Marathon Weekend 2012

MCC1

Took a pass on 2011 with plan of returning for 2012 marathon...we'll see what kind of registration pricing games they play to see if they are the same that have me on the fence for W&D...

That being said, plan is I'm doing marathon with DW doing 1/2 & a leg of the new relay...time to start rolling the pennies if we try to do that & W&D.:shrug:

Figment82

I'm in, but I will probably wait a bit before registering (since we haven't even registered for W&D yet). I'm seriously considering going for the full, if I can talk the boyfriend into it, as we'll have 4 half marathons under our belt by that point. We shall see!

Texas84

Wow, that is early. Planning to do my first full then do the Disneyland the same year and get that extra medal!

Ariel484

Random question about marathon weekend...

I just got an email with my Princess Half results, and in the email was a discount code good for $20 off Marathon 2012 registration! (Not a giant discount, but it's something.) Have people gotten these in the past? I'm wondering if this is a new thing since registration was a little slow last year. :shrug: Or maybe they've been doing it all along and I just didn't know.

lukacseven

In the past, registration for the January half, full, and Goofy opened the Monday following the Marathon. There was no discount for past participants.

I'm weighing my options for 2012. Considering the marathon, Goofy, or Bermuda Triangle Challenge or Bahamas marathon. I wish Disney would announce more details and incentives when registration opens, not a little bit every month through the fall.

dreamfinder

Random question about marathon weekend...

I just got an email with my Princess Half results, and in the email was a discount code good for $20 off Marathon 2012 registration! (Not a giant discount, but it's something.) Have people gotten these in the past? I'm wondering if this is a new thing since registration was a little slow last year. :shrug: Or maybe they've been doing it all along and I just didn't know.

I believe this is something new. But, they also have just started to do the staggered registration costs over the last year or so. ($X by such a day, $X + more by a later date, $X + alot more by the latest date) I think they are trying to figure out how much the market can bear. Each year the costs have been creeping up $5-10 for the same (or less!) perks. They delayed the registration open by a few months, so that, the graduated registration costs, plus and additional discount for early registration seems like they are trying to fill it quickly while seeing what they can charge for it.

mraphael

I want to run something that weekend, just don't know what yet. I want to get more details on the RELAY first. Maybe just do the half....I did the full this year and I'm not planning on another FULL for sometime....

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
This from RunDisney's Facebook today:

"Here's our first piece of news for the 2012 WALT DISNEY WORLD Marathon Weekend. We'll be celebrating the 15th year of the WALT DISNEY WORLD Half Marathon by creating a special edition 15th anniversary Donald Duck finisher medal! How many Donald medals do you have?"

...I wasn't sure...but now I'm doing the half.

dreamfinder

Marathon relay details...http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/event...n/index?page=walt-disney-world-marathon-relay

Possibly a Chip and Dale medal?

I think it's a cool idea but it might have been good to offer more distances to appeal to more people...I did a 5-person marathon relay once (distances ranged from 2.8 to 7.9 miles or something). I wasn't expecting Disney's marathon relay to just be 2 half marathons. :shrug: Thoughts?

I can't see Disney finding multiple relay points being cost effective. Admittedly, I don't really see the draw of being able to do half a marathon in a relay form the day after you could have just run a half marathon. But having lots of change points means lots more infrastructure, not to mention needing the space for change points. Which means more confusion, interruptions and delays for the regular guests. Also, their races tend to draw more out of towners (I think) than locals. And I can't see many people traveling just to do a short distance. I think they noticed this in dropping most of the shorter distance races in favor of more half marathons.

Ariel484

I can't see Disney finding multiple relay points being cost effective. Admittedly, I don't really see the draw of being able to do half a marathon in a relay form the day after you could have just run a half marathon. But having lots of change points means lots more infrastructure, not to mention needing the space for change points. Which means more confusion, interruptions and delays for the regular guests. Also, their races tend to draw more out of towners (I think) than locals. And I can't see many people traveling just to do a short distance. I think they noticed this in dropping most of the shorter distance races in favor of more half marathons.

Right, I see what you're saying about all of the reasons why they wouldn't do shorter distances, but mainly I was thinking your statement bolded above. I guess I just don't see the point of them offering this relay since there's a half the day before, so I thought they were doing it to introduce a greater variety of distances since right now everything they have is either a 5k, half or full marathon. :shrug:

lukacseven

So we have Mickey, Donald, Goofy. Unofficially, Dopey.

What if you ran the half and then the relay? The Dumbo? That would be a sweet medal.

Phonedave

Took a pass on 2011 with plan of returning for 2012 marathon...we'll see what kind of registration pricing games they play to see if they are the same that have me on the fence for W&D...

That being said, plan is I'm doing marathon with DW doing 1/2 & a leg of the new relay...time to start rolling the pennies if we try to do that & W&D.:shrug:

It just got cheaper - I just got this in my email

Cardmembers, register online by 4/24 with your Disney Rewards® Visa® Card and save:

$35 off Marathon
$35 off Half Marathon
$70 off the Goofy
Challenge Race
Register through this link to maximize your savings with this offer just for Cardmembers

Phonedave

And now, about 5 hours later, I just got this

As a thank you for participating in this year's
Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, we'd like to invite you to register for the 2012 Marathon and save $20 on your entry fee*. That's in addition to the published early registration savings!

Registration begins March 15, 2011, at 12 p.m. EST.

To take advantage of the savings, be sure you
register online by May 15, 2011,
and use coupon code XXXXXXXXX

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom