Disney MaxPass reviews

Californian Elitist

Haha I don't care either way. I'm just trying to understand if I'm missing something fundamental here. I don't think the merchandising budget has anything to do with the attractions budget but I could be wrong.

Even if they were separate, I still wouldn't be interested in Magic Bands. If they want to invest in merchandise, they need to come up with better graphic tees. But that's another subject. :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Haha I don't care either way. I'm just trying to understand if I'm missing something fundamental here. I don't think the merchandising budget has anything to do with the attractions budget but I could be wrong.

The piece that you are missing is all the infrastructure is not actually setup for MBs.

You have the following still not in place for MBs to work:

Gate entrance
Hotel rooms
Shops
Carts
Shows
Infrastructure to tie it all together, ie backend systems.

Not to mention that a vast majority of DLR guest do not stay on property. They either stay off-site or are a local.

So they would have to spends hundreds of millions to get this all setup. The ROI of it is just not there, WDW is the example of this. It's the reason why they didn't do it for Shanghai. If they were really investing in MBs they would have done it for Shanghai where they could have built the infrastructure as part of the park. But they didn't. They have moved on to newer better technology.

You are only looking at this from one small piece, FP and collectables. So much more than you realize to get this working.

mickEblu

The piece that you are missing is all the infrastructure is not actually setup for MBs.

You have the following still not in place for MBs to work:

Gate entrance
Hotel rooms
Shops
Carts
Shows
Infrastructure to tie it all together, ie backend systems.

Not to mention that a vast majority of DLR guest do not stay on property. They either stay off-site or are a local.

So they would have to spends hundreds of millions to get this all setup. The ROI of it is just not there, WDW is the example of this. It's the reason why they didn't do it for Shanghai. If they were really investing in MBs they would have done it for Shanghai where they could have built the infrastructure as part of the park. But they didn't. They have moved on to newer better technology.

You are only looking at this from one small piece, FP and collectables. So much more than you realize to get this working.

What would they have to lose by selling collectible magic bands for $30 a pop without adding any more infrastructure? Why couldn't it be something just used at the park attraction touch points? Just because they use it in a bigger way at WDW doesn't mean that it has to be done that way here. It's a different market. I guess I'm assuming that if the touch points work for the ticket bar codes / phones than they can work for the magic bands. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've never held a magic band in person and have no attachments to them. I guess I don't understand the hate these things get. Sounds way better than pulling out your phone or ticket all day. As a father holding an 18 month old at the parks among other things all day, they sound very convenient.

Lastly how is this better technology for the consumer? Because we don't have to pay for the hardware? Maybe better for Disney because it's cheaper set up costs for them. But it's not better for me to have to pull a phone out of my pocket.

Last edited:

Axoman

I used magic bands for the first time with a trip to WDW 2 years ago. I will say, it was very convenient to not have to worry about bringing my wallet with me or bother with tickets. But, that was about it. I did not like the feeling of having to plan out my WDW vacation 60 days ahead of time that the FP+ system encourages.

I would like to see the convenience that magic bands provide come to DL, but I don't want it to turn into the "plan every minute of your vacation" that WDW has become.

I much prefer the laid back, go as you please feeling with DL. It's much more relaxing and enjoyable, but if I could wear a band and not have to bother carrying my wallet or park passes, it would be even more enjoyable to me.

mickEblu

I used magic bands for the first time with a trip to WDW 2 years ago. I will say, it was very convenient to not have to worry about bringing my wallet with me or bother with tickets. But, that was about it. I did not like the feeling of having to plan out my WDW vacation 60 days ahead of time that the FP+ system encourages.

I would like to see the convenience that magic bands provide come to DL, but I don't want it to turn into the "plan every minute of your vacation" that WDW has become.

I much prefer the laid back, go as you please feeling with DL. It's much more relaxing and enjoyable, but if I could wear a band and not have to bother carrying my wallet or park passes, it would be even more enjoyable to me.

I agree. I wouldn't want FP+ nor would that work at DLR.... for APs at least. However, I would mostly likely enjoy the convenience that comes with magic bands.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

I agree. I wouldn't want FP+ nor would that work at DLR.... for APs at least. However, I would mostly likely enjoy the convenience that comes with magic bands.
I actually think it's most useful for AP's/locals. Tourists will most likely be at the park at rope drop the majority of the time. AP's can be at work, schedule a FP for the evening, and have it ready for them when they arrive. FP+ is extremely underrated for AP's.

mickEblu

I actually think it's most useful for AP's/locals. Tourists will most likely be at the park at rope drop the majority of the time. AP's can be at work, schedule a FP for the evening, and have it ready for them when they arrive. FP+ is extremely underrated for AP's.

Ya I guess it depends on your personality. I'm not a planner but I could see how it works for some people. The thing is if they went full out FP+ wouldn't one have to book popular attractions like Space Mountain weeks in advance?

disneygeek90

Ya I guess it depends on your personality. I'm not a planner but I could see how it works for some people. The thing is if they went full out FP+ wouldn't one have to book popular attractions like Space Mountain weeks in advance?
Currently, it depends on the ride. I really only struggle to make a FP for Mine Train, Frozen and FoP/NRJ if it's same day. I would guess that eventually NRJ would be able to grab same day.

mickEblu

Currently, it depends on the ride. I really only struggle to make a FP for Mine Train, Frozen and FoP/NRJ if it's same day. I would guess that eventually NRJ would be able to grab same day.

I see. I think an unmodified FP+ would be a nightmare in Anaheim with all these savvy locals / APs It would force us all to book days/ weeks in advance.

disneygeek90

I see. I think an unmodified FP+ would be a nightmare in Anaheim with all these savvy locals / APs It would force us all to book days/ weeks in advance.
Yeah, that's probably true. I'm always curious as to what the % of locals there are vs here in WDW. It seems like it's a pretty big portion more.

RMichael21

At WDW, there are plenty early evening fastpasses for Space Mountain even by mid-afternoon (same-day). As @disneygeek90 said, it's really only FEA and the Pandora attractions that are hard to find same day (I've seen increased same-day availability, but that could also just be because we were a smaller party last trip).

mickEblu

It's a misconception that you HAVE to plan so far ahead.

The problem for me is I don't want to plan at all. I have to do enough of that at work. Lol.

Then This gets into the difference between a tourist / vacationer and a local/ AP. For some on vacation I see how FP+ could be good.

180º

Those of you who have never used FP+ before may be surprised at how much more spontaneous you can be with Fastpasses on the day of. You don't need to be savvy with the app, either. At any FP+ kiosk in the parks, cast members will let you know what's available and you can secure a fastpass right away. Imagine being able to get a fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers at 7:00 at night. Today, that's just about impossible. But with FP+ you can change your fastpass selections, so windows are opening all the time. That lets the spontaneous people benefit from other guests' cancellations.

I was a big Next Gen skeptic, and I still wonder whether even the great result is worth the exorbitant cost it took to implement. But I was absolutely shocked to find how much I love the new system. I have zero, and I mean zero regrets about FP+ replacing the old system at WDW.

EDIT: One day, I rode Peter Pan's Flight on a whim. This is a ride whose wait times are always too long for me to justify waiting in line. But on a whim, I decided to check on fastpasses for it. Twenty minutes later, I walked right up the fastpass queue.

D

Deleted member 107043

That could easily be remedied by limiting the reservations for APs through blackouts, limited times of the day/week, allowing bookings in the parks, or all of the above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom