Marceline

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
We just got back from a cross country trip to Disneyland on Amtrak. One leg of the trip was going from Chicago to Fullerton Ca on Amtrak's Southwest Chief and I was pleasantly surprised when the train passed right through Marceline Missouri where Walt grew up!

I was periodically glancing out the window on the way out and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw the name Marceline on an old train station building. A few seconds later I saw a sign for Walt Disney Municipal park and that confirmed it for me! On the way back I got a seat in the sightseeing car so I could get some pictures. Unfortunately we were moving pretty fast at that point so the pictures aren't the greatest.

This is Walt Disney Municpal Park, but the sign is directly behind that bush!
IMG_3718.JPG

Here is the train station, you can just see the name on the side.
IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

216bruce

The train station is the home of The Walt Disney Hometown Museum. It's a very cool place to visit and the folks in the town are great. I went there on a D23 trip a few months back and spent a goodly amount of time wandering the town and vsiting Walt's family's farm, the park, an elementary school named after him, etc. Definitely worth a trip if you are within driving distance.

ILDisneyFan

My family and I went there in May of this year and it was completely AWESOME! Every Disney fan should visit Marceline, MO at some point. Being there made me get a little teary eyed.

DCGC5

I actually took a trip to Missouri earlier this year with my gf at the time. We went through Marceline. I felt very honored to be there! But the museum unfortunately was closed!

jlevis

Visited Maceline last year on our way to New Orleans. The Museum was closed, early on Sunday, but we wandered around. I'm hoping D23 will repeat the trip.

ExtinctJenn

It's kind of amazing to me how Marceline is still the tiny town that it is. One would think that being the home of Walt Disney and the fact that people do head there just for that reason that it'd grow but no. It seems like they are wanting, purposely, to stay the quaint little town they've always been. I love that!

FigmentJedi

It's kind of amazing to me how Marceline is still the tiny town that it is. One would think that being the home of Walt Disney and the fact that people do head there just for that reason that it'd grow but no. It seems like they are wanting, purposely, to stay the quaint little town they've always been. I love that!
Walt wanted to give back to the town. There were plans for a living history farm type park to be set up outside town but those plans fell apart after he died.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom