Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

brb1006

lady-tremaine-cinderella-sassy.gif

I will pray to every Tiki God that exists we are spared from the garishness of PTN polluting our parade route.
I refuse to have that parade be on the same parade route and street and Spectromagic was.

brb1006

Our good buddy "click-bait" is at it again. According to Voldemort, since attendance is down, executives are essentially thinking about bringing PTN to MK to spice things up and try to boost attendance. Sounds like the same old song and dance to me
I'm still not fond of the music style used for PTN.

brb1006

As I said in the Disneyland thread, I can't imagine what kids who have been growing up with Paint the Night are thinking right now. WDW can only benifit from this change, but this is an extremely poor decision on Disneyland's part. For a parade has been under refurbishment for a few months, there are still a few floats missing as was the standard for WDW. This only further proves to me that the parade is too old to run nightly. As someone who has seen Paint the Night in person, it's sad to see Disneyland slip to this standard. Let's hope both resorts change for the better going forward.
I'm still upset about no inclusion of the Dumbo section. I'm still a bit disappointed that they got rid of the second half of the Pinocchio section.

jrhwdw

Wait if PTN did come to WDW it would be for the summer, right? Surely they couldn't ship it, do rehearsals and everything else in time for a Spring break debut?

Now running FOF at night during Spring break and until PTN was ready would make sense.
I agree there. It will be interesting to see at what point in time DL needs to pick MSEP or PTN

brb1006

Not that it really matters to me but why do we have only one PI Float now? Did it not survive the trip or TDA just didn't want to use the other one?
The float still survives but they might have wanted to find a certain way for Pinocchio to be more interactive on the parade route besides sitting. At least he was more energetic in the 80's and and 90's. Since he and Lampwick in the original version were moving like crazy and Pinocchio was stomping his feet in tune to the "Over The Waves" and "I Got No Strings" soundtrack.

brb1006

100% agreed. Aside from various notable exceptions in recent decades, most attractions that Disney has closed have closed for good reasons. I understand Captain EO since it was right after Michael Jackson died, but trotting this parade out yet again is just beating a dead horse. If you watch the show director for the parade, it's clear that the only justification for continuing it is nostalgia.

Bringing something back for nostalgia (which is something that by itself can start to fade the longer you wait) can only be justified when a product has a timeless quality. Unfortunately for MSEP, literally every night parade Disney has built since with the sole exception of Light Magic has pushed the bar higher and higher to the point where it's completely obsolete. I grew up with Spectromagic and I thought it was a major downgrade from THAT. It's even worse here since its replacing a state of the art parade that has been in the park for less than two years. I know Paint the Night is said to have maintenance issues, but it's irresponsible and wasteful on Disney's part to bring this parade out in a way that has a good chance ending up like the Spectromagic situation back in 2010.

Wait Spectro was a downgrade?

brb1006

Is it really true that some of the PTN floats would not fit, be able to make some of the turns, on MKs parade route? Or was that just coming from someone who doesn't want PTN at MK? Lol.
The Mack float might already be a problem for crossing the bridge in Liberty Square

brb1006

@aladdin2007 and @Figments Friend

I agree with both of you about Paint the Night. Paint the Night has many problems, and they all sort of contribute towards the parade being fairly inappropriate for it travelling down Main Street. The floats designs and especially the music are far too contemporary. Perhaps it could fit at DCA or DHS, but definitely doesn't go with Main Street and its late 1800s to early 1900s theme. I made a much more detailed post about my feelings and logic on PtN versus other previous parades in this thread-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/paint-the-night-rumors.909783/page-5#post-7107243

Lighting tech aside (which also isn't without problems in the execution of color and choreography) and a couple of good float designs, I just can't get myself to like Paint the Night. It feels far too modern and techno (or as you said rave-like and garish) for something that travels down an elegant early 1900s town. The music, lighting choregraphy and even underlying float designs (and movie choices used for that matter) just clash horribly.

I'm not going to suggest we need to continue running dilapidated parades without upgrades or changes because that isn't a good solution either. But there are still very important design philosophies in those old parades that need to be adhered to in modern castle park parades. Dreamlights is a good example of how to pull this off correctly- it continually receives new or upgraded versions of old floats with similar lighting tech to PtN (much of the parade is now as advanced tech wise as PtN, and continues to get better every year). But unlike PtN, they mostly did not forego respect and integrity for the surrounding environments in the process.

Take some notes from Tokyo

brb1006

I very much agree with your detailed comments. What also bothers me is the big semi truck float, just what main street needs; a semi truck. is this the mack float everyone was discussing a few posts back? because its really tacky for main street. I really miss the classy magical grandeur of spectro. And was really hoping management would want something of that type of caliber. But management today doesn't understand that any longer I dont think and whatever is the cheapest wins out. Maybe the pressure is on to do something sooner rather than later because its really not the same without a light parade. Nightfall Glow in Tokyo is stunning, music and everything, why cant we have something like that?
I love Tokyo's idea of creating a short parade in place of Dreamlights being able to play due to weather such as being to windy and they come up with this. That's a perfect solution.

brb1006

DL did the same thing last night with MSEP. It's hard to see on the video since Main Street's lights are still on but it's there. IDK if it was just for the media night.

Nightfall Glow is great but it's just a rain parade. Don't know how far you can go with the nightfall glow idea.
Nightfall Glow may not be as perfect but for a short parade that's only ran during nights when it's rainy or windy. Then I won't mind that.

brb1006

According to what I am hearing one of the Pinocchio floats has been removed from the parade since it was so badly damaged being transported across the country. Goes to show how well TDO takes care of it's parades.
That's sad since the second float for the Pinocchio section used to like fun and entertaining to watch as seen in this video at 6:16

brb1006

This is from the premiere night, where you could take photos with the floats, am I looking at this correctly???DL didn't bother to take DEP off the drum???? Just added DL P MSEP?? Or are those just the DEP scars? I was wondering why it wasn't the updated lighting.

C2l_JDKVEAQ3g_I.jpg

Could DEP live again?
DEP scars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom