MEW's Dream Disney Resort - The Final Chapter - Winner of a Lemon Tree Award, Sponsored by Applebees

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I can understand your opinions, and I thank you for them, but for the time being I'm going to keep them in Riley's Head for the sake of a consistency with the ongoing imagination theme of the area as well as the previously unmentioned fact that both characters will be slightly redesigned to appear more Pixar-y. So Dreamfinder will appear less realistic and more like an adult Pixar human with the same traditional features, while Figment will appear generally the same but more in the cartoonish spirit and style of the emotions. As a whole, this incarnation of the classic attraction takes place completely in Riley's head and not some Future World pavilion, lol, so Dreamfinder and Figment are quite literally figments of her imagination in this version. They only exist inside her head.

I've done a lot of outlandish things with this park so far, and I know that this idea is definitely one of them, haha. I can understand the concern because Figment and Dreamfinder have nothing to do with Pixar or Inside Out, but I don't see why they can't be incorporated into the same universe, especially when said universe has so much creative potential.

To be fair, I did have this originally placed in Tomorrowland, but I ultimately decided on moving it when I came up with the idea of Dreamfinder being a hyper-unrealistic perception of a child's grandfather which, in my version of the attraction, he will be. When I get to Tomorrowland, if I feel like the final product is really missing something, I'll retheme the attraction and move it back to Tomorrowland because I do take your feedback to heart and appreciate all of it. :) For now, it will be in Riley's Head, but you never know, it might move back, only time will tell.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Agh, I felt like something was off when I was typing it. Thanks! Lol.

TSL181008.jpg

Continuing past the aforementioned several story-high Woody doll (which spits out several of his trademark catchphrases every few seconds), we take note of a series of letter blocks and Lego bricks crafted together piece-by-piece to spell out the sub-area's title of Bonnie's Backyard. As the story goes, we've been shrunk down to the size of a toy and have been personally invited by Woody, Buzz and the gang to visit a toy-hosted carnival celebrating "National Friendship Day" amid the giant blades of grass and oversized potted plants in Bonnie's backyard. Banners composed of tissue paper and paper towels read in crude crayon-lettering "National Friendship Day," whilst a large iPod with its earbuds exposed rather loudly plays Randy Newman hits such as "You've Got a Friend in Me" and "We Belong Together," a cleverly-disguised source of Toy Story-themed background music.

Our first stop is Al's Toy Barn, labeled (and misspelled) by a large piece of cardboard obviously scribbled on by Bonnie in crayon. An equally-poor drawing of Al in his chicken suit sits not too far from the entrance to the store, the store itself contained in the plastic confines of a Fisher-Price farmhouse. Once inside the farmhouse, plastic Fisher-Price barnyard animals appear among the toy-lined shelves and displays, in addition to farmers represented by Fisher-Price's popular "Little People" figures. Overhead Scrabble letters hung by fishing string and yarn spell out various phrases and quotes from the films, perfectly lit by glow-in-the-dark star stickers plastered on the walls. Like the human-sized Al's Toy Barn somewhere in the real-world, an entire aisle dedicated to Buzz Lightyear is featured, including a special display for an exclusive utility belt accessory. Across the way from Al's Toy Barn, Critter Creek (as introduced by an Etch A Sketch in the nearby bushes) represents the miniature western town seen in Woody's Roundup, only here, the buildings are created by cardboard boxes and takeout containers a la Andy in the first scene from the first Toy Story. As expected, there's a Sheriff's Office, Jailhouse, and Bank, but none of the three are truly accessible as these are just clever facades for Stinky Pete's Saloon, the park's second western-themed saloon...if you can call this an actual saloon...

Crafted from the interiors of a former Stinky Pete box and Chinese takeout container, Stinky Pete's Saloon transports us into the toys' interpretation of the Old West, a vast departure from that of the more factual interpretation seen in Frontierland. In this honky tonk toy saloon, an actual honky tonk piano plays itself, performing such classic western diddies as "Camptown Races" and "Oh, Susanna" whilst we dine on western fare. Naturally, the piano is composed of q-tips, tinkertoys, and lincoln logs. Like the Diamondback Rattlesnake Saloon in Frontierland, live entertainment is also on the menu, this time being a live performance of Woody's Roundup, presented by Cowboy Crunchies. In Woody's Roundup, presented in glorious black and white, our host, Wilson Netherspoon temporarily takes us back in time to the era of 1950's television with the help of his western-accented colleague, Tex Tumbleweed, the in-house guitarist and human sound effect-provider. With their narration, we unfold the story of "Woody's Finest Hour" where Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, and Stinky Pete craft their way out of a sticky situation. Like an old-fashioned melodrama, cue cards for the audience to participate via cheering or applauding are apart of the mix, making Woody's Roundup a must-see for anyone with a taste for bad puns and overacting. During breakfast, you can bet that authentic Cowboy Crunchies are apart of the menu. Naturally, Tex Tumbleweed and Wilson Netherspoon are also toys; Tex has a pull string in his back and Wilson has a windup key in his.

TSL203431.jpg

Next door to Critter Creek is a different kind of roundup, this roundup being that of a full-on roller coaster. Slink's Slinky Spin takes us through the miniature world of Bonnie's backyard on a fast-paced race through the overgrown lawn. Hopping aboard Slink's back, we dart off into the wild green yonder on a thrill ride we won't soon forget. Continuing with the theme of National Friendship Day, Rex, the Potato Heads, Trix, Buttercup, and all the others are well underway in setting up an all-toy carnival in celebration of the holiday. But Mrs. Potato Head, having forgot to pick up her adopted alien sons from preschool, has sent Slinky to go pick them up with our assistance. Our journey takes us aboard Slinky's back and on a wild goose chase past familiar friends and miniature obstacles (such as a barrel of monkeys gone wild) to Tin Toy Preschool, an all-toy school built inside a giant pink backpack. As usual, a happy ending ensues. Coincidentally, the whole of the attraction takes place on the rails of a "Mega Coaster Playset" constructed by Bonnie earlier in the day, the opened box of said playset creating the indoor portion of the queue.

A giant Hamm wisecracks our direction, suggesting that we head further down the dirt path towards two additional attractions,
RC Racer and the LGM Flying Saucers. RC Racer, located in the portion of Bonnie's Backyard farthest from the rest of the park (to evade sightline issues) is another thrill ride intended for the whole family. A semicircular "halfpipe" of orange Hot Wheels track has been set up among the taller bushes, utilized by a familiar remote-controlled RC car. Taking a seat inside the RC car takes us on a wild ride up and down the halfpipe, reaching heights of 80 feet or less at varying speeds. The LGM Flying Saucers nearby revive an extinct Disneyland attraction that has been ill-fatedly revived time and time again: the Flying Saucers. But this time, things are done a bit differently.

Taking inspiration from Tokyo DisneySea's "Aquatopia" attraction, the LGM Flying Saucers are controlled by wifi, meaning that the air pressure of the platform and vehicles, vehicle motion, and vehicle speed are all pre-programmed and controlled by a computer. Unlike prior incarnations of the flat ride, this one isn't instantly bound for failure. Even more so, the whole of the attraction is covered by a UFO-resembling shelter, whilst in the center of it all, a massive UFO filled with "oohing and ahing" LGMs (Little Green Men) spins around in the center of the platform. Just a short distance from the exit is an overturned Lego Toy Story playset, the home of the first Lego store inside a Magic Kingdom. The Lego Store is exactly what it is...a Lego store. Legos of every sort are sold inside the giant cardboard box, not to mention plenty of Pixar-inspired displays crafted by Lego master-builders, as well as giant minifigures hard at work on creating immersive scenery. Custom sets and minifigures are indeed apart of the store's itinerary, as is a wide selection of individual bricks and pieces to choose from. Don't worry, "Everything is Awesome" is not played on repeat here.

Bonnie's Toybox welcomes us inside through a "mouse-sized" hole in its base. Inside we are treated to a meet-n-greet with Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, Buzz, Stinky Pete, Lotso, or a Magic Kingdom first: Barbie and Ken in the face character format. Nearby, the outdoor Games of the Midway allow us to participate in carnival games designed by the toys specifically for National Friendship Day, including "Ken & Barbie's Hawaiian Vacation," "Chuckles' Big Top," and "Bo-Peep's Baaaa-lloon Pop." Prizes range from plush toys to cotton candy. Barker Potato Head, a la Toy Story Midway Mania performs daily vaudeville routines in the midst of the cardboard-crafted midway, singing and dancing to his potato heart's content. It only seems fair that the whole of the midway is held beneath a circus tent-striped baseball cap. Casey Jr.'s Animal Crackers sells a wide variety of carnival food, including deep-fried anything, cotton candy, popcorn, ice cream, meat on sticks, circus peanuts, etc.

20130925125315.jpg

During the holidays, things in Bonnie's Backyard are spiced up a bit, whether it be additional Christmas lights strung across the walkways, or giant ornaments and candy canes hidden among the blades of grass. At Halloween, several giant recreations of Sid's mutant toys make cameo appearances alongside the year-round toys, such as the pictured Babyface and a series of Scrabble letters spelling "Halloween." A giant Lots-o-Huggin' Bear makes his fiberglass debut in place of Hamm, but only for the month of October, as does a giant Emperor Zurg who replaces Buzz Lightyear outside his namesake attraction...

538989178_ceba35579a_b.preview.jpg

The final major attraction in Bonnie's Backyard isn't exactly the expected Toy Story Midway Mania, nor is it the Army Men's Parachute Drop found in other Toy Story Lands. Nope. Instead, another Disney classic of the modern-era makes its home for the first time outside of Tomorrowland. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Rescue takes us past a giant figure of Buzz Lightyear and inside a giant playset box labeled "Buzz Lightyear vs Emperor Zurg" which sternly notes that some adult assembly is required in multiple languages. Heading through a tunnel built from building blocks, chewing gum, and Legos, we are drafted by Buzz Lightyear himself into our very own space ranger mission. The evil Emperor Zurg has taken all the toys' batteries and will stop at nothing until he has every last battery all to himself. With the help of some other dastardly toys (such as Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots and Hungry, Hungry Hippos) Zurg has additionally kidnapped Woody and Jessie, taking them to his evil hideaway on the dreaded Mt. Anthill. It is up to us, Buzz Lightyear, and some helpful LGM's to board a "space cruiser" and take aim at targets aglow with the letter "Z." Unlike prior versions of the interactive dark ride, the whole of the adventure takes place in Bonnie's backyard, no outer space required. Each and every location takes place in a different "playset" rather than a different planet or spaceship interior, making Space Ranger Rescue a "true-life" adventure.

Meandering past the blades of grass and giant bushes found in Bonnie's Backyard, things take a drastically aquatic turn just south of our path... Intrigued, we continue forward towards the final sub-area of Pixar Place...

You're probably wondering where Midway Mania is...well, I've nixed it for good reason. One, Ride & Go Seek uses the same ride system and interactive elements, and two, I thought that a spinoff of Astro Blasters set in a backyard would be more thematically acceptable.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Hey guys! Just a quick update. The Great Barrier Reef will be posted within the next couple of days, most likely tomorrow. Clearly, we still have a lot to cover in this park. The sheer amount of size this park has is getting the best of me. :banghead: But ignore that little emoji slamming his head against a brick wall, this project has been a joy creating and I've had nothing but fun making it. It certainly hasn't been easy, but it has been fun, and in the end that's what armchair Imagineering is all about.

As of today, several videos of Shanghai Disneyland attractions have been leaked onto Facebook and YouTube... You know what this means... It only means that I'm gaining more inspiration for more ideas and improvements to my park. You can bet that the final overview of the entire park will have some changes and features that weren't exactly featured the first time around. You can bet that the final draft will be my most epic creation of all-time. So stay tuned.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
No, so far only Peter Pan's Flight (AMAZING), Winnie the Pooh (which is basically a Florida clone), the TRON Lightcycles (AMAZING), some video of the Enchanted Storybook Castle, some clips of the Battle for Sunken Treasure (ALSO AMAZING), pictures of Voyage to the Crystal Grotto, and some more details that have yet to be seen. Disney and More has the best article on the matter.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

I can assure you that Shanghai will definitely have an influence on my park's final draft. Speaking of the final draft, I might be reformatting certain areas of the park to make more logistical sense. Due to a change in my park's "land" roster, I've decided that Storybook Circus (or Dumbo's Circus; haven't chosen a name yet) will be installed into Fantasyland during the final draft. So stay tuned.

Again, I'd love to get some kind of map sketched out, but my artistic skills are rather...well, let's just dive into the Great Barrier Reef, shall we?

The sixth and final sub-area of Pixar Place takes inspiration from DisneySea's own "Mermaid Lagoon," finding its home within the interior confines of a massive oceanic rock covered in kelp, seaweed, coral, and other aquatic matter. The southwest extension of the Pixar Studios hub spans the waters of a not-so-distant lagoon flowing beneath the nearby Disneyland Australia Railroad tracks, an extension of Discovery Bay, a yet-to-be-explored region of the park. The salty waves of the tide crash up against the base of the massive rock, this rock being the home of the Great Barrier Reef, the appropriate dwelling of Nemo, Dory, Marlin, Crush, Squirt, Hank, Bruce, the Tank Gang, and all the other classic characters from Pixar's beloved underwater franchise. Before we enter through a cavernous hole crafted into the side of the rock, we hear the nearby cawing of some beady-eyed seagulls perched upon a rust-encrusted buoy, famously shrieking "MINE! MINE! MINE!"

503741824_842d332a9b.jpg

Entering the Great Barrier Reef is almost like entering an aquatic dreamworld of sorts...in a mere matter of seconds, the atmosphere around us has been transformed into a near-exact replica of one of Australia's many natural wonders...giant coral, oversized anemones, and the shimmering sunlight reflecting upon the visible oceanic surface above our heads, accomplished via clever lighting, projections, and a rather convincing scrim...luscious orchestrations taken straight from the films provide an ambient environment of realistic fantasy...the silhouettes of passing fish and other sea creatures are cast upon the rocks, hinting at an unseen community of wildlife beyond the limits of our own imaginations...every so often, a boat, otherwise referred to by younger fish as a "butt" can be seen treading water on the waves above, causing the aforementioned silhouettes to scatter and hide until the "butt" is well out of sight. Our adventure has begun.

Mr. Ray's Stingray Race greets us first as we step under the sea. Notoriously, Pixar Place has the tendency to incorporate Pixar-themed "flat-rides" into its impressive roster of attractions, so naturally, Mr. Ray's Stingray Race is a flat-ride in its own right. Hopping inside a hollowed-out seashell, an overhead stingray, courtesy of Mr. Ray's extended family grabs ahold of us via four strands of seaweed and takes us on an "airborne" spin through the "skies" of the colorful reef, a la Flik's Flyers in California Adventure, all spun to the musical stylings of Mr. Ray's famous explorer songs. Near the exit of Mr. Ray's is an actual area for marine biology education, a tide pool-esque petting zoo featuring sea urchins, starfish, and in a separate pool: actual manta rays that pose no threat upon human contact. Embedded into a large volcanic rock is a screen that plays films about preserving Australia's Great Barrier Reef and all the oceanic wildlife that inhabit it, warning of the dangers of pollution and the motto of "all drains lead to the ocean." This little zoo is known as the Junior Explorer Academy, managed and operated by both Mr. Ray and Australia Zoo-trained zookeepers (the same zookeepers who work elsewhere in the park).

jumpin-jellyfish.jpg

Jumpin' Jellyfish provides a bit of a thrill for those of a younger age, a not-so-intense freefall ride in the spirit of Frontierland's far more intense Geyser Mountain. Boarding yet another seashell (this time clutched by tentacles), one of several oversized jellyfish pulls us up and down at varying speeds for a "jumpin'" good time, providing stunning views of the aquatic sub-area in the process, not to mention simulating one of the most memorable scenes from Finding Nemo. The Humpback Whale serves as the resident Finding Nemo superstore, strangely held inside the pink bowels of a humpback whale with its mouth agape. You can bet that all the cast members here say "thank you" in the exotic whale language, up until now thought to only be known to whales and Dory. Trilobites, a snack stand themed to the extinct prehistoric arthropods serves up fresh batches of seafood-based snacks by the minute, much to the enjoyment of the local predator population...

Notably, fiberglass figures of various characters from the films appear hidden or in plain sight among the scenery, a la Bonnie's Backyard and Castle Town. For instance, Mr. Ray can be seen overseeing the Junior Explorer Academy from a nearby clifftop, whilst Nemo and Marlin can be seen just outside their sea anemone abode. Dory and Hank can be found outside Hank's Octo-Fly, the third and final flat-ride in the sub-area. Hank's Octo-Fly takes a cue from the classic carnival swing ride, only this swingset is controlled by a giant recreation of Hank with a lot more tentacles than his normal eight-tentacled appearance. Although a bit similar to Mr. Ray's Stingray Race, Hank's Octopi-Fly boasts more vehicles and higher speeds and heights, providing a far more thrilling experience. Dory's Tidepool found just a short distance from Hank's is an indoor-water playground utilizing spitting fish, spinning seashells, and lots and lots of puddles...underwater...which is somewhat ironic I suppose.

Two major E-Tickets reside in the Great Barrier Reef, the first being Crush's Coaster, a wild mouse coaster located just on the outskirts of the main reef. With the distant East Australian Current churning on the horizon (a closer look proves that turtles are in fact swimming through it), we enter yet another underwater cave near a large fiberglass figure of Crush. Unlike the Walt Disney Studios attraction of the same name, Crush's Coaster takes us through meandering catacombs located deep beneath the ocean's floor. As we parade through the queue, we are told the story of how a sea turtle obtains its name through Crush-recorded narration and primitive cave-drawings, presumably drawn by turtles (seriously, they're so primitive it looks like somebody slapped paint on their fin and rubbed it on the wall). The story goes that at a young age, every sea turtle must dive deep beneath the ocean's surface to meet with an ancient oracle. It is with this ancient oracle that the young turtle is given its true name...only for the young turtle to shortly thereafter forget its name and come up with their own name, such as "Crush" or "Crush Jr."

image_mustsees_crushs-coaster.jpg

Shortly thereafter, we board a giant turtle sh
ell of our own which spins wildly as it chugs down the coaster track, fortunately spun at our own discretion. As it turns out, it is time for us to meet with this oracle and get a turtle name of our own. Journeying far out to sea, we come across Nemo and Squirt whom have set off in search of this ancient oracle as well, as Squirt desires a new name, being tired of getting picked on for it. Quickly losing their way, the two go missing, leaving Marlin, Dory, Crush, and ourselves to go off in search of them, ending in a climactic trip through the E.A.C. and a final drop that takes us in and out of the rocky show building in a matter of seconds, much to the pleasure of those watching the final drop from the Pixar Studios hub. At the conclusion of our journey, Squirt realizes the value of his own name and decides to keep it, but not before discovering the ancient oracle: a bearded crab with a distinctly Jamaican-sounding voice...hmm...this same crustacean gives us each our own turtle name as we return to the station. Hopefully we don't forget it...

*Fun Fact: The whole storyline involving the ancient oracle naming the turtle was actually explained to the audience during a performance of Turtle Talk with Crush on one of my most recent trips to California Adventure. This same Crush also stated that mermaids don't exist, but a crab-friend of his once took him into what he called a "mermaid's cave," stating that it was filled with "gadgets and gizmos aplenty."

A short walk from the edge of the reef (also known as the "Drop Off") brings us into an abandoned graveyard of fallen submarines and warships, the seemingly haunted abode of Bruce, Chum, and Anchor, a trio of sharks with a not-so-carnivorous appetite. Spiked-mines appear suspended in midair, almost like party balloons...but be careful, you wouldn't want one of these balloons to pop...Bruce's Steakhouse is the major point of interest in the area, held within the massive wreckage of an old war submarine. Underneath the proud slogan of "Fish Are Friends, Not Food," Bruce's Steakhouse is a fine-dining establishment composed of old machinery and abandoned weaponry of some forgotten naval battle, a bit of an oddity in a Disney park considering the rather grim subject of war. Despite the vegetarian diet of the sharks, all of the menu items almost all feature meat...although some dishes are in fact made with vegetarians specifically in mind, tofu fish being one of them...yuck. Inside the restaurant, a rather static Bruce figure allows diners to take a photo inside his wide-open jaws. Don't worry, he doesn't bite...I hope...

Back in the colorful hub of the reef, we find the first ever Finding Nemo-themed meet-n-greet where puppeteers portray Nemo, Dory, and Marlin alike, a la Finding Nemo the Musical. The meet-n-greet itself is found within the not-so-dangerous reeds of Marlin's anenome. Although a popular attraction at other Disney parks, Turtle Talk with Crush is not featured in the Great Barrier Reef, mostly because of two similar attractions found in Monstropolis and Arabian Marketplace.

large_NEMO3.jpg

Lastly, the final unexplored sector of the Great Barrier Reef brings us to the second and final E-Ticket in Pixar Place, the legendary Submarine Voyage, a Disneyland favorite since 1959, only this time it's not about finding Nemo. This time it's about finding out what happened to the legendary Tank Gang.

Entering a large research submarine that is still in operation (unlike Bruce's Steakhouse), we are informed by unseen humans from an Australian marine institute that we are new recruits set for a journey in search of the lost city of Atlantis. Research shows that a newly-erupted volcano thought to have long been extinct may have unintentionally blown a path leading to the fabled city which coincidentally is just a few miles shy of the Great Barrier Reef. Boarding mini-subs that seat up to six people at a time, we journey off under the sea to examine this volcano for ourselves and presumably discover what has been lost for centuries upon centuries. Utilizing flashlight-type mechanisms attached to the exterior of our sub, we are able to make out hidden details and mysteries scattered about the reef...

It isn't until a radio transmission from the mothership states that new hydrophone technology allows us to actually hear the fish speak. Soon after, the Tank Gang float into sight, still trapped in their plastic baggies (which is where we last saw them). Luckily, the fish escape through popping-means when Bubbles, the yellow fish obsessed with actual bubbles sees an eruption of bubbles off in the distance. The other fish give chase and soon enough, we're exploring the aforementioned underwater volcano. Does this volcano in fact pave the wave for the fabled lost city of Atlantis? You'll have to go under the sea yourself to find out...

The Submarine Voyage utilizes the same ride system as Tokyo DisneySea's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction; a suspended dark ride in a darkened show building made to appear as if it is underwater. The windows of each individual sub are filled with water and lined with bubble jets to create the feeling of submersion while the previously mentioned flashlight-contraptions allow a closer look at the various details and mysteries strewn along the set.

Leaving the Great Barrier Reef behind, we exit Pixar Place and head towards the northwestern corner of the park; an area that has quite a lot of discovering to do...

Pixar Place is done! Discovery Bay...you're next.

I'm not sure when I will begin posting Discovery Bay. Ideally, this project will be completed in its entirety by the time August rolls around, if not earlier. I've been going through a rough patch this week, haha, and it's only Monday. The next part will be here sooner than later.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I actually got really carried away having fun with Discovery Bay, so here it is, a bit earlier than expected.

Before we begin with Discovery Bay, I'd like to make a shift that will be permanently integrated in the project's final draft. Small World Plaza will henceforth be relocated to the northern point of Fantasyland, rather than the western. This will place Small World Plaza somewhere in between Christmas Town and Beastly Kingdom's fairytale section. Replacing the former home of Small World Plaza will be Storybook Circus, home to at least four or five additional attractions, including Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Mickey's Madcap Circus (a dark ride), Circus Disney (an animatronic show), and perhaps one or two more.

As Discovery Bay was a late addition to the game plan, many features from other lands may or may not change as well. Again, this will all be covered in the final draft. I do know for sure that the China Voyager found in Adventureland's Uncharted Lagoon will most likely be removed in favor of a Chinese restaurant found in Discovery Bay. Even more so, Uncharted Lagoon might be receiving a rename to differentiate itself from Discovery Bay, but we'll see. Again, it will all be covered in the final draft. :) Expect changes both big and small.

Discovery Bay is notably one of the park's smaller lands, only a few acres give or take larger than The Badlands. That being said, there are no true divisions or sub-areas to take note of. Despite this, the land continues to offer more than most small lands or Epcot pavilions would have to offer with a consistent abundance in details and adventure.

Heading northeast from the Partners Statue, we find ourselves walking directly past Snow White Castle and towards a rustic entryway that rivals that of Frontierland's on the adjacent side of the Hub. Rather than finding a castle, log-fortress, or Polynesian-inspired bamboo bridge, we find a truly odd sight: a collection of buildings typical of San Francisco from 1860 to 1880 (around the time of said city's heyday) jammed and broken into a collection of desert rockwork typical of the fanciful Bryce Canyon in Utah. Even stranger, clocks of varying sizes and styles appear amid the rocks, cracked and broken yet still working, some with their hands wildly spinning clockwise, others spinning counterclockwise. An overhead archway reads "Discovery Bay," signaling the next portion of our journey to begin. Crossing a bridge built from scrap metal and old ship pieces, we step back in time to a world that truly never existed.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-27%20at%2010.38.48%20PM-590x369.png

Upon entering, a massive lagoon (the literal bay of Discovery Bay) is the first thing that grabs our attention, gently flowing beneath the northernmost tracks of the Disneyland Australia Railroad and into Pixar Place to the north. We have just stepped into a seaside port of the California Gold Rush as it appeared just a few decades shy of two centuries ago, the bustling port town of San Francisco to be exact. Despite the historic recreation of "the Paris of the West," several key factors make Discovery Bay into a realm of pure fantasy; steampunk structures and architecture protrude among the historic; an intimidating volcano pierces the horizon; gold and bronze spires kiss the clouds; a true sense of adventure fills our hearts. This is the Gold Rush that never was. This is purely and wholly a realm of discovery.

Discovery Bay is a seamless combination of fantasy, history, magic, and science fiction, a lasting tribute and testament to the age of inventors, dreamers, and philosophers. Despite the evident setting of Gold Rush-era San Francisco, the overall "copper" feel of Discovery Bay hints at an unreal time when the past, future, and present coexist side-by-side, each unable to pinpoint which one is different from the other. This is a realm in which the likes of Jules Verne or H.G. Wells would like to call home.

Discovery Lighthouse is the first thing to greet us as we step towards the water's edge, a twisted, steampunk structure beckoning us towards the bay from all points of the city. Visibly docked near Discovery Lighthouse is an all-too-familiar sight, the parked Nautilus, the mighty submarine of Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. A quick step inside takes us below the surface and into the Mystery of the Nautilus a walkthrough of Nemo's stronghold that ends in an unfortunate encounter with the legendary giant squid. Plans found within the Nautilus reveal that Nemo is responsible for much of Discovery Bay's futuristic ideals and technology, seamlessly intertwining California's rich history with the fanciful works of Jules Verne. Returning to the surface world takes us to a miniature recreation of Chinatown where Chinese immigrants of the era have set up shop in a small wharf-like setting. The Fireworks Factory, the park's third themed-shooting gallery allows us to take potshots at pinwheels and firecrackers, setting off a multitude of pyrotechnic gags and mishaps. The Lucky Fortune Cookery takes us on a tour of an authentic fortune cookie factory, allowing free samples and oddly enough, a window offering a wide variety of different items that utilize fortune cookies in their ingredients. Lastly, the Confucius Tea House sits us in a Chinese restaurant with full table service, not to mention an animatronic performance by Confucius himself, as well as authentic Chinese acrobats, and a talking dragon whom parades around the dining room and enjoys "smoking" inside the restaurant through his nostrils.

Videopolis001.jpg

Moving west, the Victorian-era architecture of Gold Rush San Francisco begins to take shape, a perfect rival to the distinctly rugged Frontierland on the opposing side of the park. Hand-painted facades and miniscule details immerse us into the surroundings of a steampunk fan's dreams, starting with mechanical animals and statuettes composed of gears, cogs, and pipes appearing throughout the planters and walkways. Along the shoreline, steam-powered rowboats and miniature sternwheelers rest near docks that have long-since been smashed and sunken into the murky waters. Strangely, a mechanical shark fin can be seen floating by from time to time, as can a mechanical crocodile of the steampunk variety. Again, this park is all about the details, and Discovery Bay is certainly no exception. One of the docks (which isn't smashed) leads us to the loading area for Aquatopia, a retro-futuristic spin on the classic bumper boats. Occasionally, the steampunk sea creatures will popup from the waters and attempt to get in the way of the fun, but they always back down...literally. Like its source material, Aquatopia is controlled via wifi, meaning no underwater track is involved.

Continuing down the path, a massive zeppelin-like contraption sits within an opened-garage facing the lagoon, this airship being the majestic Hyperion. It seems only fitting that the Hyperion is home to not just Cafe Hyperion, a quick refreshment stop and coffee bar, but also one of Disneyland Australia's most popular attractions: Soarin' Over the Horizon which is housed within a large glass aviary filled with bizarre flight-based contraptions seeming to have been designed by Da Vinci himself. Of course, by the time Disneyland Australia has opened, Soarin' Over the Horizon will already be outdated, so, that being said, a new film with scenes both new and old will be installed, as will the theme of Leonardo Da Vinci given to the Tokyo DisneySea version of the attraction. In this version, Da Vinci's assistant sneaks us aboard the great inventor's flying machine, only to quickly discover that is far faster and more efficient than we might have thought. In a mere matter of seconds, passe
ngers are transported forward in time, soaring over the sweeping plains of Africa to the majestic spires of the Golden Gate Bridge, and so on so forth. Better yet, the whole of the attraction is presented in HD-4D, a Soarin' first. Even BETTER yet, the original Jerry Goldsmith score is used, although I have no doubts that the upcoming Soarin' Over the Horizon theme will be just as moving and breathtaking.

tdr-soarin.jpg

Not too far from the Hyperion's hangar is the first of four stops for the MagicWay PeopleMover, a nonstop transportation system in the spirit of the original WEDWay PeopleMover at Disneyland. Unlike the original PeopleMover, the MagicWay PeopleMover makes additional stops in not one but four lands on the western side of the park, the first being Discovery Bay, the second being Tomorrowland, the third being Mos Eisley Spaceport, and the fourth being Marvel City. As with the original PeopleMover, the MagicWay PeopleMover travels on a grand circle tour of its respective land(s) allowing sneak peeks and glimpses at the many attractions and adventures ahead, all from the safety of a glass-enclosed vehicles. Da Vinci's, a gift shop themed to and presumably belonging to the world's greatest thinkers sells the wares of said thinkers, including wacky inventions that would serve no real purpose in modern-day life other than being a gimmick. Also near the PeopleMover station rest the tracks of the Disneyland Australia Railroad as they head south. The railroad itself makes its third stop here at the Discovery Bay Junction, a rustic center of trade still utilized by miners sending their glimmering fortunes back home.

Heading northeast from Discovery Lighthouse takes us towards the northernmost reaches of the park, as well as the aforementioned volcano and entrance to Fantasyland (right near Halloween Town and Storybook Circus to be exact). A collection of shops and eateries line our path in Discovery Lane, a small marketplace of unique trinkets and baubles, as well as baked goods, Discovery Bay-unique dishes, and candy; lots and lots of candy. The window displays lining the Fisherman's Wharf-esque shops are rather odd and reminiscent of the long-lost vision of the future as presented by many a 19th century futurist. Many of the buildings themselves appear to be covered in Captain Nemo-designed inventions and machinery, all working in strenuous harmony for the good of the city.
Francisco Tonsorial Parlour is an old-fashioned barbershop featuring straight razor shaves, soothing skin massages, and haircuts of great precision, all to the musical stylings of an unseen barbershop quartet. K.A. Bhume's TNT & Joke Shop sits next door. K.A. Bhume, a wealthy entrepreneur and award-winning big game hunter (primitive photographs demonstrate his travels in Adventureland's Forgotten Kingdom) operates his shop with great pride, selling inventory of a wacky variety; false limbs, fake animal trophies, pop-guns, gag gifts, chattering teeth, ventriloquist dummies, etc.

Edison Square, a small extension pulling away from Discovery Lane briefly and seamlessly brings us back to turn-of-the-century New England and Chicago, a quick but strangely fitting departure from the Californian bustle of Discovery Bay. While Edison Square itself does not much in terms of the retro-futuristic Gold Rush theme. Equally strange is the lack of attractions in Edison Square...instead, a step inside the first of the buildings takes us back in time to the interior of Edison's Menlo Park laboratory. As we continue through the diorama-laden lab, we step forward in time to the next generation of inventors, then the next, and the next, until finally, we see how far Edison's work has traveled into the future and how it may have an affect on our future. By that point, we've navigated the near-entirety of the square. The final portion of Edison Square is the Buffalo Nickel Theater and Penny Arcade, an old-fashioned center of entertainment common in the early 20th century. Unlike Eliasburg Cinema, the Buffalo Nickel Theater is an old-fashioned theater appearing to have been designed by Thomas Edison himself. Multiple screens in the round showcase silent films of a bygone era, including The Great Train Robbery (1903), Frankenstein (1910), A Trip to the Moon (1902), The Lucky Dog (1921), Fantasmagorie (1908), and Plane Crazy (1928). The Penny Arcade on the other hand is a one-of-a-kind arcade in the spirit of Main Street, U.S.A. utilizing vintage machines and nickelodeons that require just a penny to play.

Edison Square finds itself back-to-back with another area of discovery: The Gardens of Mystery. The Gardens of Mystery are truly a mystery in terms of what it stands for. In this peaceful courtyard filled with bizarrely-shaped fountains and topiaries, statues and mosaics dedicated to the world's greatest unsolved mysteries (don't worry, nothing too sinister) are found, as are tributes to the eight wonders of the world, both natural and manmade. The Gardens of Mystery also hold the distinction of being interchangeable with a seasonal Halloween walkthrough: 1492. 1492 takes us back in time to the year when Columbus first set foot in the New World. However, in a not-so-chirpy fashion, Columbus and his crew appear to have been cursed through mysterious means, turning into undead sailors bent on collecting more members for their crew to join them for an eternity. Can we escape? Of course we can, it's just a Halloween maze.

Rare%20DL%20Discovery%20Bay%20dino-590x401.jpg

Just near the border of Storybook Circus and Discovery Bay sits a dense forest of Northern California inspiration, a la Yosemite National Park or the Redwoods. The waters of the bay drift past our path, quietly seeping into the heart of the unknown. At first glance, the forest appears harmless, but a quick listen proves otherwise...some unnatural beast has unleashed an unheard of, almost primeval shriek. This forest is none other than the home of Voyage to the Lost World, a trip into a forested realm inhabited by, you guessed it: dinosaurs. Unlike the Jungle River Cruise in Adventureland, we are not given the luxury of a well-hearsed skipper to protect us from the dangers of the jungle. Instead, we are practically on our own as we venture through this fantastic world untouched by mankind where the fearsome Tyrannosaurus Rex and majestic Brachiosaurus all live in relative peace among their fellow dinosaurians. It isn't until we show up that things go awry, much to our dismay. Much of the attraction is inspired by Fantasia's infamous "Rite of Spring" segment as well as Ford's Magic Skyway of the 1964-1965 World's Fair, while the storyline and concept are loosely inspired by the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. You can bet that a climactic drop involving never-ending combat between a certain T-Rex and Stegosaurus is in order. As an added treat, the trains of the Disneyland Australia Railroad may or may not run into a dinosaur or two while chugging by.

prehistoric_boatride_web.jpg

Moving north from the Lost World, the railroad tracks are in plain sight, this time as a long trestle running over the waters of the lagoon. On the not-so-distant horizon we see parts of Pixar Place and the Great Barrier Reef. Despite their visible status, the real focal point here is none other than Mount Prometheus, the biggest, tallest, hottest volcano in this fictional representation of Northern California. Steam vents and volcanic rocks litter the surrounding shores, hinting at volcanic activity not-so-deep beneath the earth. Pines and redwoods that have since been burnt to a crisp still stand among the muddy walkways, complementing the primeval volcano that occasionally erupts in a flurry of pyrotechnics and smoke.
Mount Prometheus stands as the final "mountain" found in Disneyland Australia, following Mount Olympus and Spiral Hill in Fantasyland, Cadillac Range in Radiator Springs, Dead Man's Peak in Adventureland, and Glacier Peak and Geyser Mountain in Frontierland. Taking inspiration and the same name as Tokyo DisneySea's icon, Mount Prometheus is the home of Discovery Bay's star attraction: Journey to the Center of the Earth.

mount-prometheus.jpg

As Geyser Mountain in Frontierland also features a volcanic activity-induced thrill ride utilizing a drill-like contraption, we instead board a steampunk-inspired piece of shovel-based machinery built by Captain Nemo, instructed by the mysterious recluse that we will be among the first to journey deep into the earth's core in order to witness and harness the power of the earth's core. Unlike Geyser Mountain, we calmly dig deeper and deeper into the earth through Mount Prometheus, wheeling through crystal caves, past strange alien-like creatures, beside underground waterfalls and thunderstorms, underneath giant mushrooms, and nearly everything fantastical one can imagine would reside beneath the surface. Unfortunately, the fantastic journey ends when we unintentionally enter the nest of a hideous lava monster who initiates the eruption of a supervolcano that sends us whisking up and down the side of Mount Prometheus in a thrilling finale rivaling that of all other thrill rides in the park.

Tokyo-Disney-Resort-0080-L.jpg

Of course, no major E-Ticket would be complete without a few complimentary shops and eateries nearby. Not all of Discovery Bay features the likeliness of inventors and gold miners. In fact, the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge, located under the shadow of Mount Prometheus, stands for another great factor of the 19th century: adventure. Trophy heads and woodcrafted animals decorate the lavish grill and bar, all the while a series of large windows provide majestic views of the prehistoric volcano. Another great explorer finds representation in the form of James Cook's, the man responsible for making contact with Hawai'i, Australia, New Zealand, and many other islands across the Atlantic and Pacific. James Cook's, held within a combination of an old British galleon and retro-futuristic escape pod, sells science fiction and vintage explorer-related merchandise, as well as items unique to the Discovery Bay area.

Located closer to the shoreline is Astronomer's Point, an actual observatory pointed towards the heavens. Aside from an immersive planetarium utilizing the latest in modern technology, streetmosphere performers dressed in the likeliness of Galileo and
Da Vinci often tell tales of the heavens from within the old observatory, often utilizing a rather antique telescope with the telling of their tales. A more high-tech telescope offers us glimpses of the heavens themselves, a truly magical experience. Astronomer's Point is neighbored by a true classic that rounds off and completes Discovery Bay.

audio-animatronics-disneyland-magic-kingdom-walt-disney-world-feat-18.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdNgHvna48Q

The late-great Robin Williams posthumously provides his voice to the title character of The Timekeeper, the finest in CircleVision 360 entertainment that has long been forgotten in the Disney theme park universe. Today, Timekeeper is back and better than ever in Disneyland Australia featuring a new HD film (while the scenes remain the same to accommodate the Robin Williams dialogue; they're all new and reshot; even the Jules Verne actor is different) with new in-theater effects and magic. Entering the theater sends us far forward into the future where robots in the likeliness of Timekeeper and 9-Eyes are able to exist, the dream of many a classic futurist come true. What ensues next is a 360 degree trip through time and space, all the while accompanied by an unintentionally "kidnapped" Jules Verne who experiences many ideas in which he wrote about coming into fruition.

The adventures of Discovery Bay don't stop with Discovery Bay...with the exception of Hollywoodland to the far south, nearly the entirety of the park's western half represents the realm of science fact and science fiction, one MASSIVE Tomorrowland if you will. There is so much magic to be found here that just doing one big Tomorrowland with several sub-areas wouldn't do it justice in the slightest. Returning to the Hub, we face the next portion of our day at Disneyland:
Tomorrowland.

I had so much fun with Discovery Bay, I'm almost certain that Tomorrowland will come up just as quickly. I can't say the same for Mos Eisley Spaceport and Marvel City. Those might take a little more time.

DisneyManOne

Even BETTER yet, the original Jerry Goldsmith score is used, although I have no doubts that the upcoming Soarin' Over the Horizon theme will be just as moving and breathtaking.

Actually, I believe that the original and new scores won't be all that different, because composer Bruce Broughton stated that the new score will be adapted from Jerry Goldsmith's original score, so the themes from Goldsmith's score will be featured. Here's a sample from Shanghai's Soarin' (the first to use this new score) to prove my point.

https://twitter.com/DiscoveryArcade/status/728959835509755904

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Actually, I believe that the original and new scores won't be all that different, because composer Bruce Broughton stated that the new score will be adapted from Jerry Goldsmith's original score, so the themes from Goldsmith's score will be featured. Here's a sample from Shanghai's Soarin' (the first to use this new score) to prove my point.

https://twitter.com/DiscoveryArcade/status/728959835509755904

Well dang! Haha forget I said anything about the soundtrack. I'll be sure to fix that in the final draft.

I don't think I'd want to utilize Universal's attractions, even if I am utilizing a Knott's Berry Farm attraction. I feel like they should remain unique to Universal, even if there is currently no Universal park in Australia.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
The final draft is going to be truly epic. Not everything is going to make the cut, but, I can assure you that it will all be worth it in the end. Gotta love blood, sweat, and tears! Now you might be wondering...if we're still waiting on a final draft, why are we still reading these massive posts? Well, these are the rough drafts. Much of their content will carry over to the final product, but not all of it will. If anything, this will keep you held over while I perfect my biggest and best project to date, not to mention help me as I finalize everything.

Ideally, I'd love to get a map done, but I'm not sure how feasible that will be. That might take awhile.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Another update....you guys have me convinced...Figment and Dreamfinder will be leaving Pixar Place and moving back to Tomorrowland. I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking in the first place...for the time being, they will remain in the Pixar Place overview, but by the time I post the final draft, they will no longer be apart of it. So for now, please forget that that ever happened and remember that they are now in Tomorrowland. Thanks for the feedback. If you're just joining us and looking back at old pages, completely disregard the Journey into Imagination presence in Riley's Head.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT UPDATE: Some additional ideas have popped into my head during the process of creating the final draft, including a Rescuers Down Under dark ride in The Badlands and the world's second Alice in Wonderland dark ride for Wonderland. Any thoughts or objections on these?

"A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man's achievements...a step into the future, with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals: the Atomic Age, the challenge of outer space, and the hope for a peaceful and unified world." - Walt Disney

Facing west from the Partners Statue, we face the magnificent entryway of Tomorrowland, which represents not only the final frontier but also the final classic land to be included in Disneyland Australia. Unlike the neighboring Discovery Bay and Mos Eisley Spaceport on either side, Tomorrowland is firmly rooted in science fact rather than science fiction, although a little touch of fantasy here and there doesn't hurt. Crossing the extended waters of Fantasy Lagoon, we come face to face with the previously mentioned magnificent entryway; large pylons point towards the heavens on either side of the bridge, thundering waterfalls pouring down their smooth facades and churning into the waters of Fantasy Lagoon below. As night falls, the coloring of the falls changes in time with the triumphant orchestrations playing throughout the futuristic realm whilst multicolored fountains spew from the waters below, a mini-water show of sorts. From the center of the land, what appears to be some kind of kinetic rocketship-type contraption stands high above the rest of the land, beckoning us forward as the land's "weenie." Intrigued, we enter.

originalwdwtmo.jpg

Unlike the retro-futuristic realm of Discovery Bay to the north, Tomorrowland takes on the form of sleek, white, geometric shapes and architecture with vibrant splashes of color throughout, an optimistic glimpse into the potential future of mankind. Perhaps the best term to describe this take on Walt's classic concept of a unified tomorrow is that of a "utopian society." In fact, many of the buildings appear to be surrounded by additional streams, miniature waterfalls, grassy-clifftops, tall pines, and a true understanding and cooperation with nature, a concept that has yet to be grasped by much of mankind. As it is, it appears as if the land is run by a farming community of some sort, as many of the details in the area imply that the methods of survival in this society are a cross between futuristic and medieval ideals, a seamless blend of past and present.

Picture-41-450x186.png

Disneyland Australia's Tomorrowland takes heavy inspiration from Epcot's original concept of Future World, a timeless, character-free realm of pure magic and wonder dedicated to seeking a better tomorrow through education and entertainment. Much of Tomorrowland consists of mega-dark rides and centers of truly unique knowledge, a staple of the original Future World. Naturally, elements of Tomorrowland 1967 and 1971 make their way here as well, creating one epic world of tomorrow. Tomorrowlands around the world have always had the issue of hosting an identity crisis...when designing DLA's Tomorrowland, that was the first issue that came to mind. I can only hope that DLA's Tomorrowland focuses on Walt's original intention and finds itself with the help of some Epcot-based inspiration.

Upon entering, we find two large structures on either side, the tracks of the MagicWay PeopleMover running along their second-stories, traversing in and out of either building and continuing onto overhead highways throughout the remainder of the land. To our left we find the home of New Horizons, to our right we find the home of Adventure Thru Inner Space, two mega-dark rides in their own right.

a14f8cc14cad4e83d3d8b91c695bcbe8.jpg

New Horizons takes us into a world that we have yet to see...the potential, untapped future of our beloved planet where luscious orchestrations and immersive dioramas filled with animatronics and stunning special effects give us a glimpse at our potential future, such as an underwater city, robotic butlers and maids, future transportation systems, and much, much more. In this reborn spin on Epcot's classic Horizons, we are treated to an even bigger and better adventure into the future with an ongoing message of coexisting with our fellow humans in a peaceful and unified world. Better yet, we are also given the opportunity to glance at our own future through a series of exhibits and displays found in and around the exit gift shop: Horizons Gifts, a futuristic department store (that quite literally uses means that may be common in future department stores; i.e. robot cashiers) selling the wares and goods of a civilized tomorrow. Not but a few feet from Horizons Gifts is the Tomorrowland Terrace an outdoor eating area with a stage for live performances. As with many a Tomorrowland Terrace, burgers, fries, and pizza are what's for dinner, although unlike other in-park restaurants, the terrace showcases what a fast food restaurant of tomorrow might run like with plenty of conveyor belts, automated cash registers, and interchanging menu screens, many of the innovations displayed behind windows. The live entertainment varies from local high schools to up and coming bands wishing to get their start, a symbol of hope for a successful tomorrow in their budding careers.

Adventure_Thru_Inner_Space_Poster.png

Adjacent to New Horizons, Adventure Thru Inner Space takes us on an eerie, almost unrealistic journey into the microscopic interior of a single snowflake alongside our brave narrator, a scientist who has unintentionally become trapped within its icy confines. From the relative safety of our "atomobile," we witness the stunning power and functions of nature in a mysterious world that has been thus far invisible to the naked eye. In this modern recreation of the 1967 classic, the previously-dated adventure turns into an immersive extravaganza beyond any sci-fi-enthusiasts wildest dreams. Just like the original, no animatronics or memorable songs are played, it's all based on atmosphere. Rather than having an exit through a gift shop, Inner Space has us exit through the equally immersive Innovation Hall, a full-functioning showcase of modern technology that might benefit our tomorrow. Such innovations on display include the House of the Future, the biggest and most expansive exhibit to be featured. In this futuristic homestead we are treated to what might actually compose the model home of tomorrow, from model kitchens with self-cleaning appliances to television screens that appear larger than life...or at least the average male adult.

Having walked through the main entrance of Tomorrowland, we come upon the aforementioned "rocketship" perched high above the surrounding area. This is the Orbitron, an odd, Rube Goldberg machine-like map of the stars and planets circumnavigated by guests wearing jetpacks. But these aren't the "jetpacks" of the Shanghai Disneyland attraction, nor the jetpacks that require simple energy to takeoff. This attraction is what one might get when crossing Dumbo the Flying Elephant with a Kuka Robot Arm; a classic spinner where riders are attached to the mechanical arms via shoulder and back restraints, quickly sent on a rolicking airborne trip through the skies of Tomorrowland from atop an elevated platform. The MagicWay PeopleMover has its Tomorrowland Station in the same property as the Orbitron, a la the original WEDWay PeopleMover and Rocket Jets.

The three magnificent kinetic cubes (literally, giant cube-shaped buildings) of ImageWorks stand on the horizon, the natural home of another revitalized classic: Journey Into Imagination. With one little spark of inspiration, Journey Into Imagination takes us on a fantastical journey through the realm of imagination. With the clever narration and magic of Dreamfinder and Figment, we embark on a song-filled trip through the various areas of imagination and creativity, another revitalized classic for the modern audience. ImageWorks is an indoor arcade and playground of sorts where countless elements allow us to test our minds and skills through the most creative means possible. Despite the general lack of familiar cartoon characters in Tomorrowland, Dreamfinder and Figment both make appearances in and around the ImageWorks cubes, Figment of course being an arm-operated puppet, not a walk-around character. The Imagination Institute gift shop takes us into a world of pure imagination, a la Willy Wonka without the candy. Here we are able to do a number of things considerably odd in any other gift shop. We can design our own toys, purchase erector sets, customize phone cases, and even draw our favorite characters for free (although the customizable frame is a separate cross). References and nods to the extraordinary imagination of Walt Disney's Imagineers are abundant throughout the institute, including references to the Mighty Microscope, Spaceship Earth, Audio Animatronic, and even hand-drawn animation, all creations of Walt Disney and his fearless artists. The
Tomorrowlanding, a frozen yogurt stand built into the side of a satellite-topped structure sits just a few doors down from ImageWorks, often sounding off a number of sirens, gears, and cogs as the satellite begins to wildly spin around in circles.

While The Badlands have "Australia," a Spaceship Earth-esque dark ride showcasing the rich history of the continent, Tomorrowland has World on the Move, another great dark ride in the spirit of Epcot's Future World. As if New Horizons and Journey Into Imagination weren't already enough, World on the Move takes us on a trip through time and space, a showcase of man and their achievements in terms of technology and transportation, a ride-based spin on the classic Carousel of Progress, right down to featuring the same theme song of "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow." Starting with the Stone Age, we follow the progress of the Smith Family, the world's first "modern family." We then follow the Smiths throughout history, making our way to ancient Egypt, medieval England, the Renaissance, and so on so forth paying witness to the stunning achievements of mankind throughout history and beyond, all the while watching in humored awe as the Smiths encounter the same advancements and changes. It's only fair that the Smiths change based on the time period and setting...for instance, in the Stone Age they appear to be cavemen, but in the Roaring 20's they wear the garbs of 1920's-era big city citizens. Also, the Smith Family may or may not be named after yours truly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlfppkH949s

Not all of Tomorrowland is rooted in absolute science fact. The overhead highways of the PeopleMover whisk by as we approach the entrance of the sci-fi-rooted Cyberspace Pyramid, gateway to...gulp...the Internet, a forbidden location that no Space Mountain has dared to take us before. Shrunk down to the size of a...well, whatever size and matter one must be made of to enter the Internet, we hop inside a coaster train labeled as "software" meant to extinguish a potentially-dangerous virus bent on destroying the world's computers. What ensues next is a wild roller coaster ride through the deepest banks of the Worldwide Web, all the while evading and fighting back against the deadly virus. In a drastic departure from the park's other roller coasters, Cyberspace Pyramid features in-the-dark corkscrews, loops, and intense drops, as well as some surprise encounters with the rather alien-like virus, an attraction truly meant for those of an older age. An equally, if not more intense experience by the near-notorious title of Mission Space makes its home next door to Cyberspace Pyramid, a revitalized lift of the current Epcot thrill ride.

MissionSpace2b.jpg

Boarding a rocket destined for Mars, we experience what one might actually experience when launching through the earth's atmosphere and maneuvering through the boundless acres of outer space, involving a meteor shower and a crash-landing on the icy surface of Mars. As the original Mission Space is notorious for causing health problems among riders, many of the existing issues are solved in the DLA version, including a from-the-start offering of a "panic button" and less-intense alternative ride. The Star Traders located at the attraction's exit allows us to browse the wares similar to what one would find in a NASA-operated gift shop, including yucky astronaut food and miniature rockets and build-your-own model kits. A fountain dedicated to man's never-ending dream to reach for the stars (literally) appears a short distance from Mission Space, represented through astronaut statues suspended in the air by water-spewing jetpacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1qGtMbIDs

Near the border of Tomorrowland and Discovery Bay is a Tomorrowland staple: Autopia, Aquatopia's land-based rival. Since freeways and racetracks are clearly a factor of everyday life all around the world, DLA's Autopia takes a turn for the drastic. Rather than driving typical automobiles of the modern world, we hop into miniature "hovercars," another Disney first. To create the sensation of hovering, each Buck Rogers-inspired vehicle is suspended above the ground via a set of tracks on either side of the vehicle. This means that each car is given its own "canal" of tracks, preventing the vehicles from ramming into the sides of one another, but not necessarily the cars in front. Additionally, the cars are powered by electricity rather than gasoline, another concept that may have a domination on the future of the automobile industry. Stylistic highways and futuristic landscapes grace the show area of Autopia, taking us past electronic billboards, thundering waterfalls, country chateaus (that appear to float in midair), and the not-so-distant skyline of Sydney in the distant future.

As night falls, Tomorrowland is washed aglow in cool shades of neon, a relative cool down from the normally vibrant colors of the day. Triumphant orchestrations from classic films reminiscent of the space age fill the air both day and night, inspiring us to dream bigger and go further with our ideas and our adventurous spirit. The spirit of wild ideas and adventure is further represented in the land just south of Tomorrowland...
Mos Eisley Spaceport.

mos_eisley.jpg

Mos Eisley Spaceport is next! Obviously. Haha.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

The final draft is going to be truly epic. Not everything is going to make the cut, but, I can assure you that it will all be worth it in the end. Gotta love blood, sweat, and tears! Now you might be wondering...if we're still waiting on a final draft, why are we still reading these massive posts? Well, these are the rough drafts. Much of their content will carry over to the final product, but not all of it will. If anything, this will keep you held over while I perfect my biggest and best project to date, not to mention help me as I finalize everything.

Ideally, I'd love to get a map done, but I'm not sure how feasible that will be. That might take awhile.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Another update....you guys have me convinced...Figment and Dreamfinder will be leaving Pixar Place and moving back to Tomorrowland. I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking in the first place...for the time being, they will remain in the Pixar Place overview, but by the time I post the final draft, they will no longer be apart of it. So for now, please forget that that ever happened and remember that they are now in Tomorrowland. Thanks for the feedback. If you're just joining us and looking back at old pages, completely disregard the Journey into Imagination presence in Riley's Head.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT UPDATE: Some additional ideas have popped into my head during the process of creating the final draft, including a Rescuers Down Under dark ride in The Badlands and the world's second Alice in Wonderland dark ride for Wonderland. Any thoughts or objections on these?

"A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man's achievements...a step into the future, with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals: the Atomic Age, the challenge of outer space, and the hope for a peaceful and unified world." - Walt Disney

Facing west from the Partners Statue, we face the magnificent entryway of Tomorrowland, which represents not only the final frontier but also the final classic land to be included in Disneyland Australia. Unlike the neighboring Discovery Bay and Mos Eisley Spaceport on either side, Tomorrowland is firmly rooted in science fact rather than science fiction, although a little touch of fantasy here and there doesn't hurt. Crossing the extended waters of Fantasy Lagoon, we come face to face with the previously mentioned magnificent entryway; large pylons point towards the heavens on either side of the bridge, thundering waterfalls pouring down their smooth facades and churning into the waters of Fantasy Lagoon below. As night falls, the coloring of the falls changes in time with the triumphant orchestrations playing throughout the futuristic realm whilst multicolored fountains spew from the waters below, a mini-water show of sorts. From the center of the land, what appears to be some kind of kinetic rocketship-type contraption stands high above the rest of the land, beckoning us forward as the land's "weenie." Intrigued, we enter.

originalwdwtmo.jpg

Unlike the retro-futuristic realm of Discovery Bay to the north, Tomorrowland takes on the form of sleek, white, geometric shapes and architecture with vibrant splashes of color throughout, an optimistic glimpse into the potential future of mankind. Perhaps the best term to describe this take on Walt's classic concept of a unified tomorrow is that of a "utopian society." In fact, many of the buildings appear to be surrounded by additional streams, miniature waterfalls, grassy-clifftops, tall pines, and a true understanding and cooperation with nature, a concept that has yet to be grasped by much of mankind. As it is, it appears as if the land is run by a farming community of some sort, as many of the details in the area imply that the methods of survival in this society are a cross between futuristic and medieval ideals, a seamless blend of past and present.

Picture-41-450x186.png

Disneyland Australia's Tomorrowland takes heavy inspiration from Epcot's original concept of Future World, a timeless, character-free realm of pure magic and wonder dedicated to seeking a better tomorrow through education and entertainment. Much of Tomorrowland consists of mega-dark rides and centers of truly unique knowledge, a staple of the original Future World. Naturally, elements of Tomorrowland 1967 and 1971 make their way here as well, creating one epic world of tomorrow. Tomorrowlands around the world have always had the issue of hosting an identity crisis...when designing DLA's Tomorrowland, that was the first issue that came to mind. I can only hope that DLA's Tomorrowland focuses on Walt's original intention and finds itself with the help of some Epcot-based inspiration.

Upon entering, we find two large structures on either side, the tracks of the MagicWay PeopleMover running along their second-stories, traversing in and out of either building and continuing onto overhead highways throughout the remainder of the land. To our left we find the home of New Horizons, to our right we find the home of Adventure Thru Inner Space, two mega-dark rides in their own right.

a14f8cc14cad4e83d3d8b91c695bcbe8.jpg

New Horizons takes us into a world that we have yet to see...the potential, untapped future of our beloved planet where luscious orchestrations and immersive dioramas filled with animatronics and stunning special effects give us a glimpse at our potential future, such as an underwater city, robotic butlers and maids, future transportation systems, and much, much more. In this reborn spin on Epcot's classic Horizons, we are treated to an even bigger and better adventure into the future with an ongoing message of coexisting with our fellow humans in a peaceful and unified world. Better yet, we are also given the opportunity to glance at our own future through a series of exhibits and displays found in and around the exit gift shop: Horizons Gifts, a futuristic department store (that quite literally uses means that may be common in future department stores; i.e. robot cashiers) selling the wares and goods of a civilized tomorrow. Not but a few feet from Horizons Gifts is the Tomorrowland Terrace an outdoor eating area with a stage for live performances. As with many a Tomorrowland Terrace, burgers, fries, and pizza are what's for dinner, although unlike other in-park restaurants, the terrace showcases what a fast food restaurant of tomorrow might run like with plenty of conveyor belts, automated cash registers, and interchanging menu screens, many of the innovations displayed behind windows. The live entertainment varies from local high schools to up and coming bands wishing to get their start, a symbol of hope for a successful tomorrow in their budding careers.

Adventure_Thru_Inner_Space_Poster.png

Adjacent to New Horizons, Adventure Thru Inner Space takes us on an eerie, almost unrealistic journey into the microscopic interior of a single snowflake alongside our brave narrator, a scientist who has unintentionally become trapped within its icy confines. From the relative safety of our "atomobile," we witness the stunning power and functions of nature in a mysterious world that has been thus far invisible to the naked eye. In this modern recreation of the 1967 classic, the previously-dated adventure turns into an immersive extravaganza beyond any sci-fi-enthusiasts wildest dreams. Just like the original, no animatronics or memorable songs are played, it's all based on atmosphere. Rather than having an exit through a gift shop, Inner Space has us exit through the equally immersive Innovation Hall, a full-functioning showcase of modern technology that might benefit our tomorrow. Such innovations on display include the House of the Future, the biggest and most expansive exhibit to be featured. In this futuristic homestead we are treated to what might actually compose the model home of tomorrow, from model kitchens with self-cleaning appliances to television screens that appear larger than life...or at least the average male adult.

Having walked through the main entrance of Tomorrowland, we come upon the aforementioned "rocketship" perched high above the surrounding area. This is the Orbitron, an odd, Rube Goldberg machine-like map of the stars and planets circumnavigated by guests wearing jetpacks. But these aren't the "jetpacks" of the Shanghai Disneyland attraction, nor the jetpacks that require simple energy to takeoff. This attraction is what one might get when crossing Dumbo the Flying Elephant with a Kuka Robot Arm; a classic spinner where riders are attached to the mechanical arms via shoulder and back restraints, quickly sent on a rolicking airborne trip through the skies of Tomorrowland from atop an elevated platform. The MagicWay PeopleMover has its Tomorrowland Station in the same property as the Orbitron, a la the original WEDWay PeopleMover and Rocket Jets.

The three magnificent kinetic cubes (literally, giant cube-shaped buildings) of ImageWorks stand on the horizon, the natural home of another revitalized classic: Journey Into Imagination. With one little spark of inspiration, Journey Into Imagination takes us on a fantastical journey through the realm of imagination. With the clever narration and magic of Dreamfinder and Figment, we embark on a song-filled trip through the various areas of imagination and creativity, another revitalized classic for the modern audience. ImageWorks is an indoor arcade and playground of sorts where countless elements allow us to test our minds and skills through the most creative means possible. Despite the general lack of familiar cartoon characters in Tomorrowland, Dreamfinder and Figment both make appearances in and around the ImageWorks cubes, Figment of course being an arm-operated puppet, not a walk-around character. The Imagination Institute gift shop takes us into a world of pure imagination, a la Willy Wonka without the candy. Here we are able to do a number of things considerably odd in any other gift shop. We can design our own toys, purchase erector sets, customize phone cases, and even draw our favorite characters for free (although the customizable frame is a separate cross). References and nods to the extraordinary imagination of Walt Disney's Imagineers are abundant throughout the institute, including references to the Mighty Microscope, Spaceship Earth, Audio Animatronic, and even hand-drawn animation, all creations of Walt Disney and his fearless artists. The
Tomorrowlanding, a frozen yogurt stand built into the side of a satellite-topped structure sits just a few doors down from ImageWorks, often sounding off a number of sirens, gears, and cogs as the satellite begins to wildly spin around in circles.

While The Badlands have "Australia," a Spaceship Earth-esque dark ride showcasing the rich history of the continent, Tomorrowland has World on the Move, another great dark ride in the spirit of Epcot's Future World. As if New Horizons and Journey Into Imagination weren't already enough, World on the Move takes us on a trip through time and space, a showcase of man and their achievements in terms of technology and transportation, a ride-based spin on the classic Carousel of Progress, right down to featuring the same theme song of "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow." Starting with the Stone Age, we follow the progress of the Smith Family, the world's first "modern family." We then follow the Smiths throughout history, making our way to ancient Egypt, medieval England, the Renaissance, and so on so forth paying witness to the stunning achievements of mankind throughout history and beyond, all the while watching in humored awe as the Smiths encounter the same advancements and changes. It's only fair that the Smiths change based on the time period and setting...for instance, in the Stone Age they appear to be cavemen, but in the Roaring 20's they wear the garbs of 1920's-era big city citizens. Also, the Smith Family may or may not be named after yours truly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlfppkH949s

Not all of Tomorrowland is rooted in absolute science fact. The overhead highways of the PeopleMover whisk by as we approach the entrance of the sci-fi-rooted Cyberspace Pyramid, gateway to...gulp...the Internet, a forbidden location that no Space Mountain has dared to take us before. Shrunk down to the size of a...well, whatever size and matter one must be made of to enter the Internet, we hop inside a coaster train labeled as "software" meant to extinguish a potentially-dangerous virus bent on destroying the world's computers. What ensues next is a wild roller coaster ride through the deepest banks of the Worldwide Web, all the while evading and fighting back against the deadly virus. In a drastic departure from the park's other roller coasters, Cyberspace Pyramid features in-the-dark corkscrews, loops, and intense drops, as well as some surprise encounters with the rather alien-like virus, an attraction truly meant for those of an older age. An equally, if not more intense experience by the near-notorious title of Mission Space makes its home next door to Cyberspace Pyramid, a revitalized lift of the current Epcot thrill ride.

MissionSpace2b.jpg

Boarding a rocket destined for Mars, we experience what one might actually experience when launching through the earth's atmosphere and maneuvering through the boundless acres of outer space, involving a meteor shower and a crash-landing on the icy surface of Mars. As the original Mission Space is notorious for causing health problems among riders, many of the existing issues are solved in the DLA version, including a from-the-start offering of a "panic button" and less-intense alternative ride. The Star Traders located at the attraction's exit allows us to browse the wares similar to what one would find in a NASA-operated gift shop, including yucky astronaut food and miniature rockets and build-your-own model kits. A fountain dedicated to man's never-ending dream to reach for the stars (literally) appears a short distance from Mission Space, represented through astronaut statues suspended in the air by water-spewing jetpacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1qGtMbIDs

Near the border of Tomorrowland and Discovery Bay is a Tomorrowland staple: Autopia, Aquatopia's land-based rival. Since freeways and racetracks are clearly a factor of everyday life all around the world, DLA's Autopia takes a turn for the drastic. Rather than driving typical automobiles of the modern world, we hop into miniature "hovercars," another Disney first. To create the sensation of hovering, each Buck Rogers-inspired vehicle is suspended above the ground via a set of tracks on either side of the vehicle. This means that each car is given its own "canal" of tracks, preventing the vehicles from ramming into the sides of one another, but not necessarily the cars in front. Additionally, the cars are powered by electricity rather than gasoline, another concept that may have a domination on the future of the automobile industry. Stylistic highways and futuristic landscapes grace the show area of Autopia, taking us past electronic billboards, thundering waterfalls, country chateaus (that appear to float in midair), and the not-so-distant skyline of Sydney in the distant future.

As night falls, Tomorrowland is washed aglow in cool shades of neon, a relative cool down from the normally vibrant colors of the day. Triumphant orchestrations from classic films reminiscent of the space age fill the air both day and night, inspiring us to dream bigger and go further with our ideas and our adventurous spirit. The spirit of wild ideas and adventure is further represented in the land just south of Tomorrowland...
Mos Eisley Spaceport.

mos_eisley.jpg

Mos Eisley Spaceport is next! Obviously. Haha.

This is spectacular, but something appears somewhat missing. Where is Space Mountain or another roller coaster of some kind in your version of Tomorrowland?

EDiT: Read the computer virus part of the post. Never mind! :p

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
This is spectacular, but something appears somewhat missing. Where is Space Mountain or another roller coaster of some kind in your version of Tomorrowland?

The Cyberspace Pyramid is the park's version of Space Mountain. Originally I was going to call it Cyberspace Mountain, but I felt as if a pyramid would do it better justice.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Before we dive into Mos Eisley in my next major post, I've realized that there are only three lands left until I compile and edit everything into one massive final draft (due for a premiere in June I'd say)! That being said, I'd like to take a moment to ask a few questions to all you loyal followers out there, so please feel free to express what you'd like to say.

A) Is there anything that didn't make it into the park the first time around that you'd like to see added or referred to in the final draft? Say for instance that you really like the Battle for the Sunken Treasure attraction in Shanghai Disneyland and would like to see that instead of the Pirates of the Caribbean I had initially described. Stuff like that is what I'm looking for in your requests and suggestions. Not all requests or suggestions will make it in, but I'll try my best, or at least try to respect popular demand through other means.

B) Is there anything that you think I could improve upon in the final draft that will make the overall experience more enjoyable? Remember, this is going to be the biggest post I have personally ever made in my eight year history with armchair Imagineering, so I want it to be as painless of a process as possible.

C) Thanks for sticking around thus far! It's been a long journey, but totally worth it.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Before we dive into Mos Eisley in my next major post, I've realized that there are only three lands left until I compile and edit everything into one massive final draft (due for a premiere in June I'd say)! That being said, I'd like to take a moment to ask a few questions to all you loyal followers out there, so please feel free to express what you'd like to say.

A) Is there anything that didn't make it into the park the first time around that you'd like to see added or referred to in the final draft? Say for instance that you really like the Battle for the Sunken Treasure attraction in Shanghai Disneyland and would like to see that instead of the Pirates of the Caribbean I had initially described. Stuff like that is what I'm looking for in your requests and suggestions. Not all requests or suggestions will make it in, but I'll try my best, or at least try to respect popular demand through other means.

B) Is there anything that you think I could improve upon in the final draft that will make the overall experience more enjoyable? Remember, this is going to be the biggest post I have personally ever made in my eight year history with armchair Imagineering, so I want it to be as painless of a process as possible.

C) Thanks for sticking around thus far! It's been a long journey, but totally worth it.

Will you incorporate the hotel and shopping district in your final draft? I'm not sure if you mentioned these things, but I think it'll make the resort feel more complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom