Trip Report May 2017 Caribbean Beach Resort/ Flower & Garden Trip **COMPLETED**

We're back already!! :( As always, it went far too fast!

A little intro: We are myhappyplace (Amber) and Mrhappyplace (David). This was our 4th trip to the World as married folks (I've gone over 10 times prior to meeting DH, and he went on one day trips several times as a child).

(from our last trip)

Our Pre-Trip thread for this vacation can be found here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-pin-code-spring-caribbean-beach-trip.921077/ . Also, if you care to, searching will bring up past trip reports: our Disneymoon/WL trip, our Boardwalk/ F &W trip, and our Christmastime BLT trip.

On to this trip!

When: Saturday, April 29th- Saturday May 6th
(Even through 2 of our days were technically in April, I still referred to this as our 'May trip')

Where: Caribbean Beach Resort (our first moderate!)
Previous to meeting DH, I had only stayed in Value resorts. For our Disneymoon, we splurged (with the help of wedding gift money) and stayed at a Deluxe....well, and got spoiled. Now having stayed at 3 Deluxes, we weren't sure how our stay at a Moderate would go. I was fairly sure that as long as I had a shower and a bed and was at Disney, I was good. DH's main concern was transportation, as we really enjoy those resorts that have choices (boat & bus, monorail & walking, etc). Would we like CBR???

Why: sort of silly, because...why not?? Truthfully, we were going to take a bit of a break after our December trip, but we ended up getting a pin code in the mail, and after price checking, found we could swing a trip to enjoy Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival- a time of year we hadn't ever visited. Booking THIS trip then made us realize that we should upgrade to an Annual Pass in December, which THEN made us book a September and probably December trip to get the most use of the AP. So, thank you pin code!

Here we go!

Last edited:

Mrhappyplace

Is it the AP or the pin code that's the gateway drug? o_O I've never booked a pin code, so I'm going to go with the AP. I once did 6 trips in 12 months. From NY.:confused:

For us it was the pin code that led to the AP. We had our December land and sea booked already when we got the pin code. Prior to this I had been saying after the December trip we would take a break from WDW for awhile, maybe do a DL trip in late 2017 or 2018. Then when we got the pin code I started thinking about a F&G trip once we decided to book that I noticed the annual pass would save us a small amount over our park tickets for the two trips which lead to we should use the AP for two short trips during F&W and December. Honestly after that I don't think I'll go back until SWL and TSL are open.

I think I need to hire you to consult with my hubby. He's got a very large comic book collection in the basement. Never re-reads anything. I nag him frequently to consider monetizing it. :)

Depending on what he has he could be sitting on a lot of money. In general Books from before the mid 80s are worth a good amount, mid 80s to early 90s could have a good amount of value, mid 90s to 2000 or so are mostly worthless but there could be some decent worth in them. Hard to find books after 2000 that are valuable but there are some. Unfortunately the amount of people willing to purchase them is pretty small and it takes a bit of research to find what to set your prices at. Lastly he has to be willing to sell them many people price their books at a absurd price and then don't end up selling much.

We've got an Alaskan cruise already booked for August 2018, and I spent more time than I should have this afternoon at work researching a spring cruise. Found a reasonably priced 5-night with Marvel day at sea. Pretty sure I can easily sell that one. ;)

I considered a Marvel cruise for our 2018 cruise but they seemed priced high, maybe I should look again. We really want to do something different then another 3 or 4 day on the Dream only seeing Nassau and Castaway Cay.

I have taken photos in almost every DCL restroom I've been in. They're just so gorgeous and well-themed.

Rest room pics are acceptable as long as they don'y have bystanders in them.

Of course he did, because if you're from New York, what they serve in PizzeRizzo isn't actually pizza. ;):cool:

Is there good pizza at WDW? It doesn't necessarily have to be NY style but I haven;t had any I'd do again.

And I enjoyed the fact that you allowed it. Those were some dang funny pictures!! Well done, both of you!

I'll allow a few such pics and she has been pretty good about keeping them to a minimum. Selfies are the ones I have the lowest tolerance for.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Tag me in!!!

Random comments:
Love all your photos.

the BEST time of year, IMO! Love the Flower & Garden Fest.

Is it the AP or the pin code that's the gateway drug? o_O I've never booked a pin code, so I'm going to go with the AP. I once did 6 trips in 12 months. From NY.:confused:

I think I need to hire you to consult with my hubby. He's got a very large comic book collection in the basement. Never re-reads anything. I nag him frequently to consider monetizing it. :)

We've got an Alaskan cruise already booked for August 2018, and I spent more time than I should have this afternoon at work researching a spring cruise. Found a reasonably priced 5-night with Marvel day at sea. Pretty sure I can easily sell that one. ;)

Woo-hoo! Disney magic for sure!

Snob. ;):joyfull:

Well, call me a snob, too. I'm totally shocked at the lack of microwave. I don't think any resort room has an alarm clock anymore, which I also think is a drawback/mistake.

I have taken photos in almost every DCL restroom I've been in. They're just so gorgeous and well-themed.

I particularly love those Chinese lanterns in the GMR lobby. I remember similar ones being sold in local home goods shops back in the late 60s (I was a small child then, but they made an impression!). Lots of people had them in their homes, likely as a result of then-popular movie theater décor.

He was. And that AA doesn't do him justice. ;)

When you said "guess which one", that's the one I was hoping for!!!

Yeah, right. Sounds like something a husband would say. ;)

Wait, there's a subway room??? The banquet room looks like every other wedding hall in Queens, so I thought I'd have to sit there (although I'm from The Bronx), but if there's a subway room, that's where I'd have to be!!

Of course he did, because if you're from New York, what they serve in PizzeRizzo isn't actually pizza. ;):cool:

And I enjoyed the fact that you allowed it. Those were some dang funny pictures!! Well done, both of you!
AP discount was better then the Pin Code we got for our trip next week. Used the pin code to book, and then rebooked the reservation since the AP was better. Go figure.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Depending on what he has he could be sitting on a lot of money. In general Books from before the mid 80s are worth a good amount, mid 80s to early 90s could have a good amount of value, mid 90s to 2000 or so are mostly worthless but there could be some decent worth in them. Hard to find books after 2000 that are valuable but there are some. Unfortunately the amount of people willing to purchase them is pretty small and it takes a bit of research to find what to set your prices at. Lastly he has to be willing to sell them many people price their books at a absurd price and then don't end up selling much.

Collection started in the 70s, and he's still buying!

I considered a Marvel cruise for our 2018 cruise but they seemed priced high, maybe I should look again. We really want to do something different then another 3 or 4 day on the Dream only seeing Nassau and Castaway Cay.

There are 5-night Marvel cruises out of Miami in April/May that are under $3k for a verandah room. I thought that was a decent fare. We'd only done 3 or 4 nights on the Dream until we sailed on the Magic, 5 nights to Canada out of NY last fall. Now hubby will only consider 5 nights! 3 nights is definitely too short. Better than nothing, of course, but now I'm spoiled!

Is there good pizza at WDW? It doesn't necessarily have to be NY style but I haven;t had any I'd do again.

I've had Via Napoli a couple of times. It's okay.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
AP discount was better then the Pin Code we got for our trip next week. Used the pin code to book, and then rebooked the reservation since the AP was better. Go figure.
We have yet to have our AP rate be the best. Either pin codes or bouncebacks have been better.

Loving your trip report. Since we were there at the same time it will be neat following along to see if our paths ever crossed.
That would be awesome :)

Great report!! I'm ready to hear about AK!
Coming up, thanks for reading along!

Your trip seems incredible so far!!!! How exciting. I love all of pictures!
Thank you, thank you!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, May 1st- Animal Kingdom

We woke up to our alarm, and before long we were off to Animal Kingdom. On the way to the (Jamaica) bus stop, we saw this not-so-little fella along the road:

AK had morning EMH, though we didn't quite make it for the beginning; we did make it well before regular park open. Even though they had the AP line sign up, it in fact was closed once you got to the entrance. Boo. No matter, it wasn't busy. They were checking wristbands to be sure we qualified for EMH. Some people in line were not resort guests, and they seemed miffed that the CM told them they couldn't go in and to stand aside.

We lingered in the Oasis section, taking pics of flowers and such.

Kangaroo...love the tree in the background

We had fun watching this little tamarin for a few minutes:

We walked toward Kilimanjaro Safari

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I know we've all seen Safari pics, but I just. can't. help. taking. them.

We stopped for several minutes due to giraffe traffic!

They look like they were having a conversation

I freely admit that I was April the Giraffe-obsessed, so accordingly, I took lots of giraffe pics.

The baby elephant was so cute!

There are two female lions in this picture

And you can see the big daddy in the background (I didn't notice when taking this pic)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After the Safari, a snack was in order. We picked up a pretzel and cheese sauce each, though DH ended up giving his cheese to me because he thought it disgusting.

Even though the counter service wasn't open yet, we sat at a table in Harambe Market.

Next up, we went to my favorite attraction on property...know what it is?

That's the one!!

When it comes to this show, I am a wide-eyed child.

The costuming. The dancing. So catchy and stirring!

The tumble monkeys are my favorite

I've seen this show countless times, and yet I'm amazed and entertained every single time. During one portion, one tumble monkey was picking "fleas" off of the lead singer's cape, and then the lead singer donked him on the head with his microphone...you can tell they love what they do.

That's where I'm stopping tonight, folks...gotta be up and at 'em early for the Muffins for Moms event at my school tomorrow. I'll continue on with the rest of our AK day tomorrow evening!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Love the close-up photos of the big cats on the safari!

You also took some exceptional photos at the Festival of the Lion King. I love the creative, colorful costumes, and I think the cast puts on a really great show.

gdisneyfans

I know we've all seen Safari pics, but I just. can't. help. taking. them.

We stopped for several minutes due to giraffe traffic!

They look like they were having a conversation

I freely admit that I was April the Giraffe-obsessed, so accordingly, I took lots of giraffe pics.

The baby elephant was so cute!

There are two female lions in this picture

And you can see the big daddy in the background (I didn't notice when taking this pic)

I'm with you - now matter how many times we've done the safari, we always, always take pictures:joyfull: However, you took so many great shots with such unique angles and wonderful close-ups! Well done:happy:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The photos of the safari are amazing! Thank you!!

Thank you so much!

Love the close-up photos of the big cats on the safari!

You also took some exceptional photos at the Festival of the Lion King. I love the creative, colorful costumes, and I think the cast puts on a really great show.

I guess you would call us cat people; we're just used to the smaller variety! And thank you!

I'm with you - now matter how many times we've done the safari, we always, always take pictures:joyfull: However, you took so many great shots with such unique angles and wonderful close-ups! Well done:happy:

I just can't not. Thank you!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 3, continued

After FotLK, we had FP for Everest. DH wasn't interested in riding today, but I wanted to. But first, a restroom stop. And DH took this shot near the restroom I used, we think near Pizzafari.

It wasn't quite time yet, though, so we got in line here

We went a little crazy with the Tree of Life animal carving pictures, both in the queue for ITtBaB, and later on, as you'll see.

Sorry, not sorry?
Finally, to the theater.

There seemed to be a very large amount of scarred-for-life children after this show!!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Then it was over to Asia for my FP ride on Everest. DH took some pics of the area while I got in line, so the pics from the queue and ride are obviously mine.

I said it last trip, but I do think it's time to replace some of these banners. I mean, I know they look more authentic when they have some wear, but I really prefer the colorful to the faded-almost-to-white look.

Beautiful blue skies today, though hot!

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Day 3, continued

After FotLK, we had FP for Everest. DH wasn't interested in riding today, but I wanted to. But first, a restroom stop. And DH took this shot near the restroom I used, we think near Pizzafari.

It wasn't quite time yet, though, so we got in line here

We went a little crazy with the Tree of Life animal carving pictures, both in the queue for ITtBaB, and later on, as you'll see.

Sorry, not sorry?
Finally, to the theater.

There seemed to be a very large amount of scarred-for-life children after this show!!

Beautiful photos, especially the two of the flowers. And the ToL carvings.

I was a grown woman the one and only time I saw ITTBAB. And I was scarred by it! #neveragain

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom