Mansion stretch room too frightening for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessFairest

Original Poster
We recently returned from a 11 day Disney trip March 4 - 14. Exhausting but worth every minute of it. yet there are a few things I noticed and am concerned about, mainly the Haunted Mansion stretch room toward the beginning of the attraction. This was the first trip for our only daughter faire age 5. We thought this would be a good age for her first visit as it would be when she would be old enough to remember alot of the magic yet young enough to believe in the magic. One thing that really got her upset and in tears was the opening scene to Haunted Mansion at MagicKingdom. We never expected there would be a few moments of total darkness plus the lightning and scream nearly sent her into a fit. Disney is a place for families with children!!!!! I was appalled at how no cast member told us we probably should not take her into that scene. We spoke to a cast member at the ride exit who smiled to cheer her up, but still that beginning scene needs to either be changed or removed if disney is going to market as a family park for children. The rest of the ride is amazing, as our little princess faire could sit close to mommy and daddy if scared and there was no pitch black darkness. The music was fun and the characters inside the ride were more appropriate for children during most of the scenes. The beginning however really disturbed her and made her not wanting to ride too much more that day as she was still in shock of the total darkness. The majority of our vacation was great besides that one moment of terror in my daughters eyes. Please consider an update or change in the stretch room, maybe just to remove the total darkness to take into consideration the emotions and vulnerability of the child. When older she will learn to appreciate the ride for what it is as a classic.

slappy magoo

-snip-
We spoke to a cast member at the ride exit who smiled to cheer her up, but still that beginning scene needs to either be changed or removed if disney is going to market as a family park for children...
-snip-
Please consider an update or change in the stretch room, maybe just to remove the total darkness to take into consideration the emotions and vulnerability of the child. When older she will learn to appreciate the ride for what it is as a classic.

1: Welcome to the forum.
2: This forum is not owned, operated by or directly affiliated with anyone who works for/with Walt Disney World. We can consider all sorts of things but can't make changes even if we agreed with your suggestion.
3: Do you honestly think one scary segment of one ride that's decades old is the thing that's preventing Walt Disney World from tapping into that lucrative "family park for children" market?
Not everything should be made for everybody.

Goofyernmost

We recently returned from a 11 day Disney trip March 4 - 14. Exhausting but worth every minute of it. yet there are a few things I noticed and am concerned about, mainly the Haunted Mansion stretch room toward the beginning of the attraction. This was the first trip for our only daughter faire age 5. We thought this would be a good age for her first visit as it would be when she would be old enough to remember alot of the magic yet young enough to believe in the magic. One thing that really got her upset and in tears was the opening scene to Haunted Mansion at MagicKingdom. We never expected there would be a few moments of total darkness plus the lightning and scream nearly sent her into a fit. Disney is a place for families with children!!!!! I was appalled at how no cast member told us we probably should not take her into that scene. We spoke to a cast member at the ride exit who smiled to cheer her up, but still that beginning scene needs to either be changed or removed if disney is going to market as a family park for children. The rest of the ride is amazing, as our little princess faire could sit close to mommy and daddy if scared and there was no pitch black darkness. The music was fun and the characters inside the ride were more appropriate for children during most of the scenes. The beginning however really disturbed her and made her not wanting to ride too much more that day as she was still in shock of the total darkness. The majority of our vacation was great besides that one moment of terror in my daughters eyes. Please consider an update or change in the stretch room, maybe just to remove the total darkness to take into consideration the emotions and vulnerability of the child. When older she will learn to appreciate the ride for what it is as a classic.
That particular scene has played out hundreds of times a day for almost 60 years now and to my knowledge no child has ever been lost or injured in the process.

I understand your desire to protect her from scary things, but, all that is really necessary is reassuring words that it is just make-believe and not real and they are just loud noises and nothing to be scared about. That won't stop them from being scared, but, it will lighten the blow a little. It's a haunted house, surely, that give a clue that it might be scary for someone that doesn't understand fantasy from reality. If you looked around the room I'm sure you noticed that the percentage of really young children is pretty small compared to the adults in the room. Not everything can be tailored to a child of that age, but, there are plenty of other things that are available to her as well.

She will eventually learn the fun of it as my children did. I never thought of it when I first went with my daughters. The youngest was just a little over 6 years old. She held my hand throughout the ride from beginning til the end. She never made a sound. About three years later we made second trip to WDW so before we left I asked if there was anything special that they wanted to see again. She looked at me and said... I've never seen the Haunted Mansion so I'd like to go to that. I corrected her and said that we had indeed been there on our first visit. Her reply was... Yes, I know, but I had my eyes closed the whole time, so this time I would like to actually see it. She did and she loved it.

As much as we would like, we cannot always protect our children, no matter their age, from scary things. What better place is there to deal with that then the relative safety of a Disney Park.

By the way, it's an awfully good thing that she didn't look up during that final scream, because, that is the only real scary part as far as I'm concerned.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Each kid is different. Mine had zero problem with that part.

She was terrified of Bug's Life but I see zero reason to petition to change it
This was my kiddo exactly. She thought the mansion room was cool, but those bugs scurrying across the seat sent her into the floor into the fetal position. I have seen other kids scared when meeting characters. I consider all of these things, kid friendly, but kids are afraid of different things, such is life.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Freaking joke. Get a grip.

mouse_luv

589ad4d07cca7b5fc70ba2f27b40468b.jpg

Don't even get me started OP. Instead of going on about a classic, and one of the best themed attractions in the Parks and trying to change it (I'll say this nicely, you're nuts). You should know that it's called "the Haunted Mansion" and take heed with your kiddo(Oh I'm sorry, your "fairest" :rolleyes:), and know that she may be scared of "something" in there. What did you think the HM was going to be about, happy happy joy joy?! You have seriously got to be kidding me with this. :facepalm:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My son no problem. My daughter is fine except for loud noises. I always keep her close and remind her to cover her ears right before the scream at the end. I also never throw my kids into a "scary" ride blind. I showed them ride clips of the mansion and we talked about how silly the ghosts were etc.
So what your saying is you prepared them for the experience.

mousehockey37

KATIEBUG HAS RETURNED!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess this person wants a free vacation like our buddy who saw the employee swabbing the decks and tables with the same mop! Don't think Disney's gonna bite on this one!

If your kid is afraid of pitch black... don't ride the Peoplemover.... heavens knows that there's aliens in there because Buzz has to hire all those Galactic Space Rangers to take out Zurg and the evilness...

yd6dz.jpg

halltd

I don't think they'd be happy haunts anymore... That's what... lol
Right? I can't remember when they upgraded the audio in that room to what it is now (like the traveling audio), but when I first heard it, I got goosebumps even though I'd heard the spiel like a bazillion times before. The effect was just do, so, so, so, so, so, good!!!!! I freakin' love that room!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom