Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We should all be able agree that the light poles are awful. And, I think most rational folks would be able to agree that, if not for the light poles, this project was a success. It is otherwise a great-looking area where some of the park's beauty had to bow out to operational issues, but they introduced wonderful landscaping elsewhere.

For me, honestly, it's just baffling that the light poles look the way they do. If we can accept that they wanted to create defined viewing areas and defined thoroughfares, it is bizarre to block the view in the thoroughfares with trees (nice) but also partially-obstruct the view in the viewing areas with lighting of all things! It gives the a job not being fully thought-out. The overall project needed to happen because the Hub was becoming unsafe. I am shocked that no one thought this might be an issue during the design phase. It's not like it's a small oversight like being able to see the Be Our Guest (or was it Belle?) building from the Pinocchio restrooms, which was easily fixed.
I have to agree that the poles look terrible in the pictures that people are posting, and that Disney could have found a better solution. But in person, even knowing that they were there, they were barely noticeable to us. This was just a few months ago. But again, I absolutely agree that they shouldn't be there in their present form, and that it could have been MUCH better designed.

ToTBellHop

I have to agree that the poles look terrible in the pictures that people are posting, and that Disney could have found a better solution. But in person, even knowing that they were there, they were barely noticeable to us. This was just a few months ago. But again, I absolutely agree that they shouldn't be there in their present form, and that it could have been MUCH better designed.
I actually agree and wouldn't fixate on them if not for these boards (when I'm on vacation, I try to focus more on the fun). It's just a surprisingly sloppy job given the high quality (and presumably high cost) of the remainder of the work. With the tens of millions they spent on this, they couldn't have put in telescoping lighting rigs?

JohnWD

Cryogenic capsules found!!!

image.jpg
image.jpg

note2001

22,000 +/- of trees on property, and people boo-hoo about a dozen or so removed for progress and construction...

I'm glad you pointed out that the complaints about trees span all of WDW. Perhaps to put it in perspective a bit: The castle is 'the' landmark of the MK. The MK is a theme park that will grow and change. What we see as the hub at the end of this build session will most likely not be the one that is there in 100 years. If they want to show off the castle, let them, it's theirs to do with as they please.

Now, on the other hand, we have the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. The DVC owners over there have great cause to make noise and complain about the tall pine trees being planned for removal. They bought into those units with a specific design of the property in mind, not realizing Disney holds all title to making whatever changes they want to the land. A major part of the theming is the existence of those trees. As far as I'm aware, none have been removed as of yet, but when the chainsaws start up there will be tears shed and screams muffled.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

We should all be able agree that the light poles are awful. And, I think most rational folks would be able to agree that, if not for the light poles, this project was a success. It is otherwise a great-looking area where some of the park's beauty had to bow out to operational issues, but they introduced wonderful landscaping elsewhere.

For me, honestly, it's just baffling that the light poles look the way they do. If we can accept that they wanted to create defined viewing areas and defined thoroughfares, it is bizarre to block the view in the thoroughfares with trees (nice) but also partially-obstruct the view in the viewing areas with lighting of all things! It gives the a job not being fully thought-out. The overall project needed to happen because the Hub was becoming unsafe. I am shocked that no one thought this might be an issue during the design phase. It's not like it's a small oversight like being able to see the Be Our Guest (or was it Belle?) building from the Pinocchio restrooms, which was easily fixed.

They very easily could have placed boxes that blend into the scenery well that would house extending poles. :(

dstrawn9889

I'm glad you pointed out that the complaints about trees span all of WDW. Perhaps to put it in perspective a bit: The castle is 'the' landmark of the MK. The MK is a theme park that will grow and change. What we see as the hub at the end of this build session will most likely not be the one that is there in 100 years. If they want to show off the castle, let them, it's theirs to do with as they please.

Now, on the other hand, we have the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. The DVC owners over there have great cause to make noise and complain about the tall pine trees being planned for removal. They bought into those units with a specific design of the property in mind, not realizing Disney holds all title to making whatever changes they want to the land. A major part of the theming is the existence of those trees. As far as I'm aware, none have been removed as of yet, but when the chainsaws start up there will be tears shed and screams muffled.
and i also meant 22,000 +/- ACRES of trees, but the point still stands. Disney can do whatever they want on their own property, as long as they let Fl know that there are sufficient wetlands set aside elsewhere on/off main property.

dstrawn9889

also... they just have to go and grab a single tree an acre and can replant
lg_tree_spade_what_we_do.jpg

Monorail_Red_77

The spire flags turned all gold for the Disneyland 50th overlay in 2005, but after the overlay, they kept the gold flags.
It would also help if the pics now a days would be taken in same condition as older pics. ie windy day. If the 1970's pic was taken in no wind, it would also just look like a colored spire.

ABQ

It would also help if the pics now a days would be taken in same condition as older pics. ie windy day. If the 1970's pic was taken in no wind, it would also just look like a colored spire.
Though could go all Beach Club style with fake pennants that always stand out like it's windy, day, night, calm or stormy.
btw, I think those faux pennants look horrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom