Memory maker or not?

ggsport98

I've booked a family trip to
Disney in May of 2018 and there is 7 of us going. I'm debating on whether or not to buy the memory maker or not. I want the photons to remember this when my kids are older but just don't know if we will stop for the cast members to take the photos. On the other side I don't want to not get it and never take photos. My question is have people purchased it and is it worth it?

ELG13

Yes, you can just scan your magic band. I believe the price is still $14.95 per photo (not sure if there is tax involved), so it takes 11 or 12 pictures to justify the cost of pre-ordering. I think there are 10 ride photos available throughout the parks (assuming you ride each one of those and *want* the picture) and if you take 1 or 2 pictures with the "icon" in each park in the background, you're already approaching 20 photos. And if you do any character meet & greets.... It doesn't take long to accumulate a lot of "good" shots. We're big fans of Memory Maker but I know it's not for everyone. We're a family of 10 (kids, a few spouses, grandchild) so it's a no brainer for us, but I can see where it's a more difficult decision for a couple or solo traveler.
I don't think we have ever wanted that many pics. It's usually 3 maybe 4. We are more candid/action shots. It sounds like it's probably not worth it for us. Thanks!!!!

Upvote 0

allgiggles

I don't think we have ever wanted that many pics. It's usually 3 maybe 4. We are more candid/action shots. It sounds like it's probably not worth it for us. Thanks!!!!

Yes, if you're only interested in a handful of pictures, it's definitely better to just buy the ones you're interested in.

Ironically, my favorite candid/action shots from Disney were actually taken by Photopass photographers. I know it's rare that they do that (it's only happened twice in 6 trips that we purchased MM) but I would have paid the MM price just for those shots. Our photographer at a M&G with Mickey just started snapping pictures as our daughters (teens) started interacting with Mickey -- those shots of them giggling with him are amazing. And another time our (then) 10 yo daughter started splashing in a fountain at AK and a photographer captured it. The CM in the area was encouraging kids to splash in the fountain (just using their hands). Our daughter was very hesitant at first because we wouldn't normally allow her to play in a fountain. The CM kept telling her it was ok to do it (after she heard us tell our DD it was ok "just this one time".) There was a PP photographer across the path who happened to see what was transpiring and he started shooting away as he walked closer to the "action". He captured the pure joy on our daughter's face as she splashed away. Those pictures are priceless to us. Granted, there is no guarantee someone will get those candid shots (like I said, 6 trips -- each with dozens of PP "sessions" -- and it only happened twice), but when that pixie dust happens, it's awesome. It was obvious that both of these photographers were *real* photographers and not just CMs trained to do their specific shots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ELG13

Yes, if you're only interested in a handful of pictures, it's definitely better to just buy the ones you're interested in.

Ironically, my favorite candid/action shots from Disney were actually taken by Photopass photographers. I know it's rare that they do that (it's only happened twice in 6 trips that we purchased MM) but I would have paid the MM price just for those shots. Our photographer at a M&G with Mickey just started snapping pictures as our daughters (teens) started interacting with Mickey -- those shots of them giggling with him are amazing. And another time our (then) 10 yo daughter started splashing in a fountain at AK and a photographer captured it. The CM in the area was encouraging kids to splash in the fountain (just using their hands). Our daughter was very hesitant at first because we wouldn't normally allow her to play in a fountain. The CM kept telling her it was ok to do it (after she heard us tell our DD it was ok "just this one time".) There was a PP photographer across the path who happened to see what was transpiring and he started shooting away as he walked closer to the "action". He captured the pure joy on our daughter's face as she splashed away. Those pictures are priceless to us. Granted, there is no guarantee someone will get those candid shots (like I said, 6 trips -- each with dozens of PP "sessions" -- and it only happened twice), but it when that pixie dust happens, it's awesome. It was obvious that both of these photographers were *real* photographers and not just CMs trained to do their specific shots.
Oh my that made me tear up a little!!! How amazing!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom