Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

ABQ

Is there still a cement bottom below all that sand? If not, will they have to clean it up and pour a new bottom before they let water run through the new pipes under the bridgework?

jt04

At the risk of being annoying... what else is there left to do? It looks like the main structure is pretty much done, no?

They still have to build the outer ring, landscape, add new rails and walls. Not to mention all the new show elements like the new turrets. I'd say they are about half way now.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At the risk of being annoying... what else is there left to do? It looks like the main structure is pretty much done, no?

For just the area shown in those pictures they need to put the final finish on the outside of those bridges since they are currently just raw, un-themed concrete. Then they need to close off the area under the existing bridge, remove the existing railings from the current bridge, and then do all the new landscaping and hardscaping on the newly constructed area.

RayTheFirefly

For just the area shown in those pictures they need to put the final finish on the outside of those bridges since they are currently just raw, un-themed concrete. Then they need to close off the area under the existing bridge, remove the existing railings from the current bridge, and then do all the new landscaping and hardscaping on the newly constructed area.
Yeah, sorry, I should've clarified. I meant in terms of heavy duty hard-scaping. It looks like most of what's left is cosmetic.

note2001

What I want to know is: will this get even worse before it gets better? Have we seen the worst of it?

It would be nice to know in advance about when they expect each set of construction walls to come down.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What I want to know is: will this get even worse before it gets better? Have we seen the worst of it?

It would be nice to know in advance about when they expect each set of construction walls to come down.

I would think that the construction of the second walkway around the hub would be pretty intrusive, since they will have to wall off sections of the hub to do this. On the plus side that should last as long as the bridge construction is taking.

I'm taking my daughter for her first experience of the MK that she will remember in July. Reading the last 100 pages I am increasingly worried that her first memory will not be of that fantastic view from Main Street of the Castle but that of Green walls! Guys do you think it will be finished by July?

note2001

I'm taking my daughter for her first experience of the MK that she will remember in July. Reading the last 100 pages I am increasingly worried that her first memory will not be of that fantastic view from Main Street of the Castle but that of Green walls! Guys do you think it will be finished by July?

I'm getting the feeling that the entire redesign won't be done by July. Disney's work permits go through the summer and into Fall of 2015. However, I have hopes the "big stuff" (paving, new planters etc) might be completed enough that many of the walls come down by then.

I don't think the center will be walled up, so the view down main street should be a straight shot to the castle. Even today, shots I've seen from main street of the castle are not looking at walls.

I'm getting the feeling that the entire redesign won't be done by July. Disney's work permits go through the summer and into Fall of 2015. However, I have hopes the "big stuff" (paving, new planters etc) might be completed enough that many of the walls come down by then.

I don't think the center will be walled up, so the view down main street should be a straight shot to the castle. Even today, shots I've seen from main street of the castle are not looking at walls.

Thanks. These boards are great!

Otamin

The fantastic view from Main Street has been missing for years anyway. ;)

In all honesty I doubt it would look much different until you actually get to the hub.

Last edited:

Clamman73

This morning
image.jpg

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
you cannot see the 'green walls' down main street(well not from the train station or the emporium...) all you can see is the throng of heads and the castle in the distance

But nothing but walls from Casey's the and the Castle hub. It was more prominent early this morning at 1am when my DW and I left the Villains party this morning in an empty Park.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I'm really hoping this will be finished by May. We're going for our anniversary and I'd hate the Magic to be reduced because of what ive heard described as "the green mile". :)

Next Big Thing

I'm really hoping this will be finished by May. We're going for our anniversary and I'd hate the Magic to be reduced because of what ive heard described as "the green mile". :)
This garage will definitely be done by then. The garage towards the Marketplace side however will be under construction at that point so a lot of the parking on that side will be lost.

Since the garage will be open though, the parking loss will be much less of a hassle than it is currently.

RayTheFirefly

This garage will definitely be done by then. The garage towards the Marketplace side however will be under construction at that point so a lot of the parking on that side will be lost.

Since the garage will be open though, the parking loss will be much less of a hassle than it is currently.
I believe they are talking about the Hub renovation? The topic of this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom