Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What? Sleeping Beauty Castle is the one based on Neuschwanstein and it was a country retreat, not a fortress or place from which to deliver edicts.
I thought the turrets from Neuschwanstein were the inspiration for Cinderella Castle's turrets.
neuschwanstein_26.jpg

The Visionary Soul

What mistakes, if I may ask? :)
Oh, you must be joking. The Hub has looked like krap for years, not to mention having pointless pathways that were basically un-usable ever since the swan boats were removed ages ago. The big trees are gone, replaced with shrubberies, and the curb removal never took into account the colors that were removed in the pavement, nor the advances in painting, nor the removal of the 71' style curbs, I mean, I could go on and on. This hub refresh is the best thing that has happened to the MK in a long, long time. In fact, I think I like it better than New Fantasyland, I'll certainly use it a lot more!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
lazyboy97 post: 65Herbert member: 62775 said:
What? Sleeping Beauty Castle is the one based on Neuschwanstein and it was a country retreat, not a fortress or place from which to deliver edicts.

Better do your homework as Herbert Ryman designed both and specifically attributed his inspirations for the structures. Mozna in Poland was another... Neuschwanstein was constructed at the behest of Mad King Ludwig who had a thing for castles.. It's fairly modern and well past the time period where the defenses were needed.

tirian

Better do your homework as Herbert Ryman designed both and specifically attributed his inspirations for the structures. Mozna in Poland was another... Neuschwanstein was constructed at the behest of Mad King Ludwig who had a thing for castles.. It's fairly modern and well past the time period where the defenses were needed.
In addition to Neuschwanstein, several French chateaus strongly influenced Cinderella Castle.

MarkTwain

Yes, In contrast to Sleeping Beauty Castle, the style of Cinderella Castle is distinctly more French Renaissance château.

Indeed it is. :)

The Château de Chenonceau, of many French chateaus that inspired Cinderella Castle (this one's my favorite because it's so apparent):

tumblr_ng8fisvphv1snegd3o1_1280.jpg

Unlike with Disneyland, the Imagineers created a more 100% original castle based off several different styles and castles, instead of just one.

Brad Bishop

Changes used to be improvements - the excitement and anticipation of what was on the horizon kept us coming back. I can't remember now what the last change that I got truly excited about (except for the removal of the BAH of course)

I was excited about New Fantasyland. After visiting it, while I think it's a nice addition, I was a bit disappointed by the rides. They seemed very "off the shelf" to me.

Brad Bishop

I have said before that some of these boards are a lot like religion and politics. No matter how correct and rational you think you are, you are not about to change anyone else's opinions. All you can do is put in your two cents worth and hope some others agree with you. This does not seem to be an actual discussion, but it does give you a place to put forth your point of view and to read what others are thinking.

One thing I really like about this board over another board is that this board seems better grounded.

Another board I used to frequent was very much a "Kool-Aid" board and everything was described as "magical".

Think of it like your born-again Christian who feels compelled to put "Jesus" into every sentence. Replace God with Disney and then Jesus with magical. That was how nearly every thread felt.

RayTheFirefly

I can see inspiration for both actually.
Yeah, well I can see the inspiration in that photo for the clouds in the preshow video for Soarin', but that doesn't mean the designers got their inspiration from there. I'm not saying they didn't, but Cinderella Castle has a lot of differences in architecture.
Indeed it is. :)

The Château de Chenonceau, of many French chateaus that inspired Cinderella Castle (this one's my favorite because it's so apparent):

tumblr_ng8fisvphv1snegd3o1_1280.jpg

Unlike with Disneyland, the Imagineers created a more 100% original castle based off several different styles and castles, instead of just one.
"Cinderella Castle was inspired by a variety of real and fictional palaces. These included Fontainebleau, Versailles and the châteaux of Chenonceau, Pierrefonds,Chambord and Chaumont, as well as Castle Neuschwanstein, Bavaria, and Alcázar of Segovia, Castile and León in Segovia, the oldest of all, which is nine centuries old and also the Moszna Castle in Poland which was built in the 18th century, in addition to the Tyn Church in Prague, Czech Republic, which was built in the 14th century. The chief designer of the castle, Herbert Ryman, also referenced the original design for the castle in the film Cinderella and his own well-known creation — the Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland in California."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom