Mears v. Taxi

Nineinchnailsmk

Original Poster
Okie doke

Here is the question?

Mears Shuttle or Taxi from the Airport. Which is better? pros and cons? HELP!

shift your cargo deary, show em your larboard side...
was once
strike yer colors ye brazen wench, show em your larbord side (i think):lol:

Disneynut

There are many factors in making this decision:

1 - How many people are travelling? Mear's charges for each person while the taxis charges for the ride. If there are only one or two people Mear's would probably be cheaper.

2 - How quickly do you want to get to your resort? Mear's is a shuttle and there is a possibility that you will make several stops before reaching your destination.

3 - If you take a taxi, you can ask the driver to make a stop at a local grocery store, to stock up on supplies. With Mear's you can not.

I'm sure there are other factors, but I hope this helps.

Jedi Osborn

this wasn't one of your choices, but my wife and I like Tiffany Town car. They about $80 round trip (w/ the internet coupon) but its private clean and courtous (do I sound like a commercial?) After our second trip with Mears, we hated it. Both times we had to fight to get on the list at the airport (where they have one guy with a clipboard and about 30 guests just yelling out where they need to go). Eventually you get crammed into a van that will make several stops before they get to your hotel (unless you're lucky enough to be first, we weren't).
then on the way home, they pick you up several hours before your flight (I know you neeed extra time, but we had far too much) becuase they make many stops with a tour size bus to pick people up. You wait forever for them to dig your baggage out of the bottom of the bus.
so, bottom line, we hated mears.
If we don't rent a car, we go w/ tiffany. They'll even stop at a grocery store on the way to your hotel for no extra charge.
Sorry about all the negative stuff, but we were not happy at all w/ mears.

pooh&eyore

Do not take Mears. Read the above b/c it completely says why not to take them.

Definitely take either a Taxi or Tiffany's Town Car Service. I would opt for the Town Car only because of the extra attention you will get from a driver rather than the taxi driver.

kwt10

I agree with the last two post, take the towncar service! I have taken all forms of travel from the airport and the towncar service was the best. I used the Florida Towncar service but I beleive they all work the same. The towncar that we had even stopped at the grocery and waited for us to get our supplies. The Mears shuttle can take LOTS of time getting you to your hotel. Hope this helps.

Erika

Depending on how many are in your party, Tiffany might be the cheapest choice. 4 of us are going in October, so Tiffany works out to $20 a person, roundtrip (plus tip). Mears is $27 a person (plus tip) and I shudder to think what a taxi will charge.

conntom

It looks like I may take Tiffany for my Hotel it would be 65.00$
dollars and then there is a online coupon and it would be
60.00$. With Mears you have to make stops for other people
Hotels with Tiffany one stop your Hotel I like that :)

Erika

Originally posted by conntom
It looks like I may take Tiffany for my Hotel it would be 65.00$
dollars and then there is a online coupon and it would be
60.00$. With Mears you have to make stops for other people
Hotels with Tiffany one stop your Hotel I like that :)

Do you have a different way to get back to the airport? It's $80 roundtrip which is cheaper than paying $60 twice.

Hochmania

Another vote for taxi/towncar service!

After an airplane flight, dealing with security and luggage, I just want a nice air conditioned leather car to drive me and my party to my hotel room, not get a whirlwind tour of every other hotel on the way to mine. :lol:

raven

I usualy take Mears and have had no problems with them over the past few years. It is well worth the money.

I would be interested in comparing prices with Tiffany. Anybody know how much more it would be for 1 person for a round trip?

rosie.ca

:confused: i don't know what to take either there is just my brother and I going ... i don't have a lot of money sigh .... but i wouldn't mind picking up groceries ...
:lookaroun

Jedi Osborn

Its not that the mears service is bad, they don't toss your bags around and they're not rude. Its just their whole system. And I suppose in their defense, they're doing it the most efficient way they can. And if you have a small group its much more cost effective to use mears, but if you want to get straight to your hotel (or get groceries), have no hassle getting the ride (I mentioned the craziness out by the vans w/ mears, with tiffany, there's a guy waiting at the bottom of the escalator with your name on a card......how cool is that...just like the movies!!!:D )
tiffany is the way to go.

Erika

Originally posted by raven
I usualy take Mears and have had no problems with them over the past few years. It is well worth the money.

I would be interested in comparing prices with Tiffany. Anybody know how much more it would be for 1 person for a round trip?

Mears would be cheaper for you then.

They charge by the person, while Tiffany is a flat rate for up to 5. The price I got from their website was $80.

rosie.ca

i wish i had more people to split the cost with sigh... but i dunno i don't like hassles so i might haveta go with the towncar

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Erika

Mears would be cheaper for you then.

They charge by the person, while Tiffany is a flat rate for up to 5. The price I got from their website was $80.

Erika...
Is that round trip?...
I think all you guys just made me wanna go with Tiffiany!...Mears sounds like a nightmare....

mightyduck

Several of the trips I took to WDW solo last year had me using Mears to get back and forth. $80 r/t for one person was more than I could handle....

Of the four drivers, only one had questionable courtesy...

The rest were very nice and the wait wasn't terrible. I did see people waiting for towncars when I was there in March complaining because they are no longer allowed to leave the limos outside--they have to park in another lot. Some people seemed to be waiting a while, too....

If I had a party of more than three, I would go with the towncar. I would have gone towncar in March with the two of us since our flight got in so late....

Dwarful

We used Tiffany's this past trip....8 people in our party. Total was $90 for us roundtrip. Very nice to get off the plane, go to baggage claim and see someone standing there with a sign with our name on it...no waiting, no long drive arounds, of course we had five kids...three very young! So convience was a factor as well. But isn't there a new company that is a sponsor of this site? What are there rates and how do they compare to Tiffany's?

conntom

I stay at the Grosvenor thats on international Drive and for
Tiffany thats 65.00 round trip then there is a online coupon
of 5.00$ dollars off.:)

Jedi Osborn

The Tiffany driver helped us w/ our luggage to the curbside and then went to get the car. We didn't wait more than 5 minutes and it was outside so we got some fresh air after being stuck on the plane.
With mears we had to wait under that big overhang where all we could smell was bus exhaust.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom