Maleficent Sequel on the way?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Good gosh I hope not. Leave the live action reboots alone Disney!

The only "retelling" I like that Disney has done has been Once Upon a Time, where it's a "different universe" tale.

216bruce

For me..great. I've enjoyed Maleficent, Cinderella and Oz. We still have the 'original' versions of all of these- movies, books, fables, etc. Liking one shouldn't exclude liking the other. They were all well done, just different. The new "Cinderella" was just outstanding and for me much more satisfying than the animated one. I'm keeping an open mind on all of these projects- why limit yourself?

FigmentForver96

Didn't they do enough with the first one?? Like what was suppose to be the story from her side simply turned to a retelling of the entire story to make her look misunderstood. By far the worst live action remake they have made up to this point. (That includes Alice)

disneypearl

That would be an interesting choice. I really disliked the movie Maleficent. I was expecting to like it, but really thought it was stretching it to be any resemblance to the original character. Maybe that was the point but the movie was lost on me.

I really enjoyed OZ and Cinderella though. They were fun and played along well wih rhe originals. Alice was good too.

Bairstow

The sequel to Maleficent will be her traveling to Neverland, becoming the leader of the lost boys, defeating Captain Hook, and bringing Tinkerbell back to life.
Oh, and all the Indians are CGI.

Sped2424

Yet another live action fairytale added to the list. When is iger going to hold the conference to just announce the new Disney Fairytale Live action universe so we can see the eventual avengers esq team up of Cinderella, Alice, Maleficent, and whomever gets a movie.

216bruce

Didn't they do enough with the first one?? Like what was suppose to be the story from her side simply turned to a retelling of the entire story to make her look misunderstood. By far the worst live action remake they have made up to this point. (That includes Alice)
It depends on the story, the director and their "spin" and vision on the story. I thought Cinderella, due to Branagh and his style was fantastic. I was never a big fan of Thor in the comics but the first film of Thor was just a beautiful and grand vision of a comic book. It felt much more serious and less 'comic-booky'. Cinderella was an adult version of a simple fable. It felt much more grown-up- all due to Branagh. A Dumbo live -action? I don't know...Burton seems like a weird fit for it, but I'm willing to give it a chance. There still isn't a GREAT Alice movie. The animated one is interesting and certainly memorable for a lot of reasons but the book is a tough road to hoe as a film. The Chernabog based Fantasia spin-off is really, really an interesting idea and could be a classic gothic horror film 'ala a Todd Browning type Dracula. None of the Disney canon films are purely 'original'- even much of Fantasia was centered on music that was story-based; and they are all the "Walt Disney" version of books, stories and music. Most would be hard to top- but given the right director, story and execution could be worth seeing. Maleficent was, to me, just an alternative version and, like I said, the originals still exist for us to cherish. It was a gorgeous looking film (maybe the creepy looking fairies weren't so hot), but it was sure interesting to at least consider and overall I enjoyed it- certainly visually.

Like was stated elsewhere in this thread- folks seem to like these for the most part and they do good, sometimes really good box office. We as Disney nuts have a tendency to be rather stubborn to accept other versions of things we cherish, and I get that, I really do. But I'm a also a film fan and I understand that a good director CAN make a solid but 'different' version of something.

Californian Elitist

I just finished watching Maleficent for the first time maybe twenty minutes ago. It was appalling and a disgrace to its superior cartoon predecessor. The story was all bad, there was really no character development, the three fairies were so annoying and horrible! Their names weren't even kept. Maleficent is a softie now? WHAT? One of the best Disney-adapted villains has feelings? I can't accept that. Phillip was pointless in the film, as well as Aurora, for the most part. Stefan was irritating as well. The whole movie was. I don't mind re-tellings of classic stories, if they're well-written and well thought out. Maleficent fails at both.

This sequel will be just another cash grab, just like the first one. Good job, Disney.

216bruce

There are two side to every story...gosh! ;):p
To me the fairies were more seen as bumbling and somewhat incompetent, but well-intentioned. The whole point of the movie was to show 'why' Maleficent became who she became. It's sort of like the intention of the Star Wars prequels- Darth Vader started out as a good little kid and, like a lot of people, due to what happens to them and the influence of others they take a turn towards evil. It makes the character more interesting for sure and more complex. Do you have to like Vader and Maleficent? No, but it does shed some light on them. I agree with you that there are two sides (at least) to every story. Now, when I watch Sleeping Beauty I can't help but think about Maleficent and her story too. It improved my appreciation of her. Both of these movies are gorgeous and great to watch, but have different appeals.

Bairstow

I think the faeries were portrayed as bumbling because in Maleficent's movie, no one is allowed to be courageous, caring, smart, capable, interesting, or witty besides Maleficent herself.

GrumpyFan

There's more to the story? This just doesn't sound like a good idea.
I mean, Maleficent was good, but I didn't think it was THAT good, nor that it left enough room in the story line for a sequel.
I guess we'll have to wait and see though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom