, but, with a new film coming out in a year or two, I can only imagine that they will milk the franchise further. It's funny - the 1967 classic attraction hasn't shown a bit of age in comparison to the film franchise.

Call me a purist, but I'm a fan of the classic POTC all the way. Aside from growing up with it, I'm pro-original chase scene, pro-Paul Frees, pro-non-censored version all the way. I don't mind the movie-related changes all too much, but at the same time, I do. It's something that I've learned to live with as a Disney fan (it's not the end of the world, clearly), but I'd rather them not be there.

Rogue's Gallery comes from the original name for POTC (when it was a wax museum), and I felt as if it calling it something other than POTC would only benefit the fictitious guest relations department in City Hall. Yes, I care about my fictional cast members, haha.

FigmentPigments

Okay, D it is! Haha. It really was a dumb idea, but it struck my fancy for a hot second. The Hall of Infamy will be present near the attraction's exit, though, so that will cover history and fiction's most infamous fiends.

It's called Rogue's Gallery because, in terms of realistic thinking, people would approach an attraction called Pirates of the Caribbean (or with POTC in the title) and nowadays would expect to see Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, Barbossa, etc. Unfortunately, one of the reasons (other than being a cash and merch grab) to put movie characters in the original ride(s) was due to guests questioning where Jack was, and where Barbossa was, and so on. Calling it Rogue's Gallery will distinguish it as its own animal, and not something relating to the films. True, the Gallery part doesn't make it seem like an exciting boat ride, but the alternatives don't roll off the tongue...

POTC: Battle for the Sunken Treasure on the other hand is all about the movies, so that will appease the appetite of many an average guest. It has POTC in the title to associate itself with a film franchise that is now known all over the world. True, it is beginning to show its age, but, with a new film coming out in a year or two, I can only imagine that they will milk the franchise further. It's funny - the 1967 classic attraction hasn't shown a bit of age in comparison to the film franchise.

Call me a purist, but I'm a fan of the classic POTC all the way. Aside from growing up with it, I'm pro-original chase scene, pro-Paul Frees, pro-non-censored version all the way. I don't mind the movie-related changes all too much, but at the same time, I do. It's something that I've learned to live with as a Disney fan (it's not the end of the world, clearly), but I'd rather them not be there.

Rogue's Gallery comes from the original name for POTC (when it was a wax museum), and I felt as if it calling it something other than POTC would only benefit the fictitious guest relations department in City Hall. Yes, I care about my fictional cast members, haha.
Nah.. not dumb at all. Sometimes new and wonderful things happen simply because someone thought, "What if?" Keep having those "What if?" moments, MEW. Even if they don't end up in your final draft, I love to read what could have been. Still loving this thread!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Nah.. not dumb at all. Sometimes new and wonderful things happen simply because someone thought, "What if?" Keep having those "What if?" moments, MEW. Even if they don't end up in your final draft, I love to read what could have been. Still loving this thread!

Thanks for the encouragement! I also love that similar aspect of watching something grow and become a "what if" kind of deal. There are definitely plenty of those moments with this project. Having a park this big provides those countless opportunities and situations.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
It's June!!! You know what that means...

It means that the final draft is due this month! However, I'm running a little behind schedule (my personal life is crazy), so it won't be up in its entirety for at least a couple weeks. I do have a good chunk of it done, but I want everything to be done by the time of mine posting it. I'm not the biggest fan of having to rush to complete work, especially when I have good, un-rushed work out for everyone to see. Good work takes time, and this dream resort is definitely taking me time. I thank you for your patience and cooperation.

As a special sneak peek of things to come, here's a look at the four variations on the classic Jungle Cruise found in Disneyland Australia.

1. Jungle River Cruise: Your standard Jungle Cruise-type attraction, firmly rooted in inspiration from all existing versions of the attraction (particularly Orlando and Tokyo), not to mention inventions of my own design. One such instance will be a crashed biplane in a thicket of man-eating plants, a lioness hunt, a revitalized headhunter ambush, and much, much more.

2. Jungle River Cruise - Night Time Safaris: Inspired by Tokyo, the Jungle River Cruise quite literally takes on a new light come nightfall. Special lighting, fog, and other special effects make the entirety of the jungle appear more alive than ever, as does an onboard soundtrack that is only featured at night. Additionally, a hidden track switch sends the boats through a water-logged temple (a la Tokyo/Florida) ridden with ancient spirits, a scene that is not normally featured in the daytime cruise.

3. Jungle Terror Cruise: Every October, the Jungle River Cruise takes inspiration from Hong Kong, turning the jungle rivers into a mysterious forest filled with terror... Come nightfall, the onboard soundtrack returns with a much darker tone, sending guests deep into a cursed, eerily green-lit wilderness. When the skipper unintentionally offends a voodoo priest, the priest unleashes a slew of evil spirits into the jungle, causing skeletal zombies to rise from beneath the waters, man-eating vines to give chase, and so much more, all ending in a nightmarish trip through that same water-logged temple from the Night Time Safaris, only redone to become the lair of the priest.

4. Jingle River Cruise: For those seeking something more jolly, the Jingle River Cruise takes over the jungles (day and night) from November through December, retelling the story of a cargo plane crashing in the jungle and dropping a shipment of holiday decorations EVERYWHERE. Curiously, live polar bears were apart of the cargo, allowing the great beasts to takeover the water-logged temple which is accessed now at all times of the day and night.

FigmentPigments

It's June!!! You know what that means...

It means that the final draft is due this month! However, I'm running a little behind schedule (my personal life is crazy), so it won't be up in its entirety for at least a couple weeks. I do have a good chunk of it done, but I want everything to be done by the time of mine posting it. I'm not the biggest fan of having to rush to complete work, especially when I have good, un-rushed work out for everyone to see. Good work takes time, and this dream resort is definitely taking me time. I thank you for your patience and cooperation.

As a special sneak peek of things to come, here's a look at the four variations on the classic Jungle Cruise found in Disneyland Australia.

1. Jungle River Cruise: Your standard Jungle Cruise-type attraction, firmly rooted in inspiration from all existing versions of the attraction (particularly Orlando and Tokyo), not to mention inventions of my own design. One such instance will be a crashed biplane in a thicket of man-eating plants, a lioness hunt, a revitalized headhunter ambush, and much, much more.

2. Jungle River Cruise - Night Time Safaris: Inspired by Tokyo, the Jungle River Cruise quite literally takes on a new light come nightfall. Special lighting, fog, and other special effects make the entirety of the jungle appear more alive than ever, as does an onboard soundtrack that is only featured at night. Additionally, a hidden track switch sends the boats through a water-logged temple (a la Tokyo/Florida) ridden with ancient spirits, a scene that is not normally featured in the daytime cruise.

3. Jungle Terror Cruise: Every October, the Jungle River Cruise takes inspiration from Hong Kong, turning the jungle rivers into a mysterious forest filled with terror... Come nightfall, the onboard soundtrack returns with a much darker tone, sending guests deep into a cursed, eerily green-lit wilderness. When the skipper unintentionally offends a voodoo priest, the priest unleashes a slew of evil spirits into the jungle, causing skeletal zombies to rise from beneath the waters, man-eating vines to give chase, and so much more, all ending in a nightmarish trip through that same water-logged temple from the Night Time Safaris, only redone to become the lair of the priest.

4. Jingle River Cruise: For those seeking something more jolly, the Jingle River Cruise takes over the jungles (day and night) from November through December, retelling the story of a cargo plane crashing in the jungle and dropping a shipment of holiday decorations EVERYWHERE. Curiously, live polar bears were apart of the cargo, allowing the great beasts to takeover the water-logged temple which is accessed now at all times of the day and night.
This sounds excellent, and I'm especially a fan of the Terror Cruise. I am curious to know if the Terror Cruise will still retain some of the corny humor (not necessarily the same jokes) as with the other three or if it will have a more serious overtone. Either way, this sounds like a great addition to the park.

Twilight_Roxas

This sounds excellent, and I'm especially a fan of the Terror Cruise. I am curious to know if the Terror Cruise will still retain some of the corny humor (not necessarily the same jokes) as with the other three or if it will have a more serious overtone. Either way, this sounds like a great addition to the park.
I bet there jokes are scarier.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm a big fan of the Jungle Cruise myself (former Adventureland CM here), particularly the Jungle Cruise of yore. One of my favorite nerdy pastimes is to watch old documentaries about Disneyland specifically to watch the segments on the Jungle Cruise in all of its un-politically correct glory days. Supposedly, back in the day, skippers would shoot at all the hazards, not just the hippos. Of course, I'm a fan of not shooting endangered animals, but that general "pulp adventure" tone is something I want to bring back. I want to revitalize the concept of a "jungle world that never was."

While nowadays the ride is considered too corny to take seriously, I'd like to find a happy-medium between corny and dramatic for the non-seasonal Jungle River Cruise. Tokyo's current version does a good job at my general idea, but I want to take it an extra step further. After all, the Jungle Cruise was based off of Walt's True-Life Adventure films, and I really want to pay tribute to that, as well as the land's underlying backstory of Paradise Springs, a rundown fishing village on a remote desert island somewhere in the South Pacific. The story goes that this island was once home to a fascinating culture that have long-since vanished, only leaving behind a populace of exotic animals from all around the world. This negates the need for the Jungle River Cruise to be a trip across "international waters."

The Terror Cruise on the other hand will have a few jokes, but all-in-all, not too many. As it is based off of Hong Kong's Jungle River Cruise: Curse of the Emerald Trinity, the ride will be firmly rooted in a foreboding atmosphere with a few jump scares along the way. This is a distinctly unique experience that even rivals the overlay in which it is rooted.

Would you guys like an overview of the non-seasonal Jungle River Cruise, or would you rather me just continue to work on the final draft and post Jungle later?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom