Major refurbishment of the Flying Fish Cafe beginning in February 2016

ABQ

Wow, "major" is right, that's a long closure. One of the best restaurants on property. Are the staff able to work elsewhere during these renovations? I feel badly, but one of the best servers I've encountered works there and I hope she's able to collect a decent paycheck for the 10 months the restaurant is closed.

Kate Alan

Wow, that is a long refurb. I'm glad they're giving attention to keeping up with the kitchen and dining room...so long as they don't touch those menu items lol. Looks like I'm swapping out one of my January reservations so I can get this one in before it closes!

llrain

We know the 2 head chefs pretty well and they are not going to change the menu..the menu is driven strictly by them,disney management does not dictate what they serve here. The 2 of them have full rein. .this is a major facelift of the dining area..they are gutting it all and retheming.
This originally was to happen twice now so take that feb date with a grain of salt...it quite possibly may get delayed again.

Kate Alan

We know the 2 head chefs pretty well and they are not going to change the menu..the menu is driven strictly by them,disney management does not dictate what they serve here. The 2 of them have full rein. .this is a major facelift of the dining area..they are gutting it all and retheming.
This originally was to happen twice now so take that feb date with a grain of salt...it quite possibly may get delayed again.

Good to hear! This is me and my family's one must-do. Love that snapper! :D

Innkeeper's Club

Why is it that when WDW closes any restaurant it seems to take months for it to be refurbished? The timeline for Flying Fish seems similar when California Grill was closed for refurbishment and right now WDW has Liberty Tree Tavern closed for 5 months.

Nmoody1

Why is it that when WDW closes any restaurant it seems to take months for it to be refurbished? The timeline for Flying Fish seems similar when California Grill was closed for refurbishment and right now WDW has Liberty Tree Tavern closed for 5 months.

It's kind of crazy... Any other restaurant would close for 2/3 weeks for a refurb - that would include kitchen work. But that's in the real world. This is Disney... The same company that on that fateful day in 2011 announced Avatar coming to Disney Parks (about that...) and it still isn't done. Any business in the real world that shut for such a long refurbishment would probably fold. Someone really needs to sit down and tell someone at Disney how they get ripped off by their contractors and internal businesses!

Innkeeper's Club

It's kind of crazy... Any other restaurant would close for 2/3 weeks for a refurb - that would include kitchen work. But that's in the real world. This is Disney... The same company that on that fateful day in 2011 announced Avatar coming to Disney Parks (about that...) and it still isn't done. Any business in the real world that shut for such a long refurbishment would probably fold. Someone really needs to sit down and tell someone at Disney how they get ripped off by their contractors and internal businesses!
Because of Liberty Tree Tavern being closed I won't be able to go there this month. While there is nothing I can do about it I'm more frustrated that I can't make any ADR's there for this December. I'm going to be at WDW a few weeks after it's scheduled to re-open and so far they are not releasing ADR's yet.

Ulysses McGill

My wife and I had our anniversary dinner at Flying Fish, and the food was great, but it was definitely in need of a facelift. I'm excited to see what comes of it.

I really hope they improve the lighting inside, more than anything. It was very dark in more than a few corners of the dining area, especially where we were sitting. I like ambiance, but I also like to see the plate of food in front of me.

Tony the Tigger

My wife and I had our anniversary dinner at Flying Fish, and the food was great, but it was definitely in need of a facelift. I'm excited to see what comes of it.

I really hope they improve the lighting inside, more than anything. It was very dark in more than a few corners of the dining area, especially where we were sitting. I like ambiance, but I also like to see the plate of food in front of me.

You know, now that you mention it, we did once sit in a dark area with I think a low ceiling. I guess it depends on where you sit - so if the facelift is taking care of that - it makes perfect sense - no more "bad" seats!

Probably our single best Disney meal was there for our 4 year anniversary (four years ago.) A good friend has a family member who works there. She called ahead and arranged for the wine-pairings, which was a mind-blowing gift that we could not have afforded otherwise - but instead of the "by the book" pairings, the bartender picked them out himself, explained every one, etc. Bonus anniversary crème brulee, personalized menu etc. The original idea was to eat there and head over to catch Illuminations. We never made it to Illuminations LOL, just stayed at the restaurant. Absolutely fantastic time and meal. Love that place.

COProgressFan

You know, now that you mention it, we did once sit in a dark area with I think a low ceiling. I guess it depends on where you sit - so if the facelift is taking care of that - it makes perfect sense - no more "bad" seats!

Probably our single best Disney meal was there for our 4 year anniversary (four years ago.) A good friend has a family member who works there. She called ahead and arranged for the wine-pairings, which was a mind-blowing gift that we could not have afforded otherwise - but instead of the "by the book" pairings, the bartender picked them out himself, explained every one, etc. Bonus anniversary crème brulee, personalized menu etc. The original idea was to eat there and head over to catch Illuminations. We never made it to Illuminations LOL, just stayed at the restaurant. Absolutely fantastic time and meal. Love that place.

Sounds like a wonderful experience!

I've also enjoyed dining there. When you consider the high end places at WDW (Flying Fish, Cali Grill, Narcoosee's, Artist Point, etc.) there truly are some great options to create memorable, unique dining experiences. (As long as you don't look at the prices! ;)). When everything comes together just right (a nice vacation, good company, good weather, a great bartender or server, fireworks afterward, etc.) it's magical.

I'm not blind to some of the declines these establishments have had in recent years, but still enjoy them and have had many terrific meals at most of them.

Tony the Tigger

Sounds like a wonderful experience!

I've also enjoyed dining there. When you consider the high end places at WDW (Flying Fish, Cali Grill, Narcoosee's, Artist Point, etc.) there truly are some great options to create memorable, unique dining experiences. (As long as you don't look at the prices! ;)). When everything comes together just right (a nice vacation, good company, good weather, a great bartender or server, fireworks afterward, etc.) it's magical.

I'm not blind to some of the declines these establishments have had in recent years, but still enjoy them and have had many terrific meals at most of them.

You know, I've come to appreciate those moments so much.

My first trip was New Year's Eve 1999 (and a couple of days before) with a 3-day park hopper pass. I stayed at a very low budget hotel a few miles away with a Chinese buffet next door. I mostly ate off property except for the occasional snack or counter service (this was when the magic Turkey Leg was discovered LOL and I was so impressed with that - for several years!) Heck I was impressed with the hot chocolate, and with the dessert (only) from the Polynesian one night. I was so busy taking in the parks (and the crowds) I had no idea what I was missing with the meals.

Over the years, we gradually started doing nicer things - FL resident annual passes every other year, moderate resorts here and there (oh we'll still stay at the Red Roof now and then if we want to go on the cheap and bring the dog LOL.) But the evolution of the dining experiences - discovering new ones, trying new things, etc. - has kept Disney a draw for us all these years. Flying Fish will always be a big part of that. Looking forward to Yachtsman's Steakhouse in a few weeks. All to culminate (hopefully) with Victoria & Albert's for our 10 year anniversary in 2017.

COProgressFan

You know, I've come to appreciate those moments so much.

My first trip was New Year's Eve 1999 (and a couple of days before) with a 3-day park hopper pass. I stayed at a very low budget hotel a few miles away with a Chinese buffet next door. I mostly ate off property except for the occasional snack or counter service (this was when the magic Turkey Leg was discovered LOL and I was so impressed with that - for several years!) Heck I was impressed with the hot chocolate, and with the dessert (only) from the Polynesian one night. I was so busy taking in the parks (and the crowds) I had no idea what I was missing with the meals.

Over the years, we gradually started doing nicer things - FL resident annual passes every other year, moderate resorts here and there (oh we'll still stay at the Red Roof now and then if we want to go on the cheap and bring the dog LOL.) But the evolution of the dining experiences - discovering new ones, trying new things, etc. - has kept Disney a draw for us all these years. Flying Fish will always be a big part of that. Looking forward to Yachtsman's Steakhouse in a few weeks. All to culminate (hopefully) with Victoria & Albert's for our 10 year anniversary in 2017.

We went to Victoria & Albert's for our 5th anniversary several years ago. It was a phenomenal experience. Obviously not the type of place we'd go to all the time, but for a special occasion or once-in-a-lifetime visit I think it was well worth the experience. I'd highly recommend it.

Tony the Tigger

We went to Victoria & Albert's for our 5th anniversary several years ago. It was a phenomenal experience. Obviously not the type of place we'd go to all the time, but for a special occasion or once-in-a-lifetime visit I think it was well worth the experience. I'd highly recommend it.

Was it hard to get a reservation? Like 180 days out or whatever? We'd be going in early September, traditionally not a busy time. We are doing no Disney in 2016 so I'll have all year and half of 2017 to save up Chase Visa rewards dollars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom