Magic Kingdom - why are they closing so early

Minnesota disney fan

Not only are they closing early for the parties, they are letting the party guests in early. 2 years ago I made the mistake of going to the MK one afternoon planning to spend the evening. They opened the flood gates at 4pm for the 7pm party and let hundreds of party goers in early. Now I don't know if they will let them in at 3pm but would guess so. We experienced long long lines due to the early admission of all the partiers and very congested walkways. We left early disgusted and upset that our time was limited by the early admission.
I don't mind the parties at all, BUT Disney needs to admit them at 7pm as per their tickets. The rest of us paid to get in too. I should have checked hours again, but never suspected they left them in so early! Grrr.......Now the party days have been extended for this holiday season, so less evenings for those who pay regular admission. That's what irks me! I feel we are getting short changed on these many many party days!

jimbo mack

Original Poster
We already have 14 day WDW flex ticket - do we have to pay extra to attend this? It seems very confusing

Minnesota disney fan

We already have 14 day WDW flex ticket - do we have to pay extra to attend this? It seems very confusing

Yes. I don't know what the cost is, but it isn't cheap (at least to me) The park is closed for regular ticket guests at 7 (or in the case 6) pm til closing. They are let into the parks appx 3 hours early, which overcrowds the rides, walkways, etc, and is not fun.
If you want to attend any party it is an extra cost. I would suggest getting on the WDW site and checking the prices.

mouse_luv

Sorry what do these parties mean? Open to all guests after 6pm?

Yes these parties require a hard ticket (special extra ticket) to attend. All regular day guests will be asked to leave at 6 or 7 pm (whatever the time listed is) so that the party can be attended by only those who paid for the specific extra ticket.

AndrewsJ

Not only are they closing early for the parties, they are letting the party guests in early. 2 years ago I made the mistake of going to the MK one afternoon planning to spend the evening. They opened the flood gates at 4pm for the 7pm party and let hundreds of party goers in early. Now I don't know if they will let them in at 3pm but would guess so. We experienced long long lines due to the early admission of all the partiers and very congested walkways. We left early disgusted and upset that our time was limited by the early admission.
I don't mind the parties at all, BUT Disney needs to admit them at 7pm as per their tickets. The rest of us paid to get in too. I should have checked hours again, but never suspected they left them in so early! Grrr.......Now the party days have been extended for this holiday season, so less evenings for those who pay regular admission. That's what irks me! I feel we are getting short changed on these many many party days!
It is common knowledge that party guests are allowed in at 4pm and can even make fastpasses with their party ticket between 4pm and 6pm. It used to be 7pm. A little research and some planning on your part would have really come in handy. Party dates and times are posted months in advance. The responsibility really falls on you.

Cowboy Steve

Yupper. It varies slightly based on the day (for MVMCP anyway). Taxes and all included it is running us $202 for 2 people for a Sunday in December. We are taking advantage of the 4pm entrance for the party so we won't have to burn one of our regular admission days (and that is our arrival day). It is fun for us and we don't mind spending the extra money to go, but it isn't for everyone. Wait times are generally shorter, and the extra shows and the Christmas parade are nice. And all the hot chocolate and cookies you can eat. Many would argue it is not worth $100/person, but with the 4pm entrance it is a solid 8 hours in the park, which is comparable to the time we would spend in the park on a normal day anyway.

Last edited:

elcheapo

The parties are a separate ticket with its own admission price. There are also other threads that discuss Disney and its shorter operating hours (outside of party days).
If I'm already in the park how do they get me to leave. I understand I can't do the rides but I can walk around watch the parades fireworks etc

mousehockey37

If I'm already in the park how do they get me to leave. I understand I can't do the rides but I can walk around watch the parades fireworks etc

For the parties, you have to find a CM and get your magic band scanned. And no, you won't be able to avoid them. The CM's are spread throughout the park and sweep areas. You will be found and your band will be scanned. If you have a valid party ticket, you will be issued an event specific wristband that you MUST wear for the party. When they find that you do not have a party ticket, you will be ushered/led to the park exit.

The Halloween and Christmas parties are NOT the same experience as Extra Magic Hours (which are something included with being an on-site guest).

Cowboy Steve

Those attending the party have a wrist band specific to the event. Anyone without a wristband is politely asked to leave the park. If you are low key and keep your wrists covered (like with a hoodie) you can probably sneak around as long as you like but like you said - you wouldn't be able to do any rides or in the case of MVMCP, partake in the cookies and hot chocolate!

mousehockey37

Those attending the party have a wrist band specific to the event. Anyone without a wristband is politely asked to leave the park. If you are low key and keep your wrists covered (like with a hoodie) you can probably sneak around as long as you like but like you said - you wouldn't be able to do any rides or in the case of MVMCP, partake in the cookies and hot chocolate!

We've seen people try to do this (hiding their wrists). The CM's do a thorough sweep and they WILL ask for you to roll up your sleeves. Anyone without a wristband or party ticket gets found and ushered out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom