Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I have moved from "Worst idea ever" to thinking...................."Maybe". Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman are a pretty talented team, and Emily Blunt would be a practically perfect Mary. I'm warming up to this. I really thought I would hate the stage musical after I heard they jiggled the plot and music and I LOVED IT. I predicted Cinderella would be awful and I loved that too. I even liked Maleficent. I'm even kinda looking forward to "Pete" and "Jungle Book". Go live remakes and sequels!

They have slowly been turning me too.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Some possible casting news - Emily Blunt is looking good for the part of Mary.

http://www.slashfilm.com/emily-blunt-as-mary-poppins/

emilyblunt-intothewoods-tree-700x368.jpg

Newest rumor - Lin Manuel Miranda of Hamilton fame is rumored to play a lamp lighter named Jack. I'm guessing it's the Bert type role.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/183949...-miranda-board-disneys-new-mary-poppins-film/

15540-0.jpg

Rob Marshall, who helmed the recent big-screen adaptation of Into the Woods, is on board to direct. Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, the team behind Hairspray, Smash’s Bombshell and the Broadway-bound Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, will compose a new score and original songs.

Rumored plot. Michael Banks now all grown up with his own family. Mary returns to help out. Takes place about 30 years after original.
Welp I have joined the dark side I am excited for this sequel and it's possibility.

Sped2424

Original Poster
As Pooh bear would say, "Oh bother."
Sorry but pooh bear can stuff it ;) Lin Manuel Miranda is a genius you want today's version of a top songwriting and music making look no further than Him. If he is involved in this film creatively in any way shape or form things are looking dangerously good dare I say iconic.

Last edited:

IMFearless

Well, my friends, I've had my doubts over the past few months regarding who was worse: Eisner or Iger. Eisner may have given us DCA 1.0, JIYI, those stupid DTV sequels, EuroDisney, and the death of hand-drawn animation as we know it...BUT: at least he respected the sanctity of the Disney classics.

But, however, under Iger's watch, various other Disney films are getting unneeded remakes: Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh, Mulan, Pinocchio Dumbo, and on and on and on.

But the mere fact that Iger has dared to mess with Mary Poppins means that he has sunken to a whole new level of low.

That's right, folks. I've made my decision...

IGER IS OFFICIALLY WORSE THAN EISNER.

Don't forget the removal of hot cheese!

prberk

I didn't make it THAT far! Not even through the first chapter. :p I really hate it that some people think that the way to "update" classic entities is to make them darker. I really wish the media would stop underestimating us. I am so sick of going to a fantasy film and seeing no joy, no sparkle, just weirdness and "edginess". I'm beginning to think such stuff is due to a real lack of creativity and laziness. It's easy to take something wholesome and corrupt it and attract curious onlookers, if nothing else. It's even happening to the Muppets, which I don't even care about, but there's something awful about taking a family property and trying to pound it into the jagged hole of vulgarity and cynicism (sorry for the metaphor - best I can do on a Monday) in an effort to make it...relevant or something. Cynicism and darkness and misfortune and sadness existed in real life in 1939, after all; but moviemakers back then felt their job was to provide a distraction from all that and offered a hopeful vision. That's what Walt wanted to do. I think that's what audiences STILL want. I think society needs it. Well, sorry for the rant. I just hate stuff like "Wicked".

AGREE 100%. (but I did enjoy the musical of Wicked). I despise everything being dark, dystopic and edgy. Without getting on a rant, I'm convinced that that's a major reason for "Tommorowland" doing a floperoo. It tried to tell people that 'Hey, the future is what you make of it you lazy, negative, self-fulfilling, life stinks losers.." Anyway, Yup!

Just re-read these, and decided to quote them. It's been almost a year and my reaction is even stronger. Every superhero film so far this year (OK, the ones I saw: Superman v. Batman and Captain America: Civil War) were overbearingly long on whether the superheroes should be reigned in by government, and treated like vigilantes. You know, OK, that is an interesting concept (whether people should take justice into their own hands), but it just does seem like we might need to remember that it is a SUPERHERO movie, for goodness sakes! We have taken a fantasy approach and yet somehow trying to drag it down through the mud of reality. And it seems consistent with the "everything has to be dark" and "no Hollywood ending" approach.

Entertainment Weekly recently write about the spate of TV series endings that bent over backward to be "clever" or "unsettled," and many people I knew who watched "Nashville" on ABC complained over the last two years that the drama was little much. I constantly saw comments like "can't they be happy for at least a little while?" This mattered because the show was a great mix of music, entertainment, and a look into the lives of the songwriting community that is unique to Nashville. I know some of them. Yes, drama exists, but many are happily married (as is Chuck Esten, who played Deacon). My point being that so much entertainment these days seems to be written from what writers THINK people want rather than the reflection of real life -- love, empathy, pathos, and celebration -- with a bent toward inspiration for good measure as most of the classics actually understood. Mary Poppins was clearly that. It was fun and inspirational. It recognized the dark things but underscored the hope and inspiration.

Does everything need to be hopeful and inspirational? No, but neither do they need to be dark and deconstructionist.

I hope the new Poppins lives up to the hopefulness and fun, even with a touch of darkness, that propelled the original.

(And, yes, I hope "Nashville" comes back... and lets the people be happy some... and focuses more on the music and frenetic energy of the music industry.)

216bruce

Just re-read these, and decided to quote them. It's been almost a year and my reaction is even stronger. Every superhero film so far this year (OK, the ones I saw: Superman v. Batman and Captain America: Civil War) were overbearingly long on whether the superheroes should be reigned in by government, and treated like vigilantes. You know, OK, that is an interesting concept (whether people should take justice into their own hands), but it just does seem like we might need to remember that it is a SUPERHERO movie, for goodness sakes! We have taken a fantasy approach and yet somehow trying to drag it down through the mud of reality. And it seems consistent with the "everything has to be dark" and "no Hollywood ending" approach.

Entertainment Weekly recently write about the spate of TV series endings that bent over backward to be "clever" or "unsettled," and many people I knew who watched "Nashville" on ABC complained over the last two years that the drama was little much. I constantly saw comments like "can't they be happy for at least a little while?" This mattered because the show was a great mix of music, entertainment, and a look into the lives of the songwriting community that is unique to Nashville. I know some of them. Yes, drama exists, but many are happily married (as is Chuck Esten, who played Deacon). My point being that so much entertainment these days seems to be written from what writers THINK people want rather than the reflection of real life -- love, empathy, pathos, and celebration -- with a bent toward inspiration for good measure as most of the classics actually understood. Mary Poppins was clearly that. It was fun and inspirational. It recognized the dark things but underscored the hope and inspiration.

Does everything need to be hopeful and inspirational? No, but neither do they need to be dark and deconstructionist.

I hope the new Poppins lives up to the hopefulness and fun, even with a touch of darkness, that propelled the original.

(And, yes, I hope "Nashville" comes back... and lets the people be happy some... and focuses more on the music and frenetic energy of the music industry.)
I'm grateful that "Civil War" and the MCU has at least some humor and humanity in it. They aren't as bleak and darkly epic as the DC stuff. I'm in a minority that I didn't think the Nolan/Bale Batman series was the greatest thing ever. Too dark for my taste. I read a lot of comics as a kid (mostly Marvel) in the 60's and early 70's and those were great, but if you revisit them now they seem so 'silly' compared to what comic books have become...and the movies follow that altered tone. I can't imagine the '66 Batman TV series even being made now or even the Christopher Reeve "Superman" flicks. Tastes change. The mood of the country is overall much darker and divided (obviously) post 9/11. I don't know if the film industry shaped that or was shaped by it, but I'm afraid it's going to be here for the foreseeable future. Personally, I'd love to see more stuff like "The Rocketeer" and the first "Captain America" movie. Good guys are 'good' and bad guys are 'bad'. Nothing wrong with black and white without everything being 'grey'.

prberk

I'm grateful that "Civil War" and the MCU has at least some humor and humanity in it. They aren't as bleak and darkly epic as the DC stuff. I'm in a minority that I didn't think the Nolan/Bale Batman series was the greatest thing ever. Too dark for my taste. I read a lot of comics as a kid (mostly Marvel) in the 60's and early 70's and those were great, but if you revisit them now they seem so 'silly' compared to what comic books have become...and the movies follow that altered tone. I can't imagine the '66 Batman TV series even being made now or even the Christopher Reeve "Superman" flicks. Tastes change. The mood of the country is overall much darker and divided (obviously) post 9/11. I don't know if the film industry shaped that or was shaped by it, but I'm afraid it's going to be here for the foreseeable future. Personally, I'd love to see more stuff like "The Rocketeer" and the first "Captain America" movie. Good guys are 'good' and bad guys are 'bad'. Nothing wrong with black and white without everything being 'grey'.

Cannot agree with you more. Be curious to see if this Mary Poppins takes the darker tone that even the modern live-action Cinderella took. (Not hugely dark, mind you, but still more so than the animated classic, even the lighting.)

I have a friend who LOVES The Rocketeer. I really need to see that.

I do want to point out, though, that this is not necessarily a "post-9/11" thing. You might remember that immediately following 9/11/01 they paused releasing big action flicks with destruction and negativity. Even Spider-Man was re-edited before release to take out the Twin Towers in the movie and posters.

I will always remember the lyrics to Alan Jackson's song about 9/11, "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)":

Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?

For a time after 9/11 we stopped being drawn into films that were so negative and dark. But it seems that now we have gone even more cynical and dark in our "entertainment" in many ways.

It looks like gone are the days when Commissioner Gordon would reach out to Batman for help... now he just wants him investigated. Again, it is a SUPERHERO movie. Does it have to be War and Peace? Can't it just be fun, with a positive message (good guys beat the bad guys) and great effects?

216bruce

Cannot agree with you more. Be curious to see if this Mary Poppins takes the darker tone that even the modern live-action Cinderella took. (Not hugely dark, mind you, but still more so than the animated classic, even the lighting.)

I have a friend who LOVES The Rocketeer. I really need to see that.

I do want to point out, though, that this is not necessarily a "post-9/11" thing. You might remember that immediately following 9/11/01 they paused releasing big action flicks with destruction and negativity. Even Spider-Man was re-edited before release to take out the Twin Towers in the movie and posters.

I will always remember the lyrics to Alan Jackson's song about 9/11, "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)":

Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?

For a time after 9/11 we stopped being drawn into films that were so negative and dark. But it seems that now we have gone even more cynical and dark in our "entertainment" in many ways.

It looks like gone are the days when Commissioner Gordon would reach out to Batman for help... now he just wants him investigated. Again, it is a SUPERHERO movie. Does it have to be War and Peace? Can't it just be fun, with a positive message (good guys beat the bad guys) and great effects?
Both "Captain America" and "Rocketeer" were directed by Joe Johnston. You DO need to see it. Pretty sure you'll love it.
The Mary Poppins books are definitely a different tone than the '64 film. While not 'dark', they aren't saccharine either. I'd bet that if the new movie follows the feel of a lot of the books that many people will be ticked that movies aren't faithful and it isn't 'Disney'. It'll be a tough audience for sure. There'sa bunch of really interesting and unique characters in the books that aren't in the first 'Poppins' film. I read all of PL Travers books after I saw "Saving Mr. Banks" and thought that if they were done right there was a ton of potential for a mini-Potter series of movies- cool characters, magical, whimsical stories. Let's hope so.

prberk

Both "Captain America" and "Rocketeer" were directed by Joe Johnston. You DO need to see it. Pretty sure you'll love it.
The Mary Poppins books are definitely a different tone than the '64 film. While not 'dark', they aren't saccharine either. I'd bet that if the new movie follows the feel of a lot of the books that many people will be ticked that movies aren't faithful and it isn't 'Disney'. It'll be a tough audience for sure. There'sa bunch of really interesting and unique characters in the books that aren't in the first 'Poppins' film. I read all of PL Travers books after I saw "Saving Mr. Banks" and thought that if they were done right there was a ton of potential for a mini-Potter series of movies- cool characters, magical, whimsical stories. Let's hope so.
Hmm. Thanks.

I still wonder how they finally got the rights to do a sequel after "Banks" made it so clear that she absolutely did not want that.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Andrews, Van Dy.ke back for Mary Poppins 2!
http://moviehole.net/2016107558andrews-van-****-back-mary-poppins-2

Original “Mary Poppins” stars Julie Andrews and Dick Van have been asked to appear in the upcoming sequel “Mary Poppins Returns” says E! Online.

The new film, set to star Emily Blunt, is set in Depression-era London twenty years later and sees Poppins return to help a now grown-up Jane and Michael Banks find meaning to their lives again after a tragedy.

Joining Blunt (as Poppins) are Meryl Streep and Lin-Manuel Miranda.

No word on who Andrews and Van would play in the film but it’s likely they’d be reprising their characters from the earlier film.

Rob Marshall (“Chicago”) is at the helm of the new movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom