Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why does this fiasco seem like one of those characters on a soap opera that you kill multiple times, but they always keep coming back?
tumblr_needeg1m151ttma2yo1_250.gif

Because some simply cannot accept that their beloved WDW would cancel a night parade simply to save a few bucks, Any night parade costs millions of dollars to operate and that savings goes straight to the bottom line. The guests will continue to flock to WDW so what's the big deal, Diznee is a Bizness after all...

jpeden

In the Parks
No
No way it's TDR with the Dreamlights Update in 2017 and I would think it would still be fresh for TDL/TDR's 35th in 2018

I agree. Like I said that was based on process of elimination. If it's leaving I'm sure it's going to Shanghai. Only the best for Iger' pet money pit. But hey, his legacy is based on doing what Eisner couldn't make happen so, bully for Bobby.

TTA94

We will see what happens but I think it was obvious from the beginning that WDW and DL was going to swap parades when WDW announced MSEP leaving. They probably didn't say anything about PTN coming because it wasn't the right timing with DL, at the time, announcing PTN returning for the Holiday season.

Disney Analyst

exactly...and it should never feel like you are watching a knockoff...
Honestly with that purpose built stage and arena, they should have some original mind-blowing effects...it should be much more impressive than it's California cousin...

Here is the reason it doesn't work, I have said this in countless Fantasmic debates, but I never grow tired of sharing.

Fantasmic was designed in a place it never seemed like it could exist. They built the show into an existing area, an area you can visit and explore throughout your day at Disneyland. The show works far better at Disneyland because it truly does seem like it came from the world of imagination. One moment you're on that very island, or walking along the river, the next; lighting rigs appear out of the stage, the rivers on fire, and a 40 foot dragon has made the island her home... all seemingly out of nowhere. With the final chords of music everyone folds in upon itself and is gone, as if it never really happened. Was that real? Did we just imagine that?

Fantasmic was designed brilliantly by the original creative team. They created a show that truly bleeds magic.

So why doesn't this work as well at DHS? Well, while the stadium is nice, it ruins the entire purpose of the show, that entire feeling you get at Disneyland. The purpose of the show is to create something unexpected, something truly from Mickey's imagination, you don't really know what Fantasmic is when you see the description in the entertainment guide, you just sit along the river (or stand) and wait to be amazed. Walking into a giant stadium, with lighting rigs hanging over the audience... you know what to expect, you have lost the element of surprise. Then you bloat the show out with extended water screen moments, a far less impressive middle segment with Pocahontas, and a finale that just doesn't feel as grand as Disneyland's. Add in the lack of technological upgrades since the debut... and you have a Fantasmic, that while still spectacular, falls incredibly short of it's older sister out west.

If Disneyland's Fantasmic is rated an A+ (my opinion) I'd give DHS's a C+, and yes, I have experienced both.

drizgirl

Here is the reason it doesn't work, I have said this in countless Fantasmic debates, but I never grow tired of sharing.

Fantasmic was designed in a place it never seemed like it could exist. They built the show into an existing area, an area you can visit and explore throughout your day at Disneyland. The show works far better at Disneyland because it truly does seem like it came from the world of imagination. One moment you're on that very island, or walking along the river, the next; lighting rigs appear out of the stage, the rivers on fire, and a 40 foot dragon has made the island her home... all seemingly out of nowhere. With the final chords of music everyone folds in upon itself and is gone, as if it never really happened. Was that real? Did we just imagine that?

Fantasmic was designed brilliantly by the original creative team. They created a show that truly bleeds magic.

So why doesn't this work as well at DHS? Well, while the stadium is nice, it ruins the entire purpose of the show, that entire feeling you get at Disneyland. The purpose of the show is to create something unexpected, something truly from Mickey's imagination, you don't really know what Fantasmic is when you see the description in the entertainment guide, you just sit along the river (or stand) and wait to be amazed. Walking into a giant stadium, with lighting rigs hanging over the audience... you know what to expect, you have lost the element of surprise. Then you bloat the show out with extended water screen moments, a far less impressive middle segment with Pocahontas, and a finale that just doesn't feel as grand as Disneyland's. Add in the lack of technological upgrades since the debut... and you have a Fantasmic, that while still spectacular, falls incredibly short of it's older sister out west.

If Disneyland's Fantasmic is rated an A+ (my opinion) I'd give DHS's a C+, and yes, I have experienced both.

Having seen both, I absolutely concur.

Ag11gani

While I agree that DL has the much better show, I think the WDW finale is better. The Mark Twain is beautiful, grand and spectacular but I feel the boat itself overshadows the characters, and I find myself looking at the boat rather than the characters, defeating the purpose of the finale. However at WDW the boat, although a little small, makes for a good finale showcasing the characters, hot the boat. The railings on the Mark Twain cover up the characters too much, I want too see their bottom half too(that sounds wrong). With that said DL still has a 10 times better show.

SweetDuffy101

I wonder why are we Talking about Fantasmic,While the thread says about a MSEP replacement. I wonder where is this thread heading. seems like others forgot what was this thread is about.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I disagree, nighttime parades is what made spending the night at the Magic Kingdom extra special. Especially when Spectromagic was still around as seen in this video from 1994.
OK, so first - I will agree that Disney not having a night parade at MK sucks. But one thing people need to remember is that back in the 70's and 80's, the parade only ran during busy times, and even then, not every night. We will get a new parade. I just hope it is before the 50th, as some have thought.

drizgirl

OK, so first - I will agree that Disney not having a night parade at MK sucks. But one thing people need to remember is that back in the 70's and 80's, the parade only ran during busy times, and even then, not every night. We will get a new parade. I just hope it is before the 50th, as some have thought.

I wonder how a "busy" day back then compares with a regular day at the parks now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom