Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The southern most towers are to better hide the existing tech booths. They would only be 15-20 ft high. Lower than the projections. Assuming the upper ones are to replace the "temporary" PA stacks they would be similar height.

I may be wrong, but even with keystone correction the towers would be too close for an even and shadow-free projection throw.

Rob562

The southern most towers are to better hide the existing tech booths. They would only be 15-20 ft high. Lower than the projections. Assuming the upper ones are to replace the "temporary" PA stacks they would be similar height.

I may be wrong, but even with keystone correction the towers would be too close for an even and shadow-free projection throw.

I wonder if they could install smaller projectors in the new outer-ring snack cart pavilions that would cross-project onto the new towers...

Edit to add:
Using artwork of the general idea of the Hub project from elsewhere in this thread (I'd have to check to see who was the creator), the sightlines seem to allow what I was envisioning:

Hubsmallprojectors_zps4dc30f1b.jpg

-Rob

Last edited:

Crazydisneyfanluke

I wonder if they could install smaller projectors in the new outer-ring snack cart pavilions that would cross-project onto the new towers...

-Rob
They could also place some projectors onto the tech booths to project onto the other towers.
Untitled.jpg

From the concept art, the snack booths would be at the wrong angle to project images onto any of the towers. The images would only be seen from that side, not out into the hub.

Rob562

OK, ignore my sketch. The overhead view from the concept flyover video shows that while the angles from the snack carts might work, there are trees in the way (funny that...).

But @Crazydisneyfanluke 's idea could work...

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They could also place some projectors onto the tech booths to project onto the other towers.
View attachment 58437
From the concept art, the snack booths would be at the wrong angle to project images onto any of the towers. The images would only be seen from that side, not out into the hub.
No room In the booths, which I believe will stay but be "wrapped".

Also there's too much vibration with techs moving about / equipment. The projection supports have to be absolutely static. They're so sensitive the Main Street ones have issues with plant vibration let alone people moving about.

dstrawn9889

Couldn't they just put the projectors on the new towers?
too short of a focal length... there is a reason they are projecting from where they are. as for plant noise... short of cutting a hole all the way to foundation and completely isolating the projectors, i think the image stabilization they are running now is as good as it is gonna get

ABQ

too short of a focal length... there is a reason they are projecting from where they are. as for plant noise... short of cutting a hole all the way to foundation and completely isolating the projectors, i think the image stabilization they are running now is as good as it is gonna get
Hadn't thought about the focal length, that's a good point. Stabilization could be accomplished....with money. I'm certain there has to be some way to isolate the projectors from other equipment (one would think the PA systems in the towers create a substantial vibration that would need to be dealt with, but some sort of high priced steady cam like or gyro stabilization could be used, I'm sure. Again, if the price was accepted and paid.

JediMasterMatt

I haven't checked in on this thread in quite a while and against my better judgment, I clicked on it...

<beats head on his desk> What has TDO been doing for the last several months???? </beats head on his desk>

Take a look at the construction pictures from February and compare them to the updated ones. They've moved some topsoil and started some foundations. That's bascially it.

If you ever wanted a perfect example of how little those in power in Orlando care about their resort, this is it. The world's busiest theme park, on Main Street U.S.A., at the Hub/heart of the entire park, near one of the world's most photographed spots and this is the effort that is placed on maintaining the Walt Disney legacy? What should be the crown jewel of all theme parks looks like it's a childs sandbox with Tonka trucks in it.

I know that this was a project that was supposed to last until 2015; but, I had hoped that some common sense would've prevailed at some point and they would've started pushing on this project a bit more.

This project is going to take longer to complete than all of Disneyland.

"Why" is the question that every Disney Parks fan should be shouting at the top of thier lungs?

They are filling in some moats, leveling some land, putting in a couple of planters, and adding a couple of show buildings. This isn't a year long project because of the complexity.

It's only a year long because to make it go faster would require more money spent over less fiscal quarters.

Bad form TDO, bad form. You should go stick your head in the dirt you've moved in shame.

For what it's worth, I'm intrigued by Tokyo's new nightime show and what that could mean for a new show in Orlando; but, everytime I start to get excited about the potential - I get scared by the use of more projections and spotlights as a replacement for pyro by TDO.

CTXRover

I haven't checked in on this thread in quite a while and against my better judgment, I clicked on it...

<beats head on his desk> What has TDO been doing for the last several months???? </beats head on his desk>

Take a look at the construction pictures from February and compare them to the updated ones. They've moved some topsoil and started some foundations. That's bascially it.

If you ever wanted a perfect example of how little those in power in Orlando care about their resort, this is it. The world's busiest theme park, on Main Street U.S.A., at the Hub/heart of the entire park, near one of the world's most photographed spots and this is the effort that is placed on maintaining the Walt Disney legacy? What should be the crown jewel of all theme parks looks like it's a childs sandbox with Tonka trucks in it.

I know that this was a project that was supposed to last until 2015; but, I had hoped that some common sense would've prevailed at some point and they would've started pushing on this project a bit more.

This project is going to take longer to complete than all of Disneyland.

"Why" is the question that every Disney Parks fan should be shouting at the top of thier lungs?

They are filling in some moats, leveling some land, putting in a couple of planters, and adding a couple of show buildings. This isn't a year long project because of the complexity.

It's only a year long because to make it go faster would require more money spent over less fiscal quarters.

Bad form TDO, bad form. You should go stick your head in the dirt you've moved in shame.

For what it's worth, I'm intrigued by Tokyo's new nightime show and what that could mean for a new show in Orlando; but, everytime I start to get excited about the potential - I get scared by the use of more projections and spotlights as a replacement for pyro by TDO.

Everytime I see pictures of it I think the same thing. I also notice a complete lack of any workers with each of these updates. Thus, I suspect most of the work is being done overnight so that the sounds of construction equipment are not overheard during the day time. If that is correct, then they are only working at night, and with the longer park hours for the summer, it would limit the amount of time they are actually working on it. This could explain the seemingly slow pace this is taking (walls went up in this area in March)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
New pics posted to OTPN. They are apparently digging for mineral deposits before cementing the place over. Or perhaps looking for Jimmy Hoffa. I never new WDW had that much top soil.

Remember that the hub is on the "second floor" and the utilidor in that area only goes straight through the middle of the hub, so there is plenty of room for them to dig down.

jt04

Remember that the hub is on the "second floor" and the utilidor in that area only goes straight through the middle of the hub, so there is plenty of room for them to dig down.

Hadn't thought of that. Excited for this project though. They seem to not be doing this on the cheap.

roj2323

I was at MK last saturday and they had cut away the concrete floor of the moat on the tomorrowland side of the hub. It is pretty much a replica of the work going on the the adventureland side. If someone is going to MK tomorrow it might be a good time to get a few photos.

Mike730

I was at MK last saturday and they had cut away the concrete floor of the moat on the tomorrowland side of the hub. It is pretty much a replica of the work going on the the adventureland side. If someone is going to MK tomorrow it might be a good time to get a few photos.

Ask and Ye shall recieve. Taken on an iphone, but better than nothing.

PHOTOS- Tues. July 17th, 2014 from Tomorrowland Terrace.

IMG_1109_zpse394e607.jpg

IMG_1111_zps9dd888f2.jpg

IMG_1110_zps6bbe80e7.jpg

IMG_1113_zps33b0135a.jpg

Kristamouse

I was curious what the Hub construction looked like standing dead center at the top of Main Street between Casey's and The Plaza. I do love that view and stop there, like a complete Touron, and just enjoy for a minute...
Anyway if anyone has a somewhat recent shot I would appriecate it:)

mikeh

I was curious what the Hub construction looked like standing dead center at the top of Main Street between Casey's and The Plaza. I do love that view and stop there, like a complete Touron, and just enjoy for a minute...
Anyway if anyone has a somewhat recent shot I would appriecate it:)

You can't see anything. It's all blocked off with green "fake scene" mesh. The best spots to view anything is from Tomorrowland. Being tall I can stick a camera over the walls, but you can't see anything other than that.

jt04

Ask and Ye shall recieve. Taken on an iphone, but better than nothing.

PHOTOS- Tues. July 17th, 2014 from Tomorrowland Terrace.

IMG_1109_zpse394e607.jpg

IMG_1111_zps9dd888f2.jpg

IMG_1110_zps6bbe80e7.jpg

IMG_1113_zps33b0135a.jpg

Another we site had pics that showed people sitting on the terrace and observing the project. I like that. Sometimes the process is more fun than the result. And this project is certainly intriguing.

jt04

It's going to be lovely until they replace the water fountains with planters. ;)

Honestly, this renovation is very much needed. I hope they add (and keep!) trees.

Agree mostly. Maybe they could provide other means of shade too that could be removed at night to provide clear sightlines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom