Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

dstrawn9889

I still think they use two sump pumps
pumping-equipment-rental-01.jpg

DonnG

So it's scheduled to reopen to guests on 9/26 right? How good is Disney at sticking to those projections? I'll be at WDW two days later and would love to ride POTC if it's open! My sisters have never been able to ride it!

mergatroid

So it's scheduled to reopen to guests on 9/26 right? How good is Disney at sticking to those projections? I'll be at WDW two days later and would love to ride POTC if it's open! My sisters have never been able to ride it!

I'm sure they'll do their very best to open as scheduled as they're aware people plan trips on these predictions. However they may discover problems they weren't fully aware of which may take longer than planned. Here's hoping it's done on time for you though.

TheHatboxGhost

This is 100% speculation but...

With Shanghai Disney opening in 2016, they have announced an all new pirates of the Caribbean unlike the attraction in any other park. I wonder if they want to transition some of this new technology or even the new story line into the WDW attraction, hence the extended renovation.

roj2323

image.jpg
So this happened yesterday around 9pm ish. The ride was walk on which I thought was strange. I actually asked one of the cast members If it had gone 101 to which he responded that they hadn't been down all day but they had been walk on virtully all day. I was one of 4 people in a boat and the two boats in front of me as well as the 2 boats behind me were empty. As you can see however we still got really backed up. The only thing I can think of at this point is unloading passengers is absolutely not the problem but rather they have way too many boats on the attraction and they need to remove a few to make the ride operate as it should.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
View attachment 90844 So this happened yesterday around 9pm ish. The ride was walk on which I thought was strange. I actually asked one of the cast members If it had gone 101 to which he responded that they hadn't been down all day but they had been walk on virtully all day. I was one of 4 people in a boat and the two boats in front of me as well as the 2 boats behind me were empty. As you can see however we still got really backed up. The only thing I can think of at this point is unloading passengers is absolutely not the problem but rather they have way too many boats on the attraction and they need to remove a few to make the ride operate as it should.

I had this exact same issue this past fall. If I took a picture it would have been indentical to yours. Seems like too many boats to me.

RSoxNo1

View attachment 90844 So this happened yesterday around 9pm ish. The ride was walk on which I thought was strange. I actually asked one of the cast members If it had gone 101 to which he responded that they hadn't been down all day but they had been walk on virtully all day. I was one of 4 people in a boat and the two boats in front of me as well as the 2 boats behind me were empty. As you can see however we still got really backed up. The only thing I can think of at this point is unloading passengers is absolutely not the problem but rather they have way too many boats on the attraction and they need to remove a few to make the ride operate as it should.
This is common... they put in more boats and it always results in the stacking you see at the end of the attraction. This is done to benefit capacity.

Tom

Beta Return
This is common... they put in more boats and it always results in the stacking you see at the end of the attraction. This is done to benefit capacity.

But really, capacity is only determined by the dispatch interval. A ride track can be 100' long or 100 miles long, and you can have 5 boats or 1,000 boats. But if you have 20-passenger boats that dispatch every 30 seconds, your capacity is 2400 guest per hour. If you dispatch those same boats at 60 seconds, your capacity is 1200 guests per hour.

And given that 100% of the time, boats are backed up into the ride, and they are never without a boat ready to pull into the load platform, they can reduce the number of boats and still hit the targeted dispatch intervals. The math proves that they do not need that many boats in the water, because it doesn't allow them to cycle through any faster.

ToTBellHop

But really, capacity is only determined by the dispatch interval. A ride track can be 100' long or 100 miles long, and you can have 5 boats or 1,000 boats. But if you have 20-passenger boats that dispatch every 30 seconds, your capacity is 2400 guest per hour. If you dispatch those same boats at 60 seconds, your capacity is 1200 guests per hour.

And given that 100% of the time, boats are backed up into the ride, and they are never without a boat ready to pull into the load platform, they can reduce the number of boats and still hit the targeted dispatch intervals. The math proves that they do not need that many boats in the water, because it doesn't allow them to cycle through any faster.
Right. And Pirates stacks more than any other boat ride in my experience.

lazyboy97o

The problem though is that you have people who don't know or care setting the metrics and they just think more boats is more people.

ToTBellHop

In Disney's defense, a lot of people require transfers now, which slows loading and unloading considerably, but they have to assume no one will need a transfer when choosing the number of boats to send out as there could theoretically be a 10-minute interval with no transfers where they want to maximize capacity.

RSoxNo1

Agreed, typically though having extra boats ensures that they will always have a boat at load and and unload. It shouldn't necessarily be backed up to the Harry Pirate leg, but back to the jail cell is certainly acceptable.

Mickey81

I love pirates, but I can't remeber a time that I've rode it recently it hasn't been backed up to atleast the hairy pirate leg. This is an all to common problem. As many others have stated it ruins the immersion and the last impression you have is spending more time waiting to get to unload than you did on the ride.

NearTheEars

No backup at all in February! All special effects working as well. My what a difference a day (or so) makes.

Yes early this year we rode it twice with no backups. I was astonished. It was the first time ever. Prior to that we had always been stacked up at least to the jail scene. The worst time was back to the bridge with the hairy leg. The boats slamming into each other is never fun, especially when you're in the back row, which we've tried to request since we got soaked in the front on our first ride in the new boats.

I was hoping they had finally figured it out, but with these recent reports it sounds like it didn't last too long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom