marathon weekend question

going to be staying at pors on marathon weekend had pofq but with stay play and dine deal had to switch. my question is what parks should be avoided on marathon weekend if any thanks.

ToTBellHop

I would say avoid Epcot Saturday morning, as the half marathon ends there and it is a bit difficult to navigate until after 10 am or so. On Sunday, the full marathon continues until about 1 pm. Take Disney transport anywhere you do go. We have had great luck with the MK on Marathon Sunday because they tell all of the resort guests not to go there. It is no problem getting there if you take a Disney bus.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Not a huge deal to be in park. Sat, Epcot is really the only park that will have any runners going through while the park is open. Sun the biggest problem will be getting to places for early morning anything. Be it an ADR for dining, rope drop, whatever, take Disney transport, and allow for extra time due to road closures. For instance, the primary road to the MK/Contemporary becomes a single lane for several hours while runners go that way, so they send 20 cars one direction, wait for them to get through, then send 20 cars in the other direction. Just watch out for runners during park hours, pay attention to any marked paths and CMs as runners may not be able to stop if you jump out in front of them. A sweaty half delusional runner crashing into you in Epcot around mile 25.5 won't end well for either party.

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

This will be our 3rd year going on the 1st week in January (daughters college break)

We've never made plans to avoid a specific park nor did we ever feel affected by the marathon weekend.

Any annoyance mainly came from tour groups.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

thank you i think i think i will stay away from epcot on sat and mk on sunday

Just to futher expound on this, Saturday runners will be done running by 10 at the latest, so only slight overlap with Epcots operating hours. Sunday runners will be cleared from MK, AK, DHS, Epcot in that order. MK should be clear by park open, so mostly a problem for early morning things like ADRs. DHS doesn't get clear til about noon, Epcot not until about 1, 1:30. Runners in AK, DHS and Epcot aren't a big problem, you just need to be attentive as to where you walk.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom