Marvel heading to the parks!!!!!

lebeau

Bad title for a thread.

Makes people think Marvel is headed to WDW when it is NOT.

It is headed to HKDL.

Just like it will head to DSP later this decade.

An increased Star Wars presence will also NOT be heading to WDW ... but is on the way to DLP!

This is in the grand tradition of Marvel threads which are always misleading. Usually intentionally so in order to attract more traffic.

devoy1701

woner
wonder what the theory/reasoning behind this is
WDW hates spending money.
WDW doesn't believe it needs to spend money on new attractions.
WDW will wait to see if it's successful elsewhere...then have it rammed down their throats but not before finding a way to cut half the budget and half the fun!
There's plenty to do already...ask your MyMagicSuperBand+ for what you want to do next!
WDW ignores what the consumer wants.
If it ain't DVC, it ain't for you and me [at WDW].
Because WDW is getting Avatar (wait...are we??)!

take your pick.

JungleTrekFan

woner
Disney and More has another article about this but he says in it
"the WDC announced last september that they will do a loan of 1.3 billion to Disneyland Paris to help DLP refinance its debt. In two words, now instead to owe this huge amount of money to the banks DLP owes it to the WDC. Also, the WDC acquired recently LucasFilm for 4 billion dollars. And you don't need to be a genius to understand that Bob Iger surely wants to have a return both on the LucasFilm investment and get back the money of the loan that the WDC did to DLP. And guess what? the both are linked. Iger surely wants some Star Wars lands in Disney theme parks and DLP precisely need one to boost the park attendance to be able to give back the money that they owe to the WDC.
Sums it up quite nicely. DLP is in debt, but in order to get out of it attendance needs to be higher. So the WDC needed to invest in a better resort to make that happen. Hence more rides, amazing shows, and new hotel for them (or did that go down the drain? Haven’t heard about it lately but i remember it was suppose to be Rhodhe’s next baby.)​

|Q|

Just like it will head to DSP later this decade.

An increased Star Wars presence will also NOT be heading to WDW ... but is on the way to DLP!

Are you saying that IT IS going to happen? Something you want to share? ^_^"

Q

wdwfan4ver

woner
HKDL gets Marvel since they have a goal to reach a certain amount on attendance within a certain amount of time and to make sure HKDL continues to make profit. The fact is until recently, HKDL had debt issues.

DSP has attendance issues and is a reason why DLP is in debt. DSP has problems and shouldn't be a shocked since its "sister park" is DHS. The fact is if WDW didn't have the amount of parks or a park hopper, DHS would have less attendance.

WDW not getting Star Wars is on TDO. TDO is the reason Avatarland might be done because they want to "value imagineer" land and attractions besides wanting other parks to pay for the costs of the attraction first.

BrianLo

Bad title for a thread.

Makes people think Marvel is headed to WDW when it is NOT.

It is headed to HKDL.

Well, it IS in the Tokyo, HKDL, Shanghai subform, so it's not that misleading.

I think they will do a great job with this sub land. I'm expecting it to blend right in with Tomorrowland in the back corner of their park. That corner desperately needs something as the current expansions makes the park feel very lopsided.

I expect it to be nothing like IOA - more Marvel movie universe, less comic book styling.

BrianLo

Are you saying that IT IS going to happen? Something you want to share? ^_^"

Q

Check out the Disney and More Blog. Alain recently outlined some of the plans (Starwars DLP and Marvel HKDL). He's probably the go to guy for overseas park rumblings.

WDW1974

Sums it up quite nicely. DLP is in debt, but in order to get out of it attendance needs to be higher. So the WDC needed to invest in a better resort to make that happen. Hence more rides, amazing shows, and new hotel for them (or did that go down the drain? Haven’t heard about it lately but i remember it was suppose to be Rhodhe’s next baby.)​

Except for a very brief period in the 90s, Euro Disney has always been in debt. ... Disney's recent financial moves were done to pave the way to invest in DLP, which while beautiful, hasn't had a substantial/major attraction open since Space Mountain in 1995. Buzz Lightyear took over Le Visionarium in 2006, but isn't really a major attraction.

They still have plans for a new hotel. But it is likely years off.

WDW1974

Well, it IS in the Tokyo, HKDL, Shanghai subform, so it's not that misleading.

Well, it literally was just moved recently because all day it was in WDW News and Rumours.

I think they will do a great job with this sub land. I'm expecting it to blend right in with Tomorrowland in the back corner of their park. That corner desperately needs something as the current expansions makes the park feel very lopsided.

I expect it to be nothing like IOA - more Marvel movie universe, less comic book styling.

Actually, according to the HK Standard, it will be located near Toy Story Land. I'm not quite sure how much land is available there, but not sure how large a footprint this land is going to take. There one small expansion pad in T-land near Buzz where Star Tours was supposed to go. There is room for expansion behind Space Mountain, but there are many buildings there now, including WDI offices.

wdwfan4ver

I wish we would get Marvel in California first.
I agree, but HKDL does needs it worse.

Shanghai Disneyland is Hong Kong Disneyland's competitor for China. Hong Kong Disneyland isn't located on the mainland of China, but Shanghai Disneyland is. The fact is 45 percent of Hong Kong Disneyland's attendance came from mainland China and that is an issue an since booth parks would depend on the mainland of going to the theme parks.

Shanghai Disneyland is planned to be open in December of 2015. Marvel needs to be happen as soon as possible for HKDL because of Shanghai Disneyland's opening date. Shanghai Disneyland is 2 to 3 times bigger than HKDL is.

The fact is HKDL was under under performing attendance wise before the Expansion was started and got about 6.7 million tourists last year and was the most ever the park ever got thanks to their soon ending expansion. It also get its first profit ever in the last fiscal year in last September.

|Q|

I thought I just did. What would you like to know?

Cool!

Wich one is more probable to happen first? On the french forum DisneyCentralPlaza their insiders have talked about a development plan of the Studios Park that would last 'til 2018 in the effort to make it a full day park, does this mean that the Marvel plan (it would supposedly be a retheming of the awful Backlot area) would have priority over Star Wars? (i have to admit i'm quite excited about both)

The general opinion on DCP is that the Marvel project would include a retheming of R'n'RC and the stunt show, and a possible big new attraction. Can we be optimistic?

(sorry, i don't want to turn this into a parisian topic)

WDW1974

Star Wars will be coming to DLP before DSP gets Marvel and more makeover/placemaking.

Don't know about the retheme of RnRC. Currently, that's nothing more than rumour.

Yes, we can be optimistic!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I don't understand the issue with Marvel characters being integrated into the parks.

Star Wars, The Muppets, Indiana Jones, and others properties all work very well in many places where they exist within the various parks.

I would love to see them at DHS or Tomorrowland. Stark Expo is the perfect concept for it.

wdwfan4ver

I don't understand the issue with Marvel characters being integrated into the parks.

Star Wars, The Muppets, Indiana Jones, and others properties all work very well in many places where they exist within the various parks.

I would love to see them at DHS or Tomorrowland. Stark Expo is the perfect concept for it.
I have no problems with having Marvel Characters into parks, but DHS is a different matter. I agree though DHS would be great for Marvel. What Disney is planning for DSP would have been what its sister park DHS would have been like for Marvel.

Marvel can't work at DHS thanks to the agreement Universal has. At the time Disney got Marvel, Universal already had an existing agreement with Marvel for Islands of Adventure

Disney can't put Marvel Characters in any of the 4 WDW theme parks as the nature of the writing and the only way that would be gone is Universal agrees to a buyout of Marvel. That is out of the question due to the asking price at this point. Universal is allowed to have the Marvel Characters at IOA for rides and stuff, but that doesn't affect rest of the Disney parks including Disneyland.

|Q|

Star Wars will be coming to DLP before DSP gets Marvel and more makeover/placemaking.

Do you mean that the non-pixar attraction that Monsieur Gas told the press would come next to the resort will be Star Wars? (on DCP they're speculating a lot about it being the rumored Soarin' at the Studios, but in my opinion putting Soarin' in the Studios 'cause it's a movie it's pretty dumb...)

Yes, we can be optimistic!

Love what i read. Thank you Spirit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom