Maybe it is time to start some long running threads in regards to Resort Construction

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Maybe we should start a Thread, or a group of Threads tahe focus on certain things and certain areas to let folks find related topics more easily.

OK, Hotels..

Do we do just one, or break it down into types, such as new and proposed construction, major refurb (including construction of additions, etc.), and then minor things, like rebranding and minor refurbs?

Restaurants and entertainment venues, do we separate AGW or place that in the same catagory?

Convention Center pretty clear one topic for projects and new events coming to the Center property.

Shopping and other Resort related projects as a catch all for everything else.

Then "areas"

i think the Disney owned land is one area (aka the Disneyland Resort, parking lots and planned Eastern Gateway.

The Eastern Gateway area, to me I would say the area on/near Harbor from Ball Road to Orangewood, east of the DLR and Convention Center property amd Interstate 5 as the eastern border.

Western area, the area west of the DLR/CC from the Disneyland drive offramp on I-5 Southbound to Orangewood.

The southern area, Land on Harbor from Orangewood to Garden Grove Blvd.

The area East of I-5, including the Platinum Triangle and the new project on Anaheim Blvd.

The Southern Non-Resort area, such as the Outlets of Orange and the Hotels south of Angel Stadium already built.

So those are my thoughts..

So are they good thoughts?

And how would you break them down?

These new threads would not be a replacement for some specific items, but more a place to consolidate and be able to follow what is happening at each project without needing to go through every post.

i would maintain the threads, and update the first post when needed.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, thinking about those projects that should be listed.

I will start with Hotel New Construction Projects..

Disney owned 4th Hotel
JW Marriott
Anabella property
Anaheim Plaza property
Quality Inn on Manchester Property
Park Vue Inn total rebuild
Staybridge Suites on Ball (former Restaurant near the Ball CM Parking Lot) (Almost Completed)
Element - Former Bergstrom Property
Cambria - Former Flakey Jake property
Hampton - former Arena Inn property
The proposed Hotel(s) on the property near the Olympic Training Complex (Just east of I-5 on Anaheim Blvd)
Proposed Nickelodeon Hotel in Garden Grove just south of the Sheraton on Harbor in Garden Grove.
LT Platinum Center Hotel next to Angel Stadium.
Hilton Buena Park (almost completed)
Hotel Stanford in Buena Park
Aloft Hotel in Buena Park

No known major remodels at this time that I know of.

Branding changes and other remodeling

Hotel Menage to a Four Points (currently undergoing refurb)
The three Disney Hotels, GCH is first on the list,and will have work until near the end of the year.

Last edited:

TP2000

I've been thinking the same thing Darkbeer. There's a heckuva lot going on right now in and around the Resort area beyond the two theme parks.

When I drove through the Resort area this afternoon to see the shuttered Arena Inn for myself, I realized that there are... So many new hotels under construction, just opened, or on the way! Because, you know, Disneyland is just a little locals-only park and never gets the tourist trade. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should start with your idea for the hotel projects, and call it Resort District New Hotel Construction so that it encompasses the Garden Grove section of Harbor Blvd. too?

If that works for folks, then branch out to the Convention Center thread, and hopefully a thread for GardenWalk revitalization, etc.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Somewhat off topic, but I just thought about Buena Park and its Tourist boom of new Hotels, the Butterfly Pallidium and Porto Bakery in its Tourist zone.

I think one seperate thread for its projects would be worth it to keep track of the projects, or we could add it to the list of "areas", similar to Garden Grove.

sirstude

Sounds good to me, as long as you give us some background on things,. I am up here in Montana and only hit the park every 5 years or so. Not particularly knowledable of the area, I use google earth and OpenStreetMap a lot to figure out where people are talking about.

NobodyElse

I've certainly been guilty of tacking onto the parking garage thread to include adjacent area news. Separating things out is probably a good idea.

Would it be useful to ask for a sub-forum for resort area development (excluding Disney parks, hotels, and retail)?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I've certainly been guilty of tacking onto the parking garage thread to include adjacent area news. Separating things out is probably a good idea.

Would it be useful to ask for a sub-forum for resort area development (excluding Disney parks, hotels, and retail)?

Interesting thought, right now we have only on forum based on Southern California, this Disneyland Thread. I would think we should have a few sub-threads, similar to WDW, but not as many.

Maybe a news topic, General Discussion, and Offsite as a start, and maybe a few more. And then "Other Southern California Attractions" set up similarly to the Orlando ones. It might also help draw more people to the board in general.

But that would be my opinion, and would they be used enough?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Well, I spent about 8 hours today going around the Anaheim Resort Area, over 9 miles of roaming around the area, taking photos and short videos of most of the Hotel sites that are being built, or proposed. Now, I borrowed a friend's ECV due to my recent surgery (also on Happy Pills), so it wasn't walking, but sidewalk driving ;) I did a map of my journey to figure out how far I went today. (I used the OCTA Bus system, so why the starting and ending points are different.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7016421

Photos and video are at the link below. Later tonight, I will also add my thoughts of getting up close in the Resort.

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Anaheim-Resort-District-1312017/

One thing I saw, the Pizza Press has found a new home just a block south on Harbor, as they will be inside the Anaheim Plaza Hotel Lobby Building, so another location that more than likely be torn down in a couple of years, maybe sooner. But still a good choice for non-Disney dining, great food made to order and a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, I did the Buena Park Tourism District today.

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Buena-Park-Tourism-District-222017/

Forgot about the new Hilton Buena Park, which I added to the list above.

The Farrell's is closed again for another makeover.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/farrell-742610-ice-lemonis.html

One of the Soak City new slides has arrived

Porto's Bakery is scheduled in about a month. (It is Yelp's #1 restaurant in the USA)

The Source (new mall and home for the Hilton is coming along)

http://thesourceoc.com/

No work on building the new Butterfly Palladium yet.

http://www.visitbuenapark.com/business/butterfly-palladium

Finished up with dinner at the Cross Roast on Magnolia near Broadway.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7017475

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom