Mark VIII Monorail Concepts (again not sure where to post)

nace888

Original Poster
Okay... I've seen at least 3 concepts on Google, at LEAST 3... And they don't entirely appeal to me, with the exception of maybe one... Soooo, I'm creating this discussion for a few uses.

I'm currently designing a Mark VIII, and it'll be a WDW Monorail, as we all know Disneyland has had their Mark VIIs for a few years, and probably won't be due for new ones for a while... With that being said, I have a "basic essential sketch" of C1 nearly finished, or for the most part acceptable I suppose, and I've got a basic idea of what I'd like to see... that being said, I want to know what do YOU want to see with the Mark VIII Monorail? That can include features, ideas, stuff like that...

Also, I want to know if any of YOU are designing one, and I'd love to see the concepts! However, I'm not going to entirely publicize my version yet, as I'm still working on it, with a few tweaks here and there, though I intend to show a few shots through the process.

PeterAlt

This belongs in Imagineering. It's up to Bombardier to design. Have they said they have a new model in the works?

Currently, they are building a system for a city in Brazil. It's morning and I can't think of the name off-hand of the city. Please someone step in with that name! If they have a new model in the works, I would suspect that it would debut in that Brazilian system first...

nace888

Original Poster
This belongs in Imagineering. It's up to Bombardier to design. Have they said they have a new model in the works?

Currently, they are building a system for a city in Brazil. It's morning and I can't think of the name off-hand of the city. Please someone step in with that name! If they have a new model in the works, I would suspect that it would debut in that Brazilian system first...
I'm just doing the aesthetic design out of boredom, since I know Disney and Bombardier won't directly take the designs. I doubt that the Brazilian Monorail would have the same aesthetics of the Mark VIII though...

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member

Inova

lazyboy97o

The São Paulo Monorail is an INNOVIA 300 system that would not fit on the Walt Disney World Monorail System. It is the INNOVIA 200 series that would work at Walt Disney World because it is essentially the Mark VI, even previously being named the M-VI series.

nace888

Original Poster
The São Paulo Monorail is an INNOVIA 300 system that would not fit on the Walt Disney World Monorail System. It is the INNOVIA 200 series that would work at Walt Disney World because it is essentially the Mark VI, even previously being named the M-VI series.
My question though, is what would you like to see out of a Mark VIII? While an Innovia 200 would do nicely, it doesn't (to me) quite fit the iconic Disney Transport look that the Mark IVs and VIs did/do...

PeterAlt

I'm just doing the aesthetic design out of boredom, since I know Disney and Bombardier won't directly take the designs. I doubt that the Brazilian Monorail would have the same aesthetics of the Mark VIII though...
It's Bombardier, so it will use the latest Mark model.

PeterAlt

Yeah, what he said.

PeterAlt

My question though, is what would you like to see out of a Mark VIII? While an Innovia 200 would do nicely, it doesn't (to me) quite fit the iconic Disney Transport look that the Mark IVs and VIs did/do...
I would like to see a hybrid vehicle that could run on both monorail and light rail tracks. That way they can expand the system with inexpensive light rail, while keeping the existing monorail viaducts in place without expensive modifications, and still have the trains work interchangeably on both the old monorail viaducts and the new expanded light rail tracking system.

nace888

Original Poster
I would like to see a hybrid vehicle that could run on both monorail and light rail tracks. That way they can expand the system with inexpensive light rail, while keeping the existing monorail viaducts in place without expensive modifications, and still have the trains work interchangeably on both the old monorail viaducts and the new expanded light rail tracking system.
OH SURE MAKE IT COMPLICATED LOL!!! Okay, I'm being weak... I'm bout to expose my design I have so far...

PeterAlt

OH SURE MAKE IT COMPLICATED LOL!!! Okay, I'm being weak... I'm bout to expose my design I have so far...
My monorail research has been focused on how to get the costs lower. My suggestion would make quite a difference in this goal. Getting the cost down to a level the company is willing to invest in is the make or break determining factor for ever expanding the system, which I see as more important than anything. So, if my suggestion brings the cost down to that level where Disney is willing to invest in system expansion, then my suggestion is the most important one I can make.

Nextinline

While Bombardier's stock monorail line is INNOVIA, I don't think Disney has ever purchased stock vehicles. Correct me if I'm wrong but the original ALWEG monorails had a unique car bodies, Mark III-V were original WED designs, Mark VI is an original design (the shell is not the same as Bombardier's Innovia 200), & the newest Disneyland vehicles are unique as well. If & when Disney ever replaces its WDW monorail cars they will likely use a unique aesthetic no matter who they purchase the vehicles from.

nace888

Original Poster
Mark VIII Monorail Concept Art.jpg

Okay, what we see here is a train very reminiscent of the Mark VI, while having a stylish look of a Mark VIII... As seen, the nose would no longer have that "hard edge" and instead would look more smooth, much like a LearJet... Instead of 2 part doors, the trains would have solid 1 part doors, and they would operate much like a mother's MiniVan, where the door would slide sideways... The Pilots door would do the same, sliding sideways when opening and closing, not needing to slam it shut.

The nose would have a more smooth curve to it, not having those few inches of straight flat across the front just above the light, and on my design, there would be no lights on the nose... In this case, the lights would be on the Skirts like at DisneyLand, but I'm leaning torward an LED Strip on the edge of the skirt, rather than 2-3 lights that DL Currently has... The skirts though, would be more reminiscent to the Mark Is/Mark VIIs, having that smooth slicey type edge, rather than a blocky edge on the current Mark VIs... Quite contrary to the image, the nose would be the same length as the current Mark VIs, I just simply can't draw those proportionally to save my life... Right now, my thought is that the whole middle section (from window edge to window edge on the passenger windows) would be black much like the Mark VIIs, but still keep the nice curves around the corners of the windows.

When you get inside, my idea is that the interior would no longer consist of blue seating, but a nice grey, to be more uniform with each train, and each cabin would offer mood lighting (much like the Mark VII) but in each color of the train. Red would have Red Mood Lighting, Yellow with Yellow, and so forth. Most of the lighting would be hidden under the seats, but may be placed in small ridges around the top of the cabin... The seating would not have a middle row no longer, and would instead have seating under the large middle windows, allowing for more space through the middle of the cabins. I intend to do inside sketches of both cabins and pilots cabs sometime in the near future...

nace888

Original Poster
My monorail research has been focused on how to get the costs lower. My suggestion would make quite a difference in this goal. Getting the cost down to a level the company is willing to invest in is the make or break determining factor for ever expanding the system, which I see as more important than anything. So, if my suggestion brings the cost down to that level where Disney is willing to invest in system expansion, then my suggestion is the most important one I can make.
Nonononoo you're perfectly fine, I'm messin with you!

While Bombardier's stock monorail line is INNOVIA, I don't think Disney has ever purchased stock vehicles. Correct me if I'm wrong but the original ALWEG monorails had a unique car bodies, Mark III-V were original WED designs, Mark VI is an original design (the shell is not the same as Bombardier's Innovia 200), & the newest Disneyland vehicles are unique as well. If & when Disney ever replaces its WDW monorail cars they will likely use a unique aesthetic no matter who they purchase the vehicles from.
Which is what I was referring to, and where my above post comes from! :D

nace888

Original Poster
I'd also like to add that the bodies would have the same shape, but the noses would change, as well as a few of the aesthetics... That would change in my design though... I have updated the concept art since scanning it (I scanned last week so I've added more since) but I think this could most definitely look good! I'd not added stripe work etc, only on the skirt, but even then it's not done to my standards...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom