Trip Report May 2017 Caribbean Beach Resort/ Flower & Garden Trip **COMPLETED**

We're back already!! :( As always, it went far too fast!

A little intro: We are myhappyplace (Amber) and Mrhappyplace (David). This was our 4th trip to the World as married folks (I've gone over 10 times prior to meeting DH, and he went on one day trips several times as a child).

(from our last trip)

Our Pre-Trip thread for this vacation can be found here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-pin-code-spring-caribbean-beach-trip.921077/ . Also, if you care to, searching will bring up past trip reports: our Disneymoon/WL trip, our Boardwalk/ F &W trip, and our Christmastime BLT trip.

On to this trip!

When: Saturday, April 29th- Saturday May 6th
(Even through 2 of our days were technically in April, I still referred to this as our 'May trip')

Where: Caribbean Beach Resort (our first moderate!)
Previous to meeting DH, I had only stayed in Value resorts. For our Disneymoon, we splurged (with the help of wedding gift money) and stayed at a Deluxe....well, and got spoiled. Now having stayed at 3 Deluxes, we weren't sure how our stay at a Moderate would go. I was fairly sure that as long as I had a shower and a bed and was at Disney, I was good. DH's main concern was transportation, as we really enjoy those resorts that have choices (boat & bus, monorail & walking, etc). Would we like CBR???

Why: sort of silly, because...why not?? Truthfully, we were going to take a bit of a break after our December trip, but we ended up getting a pin code in the mail, and after price checking, found we could swing a trip to enjoy Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival- a time of year we hadn't ever visited. Booking THIS trip then made us realize that we should upgrade to an Annual Pass in December, which THEN made us book a September and probably December trip to get the most use of the AP. So, thank you pin code!

Here we go!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, May 5th- Disney Springs & Magic Kingdom

Our last day :( How did we spend it? Well for one, we slept in quite a bit (intentionally), as we had a lunch reservation at DS and didn't want to rush to a park in the morning, then to DS, and back to a park. So we slept in till around 8 I think and then donned our bathing suits and headed to CenterTown. I had been wanting to at least swim once in the main pool, but wanted to go before it was a) too hot, and b) overrun with children (I love kids, don't get me wrong...I teach toddlers!) We figured this was our chance...and it was! We got to the main pool minutes before it even opened. The lifeguards were still setting up and having their morning meeting. When the gates were opened, there was just DH and I, 2 children, and a dad and his son.

The little boy swimming with his dad was cute...he and his dad went up to the waterslide, and the boy came down first. We were in the middle of the pool at the time, and could hear him saying "help, noooooo, noooo, help!" and the look on his face when he came out was one of sheer terror. But then his dad came down, and he brightened up and said "I did it Dad!" and he ran up to do it again. He was so proud of himself for conquering the slide!

Look at all of those empty chairs!

We had a pleasant dip, very peaceful. DH did go down the waterslide twice, and I did once. I really enjoyed the theming. We didn't stay very long, but then went back to our room, showered, and got ready for our lunch. Off to Disney Springs again! (we usually don't even go there once on a shorter trip, and we were back for the second time!)

We had some time before we needed to check in for lunch, and I wanted to check out Uniqlo. I didn't find anything I wanted to buy, but we did have our last name, and my brother's name, made in Japanese calligraphy.

Then we walked to our lunch destination--The Boathouse!

Our server was named Tyl, from Australia, and we loved her! She was awesome. An assistant waiter (I guess that's what he was? He brought out bread, and bussed the tables, and set them back up...throughout our visit at the Boathouse, he was an interesting character to watch. He talked to himself a lot. Also, after one table left, and he picked up the bill folder, he opened it and I heard him say "that's it?!") brought us out some bread.

DH started with the Maine lobster bisque

I didn't have a starter, but ordered the classic cheeseburger (and added bacon!), and upgraded my fries to their truffle fries. All very good!

DH had the Filet Mignon sliders, which he thought were good, but he wished he'd ordered more, as they didn't fill him up.

For dessert, I had the Double Chocolate Bundt Cake...mmmmm!

And DH had the Coconut Souffle Bread Pudding

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some more pictures around the Boathouse:

The children's meals were in little car boxes:

We enjoyed looking around at the decor in here, and would definitely eat here again (in fact, we are already thinking about it for our December trip). During our lunch we had discussed the fact that it was Saratoga Springs we could see out the window (and spoiler alert: that's where we ended up booking for December) The shop was really cute too..my school has a nautical theme, so there were many things I was tempted to buy, but refrained.

We watched an Amphicar on the water

We made the trek to the bus stop, and here we did end up waiting quite a bit, before a bus came along. We decided not to get off at our typical stop, but ride around to the CenterTown stop, to pick up a package (our Mexican cat from Epcot).

Caribbean Cay (the island connecting CenterTown and the section with Jamaica and Aruba) is very photogenic!

AND we saw turtles!! The one on the left dived into the water immediately after this photo, and the one on the right did not move a muscle the entire time.

When we got back to our building, we had a visitor

We decided that DH would stay at the resort to rest some more (he got up before I did), and I wanted to head to MK, where he would meet me up later. So I changed clothes and went back to the bus stop, for my solo afternoon in the MK!

Another post being put up, as spotted through the bus window:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm a big believer in being friendly to people you encounter, especially those that are providing a service to you. Upon my arrival at bag check at MK, there was a very friendly bag checker who was trying to be friendly and conversational to a family ahead of me, and they barely even acknowledged him, let alone responded more than a "mmhmm", which I thought incredibly rude.

I had a FP for 7DMT, so I headed there.

Really people? There are trash cans EVERYWHERE. Do you need to dirty up the ride queues?!?! Gross.

I was placed with a gentleman who was with his wife and daughter, sitting in front of us. He was very nice, but asked me "you're not the sort who gets sick on rides?" and I assured him that I was not.

I rather think HE is the one who looks sick...

I had the idea to go see if Gaston was meeting, but alas, I missed him. But I did decide to visit his tavern and get a LeFou's Brew.

I find it to be a very refreshing drink!

I love the details in Gaston's!!

I enjoyed my drink as I walked along, toward my next attraction.

The Tiki Room, which I haven't done in years!!

There was a little boy next to me (his dad was in the row behind) who scooted over near me and said "I LOVE the tiki room!"

Last edited:

WDWDarling

Loved reading through your report!

But really, the lantern picture of you two is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!! That's one of the best ones I've seen.

And your pictures are great as always as well :).

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Loved reading through your report!

But really, the lantern picture of you two is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!! That's one of the best ones I've seen.

And your pictures are great as always as well :).
Thank you so much! And thanks for reading; I should have the report finished tonight, as long as my internet and Photobucket are cooperating :)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Then it was a trip through Space, using a FP.

It had been a couple trips since I'd ridden Space, so I a) forgot where the camera was (though at least I wasn't looking the opposite direction) and b) forgot that it picks up speed right away, so wasn't prepared, obviously. I screamed, giggled, and whooped my way through, as per usual.

Continuing on through MK, I took Nicotine Alley to the Circus area (I think I'll always still think of it as Toontown Fair) I like how the sun and the castle were peeking through the trees.

The train was just departing, so we all waved at one another...where but Disney do you just wave at random strangers so much?

I just walked leisurely, snapping photos here and there.

From there, I walked toward New Fantasyland, and noticed just a 10 minute wait on Mermaid, so I went Under the Sea!

When I exited, I noticed a FP photographer by Mermaid, looking a little lonely, so I had some pictures made

Then I took a ride on the happiest cruise that ever set sail...it was the inspiration for me wearing the leggings that I was...they remind me of Mary Blair's dolls.

The screens were not personalized

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
While boarding IaSW, I got a text from DH saying he was almost at MK via bus, and we planned to meet at Sleepy Hollow, for he had a taste for funnel cake. So after my ride, I made my way over to Sleepy Hollow, and texted him that I was in line, I could just order it for him and have it ready but he was worried it wouldn't taste as good not warm, and the more he thought about it, it was about time for people to start grabbing spots on Main Street for Wishes and he was concerned that it would be harder for him to make his way to Liberty Square than, say, Tomorrowland. So we switched our meeting location to Tomorrowland. I waited on a bench for a few minutes near Space Mountain, and then he arrived.

We decided that we would see Wishes from New Fantasyland like we inadvertently had a couple years ago, and enjoyed. We stood near the bridge between 7DMT and BOG, and enjoyed. It felt like being IN the fireworks, because they happen on either side of you.

It is hard to tell, but these two women were...for lack of a better word..."conducting" the fireworks. Very dramatically so, and if I'm not mistaken, they were facebook live-ing it (they had the phone propped on the ground toward them)

*sniffle* And that was our last Wishes :cry:

We still had to fix DH's funnel cake craving. I thought I couldn't eat funnel cake, because as a child I got sick at an amusement park on it, and haven't had it since. Good news! I was able to eat and very much enjoy some...not sure how much DH liked that but oh well.

It started to sprinkle while we sat in the seating area, for just a minute or two. When we were done eating, it was done raining. We walked up the castle path and down the other side, just as Once Upon a Time was being shown.

We still had the matter of our Magical Paper Fastpasses...what to use them on? We decided on Space Mountain, as the wait was 75 minutes! I'd say we did a good job of saving them for something with a long wait...it was the longest wait in the park, I believe. It also was our last ride of the night.

We stopped at the hub and got a bag of cotton candy for the ride home tomorrow, and slowly walked out of the park.

At the bus stop, there were SO many young cheerleaders (like 10-13 year olds I think). One in particular did not shut up the ENTIRE time we waited, nor the ENTIRE ride back to CBR, and she sat right behind us. I am talking constant speech, not pausing.

While we were waiting in line, her family was right behind us, and I'm guessing her brother, who I think was around 9 maybe, kept trying to walk past us in line. I said several times "excuse us!" and he would go back to his place. Then when the bus arrived, and the doors opened, he tried again. I'll admit I was very snarky when I said to him (but also loud enough so that his parents could hear) "EXCUSE US. What are you doing?!" and he said not a word, but went behind us again. Not a word from the parents, telling him it is rude to skip line. Sheesh.

Not the best moment to end our day on, though DH forgot about it shortly afterward, it irritated me.

So, it was back to the resort, and time to pack up what I could then. Off to bed. DH had to wake me the following morning because we didn't set any kind of alarm. We were on the road at 8:30, and back home near Atlanta that late afternoon.

Overall, it was a WONDERFUL trip!! The first since 2013 where we had gotten to stay a whole week, so we didn't feel pressured that we wouldn't get to do something we wanted to do. We did several Signature Dining, which we enjoyed, and we have come to like our midday breaks. DH says he thinks he's done spending large amounts of time in Magic Kingdom...it just doesn't do much for him personally, but I don't mind spending MK time alone, at all. Also, I think our fears were calmed about staying at a moderate, which is as I had hoped. DH has no desire to stay at either of the Port Orleans resorts though, just for theming reasons, though I would stay at either...maybe when I take my brother someday. We really were happy with Caribbean Beach Resort!

Our next trip is in September (I've started a pre-trip for it), and then the next next trip is Decemeber. Then our AP runs out, and we're going to let it for this year. I really wish we could keep it, but we have a family vacation next summer, and then a 7 night Disney Fantasy cruise next December so we just don't think we'd get down there much next year. I'm really hoping the year after that we can get it again...I really loved having it! I really want to get my younger brother back down there for a brother/sister trip.

Anyway, thank you all for reading and for your comments!!

bee

Great report! I loved all your photos and your writing style is fun to read. :)

We've been doing the every-other-year AP thing since 2013 and it's worked out well so far. It really builds up excitement during the year off. We'll be renewing in a few months for 2017-2018 and there are so many new things to look forward to!

Now, on to your new PTR!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Great report! I loved all your photos and your writing style is fun to read. :)

We've been doing the every-other-year AP thing since 2013 and it's worked out well so far. It really builds up excitement during the year off. We'll be renewing in a few months for 2017-2018 and there are so many new things to look forward to!

Now, on to your new PTR!

Aw, thank you so much for your kind words, and for reading!

That's a good idea! We also toyed with the idea of just one of us renewing the AP, but not sure. And yes, that was our thought...wait for a year, maybe Avatar will have died down and Toy Story will be close to opening, so lots of fun things for the future!

Doc Disney

Sorry if you got a ton of notifications from me catching up on your report :) I really enjoyed it!

Club Cool was open, so we wanted to hit it early so the floor wouldn't be sticky yet.

LOL we do the same thing. Way more pleasant when its not sticky :)

I was placed with a gentleman who was with his wife and daughter, sitting in front of us. He was very nice, but asked me "you're not the sort who gets sick on rides?" and I assured him that I was not.

What an odd thing to ask. If you were the type would you even go on a ride? :p

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
A wonderful report! Can't wait for the next one. :) Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome, thanks for reading! I can't wait for the next trip either :)

Sorry if you got a ton of notifications from me catching up on your report :) I really enjoyed it!

LOL we do the same thing. Way more pleasant when its not sticky :)

What an odd thing to ask. If you were the type would you even go on a ride? :p

Hahaha, I think I had 96 notifications, but that's all good! As you know, Trip Reports are fun to do, but they're a lot of work too, so I'm always glad when people read them!

That's exactly what I thought too!

Loved your trip report!!!
Thank you so much!
I have to agree that the man next to you at 7DMT looks like he's not feeling well!

Great report! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share with us. :)
Maybe I should start asking folks the same question!!

Thanks again :)

He was probably just asking her if she gets sick on rides because that would probably tip him over the edge on being sick :p

LOL you could be correct!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Finally got caught up with your great TR. You had so many excellent photos that there's not enough time here to comment about all of them. Thanks for sharing them with us.

What draws me into photos are unique subjects that are shot at interesting angles (and lighting is also important). I wanted to comment about your butterfly photos--outstanding. Many people don't spend much time photographing them, but you captured their beauty and grace in your pictures. Incidentally, I was in EPCOT this past week (my yearly trip to WDW), and I went into the butterfly tent, to watch them fly around. They're fun to watch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom