Main Street U.S.A. concrete replacement project begins tomorrow

Animaniac93-98

Real brick would be nice like they have out in Anaheim. If real brick isn't practical, then a stamped brick design could be nice. I absolutely loved the look of the brick at Disneyland.

But Disneyland's brick sidewalks are kind of odd, since it's the reverse of what would actually be a c. 1900 street (brick street, paved sidewalk):

Main-Street-USA-DL-99.jpg

DLP and HKDL get it right:

2847473001_34684f0fa1.jpg

Town+Square+and+City+Hall,+Main+Street.+Disneyland+Paris+107802.jpg

And then there's World Bazaar in Tokyo with only a flat street with a fake "sidewalk":

wbrlftout.jpg

Which I hope does not happen at WDW's Main Street, which is already lacking in texture and detail.

wogwog

Ready for a surprise that is being included with the obvious necessary work? Lots of curbs are going away. Heard from a MK manager the curbs facing Town Square at the Emporium and Confectionary will be ripped out for sure. Maybe in other spots as well but he was not positive how much of the existing curb will go away. Think one giant ramp like they have at the corners. Harder and more expensive as well as more time consuming to do would be to flatten the sidewaks like in front of the Train Station or Castle.

My sarcastic opinion is that this is being done to keep the guests from walking off the curb and getting injured while walking around with their face buried in a dumb phone trying to make some part of My Magic Minus work or get a Fast Pass to COP. Evidently $3 billion spent on the MMM project did not include injury to guests.
OK. This update was just released and I received it from a cast member.

Concrete replacement on south block of Main Street, U.S.A.
A two-month project to replace concrete in Magic Kingdom Park near Emporium, Main Street Confectionery and part of Town Square kicks off Monday, July 22, after park close.

During the first phase of work, approximately July 23-31, the corner entrance to Emporium (facing Town Square) will not be available so that the sidewalks in that area can be replaced. The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom portal located outside Emporium will be temporarily taken out of the game since it will not be accessible. The portal will return to operation as soon as work completes in the area

For the duration of the project, there will be modifications to the Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party route and schedule, Celebrate A Dream Come True Parade route, Main Street Electrical Parade route, Main Street Vehicles and Main Street Trolley Show route and schedule.

wogwog

Loo
OK. This update was just released and I received it from a cast member.

Concrete replacement on south block of Main Street, U.S.A.
A two-month project to replace concrete in Magic Kingdom Park near Emporium, Main Street Confectionery and part of Town Square kicks off Monday, July 22, after park close.

During the first phase of work, approximately July 23-31, the corner entrance to Emporium (facing Town Square) will not be available so that the sidewalks in that area can be replaced. The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom portal located outside Emporium will be temporarily taken out of the game since it will not be accessible. The portal will return to operation as soon as work completes in the area

For the duration of the project, there will be modifications to the Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party route and schedule, Celebrate A Dream Come True Parade route, Main Street Electrical Parade route, Main Street Vehicles and Main Street Trolley Show route and schedule.

But Disneyland's brick sidewalks are kind of odd, since it's the reverse of what would actually be a c. 1900 street (brick street, paved sidewalk):

Main-Street-USA-DL-99.jpg

DLP and HKDL get it right:

2847473001_34684f0fa1.jpg

Town+Square+and+City+Hall,+Main+Street.+Disneyland+Paris+107802.jpg

And then there's World Bazaar in Tokyo with only a flat street with a fake "sidewalk":

wbrlftout.jpg

Which I hope does not happen at WDW's Main Street, which is already lacking in texture and detail.
Look very closely at the lady with the green umbrella by the Bakery in the HKDL photo. I think she is eating a cinnamon role! No starbucks?

TP2000

I'd say it needs it. Though I really wish they'd take the chance to replace it with something more like brick or cobblestone like some of the non-US Disney parks...

Disneyland also has a lot of brick. It's just Magic Kingdom Park and Tokyo Disneyland that still have the pavement everywhere.

TDO could go the Disneyland route and keep the street itself pavement, but have all the sidewalks and pedestrian plazas along Main Street USA done in red bricks and stone pavers of various colors.
Main-Street-USA-Opera-House-Disneyland.jpg

willtravel

Isn't the pavement suppose to be made of certain material that slightly gives when walked on? Not like regular concrete? I thought I saw that on a Modern Marvels on history channel WDW special.

Otamin

I'd love to see bricks added, but I very much doubt that would happen, sadly.

In my opinion the lack of a bricked pavement and trees make Main Street look a lot less special compared to the other parks.

TP2000

Sped2424

It's possible to have brick or cobblestone walkways with minimal uneven surfaces and cracks (bricks probably a better choice as cobblestones by their nature are usually bumpy). The Disneyland parks in Paris and Hong Kong have Main Street walkways with brick and they appear to be quite smooth and don't look like they are prone to causing tripping or bumpy rides with wheeled vehicles.

http://thehungryegghead.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/img_3106.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3419/3402627693_6544f3b31e_o.jpg

They just look so much better than concrete.

And yeah, probably requiring higher levels of upkeep. So that may be a troublesome mix with the notoriously maintenance challenged TDO.
I vote for brick!

Tip Top Club

Indeed look for flattened out curbs in Town Square by the end of next month.

None of the parades or shows should be cancelled, but there might be some small changes like MiSiCi going all the way around town Square instead of cutting across the emporium, or Trolley shows cutting out their third stop and going straight to the train station stop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom