Meet the World to WDW

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
On the other side of the world (Japan) sits a perfectly good attraction that ran for 20 years, Meet the World. While is sits gathering dust and while WDW management makes plans for new attractions and countries for World Showcase, it would seem to me that they could get a used attraction for a bargain price. Since Meet the World was intended to be a part of World Showcase in 1984, why not recycle the Tokyo Disneyland version and bring it here? Thoughts anyone?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why not indeed! Good idea - the foundations are already in for MTW in the Japan Pavillion (its original home) I believe - probably a bit cracked though after 24 years!

Since Mount Fuji will probably never happen, it would at least bring something to the Japan / Morocco area (I confess I have only glanced round these pavillions - I don`t intend to spend my holiday shopping! They do need an attraction to get people like me to pay more attention)

MTW is mentioned on a few similar threads elesehere.

tomm4004

Wasn't there a reason why Meet the World didn't open in EPCOT? Too big or small or something? With the Mitsukoshi store expansion is there still room?

I saw Meet the World once in 1998. It was okay, but not memorable as I actually don't remember much of it. At the time, TDL still had attraction tickets and this one was complimentary.

netenyahoo

Anything they can bring to World Showcase would be great. Most of the countries need something to attract visitors. They could maybe update Meet the World to make it more interesting or whatever.

Pioneer Hall

I think it would be a good addition. That part of World Showcase really needs something (actually World Showcase in general needs something new).

tomm4004

I don't think it will happen. My understanding (or misunderstanding) is that the countries or corporations from those countries pay for the attractions - not Disney. Disney collect the gate money and royalties from the restaurants and shops. Mitsukoshi runs the Japan restaurants and shops - which always seem to be full and packed. So I'm not sure what benefit it would be to them to fork out the YEN.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by tomm4004
I don't think it will happen. My understanding (or misunderstanding) is that the countries or corporations from those countries pay for the attractions - not Disney. Disney collect the gate money and royalties from the restaurants and shops. Mitsukoshi runs the Japan restaurants and shops - which always seem to be full and packed. So I'm not sure what benefit it would be to them to fork out the YEN.

More people will come to the pavilion if there is an attraction there.

tomm4004

More people will come to the pavilion if there is an attraction there.
This is a question I've asked in the past. Is this the case? Are there numbers to show that the eateries and stores in France, for example, do better than Italy because of the French film? Or that China does better than Japan because of their film?

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by tomm4004
This is a question I've asked in the past. Is this the case? Are there numbers to show that the eateries and stores in France, for example, do better than Italy because of the French film? Or that China does better than Japan because of their film?

A film and a CoP type attraction would generate different responses. I think that if you put in something like the American Adventure, just the japanese history instead (which this is) would be a big crowd getter for the area. It wouldn't be just another movie.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by General Grizz
Fix the CoP theatre, first!

Good point. Even better - fix CoP and build MTW back to back - reduced labour / R&D, have any parts needed duplicated at the same time... like DLC and DLHK SM?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom