Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

Cesar R M

I also love when Jacobson says we are not CHANGING Pirates of the Caribbean and less than a minute later you hear him say The Captain is going to be CHANGED into Barbossa.
maybe they mean "we're not gonna change the design and general idea of the ride".
but they will upgrade the characters to resemble the ones from the popular franchise.

AEfx

More so. Assuming you know what you're looking for.

2006 was mainly an adding-on. This is a strip out and rebuild.

Wasn't a lot of the 2006 work "behind the scenes" - like replacing decades old sound systems, etc.? Is that what you mean, or rebuilding crumbling things the way they were - or are you talkin' all new shiz?

I still want some animatronic underwater mermaids jumpin' out at us, LOL. ;)

Cesar R M

Quite the opposite. 2006 brought new and old audio systems side by side. Hence the mess it became.
so.. bean counters found a way to "save costs" by rehusing ancient technology?

At this rate, in the future...we will have teleporters and warp technology. And Disney would still have an LP sound system playing the Pirate's theme in full MONO quality.

Cesar R M

Scary huh?
Maybe its a sign of the apocalypse? will the skies fall in a major catastrophic event? will it be a meteorite? perhaps aliens?
its always aliens I swear!

aliens.jpeg

Momof3petes

I went online looking for a thread regarding the PoC ride referbishment and was lead here. I have been entertained for a good potion of the day reading this thread among other things!

This ride is the 1st ride my family has to ride upon entering MK each visit. Years ago when I took our 2 kids at the time by myself (hubby was deployed) it was under a referbishment. I remember the feeling of utter disappointment that day. Those 2 kids weren't even school age at the time and now are soon to be junior and freshman at the college level! I'd say we've had excellent luck with that being the only time. I am set to be there Sept. 20-27 of this year and can only hope it'll open the projected day right before departure. If not I am sure it means they are still a fixin some important things.

Keep up the wonderful comments/opinions!

Yo Ho Yo Ho......

MerlinTheGoat

You've been noticeably more optimistic lately, Martin. That makes me optimistic.
Scary huh?
Still a ways to go though. New attractions are apparently promising. And refurbishments that address major show issues are great as well (though we shouldn't have to be begging for them or praising them for when they finally do it, it's something that should be a given). But there's little reason to celebrate unless there's a concerted effort to keep the rides in good condition after the refurb. It's still necessary to clean and fix things in third shift and even during the day. Otherwise after a year or two, the ride will just get back to the same poor shape it was before and we'll be screaming for another major refurb that won't arrive for another 5, 10 or even 20 years...

I have noticed a few promising signs in this regard, but it's somewhat mixed depending on the specific ride. Barring a few issues, Splash Mountain has been kept in a surprisingly good shape since 2013, better than I expected at least (not perfect by any means as there are still usually a couple of broken things). Issues mentioned on this site with the ride have generally been addressed shortly after. Main Street is also looking very clean and new. Haunted Mansion and Hall of Presidents have generally been kept in great shape during my past 5 years of visits to WDW. And recently the Peoplemover was looking very good (car seats have new untorn cushions, lights were all functioning and things generally seemed clean and such). And while there are still plenty of issues with it, even Small World was looking cleaner than it has in a long time. Spaceship Earth is even looking quite good, barring the descent sequence and mammoth projection. I've heard good things about Great Movie Ride lately as well (not had a chance to ride in a while).

But there are rides with issues as well. Carousel of Progress could use some work. Space Mountain is well known to be in horrible shape lately. Big Thunder was missing some animal figures and still needs effects for its third lift (could also use a track replacement too). Living With the Land has had a ton of broken or barely moving animatronics since at least October last year (the door to the greenhouse no longer closes/opens). And Soarin's image quality is so bad that it ruins any immersion the ride is supposed to have. Last I heard there were also issues with Tower of Terror, unsure whether they ever fixed them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom