Making a career out of WDW

rk03221

Original Poster
So I am a full time cm wanting to make a career out of Disney world, my goal for right now is to move up and become a GSM. I am currently a trainer and I hope to get coordinator and then from there become a manager, I want to do Merchandise or Food and Beverage just because of my past experience, I am currently doing attractions. Does anyone have any advice? Is it worth it? Any information helps, thanks!

rk03221

Original Poster
Well I just want to live comfortably, I know they don't get paid a whole lot and Disney doesn't really in general but I was thinking since both me and my girlfriend want to be gsm it might be a good living. We both want a career with Disney

WDWHMHUNTER

I'm kinda thinking the same idea on how hard it would be to move up through the ranks at Disney, Like being a teacher in NY is great but If my family moves down there I would like to follow. I feel like 60-70k would be comfortable any suggestions ?

rk03221

Original Poster
Most managers I know, in food and beverage, merch, park ops etc. don't have a degree or they are going to school and finishing, you don't need a degree to become a guest service manager, I would get promoted through the ranks, I am currently a trainer, getting coordinator soon and then management. I am currently in school part time anyways. They make 33k a year or $635 a week, which they are salaried.

Last edited:

jakeman

Most managers I know, in food and beverage, merch, park ops etc. don't have a degree or they are going to school and finishing, you don't need a degree to become a guest service manager, I would get promoted through the ranks, I am currently a trainer, getting coordinator soon and then management. I am currently in school part time anyways. They make 33k a year or $635 a week, which they are salaried.
A 40 hour week would work out to just under $16 an hour, or (not to get political, just a comparison) just about what the line workers in the fast food industry are clamoring for.

The trade off is that you are working for Disney. The question is, is the managerial aspect of working at Disney worth the potential 50% pay cut that you would take working as a manager at another retail chain?

rk03221

Original Poster
You are correct akayw0718, if you don't have a degree or degrees like yourself it is almost impossible to be making that kind of money working for Disney. But I don't think it would be a bad income If both of us were making 33k a year, however we are still young, so I can't say that it definitely would, so I appreciate all the information

CtDisneyGuy33

Look, I know I may be the voice of "unreason", but there is a value to doing what you feel you will enjoy, which is usually far more than a salary.

You guys seem young, take a flyer on it. You may be there a year and get sick of it or the money really becomes an issue and you find a different job.

I might be getting old (or at least feel it) but recently with many of my friends getting divorced, having financial issues and some actually meeting their creator, I've come to realize being happy has far more of a place than it once did. You only live once, I say try it. Good Luck

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Look, I know I may be the voice of "unreason", but there is a value to doing what you feel you will enjoy, which is usually far more than a salary.

You guys seem young, take a flyer on it. You may be there a year and get sick of it or the money really becomes an issue and you find a different job.

I might be getting old (or at least feel it) but recently with many of my friends getting divorced, having financial issues and some actually meeting their creator, I've come to realize being happy has far more of a place than it once did. You only live once, I say try it. Good Luck
You need to be able to buy food, shelter, and clothing before you can aspire to self-actualization or any other pie-in-the-sky ideals.

CtDisneyGuy33

Absolutely - I'm not saying live below the poverty line. All I meant was as younger people, they can "make a mistake" whereas as you get older, you really cant. If this job is a mistake, live and learn.

When I came out of law school, I was so driven by $$ that I took several jobs I hated with a passion. I could make a mistake back then, leave a job and find another...it gets tougher when you have more obligations.

But you are right, not having the life essentials is not the best move at any time. Everyone's definition of "living comfortably " is different... but those are basics.

rk03221

Original Poster
That's for the input, i love working for Disney and I want to work my way up, but I don't want to work my way up to a job that can't pay the bills, it wouldn't be worth it to me. My definition of living comfortably would be living a normal middle class life, I don't expect to be rich or anything I just want to be financially stable.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's for the input, i love working for Disney and I want to work my way up, but I don't want to work my way up to a job that can't pay the bills, it wouldn't be worth it to me. My definition of living comfortably would be living a normal middle class life, I don't expect to be rich or anything I just want to be financially stable.
You can work your way up, but there will be a natural cap on your ability to advance if you don't have a college degree.

rk03221

Original Poster
Yes absolutely, that's why I plan on finishing college when I get to that point, I only have two years to go to finish my bachelors but my student loans are paid off so I hope to enroll in disneys tuition reimbursement program when the time comes, Its nice not to be in any debt at the moment lol

rk03221

Original Poster
Yea I don't want to be in debt so I would love to take a cheaper alternative route, especially if it's with Disney.

Last edited:

Arthur Wellesley

I gotta admit this is one of the best posts I have read here in a long, long time. In the grand scheme of things, there is so much truth to this!

WDWHMHUNTER

Awesome !!!, thanks for the advice I do have my masters degree so thank god for that lol, I was a cop for a couple of yrs in nypd so even if I have to take Orange County Sheriffs Dept that would be perfect since there building the new hq behind downtown disney and then patrol in disney win win !!

rk03221

Original Poster
Awesome !!!, thanks for the advice I do have my masters degree so thank god for that lol, I was a cop for a couple of yrs in nypd so even if I have to take Orange County Sheriffs Dept that would be perfect since there building the new hq behind downtown disney and then patrol in disney win win !!

Good luck!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom