Metal detectors fall all?

invader

Then security needs to be increased. Why not send our bags through an X-ray machine like at Disneyland Paris?
Because this is Disney World, not an airport. The metal detectors are a deterrent, not an end all be all to security.

lazyboy97o

Then security needs to be increased. Why not send our bags through an X-ray machine like at Disneyland Paris?
It is TSA screening with the 5% - 10% success rate. That means x-rays and body scans aren't even working. There is no level to which you can increase security. The type of attacks this sort of security is in response to keeps shifting methodology to avoid such security.

Yert3

It is TSA screening with the 5% - 10% success rate. That means x-rays and body scans aren't even working. There is no level to which you can increase security. The type of attacks this sort of security is in response to keeps shifting methodology to avoid such security.
So you would just prefer it if security just didn't exist at all since it fails most of the time? Is this seriously what you're saying?

lazyboy97o

So you would just prefer it if security just didn't exist at all since it fails most of the time? Is this seriously what you're saying?
Yes. Would you live in a house built by a contractor who sees 9 out of 10 of his houses fall down? Would you go to a lawyer who at best only wins 10% of his cases? Would you insist you passed an exam with only 10% of the questions answered correctly? We're way past failing most of the time, generally 10% at best would be total failure.

Prog

-High amount of inconvenience
-Low amount of security
-A man with a machine gun can get through easily anyway
-Easily exploitable holes in security (spillover line, rear entrances, planted CM)
-Man with weapon can wreak havoc in unsecured parking lot
-Foiled attacks are foiled via intelligence gathering long before the gate
-Modeled after TSA which is widely known to be practically ineffective. Its primary functions are bolstering public confidence in security and providing a first line of defense against attackers that are either so impulsive/badly researched that they did not know this, or just very unlucky
So, in short, yes.

matt9112

MK has a spillover line that doesn't get scanned making this an absurdly inconvenient and blatant security theater.

There was no foul play here.....people breaking the rules sure and to some degree laws? (I believe the lawyer guy had an expired licence to carry) But in both of those cases there was no mellacious intent....Ala shoot the park up.

It's Florida guns are common....get over it.

A good example of how effective it may be you need not look far. The TSA the beacon of American flight safety has an insane failure rate on finding hidden "fake" bombs and weapons the FBI trys sending through. (It's part of testing)

Yert3

There was no foul play here.....people breaking the rules sure and to some degree laws? (I believe the lawyer guy had an expired licence to carry) But in both of those cases there was no mellacious intent....Ala shoot the park up.

It's Florida guns are common....get over it.

A good example of how effective it may be you need not look far. The TSA the beacon of American flight safety has an insane failure rate on finding hidden "fake" bombs and weapons the FBI trys sending through. (It's part of testing)
I don't care if is there mellacious intent or not. You don't need a f'ing gun at Disney, or the grocery store, or the theatre. Gun nuts are out of their minds. No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us.

Prog

I don't disagree but the point is that the security checkpoint didn't prevent any intended malicious incident so much as catch dumbasses with guns being dumbasses

lazyboy97o

I don't care if is there mellacious intent or not. You don't need a f'ing gun at Disney, or the grocery store, or the theatre. Gun nuts are out of their minds. No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us.
The intent is what these screenings are supposed to stop...

matt9112

Funny......they laugh at us until they need something...until they need help.

As an aside your opinion is valid but it holds no weight and you seem to be A little crazy to start cursing over nothing. Shame.

thomas998

I am worried about their reliability. I once forgot to take my keys and phone out of my pockets and the detector didn't go off. It didn't even click with me until a few minutes later.
Because Disney isn't serious about really keeping guns and knives out. The fact is you set the sensitivity of the detector high enough and it would go off from the rivets in your Levis, but that would impede the flow of people too much and Disney would lose money. The whole charade is to make people that are nervous feel like Disney is doing something to make them safe.... But once someone sneaks in with a gun and mows down a bunch of people the lawyers will hit Disney even harder because it will come out that they had the metal detectors and made a conscious decision to basically turn them off.

I've been to parks that had detectors that were on the other extreme of sensitivity and it created some of the longest lines I can remember anywhere. I remember emptying everything going through... Ooops take off the belt and do it again.. Ooops take off your shoes... ooops still beeping being wanded after the 4th time of it beeping and finding that my wedding ring was the culprit.... And I wasn't the only one getting multiple beeps and finally being wanded the line was insanely slow and honestly we haven't been back to the park sense that time because it was just too much of a pain in the backside.... That's what would happen at Disney if they wanted to take the metal detector seriously.

Of course even if you ratcheted the detector up you've still got the problem of non-metal weapons, I have a ceramic throwing knife that is very sharp, could be used as a weapon and will not set off any metal detectors... their system has holes but then their system is just a show piece not really intended to stop a nut job on a mission of mayhem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom