Major Storm Damage at USO

bethymouse

Wow! We had the "Derecho" storm summer 2012. It was incredible! I almost didn't make it home.:( Trees, fires, downed power lines everywhere!:( This looks quite similar to that!:( Incredible videos and pictures! Thanks for posting! I hope all is ok today! We're getting snow here and off school!:eek:

Californian Elitist

Wow! We had the "Derecho" storm summer 2012. It was incredible! I almost didn't make it home.:( Trees, fires, downed power lines everywhere!:( This looks quite similar to that!:( Incredible videos and pictures! Thanks for posting! I hope all is ok today! We're getting snow here and off school!:eek:

I'm a little sad I'll never get to experience a non-school day due to snow.:(

luv

I'm a little sad I'll never get to experience a non-school day due to snow.:(
Oh, my gosh. Snow days are the best thing. They send mass emails now, but when I was a kid, the only way to find out was to watch the news. The schools would always tell you what channel(s) they reported to, so you turned on that channel.

And you'd sit and watch. And they'd read them off. "Lincoln City Schools, Roosevelt City Schools, Jefferson Township..." They read a lot of them, so it took a while. You'd hear a system next to yours listed and get excited! "If they called off Progress City, maybe we'll get called off, too!" And then you'd hear your school's name!!!!!!!

We'd literally jump for joy! Woo-Hoo! I don't have to go to school! My brother actually spilled his cereal bowl one morning, jumping up when they announced our school.

It was the best feeling in the world.

My high school, unfortunately, was located in a city of people who prided themselves on the city's ability to keep the roads clear (which they really did!) and in four years of high school, not one snow day. One time, the TV people even said, "If you can hear this broadcast, your school is closed, unless you live in Craptown. They're the only one remaining open." Everyone was talking about that. Even the teachers were complaining that day. It took up an entire two-page spread in the yearbook, the fact that we were the only ones who had to go to school that day.

But snow days are like the greatest thing in life for a kid. Not that it makes living in snowy places worth it...

Pseudonym

Oh, my gosh. Snow days are the best thing. They send mass emails now, but when I was a kid, the only way to find out was to watch the news. The schools would always tell you what channel(s) they reported to, so you turned on that channel.

And you'd sit and watch. And they'd read them off. "Lincoln City Schools, Roosevelt City Schools, Jefferson Township..." They read a lot of them, so it took a while. You'd hear a system next to yours listed and get excited! "If they called off Progress City, maybe we'll get called off, too!" And then you'd hear your school's name!!!!!!!

We'd literally jump for joy! Woo-Hoo! I don't have to go to school! My brother actually spilled his cereal bowl one morning, jumping up when they announced our school.

My high school, unfortunately, was located in a city of people who prided themselves on the city's ability to keep the roads clear (which they really did!) and in four years of high school, not one snow day. One time, the TV people even said, "If you can hear this broadcast, your school is closed, unless you live in Craptown. They're the only one remaining open." Everyone was talking about that. Even the teachers were complaining that day. It took up an entire two-page spread in the yearbook, the fact that we were the only ones who had to go to school that day.

But snow days are like the greatest thing in life for a kid. Not that it makes living in snowy places worth it...
Really?

Californian Elitist

That sounds really cool! I've never even seen snow, let alone be in for a snow day.

The only natural disaster I can think of that could possibly keep Southern California kids from going to school is a REALLY BAD earthquake. When an earthquake would occur during school, we'd have to immediately crawl under our tables and hold on to the legs.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
SEAS employees a coded system by colors. Each color is very descriptive with what weather situations make up each. Team Member actions are very well known and trained. During a day trip to BGW last summer where a Code Black hit and every TM was out assisting guests to back stage for lockdown due to extreme weather.

~snow day snip~

We're in the middle of a late snowfall in Kentucky right now, enough that I checked for closings before getting out of bed this morning. Working for a school, let me tell you...the thrill of watching the closing scroll across the bottom doesn't wear off with time.

Hart...Henderson....Henry County Public Schools...

Of course, given the fact that it's before noon and I am awake, you can safely assume that we had school today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom