Main street electrical parade return

brb1006

I'm not sure this board is really a representative sample of WDW park goers. It definitely skews more locals and/or frequent park goers who have (I suspect) gotten bored with MSEP over the years more than your less frequent WDW guests that might have more nostalgia for MSEP.

Actually, given the praise that Spectro always gets, it makes me wonder... does @lentesta or anyone else have any idea of historical guest satisfaction numbers for Spectro versus MSEP at WDW? I'd be curious of the overwhelming preference here for Spectro tends to be borne out among the greater quality of guests.
I'm still waiting for a future Disney Dish episode with Jim Hill that goes over the history of Spectromagic.

brb1006

I might be in the minority here but I think most of the changes Disneyland made to MSEP were not good. The parade has never started with the train. It was always led by a fairy, so if they respect the tradition of the parade so much I don't understand why they did that, and removed the pixie dust trails, when Disneyland was the one that built the Tinker Bell float and put the trails on in the first place! Also, I was excited to see the drum changed back to its original look, but I gotta say now I think it looks really bad the way they did it. They should have kept the LED writing, just changed the text.
I agree, I wish they kept the LED for the Main Street logo to fade like how previous logo looked after the 2009 update.

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm not sure this board is really a representative sample of WDW park goers. It definitely skews more locals and/or frequent park goers who have (I suspect) gotten bored with MSEP over the years more than your less frequent WDW guests that might have more nostalgia for MSEP.

Actually, given the praise that Spectro always gets, it makes me wonder... does @lentesta or anyone else have any idea of historical guest satisfaction numbers for Spectro versus MSEP at WDW? I'd be curious of the overwhelming preference here for Spectro tends to be borne out among the greater quality of guests.

Interesting. I went and looked.

Both parades have virtually identical guest satisfaction numbers, about 4.5 out of 5 on our scale. Spectro's ratings among teens are just a bit higher than MSEP.

Bender123

Both parades have virtually identical guest satisfaction numbers, about 4.5 out of 5 on our scale. Spectro's ratings among teens are just a bit higher than MSEP.

Thats interesting, but I cant really say I am surprised...I would guess the majority of people (People who aren't Disney World obsessed) really don't care about the difference between the two? Having seen both, I have to say I have a nostalgia for Spectro as being purely WDW, but MSEP is also much more known to "non Disney" folks. They are both great parades, but I think we skew ourselves out of the main stream by putting way more value on WDW history than the average park goer.

TTA94

As long as MSEP stays out west, there is always the possibility, though slim as some might say, that MK may debut the new parade much sooner than the 50th. If for whatever reason HEAs popularity begins to slow down resulting in low nightly attendance/guest spending that may force TDOs hand.

Last edited:

brb1006

Now I want to see a future podcast on Spectro soon. I want to know the history behind the Spectromen.

brb1006

Thats interesting, but I cant really say I am surprised...I would guess the majority of people (People who aren't Disney World obsessed) really don't care about the difference between the two? Having seen both, I have to say I have a nostalgia for Spectro as being purely WDW, but MSEP is also much more known to "non Disney" folks. They are both great parades, but I think we skew ourselves out of the main stream by putting way more value on WDW history than the average park goer.
I still believe Spectromagic is pure WDW.

Bender123

I still believe Spectromagic is pure WDW.

Exactly...I think a lot of the reason why we complain a lot about changes is due to us having a direct connection to the past and history of WDW. For all the complaints we make about how Pirates was ruined with the addition of Capt Jack, most average park guests would be disappointed if he wasn't there...They jus do not know/care that the ride used to not have him. They come to the park after seeing the movie and wonder why Jack isn't around.

For us its a tragedy, for them its a base level expectation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Exactly...I think a lot of the reason why we complain a lot about changes is due to us having a direct connection to the past and history of WDW. For all the complaints we make about how Pirates was ruined with the addition of Capt Jack, most average park guests would be disappointed if he wasn't there...They jus do not know/care that the ride used to not have him. They come to the park after seeing the movie and wonder why Jack isn't around.

For us its a tragedy, for them its a base level expectation.

You do have a point there, As to the redhead id rather see her decking jack!

Amidala

At this point, it's sounding like WDW won't be getting any parade (new or otherwise) until the anniversary, which is really disappointing. I understand the wisdom in waiting out the few years and being repaid with a new parade original to WDW, but would at least appreciate MSEP (or Paint the Night obviously, but that's out of the question now) as a buffer in the interim. Main Street is hands down my favorite location in all of WDW, and with Wishes and Celebrate the Magic gone (I know there's been a positive response to HEA, which I still haven't seen, but I don't consider OUAT a worthy successor to CtM), having a parade back on Main Street would really brighten things at night.

I wonder what WDW's plan was when it first shipped MSEP out to DL back in October. I find it hard to believe they willingly got rid of the parade, knowing there would be nothing to take its place. Maybe Paint the Night was on the table and for some reason fell through and was sent to DCA instead? It just seems very shortsighted. I saw MSEP many times during its latest run at WDW, and despite the dated tech and IPs, guests still lined the street in droves to see it. When I was working Main Street for a few months after, guests were constantly coming up to me and asking "When's the nighttime parade?" and outright wouldn't believe me (and quickly got angry) when I said there wasn't one. It seems like it should be more of a priority?

I would have preferred holding on to Wishes a little longer and getting a new parade instead...

jrhwdw

Some guy on Twitter who wasn't Corless claims that MSEP is confirmed to be coming back to WDW. Is that at all possible or is this guy just screwing us??????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom