Magicbands Sitting on Shelves

MagicHappens1971

Original Poster
They have the olaf magic band and occasionally the 2015 one sitting open on shelves, and they are for sale. Couldn't just any one take the numbers and link it to there account and drop it in the store and then claim they lost it?

EOD K9

I have no clue, but I am going to take a shot in the dark. I would assume it is like the gift cards you can buy at the grocery store. The number needs to be activated via their system first. You do raise a good point though.

MagicHappens1971

Original Poster
I have no clue, but I am going to take a shot in the dark. I would assume it is like the gift cards you can buy at the grocery store. The number needs to be activated via their system first. You do raise a good point though.
I doubt it though, you don't have to link the magicband so why would you need to activate it?

Rob562

I doubt it though, you don't have to link the magicband so why would you need to activate it?

Because even if you're not linking the Band immediately to yourself, the CM at the register still has to activate it and put it in a "to be linked at a later time" status in the system. Otherwise there's nothing stopping someone from just pocketing any of the Bands on the sales racks and using them.

The gift card analogy is good, or even more appropriate, the MYW tickets and Annual Pass vouchers on the racks in your local Disney Store. Just because you take an AP voucher and walk off with it doesn't mean you can walk up to the Guest Services window at Epcot and exchange it for an AP. The voucher has to be paid for and activated before use.

-Rob

ImagineerDude

Looks like you got your answer, I was late to the party. We experienced this at the Contemporary. My sister wanted to buy a MB but she hadn't bought her ticket yet therefore they couldn't activate the MB (this was before the link it later option) at the register so she had to wait.

SnarkyMonkey

As others have said, there is more of a process of activating a Magic Band then simply linking it to your account. Like any other product, they would know if it had been scanned/purchased or not.

Even if you did, you still need an account, FP+, tickets, ADRs, resort res. Etc. The bands themselves are useless.
So unless someone wants to risk being labeled a thief and so tagged by Disney, just to have an Olaf band, it just isn't worth trying.
Then again we've got a box full of bands in every color and would not want to buy (or "find") another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom