magical express to the port

patch553

Original Poster
we are going to use the magical express for our next cruise, leaving from the grand Floridian. our question is has anybody got any reviews or advice for us? what about our luggage? we usually drive to the port and drop our bags at the terminal before parking. any info would be great thanks

DisneyJoe

Magical Express is the service that Disney provides from the airport to WDW resorts and back and it is complimentary.

Disney Cruise Line transfers are paid by you and can take you to and from the airport and the port or the WDW resort and port.

Both handle your luggage.

The main criticism of using DCL transfers from WDW to the Port is that they don't pick you up at the resort until 12:30pm or so, so you arrive at the Port later than that, some like to be there earlier.

EOD K9

Magical Express is the service that Disney provides from the airport to WDW resorts and back and it is complimentary.

Disney Cruise Line transfers are paid by you and can take you to and from the airport and the port or the WDW resort and port.

Both handle your luggage.

The main criticism of using DCL transfers from WDW to the Port is that they don't pick you up at the resort until 12:30pm or so, so you arrive at the Port later than that, some like to be there earlier.
I've used DCL transfers four out of five cruises. They do handle your luggage as they pick it up from outside your resort room so that's a plus. While yes, you do get to the port close to 1230, by the time you check in, the rooms are usually ready. It's pretty easy to just drop your bags and head to Cabanas for lunch.

21stamps

I've used DCL transfers four out of five cruises. They do handle your luggage as they pick it up from outside your resort room so that's a plus. While yes, you do get to the port close to 1230, by the time you check in, the rooms are usually ready. It's pretty easy to just drop your bags and head to Cabanas for lunch.
For a first time DCL passenger- 1 adult, 1 young child, do you recommend using DCL transfers from WDW? I've gone back and forth so many times. Had decided to just rent a car, car service is more than I want to spend, but now I worry about the rental return/port transfer being hectic.

If we use DCL transfer WDW-port, is there a chance that we could miss out on tickets for gingerbread houses, meet and greets, etc? Does Santa get his own meet and greet ticket?

DisneyJoe

For a first time DCL passenger- 1 adult, 1 young child, do you recommend using DCL transfers from WDW? I've gone back and forth so many times. Had decided to just rent a car, car service is more than I want to spend, but now I worry about the rental return/port transfer being hectic.

If we use DCL transfer WDW-port, is there a chance that we could miss out on tickets for gingerbread houses, meet and greets, etc? Does Santa get his own meet and greet ticket?
re Santa - he didn't 2 years ago - we just had to be there very early, he only had 1 meet and greet, and that was Black Friday at 8am. We were there before 7:30am to get in line.

21stamps

re Santa - he didn't 2 years ago - we just had to be there very early, he only had 1 meet and greet, and that was Black Friday at 8am. We were there before 7:30am to get in line.
Thank you! Was it listed on the Navigator? I'm so scared that we're going to miss something important due to not knowing lol

lilclerk

We used the DCL transfers for our first cruise a couple of months ago, and I liked it. We did get to the port a little later, but we breezed right through check in and walked on the ship, and down to Enchanted Garden for the buffet, then right up to our room. No waiting around. It was nice!

21stamps

We used the DCL transfers for our first cruise a couple of months ago, and I liked it. We did get to the port a little later, but we breezed right through check in and walked on the ship, and down to Enchanted Garden for the buffet, then right up to our room. No waiting around. It was nice!
When did you get tickets? Right after you got on board? Was there anything that you wanted but was already taken?

I don't see my son using the kid club more than maybe once, but I'd like to still go to the open house so he can meet other kids. Do you sign up for that immediately as well, and will DCL transport have any impact on it?

EOD K9

When did you get tickets? Right after you got on board? Was there anything that you wanted but was already taken?

I don't see my son using the kid club more than maybe once, but I'd like to still go to the open house so he can meet other kids. Do you sign up for that immediately as well, and will DCL transport have any impact on it?
I can't help when it comes to tickets, to my knowledge, only the nursery requires reservations. I could be wrong as my girls were too young to use the Oceanear Lab/Club. Next cruise, they can use either, so we shall see.

patch553

Original Poster
Do they all leave wdw at the same time or does it depend on what resort you're staying at? And is it still around an hour to get there?

MotherofaPrincessLover

We took the transfers and got on the ship quite late. I went right to guest services to get tickets and we were able to get them for the gingerbread houses and for the meet and greets.

Phonedave

While I don't like the transfers because of the timing, I will say that when I was one adult traveling with two kids, it did make things a lot easier. Not having to deal with returning a car, watching luggage, getting on the car rental shuttle, etc all while keeping an eye on my two kids was nice.

-dave

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
For all intents and purposes, DCL simply doesn't do group bookings (other than charters). They offer no group pricing or amenities for agents who want to book a group. This is simply because they don't have to. The ships fill up, without the extra perks to agents.

I was on one of the inaugurals for the Quantum. It was a press event really, and I got onboard as part of my company's annual convention.

I was very impressed with it. The food was very good. The stateroom was very nice, and its bathroom was better than the one I had on the Explorer of the Seas. You could turn around in the shower without rubbing up against the walls. The service at the time was below average. We were at lunch in one of the table-service restaurants and there was a problem with somebody's meal. I can't remember what it was, but it was kind of minor. Like the burger had come without tomatoes, or something like that. When she mentioned it to the server, he just sort of stood there and looked at her. I swear that I thought to myself, "Oh my god, he's going to ask her what she wants him to do about it." Thankfully, he didn't, but that was the vibe of the service for that sailing. Nobody really knew how to handle unusual situations.

The ship itself was pretty amazing, I thought. I loved the North Star, although I did it while in port, so it didn't go over the side of the ship. I also did the skydiving simulation, which was very cool. The "promenade" was fantastic. And the signature show that I saw (Starwater), was really weird. It was very cool, a lot of great music and acrobatics and staging (the staging was amazing, to be honest); but I could never tell if it was really innovative or just pretentious.

I don't remember a whole lot else off the top of my head, except that I thought the giant pink bear looked stupid. If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them for you.

I agree completely. And I think you quoted to the wrong thread. :p

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't know that was an option. If we sign up, and don't use it more than one or two activities, will I be taking someone else's spot?

You register on,one to handle all the paperwork then you check them in at the terminal or on board. At check in they get their bracelet.

Most people think their kids won't like the clubs and almost always come back realizing how wrong they are. It's shocking how many don't even try them.... Especially the Tweens

You shouldn't worry about displacing people... They oversubscribe a good bit and at worst they turn people away during a specific peak time in the club.

The clubs are basically like day camp for the kids... Organized activities, close supervision and engagement from the staff, etc

21stamps

You register on,one to handle all the paperwork then you check them in at the terminal or on board. At check in they get their bracelet.

Most people think their kids won't like the clubs and almost always come back realizing how wrong they are. It's shocking how many don't even try them.... Especially the Tweens

You shouldn't worry about displacing people... They oversubscribe a good bit and at worst they turn people away during a specific peak time in the club.

The clubs are basically like day camp for the kids... Organized activities, close supervision and engagement from the staff, etc
Part of my reasoning for not utilizing the club is purely selfish.
It's just myself and son in our travel party. Our daily lives are so busy, I work a lot, and he's in camps during holiday breaks and all summer. Our vacations are a time where we can just have uninterrupted quality time for several consecutive days. The last thing I want to do is go on a cruise and have him be in a club all day. My main reason for choosing DCL was because of the family activities on board..that we can do together. I will show him the daily activities and let him choose a few times to go to the club. During those times I'll take advantage and do a Palo brunch and a spa visit.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Our first cruise, we stayed at WDW for a couple of days, then headed down to the Port for the cruise. Yes, we booked the cruise bus. Round trip per person is $70. Parking in the Disney terminal at the Port was $60 for a 3 night cruise. Since it was our first trip and we had multiple cars, we took the DCL bus. However, subsequent cruises we parked at the Port, mainly because it was cheaper and we wanted to get on the road sooner (we live in Florida) to go home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom