Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

dstrawn9889

bad show is having this in the first place, an alternate exit for people who don't want the 'whole' experience of leaving the park at close. it is the same as an evac corridor b/t splash and pirates... to be used as such. now on the other hand, the little bits that used to be covered and 'go away green' that can be seen from the castle approaches and TL bridge need themeing

cjk0318

From tonight. Lots of curbing and plants.

Attachments

• download_20141015_214043.jpeg
    download_20141015_214043.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 324

cjk0318

One thing that struck me was: Will they have this open during the fireworks? Cause, ya know, it can ruin the "magic" of Tinker Belle's "flight"

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
One thing that struck me was: Will they have this open during the fireworks? Cause, ya know, it can ruin the "magic" of Tinker Belle's "flight"
If you are talking about the bypass it's not a new thing. It has been functioning for years, as a completely unthemed walkway, for guests who want to avoid trying to navigate Main Street (or cut through the stores) during high traffic times at the end of the night. It was 100% unthemed. I'm talking backstage parking lots, loading areas on the backsides of Main Street USA, parking cones and CMs waving you along. I've taken it for years.
The current work seems to be to add even the slightest bit of theming to it (and from what people are saying, it really is the "slightest bit" of theming).
IMO, whatever they do will actually improve the magic in the tiniest bit. I was always semi-conflicted when I took the bypass on the last night in MK on my trip. Did I want this to be my last impression of the MK? Then I looked down at my tired and cranky children, looked at the 1.75 million people clogging Main Street waiting for the fireworks, and made the call to take the nice, quick, empty bypass. At least now it will have some semblance of theme.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
In the past, the bypass, when in use, has been open during fireworks. As @sshindel notes, it was completely unthemed, through a parking lot and past utility equipment. More surprisingly, perhaps, on some nights, they set up benches and seating and allowed you to watch the fireworks from the employee parking lot. It was, perhaps, the best place I ever watched NYE fireworks. No huge crowd; actually could sit, or dance, or whatever; pictures without a bunch of Mickey balloons in the way; and Tink flying right at me, even if she landed on the roof in front of me. Here's a few pics from that night.
2010-12-30 19.57.05.jpg
2010-12-31 00.01.37.jpg

cjk0318

In the past, the bypass, when in use, has been open during fireworks. As @sshindel notes, it was completely unthemed, through a parking lot and past utility equipment. More surprisingly, perhaps, on some nights, they set up benches and seating and allowed you to watch the fireworks from the employee parking lot. It was, perhaps, the best place I ever watched NYE fireworks. No huge crowd; actually could sit, or dance, or whatever; pictures without a bunch of Mickey balloons in the way; and Tink flying right at me, even if she landed on the roof in front of me. Here's a few pics from that night.View attachment 70126 View attachment 70127
I was talking about how Tinker Bell lands on top of one of the tomorrowland buildings from her flight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom