Makin' memories
Makin' memories
Takin' pictures is makin' memories
Catchin' little pieces of time
Makin' them yours and makin' them mine
Great vacations and celebrations we love to hold near and dear
And when we're makin' memories
Happy days can reappear!

@amjt660 it seemed a little presumptuous of me to include Three Peat in the title of this trip report. A more accurate term might be Repeat, considering this is my third TR in three months. I am fearful that my WDWMagic friends may be weary of me.

But for @Big Hair and anyone else who wants to follow along, Welcome! I truly love reliving our great (and not-so-great) vacation memories through writing these reports. As always, your comments and observations are much appreciated!

So c'mon everybody, here we go........

Cast: Tuvalu, Woody and Em
Dates: June 17-25, 2017
Resorts: Port Orleans Riverside and Polynesian Village ('cause let's be honest......you can take the girl out of the Poly, but you can't take the Poly out of the girl!)

IMG_8860.JPG

(Does this picture make you woozy? It is an appropriate representation of my Pandora experience.)

Stick around to discover what memories we made!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
When the POR bus finally arrived there was an audible cheer from our line. Passengers got off the bus but no one was allowed to board for several minutes. A transport CM walked over to the bus and had a conversation with the driver and then we were able to climb aboard. Ten minutes passed and the bus did not move. A few people in the front of the bus (we were in back) got off. We began to hear murmurings of "wrong bus." Then more people got off.

Wrong bus? The bus signage said POR and it was at the correct gate.

The transport CM called out, "Wrong bus! Everyone needs to get off."

Are you kidding me? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hey! Get with the "magic" will ya, Tuvalu?!!! :p

MySmallWorldof4

Saturday, June 17

Woody is not a fan of flying. He has spent a good part of his career in the air (he's a Delta million miler) and would prefer to drive to WDW. He feels a car journey is more relaxing and puts him in a vacation mood.

Em and I are the opposite. We want to BE THERE NOW and flying gets us there faster....except when you live within 8 hours driving distance, flying really only saves a couple hours. But each hour spent in the world is better than one that isn't, am I right??!!

When our kids were growing up we always drove to WDW and suffered through many hours of rain, traffic delays, construction slowdowns and BOREDOM. (Can you relate? I know @TheMouseFan can!) However back in 1995, Woody had enough frequent flier miles to fly the 5 of us to Orlando.

Here is little Em on her very first airplane ride.
View attachment 212745
(For you moms out there, yeah she's sporting Gymboree :))

Driving continued to be our primary mode of transport until Southwest entered the Atlanta market a few years ago. With $49 fares, it was almost cheaper for Woody and I to fly than drive. I was happy. He was not. In addition to disliking air travel, he dislikes Southwest. But he loves me enough to agree to fly. :inlove:

This trip I compromised and spent the extra money to fly Delta. The plane took off late and our row (in the middle of the plane) did not receive beverage service because the flight attendants were chatty with each other instead of working....we even watched as one snacked on a bag of peanuts while standing beside us! The captain announced our approach and the cart was whisked away as my throat grew even more parched. (Water! I just want a sip of water!)

That has never happened on Southwest.

We landed and I practically dashed to a water fountain. A quick ride on the fonorail ("fake monorail" a la @Doc Disney) and we were here ~

View attachment 212734

View attachment 212735

It's always a bit nerve wracking wondering what crowds we're about to encounter at Disney's Magical Express. You may remember DME pictures from my previous reports that resemble Wal-Mart on Black Friday. Those pictures were taken on a Saturday afternoon.

It was Saturday afternoon.

Did you hear that? A big collective sigh of relief from the Tuvalu family. Cause this is what it looked like ~

View attachment 212736

I would ask, "Guess where we're going?" but I already told you which resort.
View attachment 212737

You're going to see a different side of Woody this trip. A playful side. Starting now.

View attachment 212739

Even with construction, this is still a happy sight!

View attachment 212742

After stops at Old Key West, Saratoga Springs and PO French Quarter we finally arrived at PO Riverside.

View attachment 212743

View attachment 212744

I had received our room number text while on the bus so we skipped the front desk. Riverside is a sentimental family favorite as we spent our 90s vacations here. Will we remember our 2017 stay with the same fondness?
@TrolleyFollower91 looked adorable on her first plane ride. Love the Gymboree! My favorite company for when all my kids were little.:)

Love the throw back picture! Gymboree is sadly filed bankruptcy:(
Ugh! This makes me sad!:cry: I loved their colorful outfits. I wrote to them once saying they needed to add larger sizes past 12. My 2 older ones have just recently outgrown this size.:(

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
No worries for little Tuvalette @Tuvalu.:) http://nypost.com/2017/06/23/gymborees-lenders-working-on-comeback-strategy-for-retailer/
Out of guilt I went on their website this morning.:p
Fingers crossed!

I love all the older family pictures. Notice I said older and not old. ;)
There may be a few more to come....;)

I don't think I've ever commented on one of your trip reports yet, but...I WANT YOUR LIFE!!
Nice to meet you, @drcasey :) Thanks for following!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi! We just got back from our trip and I was happy to see you have started your report, I will start mine soon. I kept an eye out at the start of our trip for Tuvalu and gang but didn't seem to spot you. I hope you had a good time!
Em and I both kept an eye out for you. We want you to know that your body double sat in front (we were in back) of our car in Journey into Imagination. We knew it couldn't be you because the guy next to her wasn't Brad.....unless there's something you'd like to share? ;) :joyfull:

I'm in! Better late than never...
< In my best Ellen voice > Where have you been?

newhorizons1

Not a great way to start your trip off with Delta! That really surprises me that you would get such awful service from them.

And I love that photo of your husband and daughter on her first plane ride. So sweet!

I love flying too, but yes, being 7.5 hours away makes it hard to justify. I just feel so much more refreshed arriving when I fly down than I do having to be cooped up in a car that entire time.

Following along!

DisneyGigi

I love, love, love the throwback photos! We have been to Disney World one time without either of the kids, and we had a ball, but around every corner there was a memory! I cried and smiled, at the same time. I am absolutely over the moon to be going back with my son and 2 grandsons. I can't wait to share and make new memories with my youngest grandson, will be his first trip, but also watch my *little boy* show him all the things we did together, over the years.
Your reports are always amazing and they kept me going during our absences from the park. Looking forward to the rest of the report!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Em and I both kept an eye out for you. We want you to know that your body double sat in front (we were in back) of our car in Journey into Imagination. We knew it couldn't be you because the guy next to her wasn't Brad.....unless there's something you'd like to share? ;) :joyfull:

< In my best Ellen voice > Where have you been?

Nope wasn't us. The only time we did Imagination we had the whole thing to ourselves. No exciting stories, Brad was with me...most of the time.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not a great way to start your trip off with Delta! That really surprises me that you would get such awful service from them.!
Woody had flown Delta three times that week and His experience with all three flights was HORRIBLE. He sent off a few comments and was contacted by someone who "promised to make things right" when we got home from vacation. Needless to say, nothing happened.
"Customer No Service" at its finest. :rolleyes:

O No! :arghh: So sorry for you guys!
Thank goodness for hot showers :joyfull:
Yup....we've got to take the bad with the good!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I love, love, love the throwback photos! We have been to Disney World one time without either of the kids, and we had a ball, but around every corner there was a memory! I cried and smiled, at the same time. I am absolutely over the moon to be going back with my son and 2 grandsons. I can't wait to share and make new memories with my youngest grandson, will be his first trip, but also watch my *little boy* show him all the things we did together, over the years.
Your reports are always amazing and they kept me going during our absences from the park. Looking forward to the rest of the report!
Woody and I began "parents only" WDW trips when our kids were young, so I grew accustomed to not missing them being with us. Sure our family trips were special and we made lots of memories ~ but so were our child-free ones. We were blessed to be able to do both. And how blessed you are being able to take your grandsons!! That will be the BEST vacation of all!!! I have awhile before seeing Disney through Tuvalette's eyes, but I can't wait.

Nope wasn't us. The only time we did Imagination we had the whole thing to ourselves. No exciting stories, Brad was with me...most of the time.
:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom