Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We cannot have it both ways. I believe we are in an informational deficit when it comes to knowing why it is taking so long for landscaping.

We know the project involves more the landscaping. They are making the bridge to Main street wider which is the work we have been seeing in the construction photos.

boufa

In many businesses, that actually do planning, and thinking , meating are held, and emails sent with things like...

"OK Teams, we will have the hub torn up for a year... anything you need to do, get it in there now, we are not tearing up this thing again for a while." It makes total sense that nearly everyone might want to get a change to put in or replace their tech/infrastructure while they have the chance.

ToTBellHop

In many businesses, that actually do planning, and thinking , meating are held, and emails sent with things like...

"OK Teams, we will have the hub torn up for a year... anything you need to do, get it in there now, we are not tearing up this thing again for a while." It makes total sense that nearly everyone might want to get a change to put in or replace their tech/infrastructure while they have the chance.
I think the bigger problem is that they unexpectedly unearthed Walt.

JediMasterMatt

Might be more than landscaping. Different technology may also be involved. Fiber, electrical, public address systems, NextGen tech, parade tech, water features, pyrotechnics, lighting, security, crowd control, telecom, drainage, filtration, water fountains, irrigation, kiosks, audio-visual, fire emergeny systems, medical first aid, new bridges, etc.

Obviously this project is much more than new sidewalks and some shrubs.

NextGen tech... in the dirt. RFID tech works best when running through soil?

There is nothing advanced in the systems you are describing. They are a routine part of any construction project and account for little impact to a projects timeline when compared to earth moving, foundation work, and vertical construction. Utilities are allotted time in project plans around the major components. That being said, nothing seen in any of the construction photos or outline of the project from Disney indicate any advanced, time consuming infrastructure components being part of this project - especially on the part they are working on now. Don't forget the "tech" side of this project hasn't even started - which is the north side of the hub where the new turrets with stage lighting and potentially castle projections will be housed.

This project is nothing more than to add more pasture to corral the captive FastPass+ cattle into and steer <pun intended> guests around those pastures with walkways away from where the FP areas are. Nothing more. No A,B,C, D or E-ticket is going to be unveiled when they are finally finished - unless you think standing on some fake grass if you were lucky enough to get a FP+ reservation for the fireworks "ticket" worthy. Like sheep to a slaughter, some WDW fans are oblivious to what's really happening at their resort. Nothing will change until the guests demand better out of WDW.

If only there were some sort of magical Door system already in place under the ground that Utilities, such as fiber, conduit, and infrastructure could be run through...

utiljpg-211717d43acd96b4_large.jpg

It's almost like the people who designed this place thought about such things in advance. I wonder what they would think about their guests seeing the Hub become wall central for a year?

note2001

Don't forget the "tech" side of this project hasn't even started - which is the north side of the hub where the new turrets with stage lighting and potentially castle projections will be housed.

I'm thinking around the 4th of July next year we'll see those new turrets being built. Won't be the prettiest sight, but at least they won't detract from the holiday fireworks.

ABQ

I'm thinking around the 4th of July next year we'll see those new turrets being built. Won't be the prettiest sight, but at least they won't detract from the holiday fireworks.
That is, if you do not consider the Independence Day a holiday.

jt04

NextGen tech... in the dirt. RFID tech works best when running through soil?

There is nothing advanced in the systems you are describing. They are a routine part of any construction project and account for little impact to a projects timeline when compared to earth moving, foundation work, and vertical construction. Utilities are allotted time in project plans around the major components. That being said, nothing seen in any of the construction photos or outline of the project from Disney indicate any advanced, time consuming infrastructure components being part of this project - especially on the part they are working on now. Don't forget the "tech" side of this project hasn't even started - which is the north side of the hub where the new turrets with stage lighting and potentially castle projections will be housed.

This project is nothing more than to add more pasture to corral the captive FastPass+ cattle into and steer <pun intended> guests around those pastures with walkways away from where the FP areas are. Nothing more. No A,B,C, D or E-ticket is going to be unveiled when they are finally finished - unless you think standing on some fake grass if you were lucky enough to get a FP+ reservation for the fireworks "ticket" worthy. Like sheep to a slaughter, some WDW fans are oblivious to what's really happening at their resort. Nothing will change until the guests demand better out of WDW.

If only there were some sort of magical Door system already in place under the ground that Utilities, such as fiber, conduit, and infrastructure could be run through...

utiljpg-211717d43acd96b4_large.jpg

It's almost like the people who designed this place thought about such things in advance. I wonder what they would think about their guests seeing the Hub become wall central for a year?

They would have done a lot differently had they had a clue of how successful WDW would be. Nobody knew. Well, except me. But nobody asked my opinion.

JediMasterMatt

They would have done a lot differently had they had a clue of how successful WDW would be. Nobody knew. Well, except me. But nobody asked my opinion.

Successful as in attendance? Successful in that this Hub refurb is somehow a necessary evil?

They knew exactly what to expect and planned on it accordingly. They had the model to base things off of in Disneyland. They expanded walkways to allow for more foot traffic. For somewhere between 25 and 30 years, WDW did a great job of keeping SUPPLY up with DEMAND and the resort flourished. Then something happened.

WDW stopped keeping up with demand by cutting off supply

If you've ever visited Disneyland, you would realize how compact and cramped the park can be; but, somehow they manage to run fireworks, parades, and Fantasmic. It can cause traffic jams; but, the park can handle the load without carving off real estate for FastPass viewing.

Why on earth does WDW feel the need to do so? Does the difference of 2 million guests per year fundamentally change the ability to view fireworks and parades? I would argue not as Anaheim is actually going to throw a nighttime parade back into the mix next year and my guess is that it will run more than once a night during the summer.

No, I don't think the Hub refurb in Orlando has anything to do with guest satisfaction in terms of providing easy fireworks viewing or improved traffic flow. Those are side benefits to the project. They weren't the reason why the project received funding.

The Hub refurb in Orlando is simply TDO's method of dealing with the SUPPLY/DEMAND dilemma. The difference between the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland is that Disneyland has significantly more capacity in rides and attractions than the MK. It's rides and attractions that pull guests off the streets. It's rides and attractions that give guests something to do. Visit Disneyland on a busy day and then visit MK on a busy day and tell me which day you enjoy more. You can get far more done in Anaheim than Orlando.

TDO has decided that they have plenty of rides and attractions and they just needed to do a better job getting people to use them. They felt that if an attraction didn't have a line the size of a popular one, it was underutilized. Instead of doing something like upgrading or replacing the underperforming ride or attraction, TDO has decided it was too expensive to do this so they invented the other option - virtual queue management. Enter in MM+ and it's wicked step child FP+.

The problem now is that you've got your queue steering system online and you need to have "destinations" loaded into the system to provide the perceived value. If you can't keep a guest out of the line for Space Mountain by trying to steer them to Stich, maybe if you offered them Wishes that would change their mind. So, you start adding in FP+ on items like parades and fireworks. It's certainly a cheaper single spend than putting in another A, B, C, D, or E-ticket. Upkeep on a faux grass field won't cost as much as a Brer Rabbit on a stick that's for sure.

Simply supply and demand. WDW keeps getting busier; but, somewhere in the mid to late 90's, the supply chain started getting severely throttled. As attendance goes up, attraction capacity needs to go up as well. Actual attractions. Things that can cause a guest to forgo a ride on something else. If there are attractions not pulling their weight, upgrade or get rid of them. FP+ is like a parent trying to get a kid to eat asparagus after they already refused it 10 times in a row. "No mom, I won't eat Stitch's Great Escape! no matter how many times you tell me there's no wait".

For what it's worth, from the CGI render - the Hub refurb may be nice. The loss of the two waterways is unfortunate though.

jt04

Successful as in attendance? Successful in that this Hub refurb is somehow a necessary evil?

They knew exactly what to expect and planned on it accordingly. They had the model to base things off of in Disneyland. They expanded walkways to allow for more foot traffic. For somewhere between 25 and 30 years, WDW did a great job of keeping SUPPLY up with DEMAND and the resort flourished. Then something happened.

WDW stopped keeping up with demand by cutting off supply

If you've ever visited Disneyland, you would realize how compact and cramped the park can be; but, somehow they manage to run fireworks, parades, and Fantasmic. It can cause traffic jams; but, the park can handle the load without carving off real estate for FastPass viewing.

Why on earth does WDW feel the need to do so? Does the difference of 2 million guests per year fundamentally change the ability to view fireworks and parades? I would argue not as Anaheim is actually going to throw a nighttime parade back into the mix next year and my guess is that it will run more than once a night during the summer.

No, I don't think the Hub refurb in Orlando has anything to do with guest satisfaction in terms of providing easy fireworks viewing or improved traffic flow. Those are side benefits to the project. They weren't the reason why the project received funding.

The Hub refurb in Orlando is simply TDO's method of dealing with the SUPPLY/DEMAND dilemma. The difference between the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland is that Disneyland has significantly more capacity in rides and attractions than the MK. It's rides and attractions that pull guests off the streets. It's rides and attractions that give guests something to do. Visit Disneyland on a busy day and then visit MK on a busy day and tell me which day you enjoy more. You can get far more done in Anaheim than Orlando.

TDO has decided that they have plenty of rides and attractions and they just needed to do a better job getting people to use them. They felt that if an attraction didn't have a line the size of a popular one, it was underutilized. Instead of doing something like upgrading or replacing the underperforming ride or attraction, TDO has decided it was too expensive to do this so they invented the other option - virtual queue management. Enter in MM+ and it's wicked step child FP+.

The problem now is that you've got your queue steering system online and you need to have "destinations" loaded into the system to provide the perceived value. If you can't keep a guest out of the line for Space Mountain by trying to steer them to Stich, maybe if you offered them Wishes that would change their mind. So, you start adding in FP+ on items like parades and fireworks. It's certainly a cheaper single spend than putting in another A, B, C, D, or E-ticket. Upkeep on a faux grass field won't cost as much as a Brer Rabbit on a stick that's for sure.

Simply supply and demand. WDW keeps getting busier; but, somewhere in the mid to late 90's, the supply chain started getting severely throttled. As attendance goes up, attraction capacity needs to go up as well. Actual attractions. Things that can cause a guest to forgo a ride on something else. If there are attractions not pulling their weight, upgrade or get rid of them. FP+ is like a parent trying to get a kid to eat asparagus after they already refused it 10 times in a row. "No mom, I won't eat Stitch's Great Escape! no matter how many times you tell me there's no wait".

For what it's worth, from the CGI render - the Hub refurb may be nice. The loss of the two waterways is unfortunate though.

My point was that they cut the budget because there were real fears that the entire project was doomed to fail. If they had of known how big Orlando tourism would become they likely would have made very different decisions. Including a larger more cohesive MK. Not that what they did was bad is was just way too conservative in hindsight.

As for adding capacity, they seem to be going as fast as they dare. 4 theme parks, 2 massive water parks while at the same time other area attractions are growing. Now a massive reimagining of DTD and Pandora. Growing crowds even in a very weak economy. In the meantime they are investing billions (yes billions) to try to keep up with demand. That is the biggest factor in keeping them from investing more on attractions. Just the need to upgrade facilities to meet demand. But I do believe they are close to catching up and will soon have the luxury of major new attractions. And then the cycle will start again. But I repeat myself. Over and over. Someday it will be obvious to all this is normal for the business cycle at WDW. No amount of armchair CEO-ing changes that fact.

jt04

Yes, you do. And you don't let facts get in your way.

Please refute with 'facts' of your own then. TWDC is investing billions in WDW because mostly they have to right now. And adding attractions as they can. And increasing capacity of current attractions. Not sure what all the carping is about at this point. Seems utterly without basis. More like trolling I think.

lazyboy97o

Please refute with 'facts' of your own then. TWDC is investing billions in WDW because mostly they have to right now. And adding attractions as they can. And increasing capacity of current attractions. Not sure what all the carping is about at this point. Seems utterly without basis. More like trolling I think.
@ParentsOf4 has posted plenty of numbers that show the low levels of investment being made into Walt Disney World.

ParentsOf4

and where, pray tell, do those numbers come from... TDO does not publish any 'numbers'...
He would be the better one to ask, but I believe they come The Walt Disney Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
The Walt Disney Company has reported all sorts of interesting Parks & Resorts data throughout the decades in its annual reports. More recently, Disney's SEC filings report other interesting data. Beyond the regularly reported data, Disney often provides further guidance in its quarterly statements and earnings calls.

For example, the following represents annual revenue at all Disney-owned theme parks since 1985:

Theme Park Revenue.jpg

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

yeah that is earnings, not what they spend it on... is there a section on what the company spends on things, like electricity...
Yes...you think Bob Iger would get away without reporting spending to investors? Spending is actually very high in P&R, just not on what we all would prefer.

Mike S

The Walt Disney Company has reported all sorts of interesting Parks & Resorts data throughout the decades in its annual reports. More recently, Disney's SEC filings report other interesting data. Beyond the regularly reported data, Disney often provides further guidance in its quarterly statements and earnings calls.

For example, the following represents annual revenue at all Disney-owned theme parks since 1985:

View attachment 66228
Seems like spending (by guests) went down on food, beverage and merch in recent years. Isn't that where the real money comes from, not just admission?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom