Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

lazyboy97o

Nothing is a fact until it happens. Before that it is mere speculation. No more correct then any other until proven. I am not talking about the shortening of the time (you apparently are), I am talking about the results of that change and that is a long way from fact at this point. It's just what you think it is going to mean. You may be right or you might not be, we will know when they are done. In the meantime there is nothing we can do about it anyway. If they have shortened the time (and I have no reason to not believe that) all that really matters is how it ends up.
The results of the change are part of a schedule and plan. They don't just wait until it closes to walk in and do what they get done. Cutting the time and getting just as much or more done would mean spending even more on the project. You're picking and choosing what to believe. Why would reports about the time frame be right but not reports from almost the same people of the scope of work and hesitancy to spend?

NearTheEars

Oh Disney, what a surprise, more budget cuts and maintenance reductions...

ThatIsWhyYouFail-2.jpg

What new idiocy are apologists going to give for this one? Meanwhile at Disneyland's 60th anniversary celebration...

I don't think there's been any "apologist" activity in this thread.

The majority has been guests upset over the closure during their upcoming trip.

Oh, and that argument in the middle about whether TWDC could legally sue a CM for alerting the authorities over a potentially dangerous safety issue that's been witnessed at unload several times.

wdrive

Pirates was down a lot today, from what I saw it was down more than it was open. It even opened up then closed again a short while later.

Two days ago I rode and there were no projections before the drop at all, just floating along in darkness and silence then going down the drop. The battle scene had no splashes either.

gmajew

Premium Member
If they cut the time by a month people will say they could have done more even if everything they had planned to do is done.

I have quickly come to the realization both sides are crazy in this battle the Disney bashers and the Disney fans. Lol.

I really hope they get everything fixed like the last major refurb on splash. But until it reopens I would rather believe they will do it right.

NormC

Weren't there regular flights from MCO to the STOLport? That was initially the way they wanted to move people from that MCO to WDW. There were flights in there from other surrounding airports as well. Once the monorail right of way was built, it made it too dangerous to fly in there because the monorail was too close to the end of the runway. To much of a risk of an accident.
The last scheduled flights were in Jan 24, 1973. Monorail was 1982 which ended any chance of future use. MCO was transferred to Orlando in 1975.

gmajew

Premium Member
Top 5?
Flume replacement
Complete speaker and audio infrastructure replacement
Full lighting replacement
Serious look at the boat fleet
Full motorised drive system replacement (not just belts)

And ideally remove FP+ but that won't happen.

What is the flume? Lol. I think o know what your referring to but want to be sure.

Goofyernmost

I have very little patience for apologists after the messy topics about what was done to the Polynesian lobby and especially recently the decaying monorails. If you want to view the glass as half full, go ahead. I'd love to be wrong. But I err on the side of caution and put my faith in people here who actually know far more about the company and its inner workings than any of us (whether we be apologists or pessimists). It's far safer than throwing caution to the wind by having faith that the infamously maintenance averse and profit driven WDW executives will thaw their hearts and do something good for the guest experience for a change. It's setting yourself up for failure and isn't worth the incredibly high risk of letdown, we've been burned far too many times.

I recall someone of some knowledge mentioning that POTC needed at least 6 months (may have been longer, but I do think i recall that number being tossed around). We got a disturbingly slim fraction of that time, and now it may be substantially shorter than that. I have to worry...
OK, what you have just expressed is your outlook on Disney and probably life itself. However, that doesn't make it correct or justify labeling, derogatorily, people that see life in a different way. You have little patience, really? Who held an election an many you the supreme logic in all things? You have no business having or not having patience with people with a differing opinion and outlook. They (we, in this case) are not harming you, the singular idea that because we accept things and understand that not everything can be "magical" at this point in our social system is neither foolish or optimistic. It is realistic.

All the anxiety in the world will not alter whatever Disney decides to do. It is OK to feel sad because things are not the way that we ideally would like to see it, but, it isn't someone else's perception that is affecting it. Labeling others or for that matter even, having little patience with, people that differ in that outlook is not your or anyone else right to ridicule or criticize. Either side can be absolutely wrong. That doesn't matter, it is our opinion. I don't personally care if you see things differently then I do, I do "have little patience" with people that always seem to want to bully people into accepting their viewpoint by labeling in cute and clever little ways. Seeing another side, is not apologizing for anything. It is just seeing other reasons other then neglect or not caring. It is obvious that the "insiders" have an agenda that they are pushing. It may not be a mean spirited agenda, but an agenda none the less.

They may have more avenues of information then we mortals, but, unless they are actually sitting in on those meetings whatever information that they get is second hand at best. Doesn't make it wrong, but, it isn't engraved in stone. You chose to follow that path, I require a lot more actuality then that. I usually will reserve my opinion of how things are by actually going, with an open mind, and experiencing it the same way I did when I first went 32 years ago. I don't need anyone to tell me what I like or what I don't like. I will see for myself. An excellent example of that is the constant negativism of the 7DMT. It is a very nice ride. Is it a super coaster, no, and if you can give me a good reason why it should be and be located in Fantasyland, I might come over to the other side. It has been condemned and ridiculed constantly since it's construction began. Why? Damned if I can figure it out. It is a very will done, high tech., fun and interesting ride. Isn't that what we are looking for in WDW or have we lowered Disney standards to the point that unless adrenaline is pumping out of our ears, it is a failure. When that becomes the standard, then and only then, I will agree with the demise of WDW.

Could WDW be better? Without a doubt. Is it awful?... not even close.

Cesar R M

OK, what you have just expressed is your outlook on Disney and probably life itself. However, that doesn't make it correct or justify labeling, derogatorily, people that see life in a different way.
funny, because these people have no problem calling the other side "doom and gloomers" ;)

Goofyernmost

funny, because these people have no problem calling the other side "doom and gloomers" ;)
That may have come about because others were constantly called "pixie dusters" or apologists long before they started fighting back and went the "gloom and doom" route. I covered that in a previous post in this thread, neither one is justified. Either one is hurtful depending on ones side of the argument. Oh, least we forget the ever popular "rubes". What goes around, comes around!

I have also described "pixie dusters" as those that are so hooked on the past and the early life pixie dust that they cannot deal with change and are therefore always against anything that is different from their perceived perfection image. Apologists is not even applicable. No one is apologizing because they like what they see or that the feel that many relevant things are left out of a story so they attempt to explain the idea that not everything is cut and dried. No one should ever be accused of apologizing for things that they like. No one should ever be force fed garbage in an attempt to convince them that their enjoyment is misplaced. Like or dislike, but, leave the name calling for recess on the school grounds.

imagineer boy

Oh Disney, what a surprise, more budget cuts and maintenance reductions...

ThatIsWhyYouFail-2.jpg

What new idiocy are apologists going to give for this one? Meanwhile at Disneyland's 60th anniversary celebration...

Yes and maintenance reductions were the thing that caused the first Disney-faulted deaths in Disneyland. I have a bad feeling that POTC will be heading this direction if Disney continues to be this greedy.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Yes and maintenance reductions were the thing that caused the first Disney-faulted deaths in Disneyland. I have a bad feeling that POTC will be heading this direction if Disney continues to be this greedy.
A little cherry picking of facts?

Using Snopes as a source, fairly respectable, only 2 of the listed deaths at Disneyland have ever been attributed to Disney, and the first one that was also was attributed to oversight failures as well.

While your statement may hold some truth (not knowing if the maintenance budget cut happened or was responsible for the 1st death personally), the statement you made tries to paint a much worse picture than the reality actually is. Here are the list of Disneyland deaths

• May 1964: Mark Maples, a 15-year-old Long Beach, CA, resident, was killed when he tried to stand up on the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Maples (or his companion) foolishly unbuckled his seatbeat and attempted to stand up as their bobsled neared the peak of the mountain. Maples lost his balance and was thrown from the sled to the track below, fracturing his skull and ribs and causing internal injuries. He died three days later.

• June 1966: Thomas Guy Cleveland, a 19-year-old Northridge, CA, resident, was killed when he attempted to sneak into Disneyland along the Monorail track. Cleveland scaled the park's sixteen-foot high outer fence on a Grad Nite and climbed onto the Monorail track, intending to jump or climb down once inside the park. Cleveland ignored a security guard's shouted warnings of an approaching Monorail train and failed to leap clear of the track. He finally climbed down onto a fiberglass canopy beneath the track, but the clearance wasn't enough — the oncoming train struck and killed him, dragging his body 30 to40 feetdown the track.

• August 1967: Ricky Lee Yama, a 17-year-old Hawthorne, CA, resident, was killed when he disregarded safety instructions and exited his People Mover car as the ride was passing through a tunnel. Yama slipped as he was jumping from car to car and was crushed to death beneath the wheels of oncoming cars.

• June 1973: Bogden Delaurot, an 18-year-old Brooklyn resident, drowned trying to swim across the Rivers of America. Delaurot and his 10-year-old brother managed to stay on Tom Sawyer Island past its dusk closing time by climbing the fence separating the island from the burning settlers' cabin. When they decided to leave the island a few hours later, they chose to swim across the river rather than call attention to their rule-breaking by appealing to cast members for help. Because the younger brother did not know how to swim, Delaurot tried to carry him on his back as he swam to shore. Bogden Delaurot went down about halfway across the river. The younger boy remained afloat by dogpaddling until a ride operator hauled him aboard a boat, but Bogden was nowhere to be found. His body was not located by searchers until the next morning.

• 7 June 1980: Gerardo Gonzales, a recent San Diego high school graduate, was killed on the People Mover in an accident much like the one that had befallen Ricky Lee Yama thirteen years earlier. Gonzales, in the early morning hours of a Grad Nite celebration, was climbing from car to car as the People Mover entered the SuperSpeed Tunnel adjacent to the former America Singsbuilding. Gonzales stumbled and fell onto the track, where an oncoming train of cars crushed him beneath its wheels and dragged his body a few hundred feet before being stopped by a ride operator.

• 4 June 1983: Philip Straughan, an 18-year-old Albuquerque, New Mexico, resident, also drowned in the Rivers of America in yet another Grad Nite incident. Straughan and a friend — celebrating both their graduations and Straughan's eighteenth birthday — had been drinking quite heavily that evening. They sneaked into a "Cast Members Only" area along the river and untied an inflatable rubber maintenance motorboat, deciding to take it for a joyride around the river. Unable to adequately control the boat, they struck a rock near Tom Sawyer Island, and Straughan was thrown into the water. His friend traveled back to shore to seek help, but Straughan drowned long before his body was finally located an hour later.

• 3 January 1984: Dolly Regene Young, a 48-year-old Fremont, CA, resident, was killed on the Matterhorn in an incident remarkably similar to the first Disneyland guest death nearly twenty years earlier. About two-thirds of the way down the mountain Young was thrown from her seat into the path of an oncoming bobsled, her head and chest becoming pinned beneath its wheels. An examination of Young's sled revealed that her seatbelt was not fastened at the time of the accident, but because she was riding alone in the rear car of a sled no one could determine whether or not she had deliberately unfastened her belt.

• 24 December 1998: In a tragic Christmas Eve accident, one Disneyland cast member and two guests were injured (one fatally) when a rope used to secure the sailing ship Columbia as it docked on the Rivers of America tore loose the metal cleat to which it was attached. The cleat sailed through air and struck the heads of two guests who were waiting to board the ship, Luan Phi Dawson, 33, of Duvall, Washington, and his wife, Lieu Thuy Vuong, 43. Dawson was declared brain dead two days later and died when his life support system was disconnected.

This accident resulted in the first guest death in Disneyland's history that was not attributable to any negligence on the part of the guest (it was the result of a combination of insufficiently rigorous ride maintenance and an insufficiently experienced supervisor's assuming an attraction operator's role) and prompted a movement for greater government oversight of theme park operations and safety procedures.

• 5 September 2003: A 22-year-old man, Marcelo Torres of Gardena, California, died, and several other guests were injured, when a locomotive separated from its train along a tunnel section of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Torres bled to death after suffering blunt force trauma of the chest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom