Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

LOL. There was no way either Disneyland or WDW would spend money on those arcade walkways. If any park did it would be DL. I would LOVE it if they did though!

I mean, it's a simple backstage bypass. I'm not sure what people really want? It's just they're giving it some basic theming unlike now where you are taken out of the theming of Main Street. Not that it bothered me much, but apparently even a backstage walkway has to be themed.

DL did a nice job with theirs it seems. Of course WDW takes a cheaper way out.

And they cut trees from the new hub work? I'm *shocked*

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lighting/speaker poles are poking up everywhere now.

Fox&Hound

I know this will be completely done next year sometime but will they finish this section, open it to the public, and then start working by the castle i.e. open it in stages ala NFL?

mm121

I know this will be completely done next year sometime but will they finish this section, open it to the public, and then start working by the castle i.e. open it in stages ala NFL?
yes, as they can't keep the whole hub destroyed all at the same time.

not sure what they'll do about castle entertainment, wishes, etc, while the zone close to the castle is destroyed

Horizons1

they axed the trees? thats dumb, its gonna look like a concrete jungle

if they make the bypass entrance so short like a set of doors that completely elimiates the chances of using it for emergency vehicle access like some had theorized

seems odd they are putting concrete posts and walls right in the middle of the path
Trees don't belong in the Magic Kingdom.

mm121

Trees don't belong in the Magic Kingdom.
i hope this is sarcasm, if you've seen pics of how the parks use to be they were lush and shaded, not barren wastelands of concrete
That's because Disney made it into a "simple bypass". It could have been an expansion to Main Street.
That's what people really want.
an expansion of main street would of been more of a long term vision, with not only traffic control, but additional dining, retail, and entertainment opportunities

though right now they need to change the retail strategy before building more stores in the parks,

as others have said make items that are unique to each park, and the different attractions, having trully exclusive merchandise rather than everything being mass produced and generic
I imagine the average guest don't care what is happening.
unfortunately probably true, but disney use to be the golden standard going up and beyond guest expectations

Kman101

That's because Disney made it into a "simple bypass". It could have been an expansion to Main Street.

I know it could have been but why do we *need* that? It's to let people pass during crowded times. I'd love the arcades, would it be what I WANT? Of course it is. But I can understand why they took the cheap way out this time (and ONLY this time). Just my own feelings on the matter. Honestly, if I were in charge, I wouldn't spend the money on the arcades either because of it's purpose. I don't know, I just don't see the big deal they aren't building these expansive, immersive side streets. I'd love that, very very much, but I'm not super upset with what they're doing either. I guess I just see this project differently.

And I meant "I'm not sure what people really want" in regards to the project they are actually doing, not what we all want them to do, which I am aware is the arcades that Paris has.

JLipnick

yes, as they can't keep the whole hub destroyed all at the same time.

not sure what they'll do about castle entertainment, wishes, etc, while the zone close to the castle is destroyed
I am hoping it is done by May (by the looks of it, they very well could be). I like the idea of the separate viewing area for the fireworks. We don't use the FP+ for the parades as we use the handicap access areas, but they don't exist for the fireworks and to get in the best spots is a nightmare for a 6 year old in a walker with the huge crowd, especially at night. I am looking forward to the FP+ for the fireworks.

Kman101

And isn't one of the biggest guest complaints in the parks a lack of shade, and seating?

Yet all they do is take away trees and benches? Makes sense to me!

It's sad that I actually get surprised when I see a bench ...

Jon81uk

I know it could have been but why do we *need* that? It's to let people pass during crowded times. I'd love the arcades, would it be what I WANT? Of course it is. But I can understand why they took the cheap way out this time (and ONLY this time). Just my own feelings on the matter. Honestly, if I were in charge, I wouldn't spend the money on the arcades either because of it's purpose. I don't know, I just don't see the big deal they aren't building these expansive, immersive side streets. I'd love that, very very much, but I'm not super upset with what they're doing either. I guess I just see this project differently.

And I meant "I'm not sure what people really want" in regards to the project they are actually doing, not what we all want them to do, which I am aware is the arcades that Paris has.

I don't think it is needed either, there are plenty of shops in the Magic Kingdom, more access to the Main Street shops isn't needed and they certainly don't need to expand main st to add more shops. Many people just want to leave the park quickly after the fireworks and the bypass does that.

The arcades in Paris are there because the climate is much colder and therefore to allow people to shop better and get through the park in comfort in the Winter they added the arcades. The don't really help guest flow in the same way as the seating for the Main St restaurants at Paris extends out into the arcades.

Slowjack

I know it could have been but why do we *need* that? It's to let people pass during crowded times.
I think the big question is how often the bypass will be open. The expansion of the hub and the fact that I was sent through the bypass in late January (during relatively low crowds, I mean), leads me to think that it will open a lot. If the bypass is something few guests will see, then any theming could be considered an upgrade. If, as I fear, it will be commonly open, and huge numbers of guests will see it, then I think it needs to be themed to the standards of the rest of the park.

coruscant

For those that don't know here is a picture of the discovery arcade at Disneyland Paris taken yesterday (11/23/2014).

IMG_1958.jpg

There is a similar one on the other side (towards Frontierland) named liberty arcade.
Both arcades have entrance to all shops along Main Street. However, there is little sitting space there (some in the liberty arcade but discovery arcade has none as you can see in the picture).
They help with the weather, especially during the winter period when the weather is very cold and there is a lot of rain / snow in the park.
They also help with guest flow especially when leaving the park after Disney Dreams.
Currently, guests seeing the show towards each side of central plaza are directed to the arcades and not allowed through main street.

Last edited:

mm121

I don't think it is needed either, there are plenty of shops in the Magic Kingdom, more access to the Main Street shops isn't needed and they certainly don't need to expand main st to add more shops. Many people just want to leave the park quickly after the fireworks and the bypass does that.

The arcades in Paris are there because the climate is much colder and therefore to allow people to shop better and get through the park in comfort in the Winter they added the arcades. The don't really help guest flow in the same way as the seating for the Main St restaurants at Paris extends out into the arcades.

florida has rain rain and extreme heat, so the climate argument doesn't really work.

i'm sure people would love to be able to exit the park and pick up a few extra things on the way out without getting wet

would be curious to know if they did any studies as to if the bypass with cost sales in the stores, though currently at times the stores are so crowded especially with people cutting through to avoid the blocked parade traffic, that I'm sure that costs sales and not to mention shoplifting

so the bypass should cut down on some of this race through traffic to open the stores up to the browsers again

mm121

For those that don't know here is a picture of the discovery arcade at Disneyland Paris taken yesterday (11/23/2014).

IMG_1958.jpg

There is a similar one on the other side (towards Frontierland) named liberty arcade.
Both arcades have entrance to all shops along Main Street. However, there is little sitting space there (some in the liberty arcade but discovery arcade has none as you can see in the picture).
They help with the weather, especially during the winter period when the weather is very cold and there is a lot of rain / snow in the park.
They also help with guest flow especially when leaving the park after Disney Dreams.
Currently, guests seeing the show towards each side of central plaza are directed to the arcades and not allowed through main street.

totally missed opportunity for doing something great at both DisneyLand and magic kingdom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom