Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Having no inside information, I have repeatedly heard late spring from multiples on these forums. That being said, it appears the current construction areas will open and then work will begin on the northern part of the hub, flanking the castle and getting the turrets done.

Again, this is just my best guess based on comments here and other online sources.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
My family was at MK in September. I never mentioned anything to my wife or two boys about the construction project. Two full days in the park, none of them ever made any comment about the hub construction. For the average guest, the construction walls fade away. You don't spend your time looking over the wall, you look at the castle or what you can easily see. Those posting on this site are looking for the diminished experience, the vast majority of the 27 million visiting the park either don't notice it or are unaffected by it.

You can choose to see the glass as half empty (diminished experience), half full (new projects or parks getting TLC), or just enjoy the glass of water (your in WDW). Most people at WDW seem to fall into the last category!

I think you hit the nail on the head. If they would have closed it totally for several months to do all this work at once it would have had a much great impact on the average park guest. Missing events like parades for a long time would of really effected the average quest much more. I might be wrong, but what I have seen of this project so far Disney is doing a great job. I will wait to see the final product before any other judgment.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
From what I know of this project, the majority of the work is currently underway (and some would argue nearing completion). The plan is to continue the new outer ring up to the next two bridges still. This will mean some earth moving and likely some more infrastructure (mainly lamps and speaker related). The rest I would think is much more cosmetic, but this is just from casual connections at WDW. No inside scoop, so I'm just as curious as you to see how the rest unfolds

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Also, how big of an area will the northern part's construction take up? Surely nowhere near the size of the current site, right?

Should be significantly smaller area (in both sides), only negative is because it is on the "backside" of the plaza it will be a little more noticeable when coming up main street, but because of smaller size, it should fade into background for the most part. I mean come on, there's a castle to look at! :)

dstrawn9889

Should be significantly smaller area (in both sides), only negative is because it is on the "backside" of the plaza it will be a little more noticeable when coming up main street, but because of smaller size, it should fade into background for the most part. I mean come on, there's a castle to look at! :)
EXCEPT that they are going to have to tear up the current walkways(just a bit) to run the new utilities under them(unless they are using boring machines?) and that would create some problems for that day(the fresh concrete setting, say on the walkway to Adventureland and to tomorrowland)

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
It's quite possible. The cleanest would be if they could cut after closing and either repour quickly or lay other walkway covering down to allow foot traffic. All really depends upon the size and # of conduit need to be ran

Unplugged

Another thing no one has mentioned, is whether or not they are removing the existing main street bridge. It seems really odd to have that structure remain and simply attempt to completely under fill it with sand (as the photos imply is being done). Are they leaving it to simply removing the sidewalls along the side walk and add their traditional low profile railings with plants behind it?

If it were removed, I'd imagine it would be after they complete the new walkways at the new "bridges" so they could re-route foot traffic.

I know, I know, engineering wise it's a "so what" item, and visually only we will know if they leave it. But every time I walk over that, I'm going to think about it being a bridge and find it weird.

Kman101

I'm curious about the brick work too. I guess we'll see. I don't mind the cream color but I wonder if they'll paint it to match the brick work their painting for the bypass.

ZodIsGr8

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here are few more pics from the Tommorowland side.

skimbob

I was hoping maybe they would have it done before marathon weekend in January but I guess that is wishful thinking on my part. I haven't seen the world since January so I am looking forward to some new things I haven't seen like SDMT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom