Trip Report Mele Kalikimaka WDW Adventure 2015-COMPLETED

Aloha! My name is Len and this is my first trip report here in a forum. I've been an avid Disney park fan for most of my life, but have never visited any of the locations during the Christmas season. My wife and I, along with some friends, were finally able to rectify that this past year. Come along as you take the journey with us from Hawaii to far off Orlando. I'll be stopping off for a bit at Universal Studios first to take a look at the Harry Potter attractions. If you stick with me, I promise we'll get to Walt Disney World in good time. Before I begin, I wanted to share with you one of my first photos from the Magic Kingdom after closing...

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Ugh I can only imagine. DH and I adore dogs and get our love fill from dogs in our family. We always say we want a dog, but a factor that stops us is having to leave them to go to Disney! However, we will get over it soon I think-we are breaking down :rolleyes:

It's hard leaving the girls behind, but it's definitely worth the "pain" to have them in our lives. Dogs really do become part of the family, and I definitely believe they increase one's quality of life. You and your DH will never look back once you take a pup home...

Jae99

I was a bit worried I might get the boot for all this Universal stuff...LOL! Half expecting security to remove me from my computer.
If I ever get back to Orlando again, Universal will be on my docket. Have you even been to Universal Studios Japan? That park is even more unreal!

Disney portion starts soon!
I wish I could get to Japan to visit Tokyo Disney and Universal, but it is not in the funds for the next little while. If you ever go make sure you come back and post a trip report. I will be able to visit through your pictures.;)

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
I wish I could get to Japan to visit Tokyo Disney and Universal, but it is not in the funds for the next little while. If you ever go make sure you come back and post a trip report. I will be able to visit through your pictures.;)

I've been to Tokyo Disney twice before and Universal in Osaka once. Disneysea is probably the most beautiful Disney park I've ever seen. We're tentatively planning to head back to Japan in 2018 to coincide with the 35th Anniversary. Unfortunately, Tokyo Disney does not allow tripods in the parks...ARRGHH!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
The first stop on our Hotel Tour was the Polynesian Village Resort. I remember a co-worker of mine would always stay there for the entire trip, every trip! I use to think what a waste...we live in Hawaii, why not experience something different cultural or theming wise? After visiting this resort, I now understand why she chose this place. I've been to Aulani several times, and while I enjoy the resort, it does not come close to the Polynesian. It could be completely bias, but there's something about a theme park hotel that makes it extra special. I loved the overall touches and those great tiki statues placed among the hotel. The lobby was magnificent with a cool juxtaposition of colors. I would definitely stay here for a few nights...

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Lobby 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Lobby 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Lobby 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Lobby 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
The Christmas tree in the lobby was also a sight to see. I took quite a bit of photos at BouTiki (love that word play) where those immense tiki statues were...kinda scary. Hawaii has its share of ghost stories and urban legends. One of the more famous ones involves the old Pali Highway. It's believed this road was built on ancient burial grounds and the kahuna spirits there are strong. I've heard tales of people driving down that highway late at night and their cars suddenly stalling out. Drivers would throw out fresh pork over the railing as an appeasement and find their vehicles mysteriously starting up again. Don't know who would have fresh pork in their cars at that time of the night, but I did keep a can of Pork 'N Beans in my trunk just in case. You would also see a line of torches coming out of the mountain tops around midnight. These were thought to be dead warriors marching towards some unseen battle. The state eventually closed down the old Pali road and built a new highway bypassing the haunted area...

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Lobby 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Bou-Tiki Store Entrance @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Bou-Tiki Window Display @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

BouTiki @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

BouTiki @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

BouTiki @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

BouTiki @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

BouTiki @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

BouTiki @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The detailing throughout the hotel is first rate as always. From a Polynesian Mary Blair tapestry to cute window displays featuring Huey, Louie, and Dewey!

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Lobby 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Window Display 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Window Display 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pineapple Lanai @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lilo & Stitch Surf's Up @ Disney's Polynesian Resort by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lobby Art @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Moana Mercantile @ Disney's Polynesian Village Resort 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Although the composition of your photos of the Polynesian lobby is spectacular, I don't care for the lobby, itself, since they remodeled it. I wish you could have seen it a few years ago before the remodel--it was lush, tropical, and gorgeous--it had a real "wow" factor.

Regardless, I'm glad that you liked it. I suppose the current lobby design might appeal to newer (and some previous) guests of the resort. By the way, the other photos you took of the shops, etc., were really fun and I enjoyed those very much! :)

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Although the composition of your photos of the Polynesian lobby is spectacular, I don't care for the lobby, itself, since they remodeled it. I wish you could have seen it a few years ago before the remodel--it was lush, tropical, and gorgeous--it had a real "wow" factor.

Regardless, I'm glad that you liked it. I suppose the current lobby design might appeal to newer (and some previous) guests of the resort. By the way, the other photos you took of the shops, etc., were really fun and I enjoyed those very much! :)

I've heard many people on the forums saying the exact same thing...they prefer the lobby prior to remodeling. I'll have to look for some pictures to see how it looked...I can imagine it was beautiful.

My opinions are really that of a noob! I think Hollywood Studios was great, although I know it's a shell of its former self. See what happens when you only visit WDW every 10 years or so...haha!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I've heard many people on the forums saying the exact same thing...they prefer the lobby prior to remodeling. I'll have to look for some pictures to see how it looked...I can imagine it was beautiful.

My opinions are really that of a noob! I think Hollywood Studios was great, although I know it's a shell of its former self. See what happens when you only visit WDW every 10 years or so...haha!

I think sometimes that noobs have the best experiences, because everything looks new and exciting. Noobs don't have previous images in their minds to make comparisons. (A final comment on the new lobby -- it's certainly attractive enough, as hotel lobbies go. My lack of enthusiasm for the remodel was due to the fact that the Polynesian used to have the most gorgeous lobby, that I always looked forward to seeing; and it's hard for me to get beyond that.)

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
I think sometimes that noobs have the best experiences, because everything looks new and exciting. Noobs don't have previous images in their minds to make comparisons. (A final comment on the new lobby -- it's certainly attractive enough, as hotel lobbies go. My lack of enthusiasm for the remodel was due to the fact that the Polynesian used to have the most gorgeous lobby, that I always looked forward to seeing; and it's hard for me to get beyond that.)

I think my "noobness" helped my wife and I really, really enjoy Hollywood Studios too...LOL! I would gladly trade noob status away if it meant visiting the parks more often to become a bit more...discerning...

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
We left the Polynesian and hopped aboard the monorail for our next stop...the Grand Floridian. While it's a very impressive hotel, I don't think I would ever stay here unless I got a super great rate. The Christmas tree in the lobby excluded that same sense of grandeur as the overall place. Sue got to meet a good friend of hers who drove out from North Carolina to spend a few days in the parks. I waited in line to buy some gingerbread cookies, but the wait was super long and we needed to head out to our next stop for a lunch appointment. I couldn't figure out why most of the photos of the gingerbread house looked....rather bland. It was only then that I realized brown being a dominant color can be detrimental to a picture that pops...LOL!

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort Lobby 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort Lobby 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort Lobby 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort Lobby 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Merkleins & Sue @ Disney's Grand Floridian Resort 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Balcony Stairs @ Disney's Grand Floridian by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Summer Lace Shop @ Disney's Grand Floridian by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

M. Mouse Mercantile @ Disney's Grand Floridian 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gingerbread House @ Disney's Grand Floridian 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gingerbread House @ Disney's Grand Floridian 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gingerbread House @ Disney's Grand Floridian 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Our next destination was Disney's Beach and Yacht Club resorts. We had a 1:00 lunch appointment at Beaches and Creams where we met our friends. The two couples had decided to go to Epcot in the morning since they would be flying out to Miami for a day to visit a car museum. One of guys...Kelly, is a big fan of TV cars and the chance to see the Batmobile and Black Beauty in person was to good to pass up.

Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Wreath by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Ashley @ Beaches & Cream Soda Shop by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Prior to the trip, I read good reviews on the restaurant and Colleen (one of our friends) was looking forward to picking up a Mickey Pants bowl to take home. The detailing was up to the usual high Disney standards, but the food was a big disappointment. Our burgers were bland and rather tasteless, and our fries were greasy and cold. I would have gladly traded my meal here for one from In 'N Out Burgers (and I would have paid the same prices too)...

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

prfctlyximprct

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. It's how the Disney of my childhood imagination looks! And I adored the Universal shots. I have never been but will be visiting for the first time in November. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos, it is making me so excited! The Harry Potter areas truly look just like the movies. Even though you may regret some of the time you spent behind the lens, we all appreciate your pictures!!! :)

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. It's how the Disney of my childhood imagination looks! And I adored the Universal shots. I have never been but will be visiting for the first time in November. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos, it is making me so excited! The Harry Potter areas truly look just like the movies. Even though you may regret some of the time you spent behind the lens, we all appreciate your pictures!!! :)

Mahalo @prfctlyximprct! Very excited for you that you'll be visiting Universal for the first time in November! I think you'll be surprised at how good certain parts of Universal is...especially the Harry Potter lands. The only thing I regret about my picture taking is how it took away time from seeing more of the parks (since I'd linger longer than usual in one specific area).

Hey, I just started on your August 2014 report! Great stuff...really enjoying your writing style and POV. By the way, I see you're a big Wilderness Lodge fan! Me too....we stayed there our last three nights of vacation.

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
After lunch, our groups split up...with our friends heading back to Epcot, while my wife and I continued our hotel tour with more of the Beach & Yacht Club as well as the Boardwalk area. I really liked the laid back, slow paced feel of these hotels. Boardwalk, especially was very empty...almost deserted. My wife and I leisurely visited a couple of stores while I took more photos of the lobby areas as well as the Christmas decorations.

Lobby of the Disney's Yacht Club Resort 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Beach & Yacht Club Resorts 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Wreath 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lobby of the Disney's Yacht Club Resort 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Garland Detail@ Disney's Beach & Yacht Club Resorts by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jae99

Our next destination was Disney's Beach and Yacht Club resorts. We had a 1:00 lunch appointment at Beaches and Creams where we met our friends. The two couples had decided to go to Epcot in the morning since they would be flying out to Miami for a day to visit a car museum. One of guys...Kelly, is a big fan of TV cars and the chance to see the Batmobile and Black Beauty in person was to good to pass up.

Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Wreath by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Ashley @ Beaches & Cream Soda Shop by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Prior to the trip, I read good reviews on the restaurant and Colleen (one of our friends) was looking forward to picking up a Mickey Pants bowl to take home. The detailing was up to the usual high Disney standards, but the food was a big disappointment. Our burgers were bland and rather tasteless, and our fries were greasy and cold. I would have gladly traded my meal here for one from In 'N Out Burgers (and I would have paid the same prices too)...

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr
Sorry that your meal at Beaches & Cream was disappointing. I think every restaurant in WDW has its off days. We dined there during our last trip in December. We all enjoyed our lunch, but if I remember correctly we all had sandwiches of which 3 of us had the Grilled Cheese and Tomato Bisque. It was amazing. When you make it back to Orlando give it a try.

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Sorry that your meal at Beaches & Cream was disappointing. I think every restaurant in WDW has its off days. We dined there during our last trip in December. We all enjoyed our lunch, but if I remember correctly we all had sandwiches of which 3 of us had the Grilled Cheese and Tomato Bisque. It was amazing. When you make it back to Orlando give it a try.

I really liked the ambiance of the place, but even our ice cream was sub par...LOL! But very true @Jae99 , we could have just hit an off day. I enjoy a good Tomato Bisque, so I may give it a try if we ever get back there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom