Marvel heading to the parks!!!!!

lazyboy97o

I don't understand the issue with Marvel characters being integrated into the parks.

Star Wars, The Muppets, Indiana Jones, and others properties all work very well in many places where they exist within the various parks.

I would love to see them at DHS or Tomorrowland. Stark Expo is the perfect concept for it.
Typology of story. Marvel's best stories are not very "Disney." Who wouldn't want to meet a wasted Iron Man who reeks of booze?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Oh I know they can't put them in WDW at least for now. But my main point is that Marvel could work. I think Iron Man in Tomorrowland is a perfect fit. Or an Avengers themed attraction in the Hollywood Land area of DCA.

lazyboy97o

Oh I know they can't put them in WDW at least for now. But my main point is that Marvel could work. I think Iron Man in Tomorrowland is a perfect fit. Or an Avengers themed attraction in the Hollywood Land area of DCA.
Tony Stark lives today and only Captain America was alive during the time period of Hollywoodland.

Demon In A Bottle is a very, very, VERY small part of the whole Iron Man saga that just happened to be exploited in the second movie.
But it's the sort of boundary pushing that made Marvel. Disney doesn't do that.

BrianLo

Actually, according to the HK Standard, it will be located near Toy Story Land. I'm not quite sure how much land is available there, but not sure how large a footprint this land is going to take. There one small expansion pad in T-land near Buzz where Star Tours was supposed to go. There is room for expansion behind Space Mountain, but there are many buildings there now, including WDI offices.

Hmm, I really, really hope they are wrong on that one.

There is quite large expansion pad between Small world and Toy story that is currently occupied by a huge slab of concrete (not sure if it has an actual purpose). However I always figured a Toy Story Mania show building/Fantasyland expansion would occupy that space in the future.

Edit: I looked at the article and they said opposite Toy Story Land. I take that to mean the Tomorrowland expansion pad, not the one beside Toy Story.

the.dreamfinder

Edit: I looked at the article and they said opposite Toy Story Land. I take that to mean the Tomorrowland expansion pad, not the one beside Toy Story.
Same here. WDI would've REALLY lost their marbles if they put a Marvel land between TSL and FL!
Is the evil sorceror Fitzgerald involved in this project?

MarkTwain

I'll be curious to see how this plays out. As much as I am against Marvel mixing with Disney parks (and especially castle parks) on principle, this is probably the ideal place for it to begin. I imagine Hong Kong doesn't have quite the number of advocates for Disney's legacy that we see stateside (or for that matter, in Europe or Japan), and Hong Kong Disneyland probably has the least amount of legacy of any Disneyland in the world to begin with. And there's no denying it needs the expansion. At the very least it will be an interesting petri dish to see how just the two brands meet before letting it happen over here.

lazyboy97o

On MiceChat, we were just talking about how Captain America would be a nice fit in Condor Flats in California Adventure.
And on MiceChat I've been told Captain America would make a nice fit for Main Street, USA because he is a patriotic American. Not to get on a tangent, but the level of discourse there has really fallen in my eyes.

kap91

As long as Marvel doesn't end up in the US castle parks I guess I can deal with this...although I don't think it belongs in any Disney park ever. Don't try convincing me, I will not listen to logic or reason. :)

WDW1974

I don't understand the issue with Marvel characters being integrated into the parks.

Star Wars, The Muppets, Indiana Jones, and others properties all work very well in many places where they exist within the various parks.

I would love to see them at DHS or Tomorrowland. Stark Expo is the perfect concept for it.

Some folks, myself included, feel they are a terrible fit for Disney Parks. They don't feel like they belong. Unlike say at IOA where they seeem perfectly matched.

And I absolutely feel they have no place in a MK/castle park.

WDW1974

Do you mean that the non-pixar attraction that Monsieur Gas told the press would come next to the resort will be Star Wars? (on DCP they're speculating a lot about it being the rumored Soarin' at the Studios, but in my opinion putting Soarin' in the Studios 'cause it's a movie it's pretty dumb...)

No, I believe what he was referring to was Marvel related and for DSP. ... Star Tours is up first at DLP, though. Likely to start by the end of the year as we get closer to Ratatouille.

Love what i read. Thank you Spirit.

Thanks, Q!

WDW1974

BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WDW1974

Hmm, I really, really hope they are wrong on that one.

There is quite large expansion pad between Small world and Toy story that is currently occupied by a huge slab of concrete (not sure if it has an actual purpose). However I always figured a Toy Story Mania show building/Fantasyland expansion would occupy that space in the future.

Yep. I'm not sure whether the reporter got it wrong or they're putting it on that pad. SDL isn't getting TSMM, but when last I heard there was a Buzz Lightyear version replacing the typical Space Ranger Spin/Astroblasters ... still, I really don't think TSMM is worthy of repeating anywhere.
... so that land could hold Marvel. ... My guess is these plans get announced very soon.

WED99

Hong Kong DL is quickly becoming one of the best parks to visit in the world due to it's uniqueness not seen anywhere else. I hope these small but high in number and quality lands keep coming, I love what it's turning out to be!

dagobert

No, I believe what he was referring to was Marvel related and for DSP. ... Star Tours is up first at DLP, though. Likely to start by the end of the year as we get closer to Ratatouille.

That's interesting, because yesterday at the shareholders meeting Philippe Gas, ED SCA CEO, said that they focus on WDSP first and so they currently have no plans on adding ST:II.

https://twitter.com/Mousekingdom/status/307078408502931456

As for Marvel in Disney parks, I think Disney will use the movies and they would fit perfectly into a Studios park. Unfortunately HKDL doesn't have one and so I hope it will get built at the Tomorrowland site of the park.

Indiana Jones isn't very Disney-like either. He drinks, he kills, but he has been around for so many years that no one cares anymore about these things. If Indiana Jones is family entertainment, then the Marvel movies are as well.

|Q|

That's interesting, because yesterday at the shareholders meeting Philippe Gas, ED SCA CEO, said that they focus on WDSP first and so they currently have no plans on adding ST:II.

You beat me to it! It was reported by a couple of twitters as a quote from the Q&A with Philippe Gas, but i cannot find the transcript. They did a little of talking about it on DCP, but my googlefrench is not good enough, i fear.

As for Marvel in Disney parks, I think Disney will use the movies and they would fit perfectly into a Studios park. Unfortunately HKDL doesn't have one and so I hope it will get built at the Tomorrowland site of the park.

I'm a big fan of the idea of Marvel in the parks, but i don't really think it would fit in a studio park. Beside the fact that Marvel comes from comic books (thus fits perfectly in a "written page" theme park like IoA), there is that annoying rights to the characters thing.
As you know while now Disney owns the rights to all the characters to use in theme parks (outside FL and Japan, of course), the movie rights are still split between 3 major studios (Sony has Spider-Man, Fox gets the Fantastic Four Ghost Rider and all the mutant stuff, Marvel all the others).
While on IoA Universal went for the comic-book-look for their Marvel area and characters (not wanting to pay Fox and Sony for the movie rights, i suppose), i'm pretty sure Disney will opt for a more real world look for their park iteration of the properties, basing it on the the already established Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Now Disney, in doing so, is free to create an MCU-compliant version of the beloved heroes they cannot (at least right now) put into movies to be used in the parks (and in some way plant the "seeds" of their existence in the MCU itself, like i think they're going to do with the proposed S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series). So they can have Spider-Man interacting with RDJ's Tony Stark. BUT! If they decide to put Marvel in the Movie parks, the Spider-Man that would be expected there, would be the Andrew Garfield sneaker-wearing Sony-owned version, wouldn't it? I mean, the message could become a little more complicated than it already is, wouldn't it? I'm sorry, trying to put this train of thoughts on paper in english it's pretty complicated, so i may have not been really clear.

WDW1974

Indiana Jones isn't very Disney-like either. He drinks, he kills, but he has been around for so many years that no one cares anymore about these things. If Indiana Jones is family entertainment, then the Marvel movies are as well.

Gas has gotten in trouble for saying things in the past before he had the funds approved, but when he talks of focusing on DSP first he is talking of the Ratatouille project first and Marvel down the road. ... But in between, you'll see Star Wars get a new and increased presence at DLP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom