Makin' memories
Makin' memories
Takin' pictures is makin' memories
Catchin' little pieces of time
Makin' them yours and makin' them mine
Great vacations and celebrations we love to hold near and dear
And when we're makin' memories
Happy days can reappear!

@amjt660 it seemed a little presumptuous of me to include Three Peat in the title of this trip report. A more accurate term might be Repeat, considering this is my third TR in three months. I am fearful that my WDWMagic friends may be weary of me.

But for @Big Hair and anyone else who wants to follow along, Welcome! I truly love reliving our great (and not-so-great) vacation memories through writing these reports. As always, your comments and observations are much appreciated!

So c'mon everybody, here we go........

Cast: Tuvalu, Woody and Em
Dates: June 17-25, 2017
Resorts: Port Orleans Riverside and Polynesian Village ('cause let's be honest......you can take the girl out of the Poly, but you can't take the Poly out of the girl!)

IMG_8860.JPG

(Does this picture make you woozy? It is an appropriate representation of my Pandora experience.)

Stick around to discover what memories we made!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Let's go see Launch Bay!" said Em never.
Except today. :jawdrop:

She has never seen Star Wars. Not that she never had the opportunity ~ her brothers owned every VHS cassette (then DVD and Blu-Ray) of the episodic saga. To be fair, I have only seen Star Wars once ~ in 1977 on the big screen. (Back in the day when movie theaters had BIG screens!) I remember being bored and must have passed it through my DNA to Em.

Woody, on the other hand, is a member of the masses who have kept Star Wars insanely popular for over 40 years. Em wanted him to experience Launch Bay.

IMG_8603.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

IMG_4378.JPG

IMG_4379.JPG

A couple Stormtroopers showed up while we were waiting in line to meet Chewbacca.
IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_8608.PNG

We liked the chatter of BB-8.
IMG_8609.JPG

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Tuesday, June 20

A non-stop 12 hours of Disney fun day! And no rain, yay!

The morning started off better in that I did not hit my head against the bedside lamp. :) However when I went down to the lounge to scope out the breakfast situation it was a madhouse again ~ so I walked right over to Capt. Cooks for chocolate chip muffins and yogurt. Unbeknownst to me, @ajrwdwgirl was dining upstairs at the Kona Cafe.....I was thisclose to meeting another WDWMagic friend!

Woody and Em were up when I returned and we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the room.

The madhouse I had encountered earlier in the lounge paled in comparison to the utter chaos at the bus stop. Clearly, no buses had been by to pick up guests in a long time!
View attachment 215164
(The bus boarding area begins under the huts. This shot shows only a fraction of the guests waiting for a bus.)

A bus finally arrived.....a Disney Springs bus. Of course no one was going to DS at 8:45 am! The next bus to arrive was for AK and a few people boarded. There was another bus drought for several minutes when lo and behold......another Disney Springs bus! Followed by not one, not two but three AK buses in rapid succession.

We DHS people were getting ready to revolt.

To recap: During a 45-minute wait at the bus stop, there were 4 AK buses and 2 DS buses to arrive and depart. Not a single DHS bus.

The "helpful" intern was anything but. Why aren't interns allowed to summon a much-needed bus? He tried to keep order by having all DHS goers form a line, but there were so many of us that it was impossible. Tempers were riding high when the holy grail appeared.

And then bus door closed when Woody, Em and I were next in line to board. :mad:

I looked at Woody and muttered, "Uber!" Just as he was opening the app another DHS bus arrived. We knew we'd be the first ones on.

Until the ECV pulled up. :banghead:

Finally on our way!
View attachment 215165

By the time we arrived at DHS, two CMs were rolling up the red carpet ~ "Shirley" would not be making an entrance today. :(

However, Tink did show up to sprinkle her pixie dust.
View attachment 215166

Reasons why we always get a rental car. :)

The green army men were wandering around and I stopped to watch.

View attachment 215180
(Ok @wdisney9000 ~ real service dog or not?)

I tried to peek over the fence at the end of Pixar Place but this was all I could see:
View attachment 215184

Cruz Ramirez has a meet and greet next to the exit of the third track for TSMM.
View attachment 215181

The woman was wearing a funny tee: Running Late is My Cardio
(Be honest, how many of you can relate?)

I passed by a family studying the DHS Guide Map. Sarge (leader of the green army men) snuck up behind them and said, "You look lost."
Mom: "We are."
Sarge: "Well right now you're in the toy box. Where do you want to be?"
Mom was speechless.

Gotta love Sarge!

Do gotta love Sarge, and that woman's tee--I need it!!

grayish-purple dryer lint? :hungover:

Why did I read this as "flying purple people eater"? Must be my age is showing. :eek:

As our elevator plunged down for the second time the boy in front of us screamed in terror: "This is what happens when you're bad!!!"

That sounds like a well-trained child. :cautious:

For the record, ToT was one and done for me. :p

Matt and Kelly

I reunited with the concert goers in front of a gift store on Sunset Blvd.

Who wants to eat bagged grayish-purple dryer lint? :hungover:
View attachment 215193

View attachment 215194
Seriously, do people buy this stuff?

We went inside the store to look around. Em found "the perfect shirt for Tuvalette."

Remember this picture three years from now when Tuvalette is big enough to wear it!
View attachment 215195
(Tuvalette's mama is a huge BATB fan.)

Lennon is obsessed with dumbo, so I'm sure she will want it just for the bag.

Big Hair

I too am a mean mommy. Glad to know I'm not alone!! ;)
Also, love the plastic tablecloth idea. Brilliant!
I am guilty of the back pack syndrome. Water bottle, rain ponchos, electronics, spare change of clothes(depending on the length of day and activities), snacks, and room for whatever I pick up in the park(s). I always am worried about hitting somebody moving around with the back pack and usually do a little no matter how I try not to.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I am guilty of the back pack syndrome. Water bottle, rain ponchos, electronics, spare change of clothes(depending on the length of day and activities), snacks, and room for whatever I pick up in the park(s). I always am worried about hitting somebody moving around with the back pack and usually do a little no matter how I try not to.
Can one plan too much?

Generally my issue is packing as much as I can in as little as space as possible to foresee every possible outcome (most of which likely won't happen).

I appreciate others who think and feel the same!

Big Hair

Can one plan too much?

Generally my issue is packing as much as I can in as little as space as possible to foresee every possible outcome (most of which likely won't happen).

I appreciate others who think and feel the same!
I hear you. Maybe we can get counseling. Oh well, too late for me but when that magic unexpected moment comes up and you save the day by pulling the rabbit out of your hat (backpack) its a feel good moment.

Big Hair

The three of us split up for our first attractions ~ Woody and Em went their way and I went mine.

It was marvelous to see the Great Movie Ride without the stage in front of it.
View attachment 215170

The artificial "rolling" bushes always make me smile.
View attachment 215171

I read that this will be the entrance to Toy Story Land.
View attachment 215172

View attachment 215173

I've arrived.
View attachment 215174

You may remember I am a *tad* competitive. Woody and Em prefer not to witness that side of me.

View attachment 215175

This is up there with my personal bests.
View attachment 215176

Don't wanna brag but.......
View attachment 215178
I sent a challenge out to my entourage to beat your score. I don't think we can practice enough to even think about getting close but we can try.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Saturday, con't

Years ago we had to stay in the Alligator Bayou section (or "slave quarters" as my oldest calls it) because those were the only rooms that slept 5. In fact, the AB section of Riverside (then known as Dixie Landings) was the only non-deluxe resort to accommodate a family of 5 ~ that's why we stayed there so often. The Bayou rooms were fine, but I found myself always glancing at the Mansions, wondering what it was like to stay in one of those gorgeous buildings.

One summer when I was checking in, the CM gave me the map with our room number and I was surprised to see our room was in Acadian House.....one of the mansions!! Perhaps trundles had been added to those rooms too? I excitedly opened the door to our room and it was just as beautiful as I had imagined! "Look to see which bed has the trundle," I instructed my son.

"Mom, there isn't one."

My heart sank. I picked up the phone to call the front desk. "We're a family of 5 and we were given a room with only two beds," I said, expecting to be told to return to the lobby for a room assignment in the Bayou.

"No problem, we'll send over a rollaway," the CM said.

Score! We got to keep our lovely room. (Although when the rollaway was open, it was a tight squeeze for all of us.) However on check out day we got a not-so-lovely surprise....an additional $12 plus tax for each night of our stay. It meant our departure time home was delayed as I disputed the charge, noting that we had not requested a Mansion room but were assigned a Mansion room even though the resort knew we were a party of 5.

The charge was removed.

It wasn't until 2010 that I got to stay in a Mansion room again. And from that time forward I decided that I would request a Mansion room whenever we stayed at Riverside. And I am happy to report Woody, Em and I were on our way to Oak Manor.

View attachment 212831

View attachment 212833

View attachment 212836

View attachment 212837

Isn't this room charming?
View attachment 212839

View attachment 212838

View attachment 212840

New product line of H2O toiletries
View attachment 212841

Everything was just perfect.....until I closed the bathroom door and saw this:
View attachment 212843
How is it possible for the housekeeper to miss a half-full water bottle?? o_O
Hrm...

I heard PORS and POFQ was amazing. I stayed at POFQ as a result.

It...wasn't...amazing.

Oddly, my kid preferred Contemporary (yeah, we ain't doing that again kiddo, that was once in a lifetime) or Pop...so, moving forward, I looked at Value resorts (specifically Pop or AoA) vs Moderates...

Of all the Moderates, CBR is the only one that intrigues me...but, you didn't stay there, so...

Big Hair

"Let's go see Launch Bay!" said Em never.
Except today. :jawdrop:

She has never seen Star Wars. Not that she never had the opportunity ~ her brothers owned every VHS cassette (then DVD and Blu-Ray) of the episodic saga. To be fair, I have only seen Star Wars once ~ in 1977 on the big screen. (Back in the day when movie theaters had BIG screens!) I remember being bored and must have passed it through my DNA to Em.

Woody, on the other hand, is a member of the masses who have kept Star Wars insanely popular for over 40 years. Em wanted him to experience Launch Bay.

View attachment 215231

View attachment 215232

View attachment 215234

View attachment 215236

View attachment 215237

View attachment 215238

A couple Stormtroopers showed up while we were waiting in line to meet Chewbacca.
View attachment 215239

View attachment 215240

We liked the chatter of BB-8.
View attachment 215241
I saw Star Wars in July 1977 in Gaylord, MI. Back in day.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Flying down to WDW on Delta next month with a layover in Atlanta. Always fly Southwest and never stopped at Atlanta before. Any tips for a smooth transition? Sorry Tuvalu to interrupt, but this is a plus on your outstanding trip reports. Help with the magic.
I also tip the hat to @Tuvalu , cuz this trip report is AMAZING!

But, if you are in ATL, it's really quite easy. When you land, find out where you are going. Likely, if it isn't Delta, it's the same concourse. Walk to the right or the left, find your departure, then look for shopping/food, or whatever to keep you distracted until your next flight.

I've flown a lot of airports, ATL is one of the easiest (as long as your are not connecting Delta...then it gets really crazy at times)...

Big Hair

I also tip the hat to @Tuvalu , cuz this trip report is AMAZING!

But, if you are in ATL, it's really quite easy. When you land, find out where you are going. Likely, if it isn't Delta, it's the same concourse. Walk to the right or the left, find your departure, then look for shopping/food, or whatever to keep you distracted until your next flight.

I've flown a lot of airports, ATL is one of the easiest (as long as your are not connecting Delta...then it gets really crazy at times)...
Oh boy, flying Delta.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh boy, flying Delta.
Ah...ok...well...

My advice?

Don't.

And this is coming from an ex-Delta Skymiles Plat whatever....they really don't do it anymore.

But, if you are transferring to them...when you get here, ask where the transport center is as you exit the plane. Take that direction.

ATL is really an easy airport to get around. Just find out where you are going, do not be afraid to ask it, and go there. Once there, within a short walk will be all sorts of eats, drinks and whatever...so, really nothing to worry about.

Songbird76

I hear you. Maybe we can get counseling. Oh well, too late for me but when that magic unexpected moment comes up and you save the day by pulling the rabbit out of your hat (backpack) its a feel good moment.
Amen to that!! Bandaids, safety pins, hair elastics, aspirin, nail clippers, dramamine..you never know when you will need a toothpick. And I had several pens in my backpack which came in handy when the kids bought autograph books and we didn't have to buy pens to go with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom