Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

cjk0318

So will the two new shops be on the other side of the bypass or the same side as Main Street?
It'll be on the opposite side of where the 'go-away green' currently is. Meaning, there'll be a new section of Main Street that will house 2 new shops (probably the same merchandise found all over property) and will act as a cover to MK backstage. The side of TST, back of Main Street, and the back of Tomorrowland where the cast cafeteria is will all be themed.

cjk0318

looking more closely at what utilities are there (looks like storm drain <thats the DWV> and some electrical/comm<thats the smaller PVC>)looks like planters, not shops...
Take my information with a grain of salt. It's merely word of mouth from reliable sources, rather than press release information.

Mike730

From the picture it really does look like just a planter and fencing, at least for the large majority of the area. If a shop or two does come to fruition perhaps it will be on the ends at the entrance/exit to the bypass. But I won't hold my breath.

Maybe they'll make it more like a garden rather then just putting in the "hiding my neighbors swing set" shrubs. Theres quite a bit of planting room there.

And as much as I could dream of a DLP style arcade back there, a simple pathway with minimal views of backstage will still be appreciated.

flyerjab

so you are saying that they are moving the on/off stage gate back to here and building more shops past tony's? that sounds inconceivable!

The sheer incredulous nature of this response made me guffaw out loud.

It actually would be cool if this were true though. Why would TDO be against it? More opportunities to mindlessly charge your magic bands! That is right though, new merch stores do cost more than a snowman on a stick...

cjk0318

From the picture it really does look like just a planter and fencing, at least for the large majority of the area. If a shop or two does come to fruition perhaps it will be on the ends at the entrance/exit to the bypass. But I won't hold my breath.

Maybe they'll make it more like a garden rather then just putting in the "hiding my neighbors swing set" shrubs. Theres quite a bit of planting room there.

And as much as I could dream of a DLP style arcade back there, a simple pathway with minimal views of backstage will still be appreciated.
I misinterpreted what he said. Apparently, a shop is being expanded.

mikeh

Using my previous pic as a reference point, here's how it looked last night:

1. Dirt areas are now fenced in and filled with mulch (construction fencing pushed back behind the mulched area)
2. There has been no additional work on the columns, they look the same
3. There is an identical "gate" formed by two columns (like what is pictured) to the "left" of where this picture is taken.
4. No work has been done on the backstage parts of existing main street shops (just temp trees, and a banner promoting MNSSHP)

2dvtnbY.jpg

This area is completely open to the public as a walk through area during MSEP/Wishes

tl77

Has it been confirmed yet whether the bypass will always be open during park hours or only opened during parades and fireworks?

jt04

It'll be on the opposite side of where the 'go-away green' currently is. Meaning, there'll be a new section of Main Street that will house 2 new shops (probably the same merchandise found all over property) and will act as a cover to MK backstage. The side of TST, back of Main Street, and the back of Tomorrowland where the cast cafeteria is will all be themed.

Awesome. Good to see what I have been telling people would happen, finally is. :)

dstrawn9889

i find it hard to believe that they would invest in distractions to clog up a BYPASS. the point is to get people smoothly from A to B. that is where the inconceivable comes in. also they would have to staff that location, but how would you do that? bypass is used on heavy crowd loads, not all the time...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
i find it hard to believe that they would invest in distractions to clog up a BYPASS. the point is to get people smoothly from A to B. that is where the inconceivable comes in. also they would have to staff that location, but how would you do that? bypass is used on heavy crowd loads, not all the time...

Based on what @mikeh has said the construction shown in the original photo isn't for shops. So it's possible the other poster was mistaken or given incorrect information.

mikeh

Update time. I have heard that the bypass won't be as grand as previously described. Here's what I've heard:

There aren't current plans for shops, but rather a wall. Behind the wall will be the normal CM bus stop. Also, in lieu of actually finishing the backstage part of the existing Main Street shops, WDW is going to plant more tall palms similar to the ones that already exist.

My info is only as good as what CM's are being told, but this supports what the area looks like as of tonight.

dstrawn9889

Update time. I have heard that the bypass won't be as grand as previously described. Here's what I've heard:

There aren't current plans for shops, but rather a wall. Behind the wall will be the normal CM bus stop. Also, in lieu of actually finishing the backstage part of the existing Main Street shops, WDW is going to plant more tall palms similar to the ones that already exist.

My info is only as good as what CM's are being told, but this supports what the area looks like as of tonight.
more what i see as well, well from the pictures anyway

jt04

Never believed it was ever planned to be "grand" as they would likely prefer guests leaving the traditional route. This likely will only be used when necessary so any plussing would be minimal. But hopefully well done. It is an interesting project. As is the work on the new castle courtyard and hub.

jcldtrek

I don't recall seeing it, does anyone know when they will be finished with the magic kingdom hub redo? I'm going Dec 2nd and wonder if it will be finished by then.

Rob562

The other issue is that it's the entire project that won't be done until well into 2015. It's being built in sections to as to not wall off the entire Hub at one time. So we'll see the sections being built now complete at some point, possibly early 2015, but that just means the walls will move to the northern parts of the Hub. (Though there's a lot less foundation work and almost no waterway work required there, so it theoretically will go faster than the current stuff)

I'm sure they'd love to get the new Wishes viewing parks and the extra walkways open for the busy holiday season, but I doubt it'll happen.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom