Managing Family & Friends in MDE

anchorman314

Original Poster
I'm in charge of managing my family's trip in terms of tickets/FP+/MDE, but I've run into a small roadblock that Disney's email support was slightly less than helpful with. So I'm hoping that one of the many great minds here will know the answer.

We are a party of all adults, split over two reservations. I have both reservations and all the guests linked in my MDE account, with the correct guests on each reservation. So far, so good. We've also travelled together in the past, so I was going to inactivate our old MagicBands and tickets, just to clean things up. However, one of the guests has her own MDE account, so I don't have access to her MB and ticket info. On the Family & Friends page of MDE, she is the only guest that doesn't have anything listed in the column where the other guests have "Plans managed by me".

I can walk her through inactivating her old ticket and MB, but I'm a bit worried what's going to happen when I go to make FP+. Is there something that either she or I need to do to allow me to make FP+ for her? Or at least something that she can check on her end to see if I can make plans for her?

JaxFLBear

I can walk her through inactivating her old ticket and MB, but I'm a bit worried what's going to happen when I go to make FP+. Is there something that either she or I need to do to allow me to make FP+ for her? Or at least something that she can check on her end to see if I can make plans for her?
As long as she has valid park admission linked to her MDE account, you can make FP+ selections for her.

Rob562

I'm in charge of managing my family's trip in terms of tickets/FP+/MDE, but I've run into a small roadblock that Disney's email support was slightly less than helpful with. So I'm hoping that one of the many great minds here will know the answer.

We are a party of all adults, split over two reservations. I have both reservations and all the guests linked in my MDE account, with the correct guests on each reservation. So far, so good. We've also travelled together in the past, so I was going to inactivate our old MagicBands and tickets, just to clean things up. However, one of the guests has her own MDE account, so I don't have access to her MB and ticket info. On the Family & Friends page of MDE, she is the only guest that doesn't have anything listed in the column where the other guests have "Plans managed by me".

So just to clarify....

This person is listed both in *your* profile as a "managed by you" profile *and* they have their own profile under their own login info?

If so, you're not actually connected and you *will* have troubles down the road. The simplest solution is to send your friend a friend request. Go into their listing on *your* account, and use the "invite to plan and share" function. Make sure you use the email address your friend uses for their account.

Once they get the request and accept it, any reservations or MagicBands listed for them on *your* account will automatically move over to *their* account and be managed by them. You'll then be all set to make their FP+ reservations for them when the time comes. (FP+ is a function of simply being friends, not necessarily that you must control their account)

And as a follow-up on another item you mentioned, there's really no reason to "clean up" old tickets and MagicBands on peoples' accounts. As long as they still have the Bands, they can still be used on the new trip. Any and all bands listed under a person's profile and be used interchangeably at any time. (I currently have 6 Bands on my account and used all of them at one point or another over the course of my last trip)

If they no longer have the old bands, then by all means go ahead and deactivate and delete them.
The other reason to deactivate is that Disney suggests you only have 8-10 Bands active on your profile at one time. The door locks can get tripped up if they're given too many serial numbers to allow access.

-Rob

anchorman314

Original Poster
Thank you both for the help and suggestions!

So just to clarify....

This person is listed both in *your* profile as a "managed by you" profile *and* they have their own profile under their own login info?

If so, you're not actually connected and you *will* have troubles down the road. The simplest solution is to send your friend a friend request. Go into their listing on *your* account, and use the "invite to plan and share" function. Make sure you use the email address your friend uses for their account.

Once they get the request and accept it, any reservations or MagicBands listed for them on *your* account will automatically move over to *their* account and be managed by them. You'll then be all set to make their FP+ reservations for them when the time comes. (FP+ is a function of simply being friends, not necessarily that you must control their account)

And as a follow-up on another item you mentioned, there's really no reason to "clean up" old tickets and MagicBands on peoples' accounts. As long as they still have the Bands, they can still be used on the new trip. Any and all bands listed under a person's profile and be used interchangeably at any time. (I currently have 6 Bands on my account and used all of them at one point or another over the course of my last trip)

If they no longer have the old bands, then by all means go ahead and deactivate and delete them.
The other reason to deactivate is that Disney suggests you only have 8-10 Bands active on your profile at one time. The door locks can get tripped up if they're given too many serial numbers to allow access.

-Rob
Luckily, no. She is not listed as a 'managed by [me]' profile. (Everyone else is, but that's ok with them. ;)) I'm almost positive we took care of the inviting aspect after our last trip so she could have easier access to the PhotoPass images. Since that was after the trip, I hadn't thought about the FP+ aspect of things until this trip rolled around. It sounds like we should be all set for me handling all the FP+s when our window opens. And based off of your (excellent) explanation, all she'll need to do is add her ticket to her account, while I add the other tickets to everyone else using my account.

Dr.GrantSeeker

I am usually the trip planner for all of our Disney vacations, and since MDE has rolled out I've accumulated many friends and magic bands. Basically a lot of clutter on my account. I have friends on my list that I manage and know I will not be traveling with them again. Of course Disney's site will not let me remove them because they had tickets and reservations at one point. If I call the help line will they actually remove them from my list for me? I know it may not seem like a big deal but it really bothers me lol

My oh my how my list of Magic Bands has grown!! I have 20 plus MBs on my account. Many of which I've turned in to the front desk to be recycled and no longer have. I've marked them as inactive and the CMs behind the desk say that is as good as deleting them....FALSE. On my last Disney trip I had 2 of my active MBs with me and neither of them worked on my hotel room door. If I call Disney's helpline will the remove MBs from my list? Does anyone have an experience with calling on behalf of these same problems? Thanks!

Rob562

I am usually the trip planner for all of our Disney vacations, and since MDE has rolled out I've accumulated many friends and magic bands. Basically a lot of clutter on my account. I have friends on my list that I manage and know I will not be traveling with them again. Of course Disney's site will not let me remove them because they had tickets and reservations at one point. If I call the help line will they actually remove them from my list for me? I know it may not seem like a big deal but it really bothers me lol

My oh my how my list of Magic Bands has grown!! I have 20 plus MBs on my account. Many of which I've turned in to the front desk to be recycled and no longer have. I've marked them as inactive and the CMs behind the desk say that is as good as deleting them....FALSE. On my last Disney trip I had 2 of my active MBs with me and neither of them worked on my hotel room door. If I call Disney's helpline will the remove MBs from my list? Does anyone have an experience with calling on behalf of these same problems? Thanks!

To answer your first question....

The ideal answer is to get each of your friends to make their own MDE account and "take ownership" of themselves from you. Any tickets, reservations, Bands, etc will move over to their account and you will then be free to un-friend them as needed. Perhaps put out a note to those friends saying their Bands will become unusable for any future trips if they say no.

But I know that often people have no interest in doing that, especially if they have no plans to go back to WDW anytime soon. Or, in my own case, you have a friend's now-ex-wife listed on your MDE account as a managed-by-you profile and you just want to get her off of it without trying to track her down to become "real friends" on MDE...

So here's what I did to get the ex-wife: (This is much simpler if you have access to two separate computers at one time so you can stay logged in as yourself on one of them)

First, get a temporary email address through https://10minutemail.com This will give you a free email account that will "self destruct" after 10 minutes (you can also extend it in extra 10 minute increments as needed) The page will also act as an "inbox" so you can still respond to the "please verify your account's email address" when signing up.

Then go onto the MDE site and create a brand new account using that temp email address and the person's name. There will probably be one of those "confirm your account email" messages that you have to wait to show up on the 10minutemail page.

Once that's confirmed, go into *your* account and use "invite to plan and share" and fill in the temporary email address.

Log into the temporary email's MDE account and accept the friend request from your main account. At that point the Bands and other info will move over to that account. You are then free to un-friend that profile on your own account and never have to deal with it ever again.

What remains is a ghost profile on the MDE server that I presume Disney will either let rot, or will eventually clean up as an unused/abandoned account, especially since all emails to the temp address will start bouncing once the email self-destructs.

-Rob

Dr.GrantSeeker

I know chances are they aren't going to be making an account and I have that similar ex-wife situation as well. I will give that temporary email thing a try. Thanks Rob!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom