Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Yea I don't quite understand the slow pace either. You would thing they want those viewing areas open for the holidays.

IMO, the glacial pace of construction is primarily a result of the construction window they have to work in. Having to start work after the last guests have left the park and end before the first guest enters including any tours leaves very short windows for them to operate in.

I am not saying that they couldn't speed it up, just if they did guests may be impacted too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
IMO, the glacial pace of construction is primarily a result of the construction window they have to work in. Having to start work after the last guests have left the park and end before the first guest enters including any tours leaves very short windows for them to operate in.

I am not saying that they couldn't speed it up, just if they did guests may be impacted too.

But we have seen work being done during park hours in some of the photo updates.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What might the similarities be between this brand new Disneyland Backstage Alley and the Magic Kingdom version yet to open?
From what I've seen not an awful lot. The MKs will be wider and without the overhead decor.

Maybe some latticework replicated on some of the walls though.

MarkTwain

From what I've seen not an awful lot. The MKs will be wider and without the overhead decor.

From what I understand, the Disneyland operations team specifically requested the overhead latticework to block views of the fireworks and prevent guests from holding up traffic. Seems like the WDW ops team would have wanted something similar.

But then they axed the ring of trees around the expanded hub as well, which would've served the same purpose.

jdmdisney99

This is from Disneyland, but it could be useful to understand what they're doing with the similar Backstage Alley at MK. The new Backstage Alley at Disneyland opened this weekend and follows an identical path behind Main Street USA as the one in Magic Kingdom.

It's entered via a new building off of the Town Square (that replaced an unused patio), a new "Livery Stables" that has big barn doors that stay closed 98% of the time but are opened on the busiest days that lead directly into the new alleyway that parallels Main Street USA.

This is directly north of where Tony's Town Square Restaurant is at MK.
DSC_8156-L.jpg

DSC_9244-L.jpg

Thru the barn doors with the other "cattle", you go into the alley itself. It's very plain, but not unattractive. A basic wide alley, with clapboard walls with framed Attraction Posters and some flower boxes (that hide music speakers), with lattice work arches overhead and some tall trees on the other side of the walls to block views of fireworks and some "backstage" buildings. Simple globe light fixtures and popcorn lights on the arches will provide lighting, as this alley will primarily be used at night after fireworks and Fantasmic!.

B1ijS0kCcAAvG7C.jpg:large

The alley dumps you out at the backside of Main Street right into The Hub, in a reworked area with a new First Aid building and redesigned planters and walkways ready to guide crowds into the alley when needed.
DSC_4728-L.jpg

What might the similarities be between this brand new Disneyland Backstage Alley and the Magic Kingdom version yet to open?
Looks nice...but was I quoted for a particular reason? :confused:

mm121

From what I understand, the Disneyland operations team specifically requested the overhead latticework to block views of the fireworks and prevent guests from holding up traffic. Seems like the WDW ops team would have wanted something similar.

But then they axed the ring of trees around the expanded hub as well, which would've served the same purpose.
they axed the trees? thats dumb, its gonna look like a concrete jungle

if they make the bypass entrance so short like a set of doors that completely elimiates the chances of using it for emergency vehicle access like some had theorized
seems odd they are putting concrete posts and walls right in the middle of the path

Last edited:

Sage of Time

Ugh. That's beyond unfortunate, seeing how uninspired DL's looks. They could have made these into really detailed and themed areas that allow for Main Street's environment to be deepened and expanded.

I mean, look at how Paris has their arcades!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom