Marceline: Trip Report, June 2014

teacherlady19

Original Poster
After reading the other thread about Marceline on this forum, and the blog from a few years back, I thought I'd post my own Trip Report for Marceline.

IT'S A DISNEY DAY

You may be wondering, "what does Disney have to do with Missouri? There are no Disney theme parks there!" Well, the town that Disney always called his hometown, even though he was born in Chicago, was Marceline, MO. It's about 80 miles from Columbia, MO, and I have wanted to go up there for years. As part of a road trip that included the visit to family in Lake of the Ozarks and Columbia, MO, this year was to be the year that we would get to Marceline. To my surprise, both parts of the family wanted to go, too, so we all piled in an 8-passenger van to go.

Our first stop was at the Walt Disney Hometown Museum, located in one of Walt's favorite places in town, the Santa Fe Railroad Depot.
June 19 to 21 015

As soon as I saw the front window, I was enchanted -- a window, just like the ones on the 2nd floor windows of Main Street USA in Disneyland!
June 19 to 21 018 by jeanniesisters, on Flickr

The only Disneyland ride ever to be taken down at DL and sent somewhere else was the Midget Autopia, which was open from 1955 to 1966. After Disney decided it didn't belong in his park because adults couldn't ride it, he had it packed up and sent it to Marceline. The ride was there in the park until it pretty well fell apart.
June 19 to 21 045

Inside the museum, we were given a tour by a docent who had met Walt on a number of occasions, then told to go look and take all the pictures we wanted. This surprised me because a blog I'd read had said that no photos could be taken inside. So here are quite a few.
June 19 to 21 023

Upstairs in the museum were all sorts of models of Disneyland (CA), including this one of the Castle:
June 19 to 21 035

After touring the museum, we went to eat lunch at a place called Suzie-Q's. The food was good, plentiful, and inexpensive! Everyone ate well but left room for dessert -- later.

Our next stop was to let our granddaughter get down and run, at E.P. Ripley Park. If that name sounds familiar, he was a president of the Santa Fe Railroad and knew Walt well. It's also the name of an engine at Disneyland.

June 19 to 21 059

This wishing well caused my daughter and I to break out in a rendition of "I'm Wishing" from SNOW WHITE.
June 19 to 21 062

This gazebo made the two of us break out in different music -- I was doing "William Tell Overture" and she was whistling "Turkey in the Straw". So what made us do that? We both know this gazebo as the inspiration for the Disney animated short, "The Band Concert".
June 19 to 21 063

teacherlady19

Original Poster
There were a lot more things in the park, like more trains. Considering that the Santa Fe RR lines run right through Marceline (but don't stop any more), it's not surprising to see this in the park:
June 19 to 21 066

It is said that Disneyland's Main Street USA (and to a degree, WDW's Magic Kingdom's Main Street USA) was patterned after Marceline. See any similarities? I sure do!
June 19 to 21 055

June 19 to 21 054

June 19 to 21 053

Off we went, back in the car, up to Broadway and out to where the Disney Family Farm had been. Walt's Dreaming Tree and a re-creation of the family barn where Walt had held a barn animal circus, was located. You park and then follow the signs back. I felt badly for the Dreaming Tree: it is dreaming of a new life on earth, maybe, because it's pretty dead and gone.
June 19 to 21 077

The barn is there, re-created back in 2001. Evidently Walt's barn in California was being moved out to Griffith Park (where it now resides, open only 1x per month on a Saturday), and the folks involved with that called Marceline. "We'll send you the plans we found, have the lumber ready in Marceline and we'll send folks out there to build it on the family property." And there's the barn!
June 19 to 21 083

My husband and I are now making plans to find a way to visit the "other" barn in Griffith Park, and the Family Museum in San Francisco. This has us fascinated!

We ended the day with ice cream at Yumeez in town, which makes its own ice cream. It's a change from Central Dairy in Jefferson City, which we didn't get to this trip. On the way home, the skies looked menacing, and it did pour on us for about 3 minutes while on US-63.

This is definitely a MUST SEE for any Disneyland, Disney movie, or general Disney fan. I'm glad I finally got to Marceline! If you are looking for any other photos of what's in Marceline, please let me know specifics -- if I took a photo, I will post it.

Some changes since that blog was posted a few years back: Uptown Theatre Marquee has to be renovated, as it's falling apart. The combination appliance sales store and soda fountain no longer exists, and the space is becoming a vintage book store. Of course the Dreaming Tree looks a whole lot different.

Donna

coachwnh

Very cool. We are in Illinois for another week and googled Marceline. Its about a three hour ride form where we are staying. Maybe a road trip ;)

Sassagoula-Rvr

It's pretty fun! Made it there a couple of summers ago...they want to rebuild the tiny autopia...I keep thinking that a Kickstarter campaign might harness the Disney fan community better.

216bruce

It's pretty fun! Made it there a couple of summers ago...they want to rebuild the tiny autopia...I keep thinking that a Kickstarter campaign might harness the Disney fan community better.
I'm in. Great town with really wonderful folks and the museum is fascinating.

216bruce

I'm just going to assume that the folks at the museum have considered this option. If they haven't, someone should 'drop them a line' about it. The property is there and I suspect that some of the infrastructure still remains in part to be a guideline for a new build of it. The problem would be operating costs after it's built. Those could be daunting and I have to wonder how self-sufficient the attraction would be. Anyways, count me in!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom